Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
wheels don't work well in the desert of Tatooine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Or the ice of Hoth, or the Cloud City of Bespin, or the swamps of Dagobah, or the forests of Endor.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

How come planets in the star wars universe all seem to have one climate that covers the entire world regardless of latitude?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Them the characters would be saying "there's a secret base in the Arctic of planet Hoth. By the way most of the planet is actually quite warm but we won't have a chance to go there."

Also R2D2 rolls ever where.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I'm no expert on the prequels, so I might be really wrong on this, but the wheel apparently doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe. Every vehicle either hovers or walks.

It's worse in Star Trek--all planetside aliens walk, all the time. And refer to "my people" a lot

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

artsy fartsy posted:

It's worse in Star Trek--all planetside aliens walk, all the time. And refer to "my people" a lot

To be fair to the second point, it's an established part of Star Trek that when a civilization progresses to the spacefaring phase that they generally have become unified as a society, Earth included

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I'm no expert on the prequels, so I might be really wrong on this, but the wheel apparently doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe. Every vehicle either hovers or walks.

Uhh, excuse me, I believe you'll find that there are several examples of wheels in Star Wars:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wheel

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I just realised that "jet" as in "jet black" refers to lignite. Not some kind of paint used on jet planes.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Centigrade, the old name for Celsius, refers to the 100 degrees between boiling and freezing of water in that scale.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CopywrightMMXI posted:

...R2D2?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Intoluene posted:

I just realised that "jet" as in "jet black" refers to lignite. Not some kind of paint used on jet planes.

I was going to correct you and say it refers to the gemstone, jet, not to coal, but it turns out the gemstone is lignite :aaaaa:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It took me forever to realize that "matinee", in reference to theater showings or whatever, is the same as the French word, because nobody pronounces it or spells it right.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Ryoshi posted:

...R2D2?

Does he have wheels? I honestly can't tell if he does or if he just hovers.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
wookie pedia says they are "motorized all-terrain treads"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vashro posted:

wookie pedia says they are "motorized all-terrain treads"

yeah you can see that in A New Hope with the sandcrawler.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

It took me forever to realize that "matinee", in reference to theater showings or whatever, is the same as the French word, because nobody pronounces it or spells it right.

How the gently caress are people pronouncing it?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

KillHour posted:

How the gently caress are people pronouncing it?

mattin' eh.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
how the hell do you think it's supposed to be pronounced, then

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

InediblePenguin posted:

how the hell do you think it's supposed to be pronounced, then

mah-tea-nay.

I get that it's a loan word but I grew up bilingual so any French words that aren't pronounced the way you'd say them in French trip me up (see: sans, rendezvous).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

mah-tea-nay.

I get that it's a loan word but I grew up bilingual so any French words that aren't pronounced the way you'd say them in French trip me up (see: sans, rendezvous).

How are you hearing people pronounce rendezvous? Is it not ron-day-voo? Were my Quebecois french textbooks full of lies?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

How are you hearing people pronounce rendezvous? Is it not ron-day-voo? Were my Quebecois french textbooks full of lies?
If she says she hears it pronounced "ron dez vez," so help me God

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'll be sure to steer clear of the subject if I ever meet her during a sampling of horse derves

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I beat you all to this subject by like three months with Camus. :colbert:
I didn't want to cause a derail at the time but since we're talking about this anyway, I don't see how "kah-moo" is so totally off from the link that was posted that someone felt the need to post a link and act incredulous.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I guarantee it's an extremely subtle difference in vowel shape that only native French speakers can hear or indeed care about.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Henchman of Santa posted:

stubblyhead posted:

I guarantee it's an extremely subtle difference in vowel shape that only native French speakers can hear or indeed care about.

Yeah it's really not that different, the only change is that the last syllable goes from "voo" to "vuu", and the first syllable sounds like you're taking a bite out of an apple. It's not a big deal or anything, it just always sounds "off" to me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Words like "valet" and "foyer" are properly pronounced as read in English.

People try to put on airs with those but nope.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah it's really not that different, the only change is that the last syllable goes from "voo" to "vuu", and the first syllable sounds like you're taking a bite out of an apple. It's not a big deal or anything, it just always sounds "off" to me.

The problem is that most native English speakers cannot make the proper sounds for those words. It's the closest we can do without years of practice. When you add that to the fact that native English speakers have a MUCH wider variety of accents than native French speakers (and the fact that we have a poo poo ton of loan words with weird and non standard rules), you'll understand why we aren't very precise about proper pronunciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-en-iDeZEE

KillHour has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Jan 18, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
On va camping sur la weekend et on va mange les hamburgers et les hotdogs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

On va camping sur la weekend et on va mange les hamburgers et les hotdogs.

It's the best excuse I got. v:shobon:v

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Canadian French doesn't count. You can fake fluency in that by getting drunk and rattling off a list of things you might see in a cathedral.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

syscall girl posted:

Words like "valet" and "foyer" are properly pronounced as read in English.

People try to put on airs with those but nope.

Are you saying that you pronounce valet so it rhymes like pallet? If you're going to somewhere fancy enough that someone takes your keys and parks for you, I don't think you have to worry about sounding like Mr Fancywords.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RandomFerret posted:

Canadian French doesn't count. You can fake fluency in that by getting drunk and rattling off a list of things you might see in a cathedral.

Excuse me that's Quebec French. Ontario French has the decency to comprise 75% of our linguistic makeup with English words.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

Are you saying that you pronounce valet so it rhymes like pallet? If you're going to somewhere fancy enough that someone takes your keys and parks for you, I don't think you have to worry about sounding like Mr Fancywords.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

No.

I'm thinking of the movie Roadhouse.

And yes, you pronounce it like pallet.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

syscall girl posted:

No.

I'm thinking of the movie Roadhouse.

gently caress. I always used the mispronunciation.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Excuse me that's Quebec French. Ontario French has the decency to comprise 75% of our linguistic makeup with English words.

I learned everything I need to know about Canada from Mike Myers and The Trailer Park Boys.

syscall girl posted:

I've only ever heard people from the UK do this. In the US, it's pronounced like it is in French.

KillHour has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Jan 18, 2016

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lady Naga posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize. I have relatives up in Penetang, so you know that I mean that when I say it.

I am so, so sorry.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Roro posted:

gently caress. I always used the mispronunciation.

A val-LAY parks your car. A VAL-ett is your body man/butler.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Besesoth posted:

A butler and a valet are different things. A valet is basically a PA, a butler is in charge of managing the household and other servants.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Besesoth posted:

Apparently, one camp was loving it up long enough that now they're just both ok.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/valet
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/valet

It happened to "often" and now it's happened to 'valet'

OFF-EN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I just found out in the mission Flatline in GTA4 you can put on doctors scrubs to get into the dudes room to kill him without getting a wanted level. I did this mission probably 50 times back in the day because you'd get 4-5 stars for walking to the guys room in normal clothes. Holy poo poo. :aaaaa: :psypop: