Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
NODE

not even once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol if you don't regularly program in several different languages per day because you inherited a gigantic lovely program and you are the only one capable of actually keeping it together.

:smith:

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwTm1P37l4

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

ratbert90 posted:

Lol if you don't regularly program in several different languages per day because you inherited a gigantic lovely program and you are the only one capable of actually keeping it together.

same but it's templated bash scripts all the way down

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ratbert90 posted:

Now the story of a wealthy company who lost a key member and the one software engineer who had no choice but to keep the project together. It's Arrested Software Development.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ErIog posted:

Now the story of a wealthy company who lost a key member and the one software engineer who had no choice but to keep the project together. It's Arrested Software Development.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ErIog posted:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ErIog posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ErIog posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ErIog posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ErIog posted:

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down so I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, to tell you how I became the dev of some poo poo-tier software

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

ErIog posted:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ErIog posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ErIog posted:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ErIog posted:

plink plinka plinka plink thread title

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You want to know how lovely the project is?

We roll our own Distro: CentOS 5.5, with iptables and SELinux turned off, and a default 5 alphanumeric all lowercase password for root.
Our application(s) all run as root and assume root privileges.

I just got approval to move us to CentOS6.7 with SELinux and IPtables turned on, and to fix the other gigantic gaping wounds of security that is our shitastic software.
Also to NOT loving ROLL OUR OWN GODDAMN OS FOR A APPLICATION. Holy poo poo whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be shot (hint: He moved to Japan to do programming because he likes Anime and "Japanese culture.")

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 18, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

We roll our own Distro: CentOS 5.5, with iptables and SELinux turned off, and a default 5 alphanumeric all lowercase password for root.

I just got approval to move us to CentOS6.7 with SELinux and iptables turned on, and to fix the other gigantic gaping wounds of security that is our shitastic software.

ah, you work for a bank

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bloody posted:

ah, you work for a bank

Nah, telecommunications VOIP company. But good guess!

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
well selinux probably prevented the application running as root from performing certain functions, of course it has to be removed. and ports below 1024 can only be accessed by root, so of course you need to recompile your kernel to allow user accounts to bind to port 80. oh wait you're already running the application as root. man its so loving dumb i can't even think of a terrible reason to do that kind of thing. sheesh

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the real reason was probably "BECAUSE I CAAAN HUEHUHEUH!!!" -or- "Job Security :smuggo:"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Barnyard Protein posted:

the real reason was probably "BECAUSE I CAAAN HUEHUHEUH!!!" -or- "Job Security :smuggo:"

Probably more like: SELinux gave an error? gently caress that *turns off*.

User permissions? gently caress that *run as root*.

Create an installer? gently caress that *modifies rpm's, builds own distro.*

Don't worry, it's all programmed in: C, C++, PHP, Python, HTML, CSS, and Pearl. I got this. :smug:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 18, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

and ports below 1024 can only be accessed by root, so of course you need to recompile your kernel to allow user accounts to bind to port 80.

this is systemd's best feature: privilege separation becomes completely automatic.

systemd will open the socket for you, and when your application starts, it inherits a pre-existing FD for a socket it's not privileged to open itself. no fork/exec, no dropping privileges, no root anything.

i have a lot of complaints about systemd but the actual daemon management stuff is great.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
does iOS (obj-c) handle byte buffers well?

im working with an iOS app and need to communicate several arbitrary-length fields. I'm not controlling the iOS side itself, just speccing it out for a contractor. the current comms relies on strstr and I hate it

i like specs like "these two bytes contain the length of the next text field" so the buffer gets chewed up chunk by chunk deterministically and there's no "idk look through all of memory for a 0x20 and break on that lol" garbage, but some languages make it more difficult to pull chars into integers if there's ascii kicking around

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just base64 everything

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Bloody posted:

just base64 everything

Base64 is not as gross as JSONP, but it is gross in the same way.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
i am trying to use an api that uses oauth for authentication. as in, i have a key and a secret and i want to call the api.

every piece of documentation/library i can find seems to assume i want to use oauth to let users use their google accounts or whatever, which i dont. all i want to do is use this stupid api

is there a c# library i can use where i do something like:
code:
OAuthClient(myKey, mySecret).sign(myRequest);
and get a string i can poop into my http headers to make it work?

i think it is using oauth 1.0

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

just base64 everything

that doesn't help at all

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it probably depends on how you're doing the communication, but you can write straight-up c in obj-c and do whatever byte manipulation fuckery you want.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I'm writing a Haskell library which deals with a file format that is often used in astronomy. This file format has an overarching structure, which has multiple sections, which each have a header and some data. That data in turn can be of three types, which I was currently planning on having people pattern match against. For two of these types, the data is a table of rows and columns. The most common things people will want to do with this file format is to manipulate the data part of a some single section, for example by adding or modifying rows in one of the table types. Should I provide a lens iterface to this? It seems as though a lot of people do not like lenses (for good reasons), but this also seems like it's pretty much exactly what lenses are for. Alternatively, what sort of interface should I provide so that manipulating these files is not a pain in the butt?

edit: One idea I was thinking was to make a second package which defines a lens interface, and leave it off the main package. I'd still need to come up with some convenient interface though for the main package.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
e: nm

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

does iOS (obj-c) handle byte buffers well?

im working with an iOS app and need to communicate several arbitrary-length fields. I'm not controlling the iOS side itself, just speccing it out for a contractor. the current comms relies on strstr and I hate it

i like specs like "these two bytes contain the length of the next text field" so the buffer gets chewed up chunk by chunk deterministically and there's no "idk look through all of memory for a 0x20 and break on that lol" garbage, but some languages make it more difficult to pull chars into integers if there's ascii kicking around

it's not entirely clear what you mean; it's not like TCP ever guarantees that there's a 1:1 match between server send calls and client receive calls (or vice versa), you always have to do some buffering on both sides

there should be no problem with this though as long as the developer is competent with sockets level programming, which means just always appending to the receive buffer until an atomically-processable chunk is available

this is honestly p trivial with NSFileHandle in Foundation, given it works in terms of NSData objects

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VikingofRock posted:

So I'm writing a Haskell library which deals with a file format that is often used in astronomy. This file format has an overarching structure, which has multiple sections, which each have a header and some data. That data in turn can be of three types, which I was currently planning on having people pattern match against. For two of these types, the data is a table of rows and columns. The most common things people will want to do with this file format is to manipulate the data part of a some single section, for example by adding or modifying rows in one of the table types. Should I provide a lens iterface to this? It seems as though a lot of people do not like lenses (for good reasons), but this also seems like it's pretty much exactly what lenses are for. Alternatively, what sort of interface should I provide so that manipulating these files is not a pain in the butt?

edit: One idea I was thinking was to make a second package which defines a lens interface, and leave it off the main package. I'd still need to come up with some convenient interface though for the main package.

for large astrological bodies, use a moonad, for smaller ones, use a moonoid

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
this is the contractor that built a protocol on strstr, dynamically allocated a uint8_t buffer based on a function parameter, i have zero faith in anything anymore. nothing's buffered in a way either of us can control, the relevant stacks are providing entire strings

dunno where y'all get off stuffing filesystems and TCP into a simple UART protocol

i want all strings in my embedded world to be pascal strings. prepended with length, easy to deterministically parse. I'm asking if those are easy to construct, deconstruct, manipulate for the worst obj-c programmer you've encountered or if the language fights you every step of the way like Python

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

for large astrological bodies, use a moonad, for smaller ones, use a moonoid

:ughh:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ratbert90 posted:

I just got approval to move us to CentOS6.7 with SELinux and IPtables turned on, and to fix the other gigantic gaping wounds of security that is our shitastic software.
Also to NOT loving ROLL OUR OWN GODDAMN OS FOR A APPLICATION. Holy poo poo whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be shot (hint: He moved to Japan to do programming because he likes Anime and "Japanese culture.")

He'll fit right in there. Japanese infosec is on another terrible level. They will probably think his anime obsession is weird, though.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

i want all strings in my embedded world to be pascal strings. prepended with length, easy to deterministically parse. I'm asking if those are easy to construct, deconstruct, manipulate for the worst obj-c programmer you've encountered or if the language fights you every step of the way like Python

Cocoa and Objective-C are fine with that kind of string, you can easily create an NSString instance with a buffer in some arbitrary encoding and a length, doesn't have to be NUL terminated or anything

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ErIog posted:

He'll fit right in there. Japanese infosec is on another terrible level. They will probably think his anime obsession is weird, though.

Sweet Jesus, remind me to never look at Japanese source code.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

ErIog posted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ratbert90 posted:

Sweet Jesus, remind me to never look at Japanese source code.

been there, done that, would not recommend.

iirc it was a vb gui onto a sybase database and they didnt understand indexes so performance sucked. also they didn't understand xml so the messages going into the system stored data as separated values in a series of notes fields because they wouldnt just add new bodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

eschaton posted:

Cocoa and Objective-C are fine with that kind of string, you can easily create an NSString instance with a buffer in some arbitrary encoding and a length, doesn't have to be NUL terminated or anything
thanks, gonna spec out a UART protocol AS GOD INTENDED with pascal strings

• Locked thread