Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

The decisive vape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

This is very good. So is hi liter's photo.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pair by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

its no big deal posted:

This is cool and good, but my brain wants that line on the left side to be vertical.

Your brain is clearly defective.

DSC_4320 by Maciej, on Flickr

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

Putrid Grin posted:

Your brain is clearly defective.

DSC_4320 by Maciej, on Flickr

Thanks for reminding me.

For content, the tone on this is really cool. Good feel and doesn't have the classic "I took a picture of a street" look that happens a lot.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Direction by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like that a lot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Yeah this owns

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

street thread takes an unusual turn for the better.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pukestain Pal posted:

street thread takes an unusual turn for the better.

I hate to agree with you, but, yes.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
The view from my apartment is pretty epic around lunch.

A park around Nishi-Shinjuku:

edit: vvv oh no, photos of and taken from the street are not street photography.

windex fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 18, 2016

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

windex posted:

The view from my apartment is pretty epic around lunch.

A park around Nishi-Shinjuku:

Not street.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

windex posted:

edit: vvv oh no, photos of and taken from the street are not street photography.

I'd describe these as urban landscapes personally.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

elgarbo posted:

I'd describe these as urban landscapes personally.

The distinction between 'urban' and 'street' is mostly bullshit. It hinges on the definition of life (e.g. what is and is not alive in a city, which is stupid, as the whole thing is a constantly changing organism of its own right) and most people who insist on a semantics debate define that as people as subjects.

When you live in a sea of 35 million people and you decide to go out and randomly photograph things, people aren't even close to being at the top of the list of interesting subjects.

I just had a couple of photos I thought turned out neat. I'll forget this thread exists next time I think that?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

windex posted:

The distinction between 'urban' and 'street' is mostly bullshit. It hinges on the definition of life (e.g. what is and is not alive in a city, which is stupid, as the whole thing is a constantly changing organism of its own right) and most people who insist on a semantics debate define that as people as subjects.

When you live in a sea of 35 million people and you decide to go out and randomly photograph things, people aren't even close to being at the top of the list of interesting subjects.

I just had a couple of photos I thought turned out neat. I'll forget this thread exists next time I think that?

that's a whole lotta words from someone who couldn't take the time to straighten their verticals

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

windex posted:

No it's not mostly bullshit, street is called street different mostly from the approach of things. Not the result. It doesn't even require you to be in a urban environment. Just because you were afraid to "go close" and desaturated your pictures doesn't make them "street photography".
Also your tones look hosed up to me, the mid-tones look pretty flat and solarized.

And it doesn't matter where you live, that doesn't play any role at all. Why should it? That said -- if you do in fact live here then there's plenty of street-galleries and exhibitions here, changing every other week, so why don't you go to those galleries and educate yourself? Daido has a nice color show up at AM Gallery. It would be one way to educate yourself instead of having armchair discussions here ... but, I digress.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

man, nothing in japan is straight up and down, is it

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

man, nothing in japan is straight up and down, is it

That's for the landscape thread, we be laissez faire in here.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
as the arbiter of all that is street, i will now judge your street photography.

Is street.

Is street.

Is street.

Is street.

Is street.

Is not street

Is not street

Is street

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm so fuckin street son.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

VomitOnLino posted:

No it's not mostly bullshit, street is called street different mostly from the approach of things. Not the result. It doesn't even require you to be in a urban environment. Just because you were afraid to "go close" and desaturated your pictures doesn't make them "street photography".
Also your tones look hosed up to me, the mid-tones look pretty flat and solarized.

And it doesn't matter where you live, that doesn't play any role at all. Why should it? That said -- if you do in fact live here then there's plenty of street-galleries and exhibitions here, changing every other week, so why don't you go to those galleries and educate yourself? Daido has a nice color show up at AM Gallery. It would be one way to educate yourself instead of having armchair discussions here ... but, I digress.

Nothing in this post has value, even as critique. It's a wall of assumptions about skill level, process, and confidence.

Neither of those photos have any post-process work done to them, except checking the black and white box in lightroom.

Hell, the photos in your post are likely worthless because you probably don't have a signed release.

Which is why location matters, and why I don't shoot people in Japan, except for the tens of thousands of shots of people at events I have where the venue has a de-facto release through ticket sales and I am working for them or the production company leasing the space.

But those are not street photography. Street photography is about the approach, and you're right - it's leaving the huge gear bag at home, grabbing your loving camera, and wasting a day taking photos of anything that seems interesting.

But hey you know, what do I know.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

windex posted:

Nothing in this post has value, even as critique. It's a wall of assumptions about skill level, process, and confidence.

Neither of those photos have any post-process work done to them, except checking the black and white box in lightroom.

Hell, the photos in your post are likely worthless because you probably don't have a signed release.

Which is why location matters, and why I don't shoot people in Japan, except for the tens of thousands of shots of people at events I have where the venue has a de-facto release through ticket sales and I am working for them or the production company leasing the space.

But those are not street photography. Street photography is about the approach, and you're right - it's leaving the huge gear bag at home, grabbing your loving camera, and wasting a day taking photos of anything that seems interesting.

Allow me to quote a letter by Alonzo from The Camera, December 1904 issue:

basically what I am saying is that your posts are unfit for publication

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
These posts are overly aggressive responses to being told one's photo doesn't fit the aesthetic of the thread. Surely, windex, you realize that indignant walls of text, hyperbole, and a disregard for the opinions of others are not good ways to make a well received point?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Dren posted:

These posts are overly aggressive responses to being told one's photo doesn't fit the aesthetic of the thread. Surely, windex, you realize that indignant walls of text, hyperbole, and a disregard for the opinions of others are not good ways to make a well received point?

I do enjoy writing them. Also, a quick look of the photography of literally every artist mentioned in the OP reveals a detailed history of "urban landscape" photography.

But, no, one thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

So, I'll be posting in this thread pretty much every time I go out to shoot, now.

edit: Finally.

windex fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 18, 2016

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

windex posted:

So, I'll be posting in this thread pretty much every time I go out to shoot, now.

It's ok, this thread is known for just being a bunch of poo poo anyways.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

8th-snype posted:

I'm so fuckin street son.

New thread title please

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

windex posted:

I do enjoy writing them. Also, a quick look of the photography of literally every artist mentioned in the OP reveals a detailed history of "urban landscape" photography.

But, no, one thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Lol, what an idiot

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm glad that after one good photo the thread was able to normalize with a torrent of poo poo.

windex posted:

You know that it's possible for an artists to work in more than one genre at a time, crazy but true.

Also lol at living in a country with 127 million people with a culture of social responsibility and then believing that you are the special snowflake that gets to ~~go your own way~~

but hey at least you can't make this thread any worse!

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Geektox posted:

Also lol at living in a country with 127 million people with a culture of social responsibility and then believing that you are the special snowflake that gets to ~~go your own way~~!

Japan is a country of psychopathic sycophants with no regard for what anyone else thinks.

The peace and harmony poo poo is all bullshit. As long as you say your inane babble at other people wIth the slightest hint of politeness and nobody questions anyone else about intent, everybody is happy.

It has never not been this way. You can go read the tale of genji in that light and have your loving mind blown.

This is why if you show that statement to any common gaijin who has lived here at least a few years, it's loving hilarious.

Sorry to ruin your dreams.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

windex posted:

Japan is a country of psychopathic sycophants with no regard for what anyone else thinks.

The peace and harmony poo poo is all bullshit. As long as you say your inane babble at other people wIth the slightest hint of politeness and nobody questions anyone else about intent, everybody is happy.

It has never not been this way. You can go read the tale of genji in that light and have your loving mind blown.

This is why if you show that statement to any common gaijin who has lived here at least a few years, it's loving hilarious.

You are a bad poster with bad opinions who takes bad photographs.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

windex posted:

maybe everyone is just tired of your poo poo

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

windex posted:

Very little.

"

MrBlandAverage posted:

You are a bad poster with bad opinions who takes bad photographs.
"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

windex posted:

Hahahah holy poo poo you are a phenomenally bad poster.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

windex posted:

Uhhh....I don't think that this is right.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

hi liter posted:

Uhhh....I don't think that this is right.

Portrait rights are a thing in Japan, and can be pushed against a local resident selling photos internationally, as was recently discovered. There are no limits on portrait rights for fair use or otherwise in law or court history in regards to any identifiable person who could be deemed the subject of the photo.

One woman shot from behind sued a fashion blog for commenting on her appearance unfavorably on the grounds her clothing style made her identifiable, she won.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

windex posted:

Portrait rights are a thing in Japan, and can be pushed against a local resident selling photos internationally, as was recently discovered. There are no limits on portrait rights for fair use or otherwise in law or court history in regards to any identifiable person who could be deemed the subject of the photo.

One woman shot from behind sued a fashion blog for commenting on her appearance unfavorably on the grounds her clothing style made her identifiable, she won.

and if you can't sell something for money it's literally worthless

welp, time to sell all my camera gear so that I can afford an eos-m and a stack of release forms I guess

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
That's why stock photo jobs are the most prestigious in photography

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

and if you can't sell something for money it's literally worthless

welp, time to sell all my camera gear so that I can afford an eos-m and a stack of release forms I guess

Selling is not prohibited technically.

You can't publish them.

To this website.

To a photo gallery.

To Facebook, technically, though people tend to relax a bit there, I once had to delete a few dozen FB photos that had a girl with a jealous boyfriend in them, who one day reported them all as harassment, because he coerced her into dumping all her friends and only spending time as his slave or some poo poo that lasted two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

windex posted:

I once had to delete a few dozen FB photos that had a girl with a jealous boyfriend in them, who one day reported them all as harassment, because he coerced her into dumping all her friends and only spending time as his slave or some poo poo that lasted two months.

Yeah that's exactly what I'd tell my creepy unhinged stalker who had dozens of pictures of me on his facebook after he started talking crazy about everyone being a psychopath.