Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

4 noble hierarch
4 birds of paradise
4 knight of the reliquary
4 ruin ghost
4 retreat to coralhelm
4 retreat to kazandu
3 supply/demand
1 idyllic tutor
4 remand
4 path to exile
4 windswept Heath
4 flooded strand
2 misty rainforest
3 temple garden
3 hallowed fountain
2 ghost quarter
1 serije refuge
1 rogues passage
2 Forest
2 plains

SB

3 Geist of st traft
3 spellskite
4 leyline of sanctity
3 pithing needle
2 grafdiggers cage

Two combo exist in the deck.
The Knightfall combo and the ruin ghost combo. Ruin ghost requires both enchantments, knight requires just the one.

Has this list been successful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Errant Gin Monks posted:

4 noble hierarch
4 birds of paradise
4 knight of the reliquary
4 ruin ghost
4 retreat to coralhelm
4 retreat to kazandu
3 supply/demand
1 idyllic tutor
4 remand
4 path to exile
4 windswept Heath
4 flooded strand
2 misty rainforest
3 temple garden
3 hallowed fountain
2 ghost quarter
1 serije refuge
1 rogues passage
2 Forest
2 plains

SB

3 Geist of st traft
3 spellskite
4 leyline of sanctity
3 pithing needle
2 grafdiggers cage

Two combo exist in the deck.
The Knightfall combo and the ruin ghost combo. Ruin ghost requires both enchantments, knight requires just the one.

Mine was a lot less combo oriented, just bant midrange with an oops I win (or pretty close)

http://deckbox.org/sets/1208125

I think the coco and ajani can go, just not sure for what. Cards to hate on tron I guess?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Mine was a lot less combo oriented, just bant midrange with an oops I win (or pretty close)

I think the coco and ajani can go, just not sure for what. Cards to hate on tron I guess?

There's no reason to run Collected Company on 14 hits, that seems like a really bad idea.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's no reason to run Collected Company on 14 hits, that seems like a really bad idea.

Hence the 2nd part of my post?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Has this list been successful?

In play testing yes. But it's my brew so I haven't taken it to anything yet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Molybdenum posted:

My original ran goyf, snap, serum visions and Geist but I found it too diluted so I went straight combo. We shall see if it works.

I'm still working on the SB.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So Grand Prix DC has a 75$/head price, meaning its $225 per team.

loving :laffo:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skyl3lazer posted:

So Grand Prix DC has a 75$/head price, meaning its $225 per team.

loving :laffo:

Lol who's hosting it? Thankfully there's an X-wing championship going on that weekend, so I know what I'm gonna do instead :3:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Chill la Chill posted:

Lol who's hosting it? Thankfully there's an X-wing championship going on that weekend, so I know what I'm gonna do instead :3:

Star city

anglachel
May 28, 2012
You know I just realized that most Twin Players swap out the combo after game 1 and go with a tempo build with Keranos from the sideboard anyways....

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

anglachel posted:

You know I just realized that most Twin Players swap out the combo after game 1 and go with a tempo build with Keranos from the sideboard anyways....

If they know you don't have the combo they use their mana more proactively and you don't get to the mid game. Doesn't work like that. Yes they usually side 2-4 twins out, but you can't play games 2 and 3 like they don't have it, because sometimes they do and you just lose on the spot.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chill la Chill posted:

I poo poo you not this is a quote from reddit

"I'm saying renting an event venue in DC during an election year is going to be more expensive than in an off year."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So, uh. What's your opinions on the standard Mono Colorless deck?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jassi007 posted:

If they know you don't have the combo they use their mana more proactively and you don't get to the mid game. Doesn't work like that. Yes they usually side 2-4 twins out, but you can't play games 2 and 3 like they don't have it, because sometimes they do and you just lose on the spot.

I'm not exactly worried my Tarns and Snaps are going to crater given how much powerful poo poo is still kicking around in UR.

In other news 9-1 this weekend with one crazy deck and one total pile that just got there somehow.

Count Bleck posted:

I don't think it gains anything from being legitimately mono colorless. There's not a very good reason to avoid playing black or white or both. I'm not quite sure why the version I saw had Ulamog and no Ugin. Eugene is possibly a Plague Wind in that deck.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

I don't know if a purely colorless list would work; most seem to be either mono-B (at least technically), BR, and even Mono-G for Collected Company.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Thought Knot Seer is going to be a complete boogeyman in Standard.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not exactly worried my Tarns and Snaps are going to crater given how much powerful poo poo is still kicking around in UR.

It is weird that discussing how twin affected the meta people just keep replying about "you didn't lose any value."

anglachel
May 28, 2012

jassi007 posted:

If only there was a card that cost one more mana that accomplished the same thing..

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

jassi007 posted:

It is weird that discussing how twin affected the meta people just keep replying about "you didn't lose any value."

Considering most of them were saying they were quitting and say I heir decks weren't worth anything now, yeah I think so.

I mostly happy it's free I up sideboard slots and making life easier when playing. Not having to worry about the combo is good. I'm sure twin players are sad their deck lost one of its win cons but in the end I'm excited about what this will open up in modern. If everyone starts playing Tron I will be perfectly happy to burn them in the face and win more matches.

Next up is a set of Kozilek's Return but I'm not sure if 15 gently caress 21 a pop is a fair price. I think 7-10 is fair range.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 18, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I can't figure out how to incorporate Thought Knot Seer into the Eldrazi deck. I think it goes in Mono-B best but I'm not sure?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

jassi007 posted:

Well it should be noted that Wizards won't ban expensive cards. When was the last time they banned an expensive card in Legacy/Modern (outside of the first Modern banlist?)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

anglachel posted:

If only there was a card that cost one more mana that accomplished the same thing..

lightning bolt doesn't kill enchantments

try harder

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GeneX posted:

lightning bolt doesn't kill enchantments

try harder

It kills the thing the enchantment goes on though. And if they tap out you still get the kill. And you only need one blue open to have a dispel ready to go to protect it. And huh? What do you know Deciever Exarch can tap their lands down too....

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Because replacing 8-10 slots of cards that don't do anything great other than enable a combo is a thing people will do.

Claiming at "well UR tempo decks suck without Twin" is myopic because the reason you don't see decks like that much is because because adding Twin was superior to not playing Twin inside tempo shells. Very few decks were completely all in on the Twin combo. The rest of the deck was a bunch of good cards.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can't figure out how to incorporate Thought Knot Seer into the Eldrazi deck. I think it goes in Mono-B best but I'm not sure?

i'm fiddling with br, because I like 2 color and don't have the marsh flats. I think something roughly like this?

3 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Eldrazi Temple
2 Eye of Ugin
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Blight Herder
2 Go for the Throat
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Nihil Spellbomb
4 Oblivion Sower
4 Relic of Progenitus
4 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Thoughtseize
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Wasteland Strangler
Sideboard:

1 All Is Dust
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Crumble to Dust
1 Duress
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Shatterstorm
1 Slaughter Games (probably not this)
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Vampiric Link

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Next up is a set of Kozilek's Return but I'm not sure if 15 gently caress 21 a pop is a fair price. I think 7-10 is fair range.

That's adorable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

i'm fiddling with br, because I like 2 color and don't have the marsh flats. I think something roughly like this?

3 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Eldrazi Temple
2 Eye of Ugin
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
4 Blight Herder
2 Go for the Throat
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Nihil Spellbomb
4 Oblivion Sower
4 Relic of Progenitus
4 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Thoughtseize
4 Wasteland Strangler
Sideboard:

1 All Is Dust
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Crumble to Dust
1 Duress
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Shatterstorm
1 Slaughter Games (probably not this)
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Vampiric Link

Did you forget Terminate is a card?

Also the non existence of Enemy Scars fastlands is still weird as hell.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 18, 2016

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Angry Grimace posted:

Because replacing 8-10 slots of cards that don't do anything great other than enable a combo is a thing people will do.

Claiming at "well UR tempo decks suck without Twin" is myopic because the reason you don't see decks like that much is because because adding Twin was superior to not playing Twin inside tempo shells. Very few decks were completely all in on the Twin combo. The rest of the deck was a bunch of good cards.

I'm just wondering if UR Burn with Delver, Swiftspear, new prowess Mage can be a thing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Did you forget Terminate is a card?

Also the non existence of Enemy Scars fastlands is still weird as hell.

GFT is easier to cast, having black is necessary and easier to do with urborg. BR + Sol Lands isn't always a gurantee. Hands without Sol Lands are super shaky.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skyl3lazer posted:

I poo poo you not this is a quote from reddit

"I'm saying renting an event venue in DC during an election year is going to be more expensive than in an off year."

That's actually a legitimate Thing. (Doesn't mean $75 a head isn't still ridiculous, though. And transportation is going to be hell.)

Why they didn't just do the Dulles Expo Center or Gaylord at National Harbor again confounds me.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 18, 2016

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

anglachel posted:

It kills the thing the enchantment goes on though

Bolt doesn't do 4 damage

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Angry Grimace posted:

Thought Knot Seer is going to be a complete boogeyman in Standard.

I don't think so, at least not at first. It's a 4/4 and the two most widely played midrange creatures are 4/5. I'd stick them in the back of the binder until rotation.

redux
Apr 23, 2008

jassi007 posted:

3 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Eldrazi Temple
2 Eye of Ugin
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
4 Blight Herder
2 Go for the Throat
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Nihil Spellbomb
4 Oblivion Sower
4 Relic of Progenitus
4 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Thoughtseize
4 Wasteland Strangler

This deck only has 8 colorless sources which I don't think is quite enough. It's not a great solution but replacing some of the dual lands with pain lands may be necessary for the two color eldrazi decks.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I really wanna play Thought-Knot with Ruins of Oran-Rief to help it get past Rhinos and Tasigur.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Thought-Knot's going to be so good in Modern

Same with Sea Gate, except that's more likely to be a player in Legacy and Vintage.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hey guys, don't loving force mono-red:

Pictured above: a second pack, pick three Jace the Mind Sculptor. Christ, MTGO players. I still slammed it because I'm not taking Arc Trail over JTMS. My opening second pack had a Karn, Fact or Fiction, and Reanimate, all cards I would have easily first picked had I not gone with Goblin Rabblemaster P1P1 into Koth P1P2 and gotten suckered into this poo poo.

my draft is a trainwreck and it's all my fault

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Hey guys, don't loving force mono-red:

Pictured above: a second pack, pick three Jace the Mind Sculptor. Christ, MTGO players. I still slammed it because I'm not taking Arc Trail over JTMS. My opening second pack had a Karn, Fact or Fiction, and Reanimate, all cards I would have easily first picked had I not gone with Goblin Rabblemaster P1P1 into Koth P1P2 and gotten suckered into this poo poo.

my draft is a trainwreck and it's all my fault

i'm the frenzied goblin

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
JTMS is perfect for the Mono Red deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Konstantin posted:

I don't think so, at least not at first. It's a 4/4 and the two most widely played midrange creatures are 4/5. I'd stick them in the back of the binder until rotation.

It's a 4/4 with Vendilion Clique's effect except better people are gonna loving hate this card.

jassi007 posted:

GFT is easier to cast, having black is necessary and easier to do with urborg. BR + Sol Lands isn't always a gurantee. Hands without Sol Lands are super shaky.

You should be able to cast Terminate in a B/R/x deck without a problem. Go For the Throat is worse enough that I don't think its worth running over Terminate.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a 4/4 with Vendilion Clique's effect except better people are gonna loving hate this card.

It's better in the format where you can actually drop it on turn 3.

• Locked thread