Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I can imagine they didn't want to have 8 shocks in standard.

They've had 12 shocks in standard before and it never caused any problems. (Burst Lightning, Galvanic Blast, and Shock in Zendiscars super-standard.)

Turns out that Oops All Shocks would actually be a pretty bad deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I really don't think it's a dead deck myself. The explosive hands it had with bloom were considered too fast for the format. Replacing bloom with explore takes it from a turn 2 deck to a turn 3/4 deck before it starts rolling. This makes it hard to compete with infect or a turn 3 karn sometimes but it's still a deck. Just has some worse matchups due to loss of of speed but more fits what they want a modern deck to be.

I think the initial takeaway of what the new meta may look like is speed vs. tron. If you can't handle infect/burn/affinity and also handle tron, your deck probably isn't in a good place. Neil Oliver just put up an article on CFB which pretty much mirrors my thoughts about the format. We'll find out soon enough.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

I think the initial takeaway of what the new meta may look like is speed vs. tron. If you can't handle infect/burn/affinity and also handle tron, your deck probably isn't in a good place. Neil Oliver just put up an article on CFB which pretty much mirrors my thoughts about the format. We'll find out soon enough.

I completely agree, that is going to be the new metric. In reality, I don't think the speed thing is that different from before though- infect, burn, and affinity are all just as fast as before and can easily kill on turn 4 with regularity. The percentage of the meta that twin took up will probably be filled by those three and hopefully infect and burn will keep tron in check. But there's still a lot of viable decks in modern and I don't think things will be insanely different than before, just remove twin from any previous top 8 lists.

I honestly don't agree much with the twin ban and I don't even play the deck, but amulet bloom was terrible for modern. Too fast for modern cards to interact and stop, and horribly unfun to play against.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

the Orb of Zot posted:

This. Holy poo poo if you take one thing from prerelease or just from my experiences, take that. Like Tar Snare legit cannot kill most TWO-DROPs (EDIT: Wrong whoops) and if you bother running it should be treated as a really lovely combat trick rather than an actual kill spell.

Like I don't even get this anymore. Like has WoTC become so despising of removal that Shock and Volcanic Hammer are now unironically too good for standard?
Have you just never heard of Wild Slash, or what?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also because I'm such a nice guy, I'll gladly take everyone's worthless Snapcasters and Scalding Tarns off your hands. I'll even give you DOUBLE bulk rare prices, and I'll throw in shipping costs.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

edit: this thread doesn't need this kind of poo poo actually

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 17, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm not too worried.

We're probably getting Searing Spear in SoI.

Probably.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Turns out learning to shuffle properly cuts down on the number of muligans you need to take (not a veiled admission of cheating).

Seriously, I forced myself to learn to riffle shuffle because test mash shuffling (for 2+ minutes) regularly revealed clumps of ~5 lands between clumps of ~5 nonlands.

I do bend cards riffle shuffling a bit too much for my liking, though.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

alansmithee posted:

Have you just never heard of Wild Slash, or what?

Yeah, but Wild Slash was a year ago at this point (Fate Reforged) and thanks to the new Standard Rotation will be gone come next set. And even then it was uncommon.

Like I'm still hopeful we get Shock or a Shock variant next set that can go towards the face or to a creature because a standard without that in this day and age is basically insane, but at this point I would just take a Volcanic Hammer reprint. Which would probably be uncommon, but whatever.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

Turns out learning to shuffle properly cuts down on the number of muligans you need to take (not a veiled admission of cheating).

Seriously, I forced myself to learn to riffle shuffle because test mash shuffling (for 2+ minutes) regularly revealed clumps of ~5 lands between clumps of ~5 nonlands.

I think a lot of deck building errors come from people who don't know how to shuffle adequately and get land clumps all the time. Then they play MODO and scream that the shuffler is broken.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Rinkles posted:

What kind of sleeves do you use? I've always thought mash shuffling wasn't all that effective, but with a riffle I'm always worried about bending cards. Seems they're too thick in sleeves to get a proper riffle without doing serious damage.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yeah, but Wild Slash was a year ago at this point (Fate Reforged) and thanks to the new Standard Rotation will be gone come next set. And even then it was uncommon.

Like I'm still hopeful we get Shock or a Shock variant next set that can go towards the face or to a creature because a standard without that in this day and age is basically insane, but at this point I would just take a Volcanic Hammer reprint. Which would probably be uncommon, but whatever.
If SoI comes out without a replacement I think it's likely an issue then, but I can't remember a standard without at least one shock+ effect.

In general I'd like to see more powerful spell effects, rather than just the more and more souped up creatures that come out. Although it seems planeswakers maybe are meant to take some of the place of powerful spells, but that's not really a great tradeoff imo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

I think a lot of deck building errors come from people who don't know how to shuffle adequately and get land clumps all the time. Then they play MODO and scream that the shuffler is broken.

I'm surprised shuffling isn't brought up more frequently (not here, in mtg writing in general) since it's actually a fundamental skill.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

alansmithee posted:

What kind of sleeves do you use? I've always thought mash shuffling wasn't all that effective, but with a riffle I'm always worried about bending cards. Seems they're too thick in sleeves to get a proper riffle without doing serious damage.

Matte Ultra Pros, though I mostly trained without sleeves.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

alansmithee posted:

If SoI comes out without a replacement I think it's likely an issue then, but I can't remember a standard without at least one shock+ effect.
There wasn't a shock in the format pre-FRF, although we did have Lightning Strike and Stoke the Flames.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

If you are mash shuffling with sleeves that aren't sticky for 2 minutes then your deck is just as random as riffle shuffle. The problem you fixed is all in your head.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So what are the chances of pulling a wasteland and a Anissa in the same pack? Further, what are the chances of pulling a Flooded strand in the same prerelease pool?

I begrudgingly went GW allies because that's what the pool had.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

The problem you fixed is all in your head.

No, but I never claimed to be mash shuffle very well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

No, but I never claimed to be mash shuffle very well.

Were you literally mashing the halves together before? I've seen people do that even though it's much easier to keep them loose so the other half can slide right in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Were you literally mashing the halves together before? I've seen people do that even though it's much easier to keep them loose so the other half can slide right in.

How would you mix them without loosening?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Count Bleck posted:

I'm not too worried.

We're probably getting Searing Spear in SoI.

Probably.

It's going to be Pillar of Flames But It Costs 1R this time.

Still sorcery speed.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Archenteron posted:

It's going to be Pillar of Flames But It Costs 1R this time.

Still sorcery speed.

Because as we all know, red has been the scourge of standard these two, long years.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Shuffle video

https://youtu.be/AxJubaijQbI

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I refuse to bend cards that hard. :stare:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

How would you mix them without loosening?
I'm right handed.
Cradle half the deck with your left hand, bottom edge resting on the pinky and the length alongside the other fingers. Thumb loosely on the opposite long edge. Other half in your right hand is held a bit firmer but once it makes contact you can loosen it up cuz if it falls it'll fall on your left fingers anyway. It's how my bro and I have done it for years and you can apply less and less pressure as time goes on cuz it slides right in as you get better with the technique.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Count Bleck posted:

I refuse to bend cards that hard. :stare:

It's more about the difference between riffle and side shuffling. Mash shuffling approximates riffle shuffling, it just doesn't look as slick.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm right handed.
Cradle half the deck with your left hand, bottom edge resting on the pinky and the length alongside the other fingers. Thumb loosely on the opposite long edge. Other half in your right hand is held a bit firmer but once it makes contact you can loosen it up cuz if it falls it'll fall on your left fingers anyway. It's how my bro and I have done it for years and you can apply less and less pressure as time goes on cuz it slides right in as you get better with the technique.

I don't think I use my pinky as support for the bottom. Cool, and thanks either way.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I ordered all the last pieces for all in knight combo. Stuoid birds of paradise. Whatever I'm stoked. Gonna smash some fuckers.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I ordered all the last pieces for all in knight combo. Stuoid birds of paradise. Whatever I'm stoked. Gonna smash some fuckers.

I didn't have enough forests/plains to get kotr to 20/20 by dump my entire manabase into the gy, but people usually scooped as soon as I started the loop.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nissan is terrible with allies. I mean she gets them bigger and I do have lots of vigilance guys but eh. The nice thing though is that wasteland is great for shutting down that dumb land that gives a counter to a colorless creature that just hit the field. That card's a butt. :mad:

Rinkles posted:

I don't think I use my pinky as support for the bottom. Cool, and thanks either way.

You welcome. I'd take pics or make a vid but as you can understand that'd be pretty awkward.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

I'm surprised shuffling isn't brought up more frequently (not here, in mtg writing in general) since it's actually a fundamental skill.

It's a really basic thing so it's assumed that everyone does it properly but I see it happen often enough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

It's a really basic thing so it's assumed that everyone does it properly but I see it happen often enough.

Sure, but I don't even see it mentioned in introductory level articles, and it's something I expect a lot of people don't even realize is a problem for them.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What does your list look like?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Seven riffle shuffles is all you need to properly randomize cards.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

Sure, but I don't even see it mentioned in introductory level articles, and it's something I expect a lot of people don't even realize is a problem for them.

I agree with you 100%. I think it causes fundamental deck building errors due to accidental cheating, or in your case a lot of mulligans that really hurt you.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Molybdenum posted:

I didn't have enough forests/plains to get kotr to 20/20 by dump my entire manabase into the gy, but people usually scooped as soon as I started the loop.

Are you not running a stomping ground and a kessig wolf run? That's usually how I get over 20 if I need to. Between that and using fetches to tap opponents creatures/untap my dorks to float mana for kessig.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are you not running a stomping ground and a kessig wolf run? That's usually how I get over 20 if I need to. Between that and using fetches to tap opponents creatures/untap my dorks to float mana for kessig.

You can also run the spell lands that do things like give your guy pro-color or tap down an opponents creature to get through.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

You should really only need 16 lands in the grave most of the time.

E: I guess this is as good time as any, can someone tell me the State of the Knight Combo union at this point in time? Is it Bant? Naya splashing Blue? Which Knight deck is the best?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

lazerwolf posted:

Seven riffle shuffles is all you need to properly randomize cards.

For a standard 52 card deck, yes. For a 60 card deck, you need 8.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Balon posted:

You can also run the spell lands that do things like give your guy pro-color or tap down an opponents creature to get through.

Yeah I've been running 1 sejiri steppe in my list. Keep a fetch on the field so you can use it to untap knight and find steppe in response to a kill spell. I think I was running somewhere in the realm of 10-11 fetches in my list which is usually more than enough to tap all my opponents creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Alris posted:

Alris posted:

4 noble hierarch
4 birds of paradise
4 knight of the reliquary
4 ruin ghost
4 retreat to coralhelm
4 retreat to kazandu
3 supply/demand
1 idyllic tutor
4 remand
4 path to exile
4 windswept Heath
4 flooded strand
2 misty rainforest
3 temple garden
3 hallowed fountain
2 ghost quarter
1 serije refuge
1 rogues passage
2 Forest
2 plains

SB

3 Geist of st traft
3 spellskite
4 leyline of sanctity
3 pithing needle
2 grafdiggers cage

Two combo exist in the deck.
The Knightfall combo and the ruin ghost combo. Ruin ghost requires both enchantments, knight requires just the one.

• Locked thread