Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
We've all heard of picklebacks, why not 'Dinebacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel
WARNING! WARNING!

Do not purchase La Sirena Dines!

New to the game I've been trying to pick up different brands all over the place, but haven't found much variety. All I've seen is Beach Cliff, Trader Joe's selection and some Mexican brands, one of which was really good. The other day I picked up some La Sirenas in red sauce.

Opening the can, it smelled like a ripe butthole lathered in tomato. The sauce was more water based than I thought it would be and the dines practically deteriorated when touched with a fork. I didn't even cook with them, they looked like death.

In other news, I can verify that the Trader Joe's dines in harissa are bomb, but I must admit I prefer the anchovy fillets.

Just corn chips spread with cream cheese and topped with some chovy... Mm, it was good.

Edit: if anyone knows of some quality seafood establishments in the Bay Area, where a wider selection of brands is available, I would appreciate a heads up.

czarmonger fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 17, 2016

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Frozen Horse posted:

Did the 375 deg. F fisherman's eggs for brunch. They came out fine. Once I get another tin of the same sardines, I will compare the 500 degree wizardry. Also, I used chives along with the other onions.
Does this thread have any love for fishes that come in salt-encrusted wooden boxes or is it only for tinned fishes?

Did it the 500 degree way using the same sards (Bela). No real difference except that the eggs had a bit of a skin to them on top. That may have been due to how dry it is at the moment. Best part was doing the making and eating in an undershirt / slippers combo for maximum dadliness.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Hi 'dine thread. I made an open-face dinacado sandwich, it was really good.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

cocoavalley posted:

I want to put that in my mouth and I just ate.

Voting 5

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
That 'dinewich looks so legit

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

cocoavalley posted:

Well done, that's a really good looking sandwich.

For breakfast today I had some dines on an English muffin on top of avocado, with a little hollandaise over everything. Delicious. The lemon and egg flavor of the hollandaise was just perfect.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I was looking at the King Oscar haiku responses and it looks like there's "grand prize" (5 winners), "1st prize", and free coupons. Guess we'll find out soon what the difference is between grand prize and 1st.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
just had myself a can of tiny tots on cracked pepper triscuits while i making salmon jerky/candy from this recipe here
http://honest-food.net/2013/07/15/salmon-candy-recipe/

i was hungry for fishy goodness when i smelt the salmon's delicious wafting on the smoker and just couldnt resist the king's calling

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
not sardines but if you wanna be a pro dad, get a smoker. smoking your own meat is definitely near the top when it comes to dadliness

you get to drink beer and slowly watch something turn into the best food you'll ever eat

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

czarmonger posted:

Edit: if anyone knows of some quality seafood establishments in the Bay Area, where a wider selection of brands is available, I would appreciate a heads up.

North Bay has G&G in Petaluma, they sell Riga Sprats, buy them by the case.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Hooray, won first place in the KO Haiku contest as well. Mine was:

King Oscar Sardines
Healthiest little fishes
Eat the bones you guys

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

not sardines but if you wanna be a pro dad, get a smoker. smoking your own meat is definitely near the top when it comes to dadliness

you get to drink beer and slowly watch something turn into the best food you'll ever eat

If you don't have a smoker but have a barbecue google "snake method" and you can do it without buying another thing

Although if you smoke a lot of stuff it's good to buy the smoker.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I get rid of leftover sardine oil by leaving it in the can and throwing the can away.

If you absolutely must put it down some sort of drain, I'm sure the toilet would work. If a gallon of used motor oil can make it down the toilet, a few drops of olive oil can too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can pour your dine oil in the sink it will be fine.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If a gallon of used motor oil can make it down the toilet

Dad fail, recycling oil is at least half of a Dadurday, probably the highlight of the weekend. Mods, please ban and feed water packed tuna.

social media guru
Jan 18, 2016

by Cowcaster
#sardines are a leading export from the greatest streat in the nation #bigskystate

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've eaten fish like, once 15 years ago.

I'm scared of trying new things. Do you just eat the head of the fish and the guts and bones because they're so small or what? Should I try sardines?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Methanar posted:

I'm scared of trying new things. Do you just eat the head of the fish and the guts and bones because they're so small or what? Should I try sardines?

Yes yes and yes, it's tasty and good for you. If you eat any fish, eat a 'dine, but don't cheap out and buy the Bumblebees or whatever, start yourself off right with the King.

Oh, also I just had a nice bowl of brown rice with some jalapeno KO dines over it, oil and all, as well as some Sriracha for a little extra kick. It was quite :coolfish: and spicy.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Methanar posted:

Anything that's in the can you can eat. The heads are always taken off for American brand sardines. The guts sometimes are taken out but if they aren't don't worry about it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
LOL, goons refusing to eat food.

Now I've seen everything.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Dine trip report: Had some Haddon House hot spiced dines on whole grain toast. Very dry fish, with very little spare oil, but that was pretty good for a sammich. I just dumped the whole can on a slice and smashed it around with a fork. Incredibly firm fish and there were even a couple peppers in the bottom. The bread soaked up the extra oil and it had a decent amount of heat. 8/10 will dine again.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Been testing out some cheap mustard sauce 'dines and will confirm that beach house is rubbish compared to brunswick, which was just OK for a cheaper brand of 'dine.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you don't have a smoker but have a barbecue google "snake method" and you can do it without buying another thing

Although if you smoke a lot of stuff it's good to buy the smoker.

plus you can nerd out with it and http://imgur.com/a/JxwpO

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Methanar posted:

If you haven't eaten fish for a while you should start yourself off with a nice fresh haddock or maybe cod before you jump in the deep end u fuckin psycho

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Crewmine posted:

If you haven't eaten fish for a while you should start yourself off with a nice fresh haddock or maybe cod before you jump in the deep end u fuckin psycho

Eh if you start with something like tiny tots the only potential barrier is visual because those are mild as gently caress. If you get boneless skinless stuff you'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from tuna aside from it being a bit more moist.

Cheaper brands are a fishier and more of an acquired taste though.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I got a 1st, not grand, prize. My options were a KO apron, gloves, a Royal Taster kit, or a KO deck of cards. Chose the RT kit because, duh, more dines!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

KO apron is a strong option tho

tonights dinner: one hot pocket, one can of oscars in olive oil with wheat thins as mouth delivery service

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just made a reuben with some homemade sauerkraut. Very tasty. This has nothing to do with sardines, but I think the reuben is a very dadly sandwich.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
quote this post if you need to reiterate that dine bones just become part of the texture of the dine rather than something you have to worry about choking or poking you

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i want one of you dads to save up your dine oil and use it to make fishy popcorn and report back to me

naem
May 29, 2011

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
After days of reading this thread I finally sacked up and got a can of Trader Joes dines in harissa sauce. Got a bag of their parmesan crisps to put them on. Not the best flavor combination but it was tasty and I ate the whole tin. Thanks, dad goons.

huskarl_marx posted:

quote this post if you need to reiterate that dine bones just become part of the texture of the dine rather than something you have to worry about choking or poking you

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I decided on the apron. I was considering the taster kit but it comes with a free coupon so I still get some tiny fishes out of it.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

deadwing posted:

KO apron is a strong option tho

tonights dinner: one hot pocket, one can of oscars in olive oil with wheat thins as mouth delivery service

I went with the apron. Although my next apron if I can find one is probably gonna be

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

For my haiku genius, I get an apron.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

The grand prize is a sardine fork, vintage sardines, AND a free tin coupon. They also told me the reason I didn't get my prize from the previous contest was due to a mailing error. If anyone else won in the Hanukkah contest and didn't receive anything, they're going to resend them.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

huskarl_marx posted:

They're soft enough to ignore completely, just eat them bones.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

PinkoBastard posted:

They're soft enough to ignore completely, just eat them bones.

Seeiously. Eat dem bones, dey tasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Methanar posted:

Reasons you, Methanar, should eat the dines:
- Omega 3s will make the hair on your head and on your face smooth and shiny (impress everyone in the PYF post your picture thread)
- Nutrients in small fish support brain functioning which will make you even better at League of Legends
- They're delicious