Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm playing Dwarf Mode now and in Dwarf Therapist, about half the animal's gender symbols are greyed out. Does this mean they are asexual? Why are all my animals asexual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Lareine posted:

I'm playing Dwarf Mode now and in Dwarf Therapist, about half the animal's gender symbols are greyed out. Does this mean they are asexual? Why are all my animals asexual?

IIRC Toady broke the default sexuality settings and made it way more likely than it should be, but they also show up like that when they're gelded.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I haven't played since early 2014, should I start up again, or is it still very buggy with the new release?

Are there any half decent tutorials for the new version? My old go-to 51ppycup seems to have disappeared.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

A dwarf caravan came and got spooked by an animal when they were packing up and just kind of stopped. They've been here for a few seasons so I was expecting they were going to go nuts at some point but instead... they turned into barons?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Bomrek Wheelbronzed is stricken by nobility!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Elth posted:

Bomrek Wheelbronzed is stricken by nobility!

A terminal, and most often rapidly fatal dwarven disease.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Haerc posted:

I haven't played since early 2014, should I start up again, or is it still very buggy with the new release?

Are there any half decent tutorials for the new version? My old go-to 51ppycup seems to have disappeared.

Captnduck did a batch of videos last year and I think he was talking about doing a new series once 0.42.xx settles down. He does weekly DF videos on the more recent build, too, but less of a tutorial and more a let's play.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I downloaded the lazy newb pack (now pedexiserrant's starter pack or something?) and tried to play the other day. For some reason, the view tried to scroll with my mouse when i was embarked. What's that all about? also I couldn't seem to move my view past the lower right quarter of my embark location.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ChickenWing posted:

I downloaded the lazy newb pack (now pedexiserrant's starter pack or something?) and tried to play the other day. For some reason, the view tried to scroll with my mouse when i was embarked. What's that all about? also I couldn't seem to move my view past the lower right quarter of my embark location.

LNP comes with mouse support on by default, I think. And you can't view outside your embark area, so I don't know what your problem there is. Do you mean its stuck in the lower right corner and you can't go up or to the left?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

necrotic posted:

LNP comes with mouse support on by default, I think. And you can't view outside your embark area, so I don't know what your problem there is. Do you mean its stuck in the lower right corner and you can't go up or to the left?

mouse support is haraam

I mean I embarked on a map and could only see like 1/4 of said map. The map window showed that there was a bunch of stuff outside of the viewing pane, but I couldn't get to it

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Aleth posted:

Captnduck did a batch of videos last year and I think he was talking about doing a new series once 0.42.xx settles down. He does weekly DF videos on the more recent build, too, but less of a tutorial and more a let's play.

Nice, thanks :)

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Also, what's up with beans and chickpeas? I can't seem to be able to harvest them?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ChickenWing posted:

mouse support is haraam

I mean I embarked on a map and could only see like 1/4 of said map. The map window showed that there was a bunch of stuff outside of the viewing pane, but I couldn't get to it

That's odd about the map. I'd post in the official LNP thread on bay12 forums about it.

There is a known issue with the launcher and changing graphic sets of saved games corrupting raws but that is all I'm aware of.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is it reasonable to up the frame limit to 150 or 200? I've been starting over a fair amount and I wouldn't mind having the first year pass quicker. By about 80 population I've fallen just under the 100 limit I currently use.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's not a terrible idea. You can adjust it on the go, too.

Also, TWBT officially got a x.04 release today. That means all the important bits are current, peep the top of the OP for links.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Getting back into this with the new patch and trying out the tavern and library mechanics. Has anybody built a fortress then come back as an adventurer to sneak a necromancer's book into the library before reclaiming? I'm curious as to the result.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
update on the tree'd dwarf problem (suggested fixes didn't help). Managed to get them down by building a few walls under the tree, cutting down the tree and deconstructing the walls. Still can't see what has them going up there anyway.

edit: dwarf decided to go not drink anything and died of dehydration anyway

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 16, 2016

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Getting back into this with the new patch and trying out the tavern and library mechanics. Has anybody built a fortress then come back as an adventurer to sneak a necromancer's book into the library before reclaiming? I'm curious as to the result.

Not mine.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That would be an interesting idea for a dwarven necropolis. Young dwarves are protected in an isolated part of the fortress, leading fairly normal lives, having families, etc. When they get old, they go to the library, study how to transcend death, and join the ranks of the immortals beyond the gates.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

So did they raise the dead? Were the dead on the dwarves' side or did they attack?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TheCIASentMe posted:

So did they raise the dead? Were the dead on the dwarves' side or did they attack?

As far as I recall, they attacked their necromancer right away, as well as any other dorf in the vicinity.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

ThaumPenguin posted:

As far as I recall, they attacked their necromancer right away, as well as any other dorf in the vicinity.

This is really only a bug if it doesn't have a small chance of not happening. Otherwise it's just dorfing as usual.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, if you update world to 42, do they get the rich literary history generated or am I better off starting a new world?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

So, if you update world to 42, do they get the rich literary history generated or am I better off starting a new world?

You'll have to generate a new world. Old saves won't be compatible with the new version.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I thought I read that they were compatible on the wiki (thus keeping everything in the DF2014 name space)

Edit: I want to generate a world with a longer history anyway. My first world was 125 years, new world I'm in is 550. I think going longer would be interesting.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Lareine posted:

Also, what's up with beans and chickpeas? I can't seem to be able to harvest them?

No, really. I can't harvest wild beans. Designate them for picking does nothing. Putting a gather plant zone on them does nothing. I want my mung beans, goddamn it.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Lareine posted:

No, really. I can't harvest wild beans. Designate them for picking does nothing. Putting a gather plant zone on them does nothing. I want my mung beans, goddamn it.

Making miso paste would provide a great uses for jugs/pots.

Windy Skunk
Jun 15, 2012

The humans visiting my fort sang an interesting song.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

200 fps limit was a great idea until I realized I didn't have any food or drink left and I didn't have any sustainable source setup. Everyone managed to survive except one Dwarf that got stuck on a wall.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

reading posted:

Making miso paste would provide a great uses for jugs/pots.

In the raws, there are notes in soybeans talking about plans for implementing soy milk so maybe next version we'll have miso and tofu and all that jazz.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/688839613482315776

:frog: posted:

Here's another one! We're still going to be working through adventure reputation/quest/etc. improvements, so consider this a first stage. Other highlights are the fortress mode sparring and mug-carrying fixes. Enjoy your zombies.

New stuff
  • New hearth orders for killing beasts and fighting outlaws
  • Added a hunter reputation and cleaned up reputation system around beast-slaying
  • Made citizens understand their relationship to bandits and added reputation for protecting people from them
  • A few lizards
Major bug fixes
  • Made drunken dwarves spar properly again
  • Stopped dwarves from carrying mugs forever
  • Stopped adv goblin performance troupes from attacking strangers while traveling
  • Stopped reanimated corpses from being stuck on wrong side of conflicts
  • Gave underground populations zone assignments to stop them from erupting outward
  • Fixed inconsistent underground vegetation generation (which caused underground site maps to generate inconsistently)
  • Fixed various city vegetation clearing routines which were causing holes in the ground above sewers and catacombs
Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Zombies no longer dodge, parry, block, wrestle or run, and they do charging attacks whenever possible
  • Zombies don't get defense adjustments for body part type and they don't find or stop combat opportunities
  • Reduced zombie strength bonus (old saves will still be strong)
  • Made severing all non-smashed heads put down a zombie (can be reanimated if has working grasp, smashing heads already worked)
  • Made severing/smashing any working grasp put down a headless zombie (can be reanimated if has another working grasp)
  • Neck gets same combat chance adjustment as head
  • Made bandits that run off cancel town harassment goals
  • Bandits camps don't immediately send new armies to re-harass towns
  • Stopped camp bandits from being placed in trees so often
  • Allowed save/load in arena
  • Made creature object load bar page properly
  • Labeled xml encoding as cp437 instead of utf-8

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 17, 2016

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
So that's why my dwarves weren't sparring!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Time to start doing Tower embarks again then!

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Alehkhs posted:

A few lizards

I think someone forgot to finish the sentence they were typing.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Specifics re: lizards:
added skink, chameleon, anole and iguana to creature_reptiles
got rid of lizard eggs again, specified it as common lizard zootoca vivipara in note
corrected monitor lizard toes, added tongues and teeth
added leopard gecko toes, tongues and teeth

Chameleons tragically lack the ability to change colors, but do have a note that color changing needs to be added, so maybe someday.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I keep being hit with the "Need unrotten dye item" bug. How are you supposed to fix that? Forbid barrels?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I know that I like Masterwork and how to use it but don't follow the development of it at all.

So is development over? Did the people involve quit? Its been an uh, really long time since the last update? It seemed like older versions came out much more rapidly? Is Masterwork dead? If not, any estimate on a new version?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nah, it's just a long time coming.

Meph posted:

I'm currently doing some tests with the newest version, downloading mods, reading through raws, etc. But I really want to wait out 1-2 more versions by Toady.

And that was like two weeks ago.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

1-2 more versions by Toady? 4-5 months then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
I really want to play a chameleon-man with camouflage full stealth Solid Snake style.