Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know I'm way behind on this, but I just finished The Jinx on HBO streaming and it is amazing. I cannot believe how it ends, with a gag from The Simpsons literally happening in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

I know I'm way behind on this, but I just finished The Jinx on HBO streaming and it is amazing. I cannot believe how it ends, with a gag from The Simpsons literally happening in real life.

I just started this last night. Robert Durst is probably the most intensely unlikeable human being I've ever encountered in the media. Not even "this is edited to portray him as a creep," like, actually full-on narcissistic sociopath heebie-jeebies kinda dude.

There's quite a comparative study to be done on Steve Avery and Robert Durst: the wealthy inhabit a totally separate plane of reality when it comes to justice. (I didn't need a miniseries to demonstrate this, but a lot of people don't grasp how tremendously money lubricates the wheels of the legal system in one's favor.)

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 17, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Can anybody give an overview of The Shield? It got added to Hulu recently. All I know about it is that it's about police, starred some bald guy, it's dark or something, and is supposed to be good. I thought it was set in NY but apparently it's LA. I watched the pilot which was a bit shaky but still entertaining. I wasn't really prepared for how old it looked (the Kid Rock song at the end was a bit embarrassing). How does this show hold up?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's pretty good, a little better than 24.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Can anybody give an overview of The Shield? It got added to Hulu recently. All I know about it is that it's about police, starred some bald guy, it's dark or something, and is supposed to be good. I thought it was set in NY but apparently it's LA. I watched the pilot which was a bit shaky but still entertaining. I wasn't really prepared for how old it looked (the Kid Rock song at the end was a bit embarrassing). How does this show hold up?

The Shield is one of my favorite shows ever, up there with Breaking Bad imo. I re-watched a bit of it a couple years ago and guys are constantly using pagers and flip cell phones. I think there's an occasional pay phone too. If you can get past this stuff that dates the early seasons it's definitely worth watching.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

david_a posted:

It's loving awesome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is the main draw of The Shield? I've always heard good things about it, but honestly it's never looked remotely appealing to me. It always just reminded me of NYPD blue or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

What is the main draw of The Shield? I've always heard good things about it, but honestly it's never looked remotely appealing to me. It always just reminded me of NYPD blue or something.

It rolls deep in the mechanics and motivations of a corrupt police special crimes unit and the larger department they operate in, with complex characters that run the gamut from mostly good trying to get by to mostly fuckheads abusing their power.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

NESguerilla posted:

I only watched The Shield a year or so ago for this exact reason but boy howdy was I ever wrong. It is definitely up there with The Wire and Breaking Bad in terms of the fantastic story and character arcs. There are some truly :asoiaf: moments and Forrest Whitaker and Anthony Anderson are fantastic in the 5th season, especially Anderson.

And then there's the last episode. One of the most truly satisfying, tragic and compelling finales I have ever seen. The way it all ends for Vic Mackey is absolutely perfect and seeing it all come together was most definitely worth the ride. It did take me 3 or 4 episodes to become invested... but once I was hooked I could not get enough. You really should watch it all the way through, but give it at least 4 episodes and see how it grabs you.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

NESguerilla posted:

NYPD Blue was a procedural, albeit one of the higher brow procedurals. The Shield has procedural elements but much more overarching plot, especially as it advances into later seasons. Events from as early as the first episode echo throughout the series (and not in a Lost "oh yeah, and here's why that one thing happened" way.)

It is an excellent show that is deservingly ranked up there with The Wire, but I do think it takes until the end of the first season for the characters to really settle in and start to gel into what the show becomes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I dunno if I can finish Making a Murderer. I'm already super pissed off on the second episode.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mr E posted:

I dunno if I can finish Making a Murderer. I'm already super pissed off on the second episode.

Keep going. Just keep going.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

david_a posted:

In addition to what others are saying about The Shield, it has some really great characters backed up by excellent acting. In particular, Walton Goggins is a treasure.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

First time I've tried this and holy poo poo. There has to be a catch, right? They don't ban users for using this? It's amazing this is free.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Blind Rasputin posted:

First time I've tried this and holy poo poo. There has to be a catch, right? They don't ban users for using this? It's amazing this is free.

It's going to cost $7 for a lifetime subscription once it's out of beta, but that might not matter now that Netflix has pledged to start cracking down on international proxies. It's a shame, too. I've been using Netflix way more than usual since discovering Smartflix.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh my god that white Christmas episode of Black Mirror. Just oh my god.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NESguerilla posted:

In addition to the other great things mentioned already about The Shield, it is heavily inspired by the corruption in the LAPD Rampart division. So when you start going "holy poo poo this is loving unbelievable", keep in mind that significant parts of the show are based in actual scandal. :aaa:

Really, it is one of the best shows I've ever watched and is incredibly satisfying.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Black Mirror, has it been mentioned that Netflix is making the third series? If not, hey, Netflix ordered a 12 episode 3rd series for the Black Mirror.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Supposedly season 1 of Better Call Saul will be coming soon as well (remember how Netflix got exclusive streaming rights when the show was first announced?)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I have been watching Mozart in the Jungle and so far I like it. It's on Amazon prime. Kind of interesting and I never cared about Orchestra previously.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

david_a posted:

The Shield came out right around the same time as The Wire, and was FX's first attempt at a serious drama and serial programming. It has some of the blackest gallows humor and darkest storylines until True Detective in my opinion (on basic cable, by the way), and I think it suffers a bit from 'edgy for edgy's sake' in some of the early episodes. If I recall, Season 4 was when the production staff found out they were definitely getting 7 seasons and that's where the central story starts building momentum like a freight money train :v: into possibly the best finale ever on television. In short,

Regnevelc posted:

It's loving awesome.

Chichevache posted:

In addition to the other great things mentioned already about The Shield, it is heavily inspired by the corruption in the LAPD Rampart division. So when you start going "holy poo poo this is loving unbelievable", keep in mind that significant parts of the show are based in actual scandal. :aaa:

Really, it is one of the best shows I've ever watched and is incredibly satisfying.

The show was originally named Rampart, but they changed it because they figured it was too much of a local LA reference. Almost every incident in that wikipedia article appears as a plot point in The Shield.

Now I have a hankering to rewatch S5-7 for the fourth time.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 18, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Allright. You guys sold me on the Shield. it's been bumped to #1 on my to watch list.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Forest Whitaker should have received an Emmy nomination for his work on The Shield. He's got the best room destroying scene since Citizen Kane. It is absolutely amazing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but Interstellar is on Amazon Prime. This movie is so, so good. Watch it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pahuyuth posted:

I only watched The Shield a year or so ago for this exact reason but boy howdy was I ever wrong. It is definitely up there with The Wire and Breaking Bad in terms of the fantastic story and character arcs. There are some truly :asoiaf: moments and Forrest Whitaker and Anthony Anderson are fantastic in the 5th season, especially Anderson.

And then there's the last episode. One of the most truly satisfying, tragic and compelling finales I have ever seen. The way it all ends for Vic Mackey is absolutely perfect and seeing it all come together was most definitely worth the ride. It did take me 3 or 4 episodes to become invested... but once I was hooked I could not get enough. You really should watch it all the way through, but give it at least 4 episodes and see how it grabs you.

I can only agree for the most part because when the Shield was on, I was in a time of my life that was non-conductive to watching it for one reason or another. I'm definitely going to have to finally sit down and watch it from beginning to end now that I know it's on Hulu!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I vaguely remember that Netflix was suppose to start having more disney movies and star wars at the start of the year. Am I misremembering? What happened with that?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alterian posted:

I vaguely remember that Netflix was suppose to start having more disney movies and star wars at the start of the year. Am I misremembering? What happened with that?

It applies to new movies starting this year, so Disney stuff released 2016 onward shows up on Netflix a few weeks after the films leave theaters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So in 30 for 30 news, Elway to Marino is pretty good if you're into the NFL draft and it's impressive to see who was drafted when and how everyone turned out (The guy drafted last in the first round lasted from 1983-2002, while one guy near the top lasted like six games before he was cut).

morestuff posted:

It applies to new movies starting this year, so Disney stuff released 2016 onward shows up on Netflix a few weeks after the films leave theaters.

I think they also said Star Wars would show up either first or exclusively whenever it does show up.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

computer parts posted:

I think they also said Star Wars would show up either first or exclusively whenever it does show up.

It looks like that's the case for future Star Wars stuff, but Force Awakens is only going to Canadian Netflix

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

morestuff posted:

It looks like that's the case for future Star Wars stuff, but Force Awakens is only going to Canadian Netflix

Just when Netflix starts to crack down on using international proxies... :tinfoil:

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Okay so 2 or 3 months ago I caught The Nightmare on Netflix because of a recommendation from this thread and because I had some notion that I had experienced sleep paralysis sometime in the past and had only vague memories of memories encompassing some mixture of fear and confusion. I actually turned the documentary off about 2/3 of the way through because I found it pretty boring and repetitive. Well needless to say I had an experience last night that I figured I should share, and I don't know if this documentary triggered it or it was coming either way because of some terrible mixture of nyquil and melatonin I took, or because the jerk chicken pasta I had for dinner was bad, but this dream was extremely vivid and the events that occurred in it were basically indistinguishable from reality.

I was right on the cusp of falling asleep when a lightning bolt shot through my body and the connection between my brain and my muscles was almost completely severed, and this realization was accompanied by two demon hands that shot up through my mattress at both sides of my torso and began holding me down, restricting my very ability to even breathe :gay: The room grew much darker than it was before and very air gained a very sinister feel to it. Faces of monsters began to materialize all over my walls as something huge and foreboding made its presence known behind the door to my room, laughing and jiggling the door handle in attempt to gain entry/scare me. Everything had a tangible quality to it and had "weight" and realness to it. The entire time I knew none of this was "real" and that I was merely having a sleep paralysis episode, but that did nothing to help me regain control of my limbs. So after about 20 or 30 seconds of this psychological demon torture I realized I needed someone to shake me awake or something, so I began trying to yell the words "help me" but I could either only mouth the words or get out a pitiful, raspy "hmm mmm" from the back of my throat. I regained some control of my legs, and seeing as how my mattress was directly on the floor I tried to bang my heel there to get someone's attention downstairs. I lifted my leg up and as I tried to bring it down they stopped about an inch from the floor, unable to make contact. I'd say about a minute after the experience began, I experienced another lightning bolt and instantly regained total control of my body and found myself in the same position I was in when I went to sleep, the covers undisturbed and my room back to it's normal, unremarkable light. I sighed with relief, shrugged and went back to sleep.

Overall it was pretty mildly annoying but nothing that would "shake my very psyche down to its core" as the documentary would have you believe. If it started happening every night I think it would just be one of those annoyances that you learn to deal with with age. I think just knowing what sleep paralysis is is enough to combat any worries that I was experiencing a demon possession or a paranormal event or something stupid like that.

Unless a demon actually was trying to possess me, in which case the documentary has succeeded in totally lowering my defenses :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I've been having a hard time falling asleep, so thanks for this cure.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Chichevache posted:

Forest Whitaker should have received an Emmy nomination for his work on The Shield. He's got the best room destroying scene since Citizen Kane. It is absolutely amazing.

No lie, his performance was incredible. The Shield had some great performances all around. Whitaker and CCH Pounder were the standouts for me.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I haven't organized my Netflix instant queue in a while, so I went in to do it today and the drag/drop interface is loving terrible. Is there a better way to do it?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

axleblaze posted:

Speaking of Black Mirror, has it been mentioned that Netflix is making the third series? If not, hey, Netflix ordered a 12 episode 3rd series for the Black Mirror.

I think it was mentioned before, but I don't know if at the time they announced how many episodes. I hope they keep up the quality if they're gonna deliver that many shows, the previous 2 seasons were each only 3 or so iirc. And even those were somewhat hit and miss in terms of the stories themselves.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Brocktoon posted:

I haven't organized my Netflix instant queue in a while, so I went in to do it today and the drag/drop interface is loving terrible. Is there a better way to do it?
Certainly not an official one; Netflix is really pushing that 'dynamic order' thing. I turned that on a few weeks ago and I'm not very impressed. I was watching through a six-episode series and every time I would go into Netflix it kept getting shuffled further and further back.

There used to be third-party mobile apps that could do it but I wouldn't be surprise if they are all locked out when Netflix shutdown their API. The one I had was worthlessly unreliable anyway.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

david_a posted:

Watch it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I've watched three episodes of the shield now. It's pure goon LA cops fuckery. Them holding that basketball player against his will just to try to win some betting money was hilarious.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've watched three episodes of the shield now. It's pure goon LA cops fuckery. Them holding that basketball player against his will just to try to win some betting money was hilarious.

The first season is full of that kind of ridiculousness. It's almost charming and quaint when you look back at it from seasons 4 or 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

speshl guy posted:

Overall it was pretty mildly annoying but nothing that would "shake my very psyche down to its core" as the documentary would have you believe. If it started happening every night I think it would just be one of those annoyances that you learn to deal with with age. I think just knowing what sleep paralysis is is enough to combat any worries that I was experiencing a demon possession or a paranormal event or something stupid like that.

Unless a demon actually was trying to possess me, in which case the documentary has succeeded in totally lowering my defenses :shrug:

Well, I haven't seen the documentary but like, A. this seems like very much a different people react differently type of situation and I don't think it's necessarily fair to judge other people's sense of stability based on a single experience. Especially since from whst I've read the documentary primarily focuses on seeing these people's subjective experiences. Although, again, I haven't seen it so maybe I'm wrong

And

B. As someone who gets sleep paralysis semi-often (although, not as often as I used to ), the knowledge of what you're experiencing never helped me that much. I mean, it's like - something in your brain I dunno but either way there is (for me anyways) always just this complete panic/fear no matter how I look at it. Like, I'm usually able to catch what's happening pretty quickly now but it just gives me different things to worry about, "How long will this last it feels like forever dreams can feel so long I have no control anything could happen and it'll feel real even though I know I'm dreaming I just want to stop this" and y'know, so on.