Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

BCRock posted:

Sounds like a fun trip. Great round on SB too!

Since I live in California, almost everyone I golf with has been to Pebble and they all say pretty much the same thing. Every golfer should go there and it's worth every penny the first time, but it's not a place they're all itching to go back to because it's crazy expensive and there are better courses for much less money.

My group of guys is trying to decide between doing Pebble or Bandon sometime this year. I think we're leaning towards Bandon, but we'll see.

Yeah, everyone I've talked to is all about Bandon. I've heard lots of people be lukewarm on Pebble Beach, but I don't think I've ever heard someone give Bandon a less than great review.

Only downside is it's a pain to get to and also not easy on the pocketbook.

Not that golf is in general. I went over my Mint account after the new year and nearly poo poo a brick when I saw how much I spent on golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

Not that golf is in general. I went over my Mint account after the new year and nearly poo poo a brick when I saw how much I spent on golf.

Just went back through golfshot to add up my rounds for the year. I was right at 40 rounds for the year, which, doesn't sound like a lot but it sure felt like I was playing every weekend. I figure average round cost which includes tee time/range balls/lunch at course to be around $55 or so, add in another $3-500 in buying balls throughout the year and that puts me up around $2500+ for golf last year.

Anyone have any specific goals for 2016?

Mine are mostly to keep shooting in the 70s, break par at least once this year and maybe try and get into some tournaments or something. Everyone I play with always asks if I do play in tournaments since I'm usually shooting in the 70s so maybe it's time to finally start playing in them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Mine are mostly to keep shooting in the 70s, break par at least once this year and maybe try and get into some tournaments or something. Everyone I play with always asks if I do play in tournaments since I'm usually shooting in the 70s so maybe it's time to finally start playing in them.

Once we get thawed out, I want to get at least 3 rounds a month in at my country club because I'm paying for it and dammit, I might as well use it.

I really want to dial in my approaches from about 125-100 yards. Outside of that I seem to do well, and my pitching and chipping has gotten very solid lately, but that distance has given me a lot of issues.

Break 80. I've only done it once and it was on a crappy short muni.

Put my ego aside and get some lessons when aspects of my game are giving me trouble and I think I can work it out myself by just getting more range time.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
My only goal for 2016 is to not backtrack now that I am playing with new sticks. STRETCH GOAL would be to buy no more than 4 dozen balls and have at least 1 of them left at the end of the year. Given my number of rounds last year was 43, if I keep the same balls for an entire round and only lose a hand full I should be OK (I only purchased 62 balls total last year a 50 ball bucket of TMade TP Reds and a dozen ProV1's..until my poo poo got stolen the week before thanksgiving I still had ~20 balls in the bucket.) Doubt I'll get in 43 rounds this year though unless I can come up with $10,000 in the next month to rejoin TPC Piper Glen while their new member special is going. That's the initiation fee, rounds would cost me 45 dollars each 95 for guests and they did away with clubhouse monthly minimum poo poo.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 6, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I want to be nearly fully recovered from surgery by April so I don't miss any of the season here in NY. I may not be able to walk 5-6 rounds a week at the start of the season and don't like paying for carts too often so I might spend more time on the range than usual which is fine.

For my game itself, I mostly want to work on hitting more greens and avoiding 3 putts or missing easy up-and-down par saves. I feel like my driving is the best part of my game and I should make more birdies and pars than I do currently. In 2015 I did a pretty good job at reducing the double and triple bogeys so now it's all about proximity to the hole and sinking more putts.

Also- spend next to nothing on equipment and shoes. Some more polos is okay if they're cheap though. I just ordered 5 dozen Chrome Softs and 5 dozen Bridgestone B330S from lostgolfballs for cheap which should last me all year combined with my leftovers from this season, I need to regrip my 58* but every other club in my bag should be fine for the year.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 6, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Should I get white, tan, or black?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I'd rock the white/green all day everyday! My last shoes before the footjoys I have now where the black/neon green nike lunars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

I'd rock the white/green all day everyday! My last shoes before the footjoys I have now where the black/neon green nike lunars.
Yeah, I think I could get along with the white/green.

These are the ones I wanted but they're out of stock, and part of me wants to ditch the whole idea.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have those in white mesh with blue trim and have loved them to death.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Play less, practice more. Using December in New Jersey is a bad example but I managed to play six times I think, and that was with working 6 days a week as well. I don't track the number of rounds I play but I may have played close to 100 this year and haven't gotten any better.

I rarely practice and as someone who has never broken 90 that's obviously a horrible idea.

Spring plans are to take a bunch of lessons and actually make use of the resources I have available to me.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Also, supposed to play Knollwood in Los Angeles this weekend. Anyone been?

How was Knollwood? Supposed to play there tomorrow if it isn't flooded from all of this dumb rain.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tournament of champions at Kapalua is on tv on golf channel right now.

I can still remember as they move through the holes where my shots went when I played in 2014. Must go back soon!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

BCRock posted:

How was Knollwood? Supposed to play there tomorrow if it isn't flooded from all of this dumb rain.

It was fun! Lots of elevation changes to contend with, which was fun. The sand is very soft, so do your best to avoid the traps. Honestly, I had a blast. It was loving empty when I was there this past Sunday at 8 AM. Greens were pretty zippy too, so have fun with that :D

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

Tournament of champions at Kapalua is on tv on golf channel right now.

I can still remember as they move through the holes where my shots went when I played in 2014. Must go back soon!

I played there many years ago with Kona winds. #18 was everything I had to get home in 3 shots. Great course.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
My goal is to stop playing like rear end. I've been working on a swing change to get more upright and not get stuck. It's yielding results, but my my handicap is ballooning. My trackman numbers are good. I just need to get a little more in to out.

My goals are: (1) get to a 0.0 index (lowest last year was a 1.3); (2) never shoot over 85; (3) get my up and down percentage to 1/3 (I'm a bad chipper, good putter); play in Ireland or Scotland.

Here's to hoping! Golf is weird.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Jordan with -30 to win the Tournament of Champions. That's the equal 3rd lowest 72 hole score in PGA Tour history.

Also:

Most PGA TOUR wins before age 23 (since 1970):
Tiger Woods, 7
Jordan Spieth, 7
Rory McIlroy, 3
Sergio Garcia, 3

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Josh Lyman posted:

Fun story. The 12 Extra Wides of these fit perfect and I found a pair at the local golfsmith for 70 bucks on sale. The next week, my car was stolen and I had left them in the trunk. gently caress my life, I can't find the 12 Extra Wides anywhere.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Halo14 posted:

Jordan with -30 to win the Tournament of Champions. That's the equal 3rd lowest 72 hole score in PGA Tour history.

Also:

Most PGA TOUR wins before age 23 (since 1970):
Tiger Woods, 7
Jordan Spieth, 7
Rory McIlroy, 3
Sergio Garcia, 3

The difference being that Spieth has played in 77 events and won 7, Woods won 18 in his first 77. Still, Spieth is unquestionably the best player in the world and a lot more consistent than any of the other top guys.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

The difference being that Spieth has played in 77 events and won 7, Woods won 18 in his first 77. Still, Spieth is unquestionably the best player in the world and a lot more consistent than any of the other top guys.

That 3-iron he hit at the end of the 3rd round.

By god.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Suprfli6 posted:

That's true, but Spieth has won 2 majors to Tiger's 1(by age 23). Obviously, Spieth has a long ways to go to start talking about his and Tiger's careers in the same breath.

That said, I think the level of competition in 2015 is crazy compared to that in 1995, and to see Spieth dominate like this the past 10 months is definitely worthy of comparison to Woods.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
His swing is free flowing and looks like it will last a long time, by comparison Tigers swing was pretty violent and we are seeing the damaged caused by that now.

I wonder what Jordan can achieve over his career if his body holds up.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Well, the good news is that this will probably still be our golf thread at the end of his career too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I'm on this coming Monday for MLK Jr. day and the wife has a girls day planned at Disney so I'm thinking 36 is in order. Of course the high Monday is expected to be around 60 or so, maybe I'll finally get to wear those Oakley golf pants I bought last year on sale!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Well, the good news is that this will probably still be our golf thread at the end of his career too.

consistency is key in golf and golf threads

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

consistency is key in golf and golf threads

I dunno, I like to keep my golf threads fresh, like Ricky :D

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

His swing is free flowing and looks like it will last a long time, by comparison Tigers swing was pretty violent and we are seeing the damaged caused by that now.

I wonder what Jordan can achieve over his career if his body holds up.

I'm more interested to see if he can keep his putter hot. He's not all that remarkable from tee to green. Good accuracy but average distance, okay iron placement (unless he's ON, which means he's throwing darts). His short game is pretty dadgum good, I'll concede that. Not a Phil or Tiger, but he's up there.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Thinking about hitting up the CareerBuilder Challenge, anyone been?

http://www.careerbuilderchallenge.com/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

I want you to go to this just so you can quietly pass a note to Sergio

DO YOU LIKE KAMEH

[_] YES
[_] NO

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

Oh it's a sponsor. I thought you were going on a reality TV show where you try to get a better job.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

EnsGDT posted:

I dunno, I like to keep my golf threads fresh, like Ricky :D

I've got no problems with the flat bill, bright colors, etc but those high top golf shoes with capris/jogging pants or whatever the gently caress they're calling them that he wore last week just doesn't do it for me. I'm turning into an old man at 28, ugh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If anything, knickerbockers should appeal to you as an old man, c'mon now

E: Ricky should try to use Payne Stewart's swing as well, while he's got the look :v:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

I want you to go to this just so you can quietly pass a note to Sergio

DO YOU LIKE KAMEH

[_] YES
[_] NO

He's not even committed to in the field yet, you dog!

Don't get my hopes up. :ohdear:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This was the end of my round today...

Actually made par on three of the last four holes in that.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Cool photo, what are the greens like in that kind of weather? Worst I've played in is early morning frost.

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
I've just recently gotten into Golf after playing a couple of rounds with my father-in-law using whatever hire clubs the course had available. I picked up a set of Wilson Profile XLS clubs and played my first round on the weekend hitting 115. I haven't had any lessons yet but it is definitely on the horizon.

One thing I'm trying to figure out of course is my horrific slice with the driver. When I'm on the range hitting a bucket of 100 it's easy to adjust slightly and hit it again but obviously playing for real I've only got 18 or so attempts at that. However I noticed playing the other day that every time I hit my 3W it was absolutely perfect. Dead straight, 190m or so. I hit 2 fairways with the driver and both around 220m. I'm considering for my next round only using the 3W as losing 30m to hit a fairway sounds quite preferable.

Is hitting a 3W better than a driver a common thing? Is there something I'm doing differently with my 3W that I can use to focus on correcting my driver swings? The contact and flight on my drivers seem spot on. I'm hitting it solidly but just slicing it way right.

Other than that I feel most comfortable with the pitching wedge. Something just seems to click with that for me so my short game has been really good. Generally once I'm within 100m of the green I can chip and then putt in 1-2 strokes. It's just the 6 that it takes me to get to that point that's ruining me.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah it's perfectly fine to hit 3W off the tee the majority or every time until you get comfortable with your driver.

If you can hit a 3W though, you should be able to hit a driver making the same swing. I think people tend to take smoother and more controlled swings with their 3W while trying to crush their driver and introducing some swing flaws that they don't have for any other club. Stock drivers also have ridiculously long shafts so gripping down on them an inch or two can increase your consistency and actually end up increasing your average distance since you'll hit the center of the face more often and only lose a couple miles per hour of clubhead speed. Then again even with all that in mind, I still took my driver out of my bag entirely for a month last year because I was hitting my 3W so much better so who knows.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Cool photo, what are the greens like in that kind of weather? Worst I've played in is early morning frost.

Mostly unplayable, there was probably a good half inch of snow on them the last couple holes and the ball would pick up snow as it rolled, making it roll like a football. A five foot downhill putt would have to be hit like a 15 foot uphill putt.

The only good thing was that you could go directly at the flags and the ball would just stick, a big change from the start of the round when the greens were partially frozen and were acting like trampolines or doing that interesting thing where the ball would hit the green, not bounce at all, and then roll out like crazy.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

cheese posted:

So I finally got an introductory golf lesson today, after "teaching" myself golf by 1) watching a poo poo load of youtube videos and 2) going out and hitting the ball. I felt like I was doing a lot of things pretty well, and the instructor agreed (took one look at my grip and said "nice!"). He watched me hit a few balls, and pointed out and corrected 3 things I was doing wrong. Literally minutes later (aiming to the right, dangling my arms/not making good arm+chest connection and leaving way too weight on my right leg in the downswing), I hit 3 consecutive 7 iron shots sweeter, farther and straighter than ever before.

Moral of they story: Get a lesson! You can learn all you want from books and videos, but sometimes you need someone who knows what they are doing to look at your swing from another perspective (aka not your own). I will probably go back a few times with a couple of rounds played in between each visit, focusing on the handful of strategies and areas he indicated. I'm pumped!

Good stuff, keep it up

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Saw these in the local Academy. Might pull the trigger on them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Saw these in the local Academy. Might pull the trigger on them later.

Those are my current heavier shoes for wet conditions or bad weather (my FJ Ultralites get soaked if you so much as look at them wrong) They're nice shoes but definitely need some time to break in. I'd wear them around the house or just bend them a bunch at first.