Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got linked to this and I feel like it justifies the entire FFX LP

Nah, there's no Holy Blitzball Bleetzboll covered in chainsaw blades/Warp energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Blitzball

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

VolticSurge posted:

Nah, there's no Holy Blitzball Bleetzboll covered in chainsaw blades/Warp energy.

iirc Wakka's Celestial weapon is just a blitzball adorned with SICK BLADES sooooo

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
THE DAY I HAVE BEEN SILENTLY WAITING FOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whj8Kkax7Rk

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
METAL SLUG IS THE GREATEST. gently caress YES.

Metal slug 3 is the first game I actually legit beat in an arcade with fistfuls of coins.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

METAL SLUG IS THE GREATEST. gently caress YES.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"Sand-blasted grease monkeys" holy poo poo, Wakka.

The FFX LP is amazing. :allears:

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 18, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aside from the WOOF Portal joke from Woolie that's a pretty god drat good episode of FFX. Never have two grown men been so happy to be poo poo on by a video game character.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CJacobs posted:

It is possible for it to happen, like the whole reason Dark Souls got a PC version is because people were really vocal about how much they wanted it- which in turn led to Dark Souls 2 getting a PC version and maybe even 3 when it comes out. But it's probably not possible for the Vita, which was basically dead on arrival

I'm pretty sure Dark Souls sold more copies than Sony has Vitas, so that probably helped a little.

The other thing to remember is, Phase 1 of this plan was "let's make a list of dream games that might feasibly be ported to Vita and form a campaign to push for them". He's now moved onto Phase 2 which is "okay pretty much every game/dev/publisher on that list is not going to happen but I scraped the bottom of the barrel and found some stuff, no I can't say what it is, get hype~"

HGH posted:

Enough people bitched that they made Gravity Rush physical in NA, and that's just as niche considering it's a Vita game, so it's not that impossible as long as it's small scale.

That was years ago, back when the Vita wasn't quite dead and was merely in the process of dying.

There is still a market for boutique, made-to-order physical releases for indie games thanks to outfits like Limited Run Games but that's still only catering to a niche within a niche and is essentially a vanity project.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He mentions on the thread thing that the list is four games long. I don't care for the Vita but even I am a bit :smith: at that "lets launch a campaign, if we can double our numbers we'll reach five thousand and maybe, just maybe, there will be four games ported to the vita!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Goes without saying, but nobody should trust Liam on the Metal Slug defense game, it is terrible

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 18, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
During Metal Slug, Woolie was wondering if the developers designed a fair game first, then Paul Marketing came in and demanded a specific number of quarters etc.

It seems to have been the generally accepted "science" among arcade game developers and arcade owners that every quarter inserted should last the player roughly two and a half minutes to three minutes. That, apparently, was the golden amount of time that kept players happy and kept collections high (since the player would either insert another quarter, or leave the machine so someone else could play).

From the Ghouls & Ghosts operator manual:

From the logged playtime statistics on a copy of Sega's Hot Rod that the MAME dev team dumped:

From an AMA with Yu Suzuki:

quote:

With an arcade game, you are restricted to a 3 minute window to express what the game is. That is how I made games for the longest time. I wanted to create a game that could be played at a more leisurely pace, so I created what ended up being Shenmue.

...then, of course, you had games like Rare's Battletoads, where the final boss was invulnerable (but would appear to take damage) for 45 seconds after spawning, or the US version of Double Dragon 3, where you had to buy weapons and special moves from an in-game store using your real quarters, and other money-grubbing dick moves like that. But you get the idea!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The FFX LP is the gift that keeps on giving.

I honestly don't know which I like better, Rihanna's music playing during her summoning or the Dark Souls intro to the Thunder Plains.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"The How To Play screen is more of an SNK character than Terry Bogart."

Bless you Liam :allears:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

fatherboxx posted:

Goes without saying, but nobody should trust Liam, it is terrible

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

"THE TANK IS BEING PILOTED BY A SMALLER, MORE DETERMINED TANK!"

Metal Slug was an amazing idea. So hype. :allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In the friendcasts, whenever one of the Zaibatsu express their disapproval, they use some sort of plushie with lovely sound quality to express themselves. What is that?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Grouchio posted:

In the friendcasts, whenever one of the Zaibatsu express their disapproval, they use some sort of plushie with lovely sound quality to express themselves. What is that?

It's Matt. Didn't you see the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SbEhLDZC0

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Metal Slug was my childhood, it's such a great series. At the time you really had to "git gud", especially since where I lived we didn't use quarters, but 66 cent "tokens", so all these imported arcade cabinets were really really tough.

If I'm not mistaken, the original Metal Slugs up to 3(peak of the series really) were hand drawn, and that's why all their sprites are so lovingly detailed and animated?.
And after that, SNK went bankrupt and became SNK Playmore? And I think that's when the art and design teams shifted a whole bunch up until Metal Slug 6, which gave the series a bit of a second wind. Someone correct me if I hosed up there.
Never seen 7 or XX yet though, really excited for that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HGH posted:

Metal Slug was my childhood, it's such a great series. At the time you really had to "git gud", especially since where I lived we didn't use quarters, but 66 cent "tokens", so all these imported arcade cabinets were really really tough.

If I'm not mistaken, the original Metal Slugs up to 3(peak of the series really) were hand drawn, and that's why all their sprites are so lovingly detailed and animated?.
And after that, SNK went bankrupt and became SNK Playmore? And I think that's when the art and design teams shifted a whole bunch up until Metal Slug 6, which gave the series a bit of a second wind. Someone correct me if I hosed up there.
Never seen 7 or XX yet though, really excited for that.
Yeah... after MS1(?), NAZCA was absorbed into SNK, and seemingly disbanded after SNK's bankruptcy... it's hard to tell, as most of the NAZCA staff remain anonymous to this day, and the few that have unmasked refuse to name anyone else out of common courtesy...

MS4 was done by a Korean company called Mega Enterprise with the assistance of Noise Factory. Playmore took over for MS5 and has handled development ever since.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"Sand-blasted grease monkeys" holy poo poo, Wakka.

The FFX LP is amazing. :allears:

Pretty sure that phrase can also be used as a slur in the real world

EDIT,

Honestly, I really liked Tidus and Yuna's characterization so far, I never actually played FFX before, just heard about it. So, I always heard how Tidus is this super annoying character but I honestly liked him and root for him.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 18, 2016

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It's such a shame because Nazca was pound for pound one of the most talented teams in videogames, I really hope the artists are doing well.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I loving lost it at Seymour Trump.

Man, with the way racist Wakka is going, I can't wait for Woolie's reaction to Home.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Goes without saying, but nobody should trust Liam on the Metal Slug defense game, it is terrible
The nicest thing that can be said about Metal Slug Defense is that some of the new sprites for the special units are quite nice.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I honestly love this group of losers that makes up our protagonists in FFX. Half the group is literally getting bullied schoolyard style. The other half are failures for life (and Sir Auron, but I'm sure by the end of this we'll find out that Sin was his fault or something).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

Pretty sure that phrase can also be used as a slur in the real world

EDIT,

Honestly, I really liked Tidus and Yuna's characterization so far, I never actually played FFX before, just heard about it. So, I always heard how Tidus is this super annoying character but I honestly liked him and root for him.

That's what I thought, had to pause the video when I saw that in the subtitles because woowwww, canon Wakka is not that far from Matt and Woolie's interpretation.

And yeah, the cast is pretty interesting, they're very much a band of losers all going on this impossible task they don't really seem to believe they can achieve (besides Yuna maybe because she must and Titus because he doesn't know better) all lying and keeping secrets from each other. The game shits a lot on Titus, and it's hilarious he's a hilarious weirdo, but the rest of the cast also gets it from time to time. I cannot wait for Wakka to find out Rikki is an Al-Bhed.

Though the cast is getting a bit crowded now with Auron, Rikki, The Wu-Tang Clan, West Coast Avengers and AKB48

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Metal Slug is my favorite quarter swallowing game. Only one I recall hating was the one that made Tarma unplayable because gently caress you if you don't let me select Tarma.

Also I called Liam switching to Fio right away because it's too obvious, didn't expect the Eri dumping though. Also hoping that if they wind up using Leona they can at least try to pull off some of the cool poo poo she can do seeing as she's the pay-to-win character.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I hate to say it but Metal Slug defense is actually pretty decent, it's a mindless game and its still has the trappings and bullshit of F2P but it's actually beatable within reasonable time without needing to spend cash on any DLC. the problem is the hostage rescue system, which is based on a percentage chance that forces you to replay levels on the off chance you rescue prisoners.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 18, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What even is this defense game. I'm looking at a video and it's just a bunch of old sprites that overlay onto itself a million times over while blowing out my ears.

And sometimes Iori shows up and gets shot in the head

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Grouchio posted:

Mr. Bill from really old SNL.

Unrelated, but probably pretty relevant to SBF and game news in general.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysWXsuGPHQ

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man that The Cooler Generation conversation is so peak Woolie's Anime Thoughts.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like Eri tho. :smith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh man, I hope it's not too late to get on the docket, the new Medabots game is finally getting into the edgy brutal nature the franchise truly deserved and reached what's basically an M-Rating :v:
http://gematsu.com/2016/01/medabots-girls-mission-rated-cero-c-japan

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hmm, a game full of lolis has an M Rating.

I wonder why.

I guess it will be forever a mystery.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cool medabots is h now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I got bored and started watching the lets watch of the 2014 E3 Nintendo presentation and Matt mentions how he'd think better of Reggie if he had created stuffed crust. It's not quite the case, but Reggie did directly launch Bigfoot and Big New Yorker, this is his legacy, bad new york accents.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh man, I hope it's not too late to get on the docket, the new Medabots game is finally getting into the edgy brutal nature the franchise truly deserved and reached what's basically an M-Rating :v:
http://gematsu.com/2016/01/medabots-girls-mission-rated-cero-c-japan

Not really. Cero C is 15 and up, while D is 17+ and Z is 18+. Fire Emblem Fates is Cero C as well.

Although not to be mean to Cero, Senran Kagura is a T rating.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

Man that The Cooler Generation conversation is so peak Woolie's Anime Thoughts.

I kept rolling my eyes throughout that whole loving thing.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

I kept rolling my eyes throughout that whole loving thing.

So many god drat people believe it too! It's a lie, the cooler side character is always a lie! If the series was about them, they'd be ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Zeons did nothing wrong (except kill 3/4ths of earth)