Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I bought a Ninja blender tonight, started unpacking it and notice a note about how the blades are very sharp and loosely packed. Whatever I'm an adult, I'm sure I can take a thing out of a box.

:gibs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, if we're telling personal anecdotes for schadenfreude, I spent an hour trapped in a bedroom last night by a faulty door handle that was being installed. Make sure the latch actually retracts when you turn the handle before closing the door, kids! :downs: Fortunately for me but unfortunately for freude, we forced it open two bent files and a scratched doorframe later rather than having to break it down.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh, if we're telling personal anecdotes for schadenfreude, I spent an hour trapped in a bedroom last night by a faulty door handle that was being installed. Make sure the latch actually retracts when you turn the handle before closing the door, kids! :downs: Fortunately for me but unfortunately for freude, we forced it open two bent files and a scratched doorframe later rather than having to break it down.

My dad installed a door handle wrong and trapped my niece and her friend in a small bathroom.

I was visiting for christmas and upstairs of them. They made a terrible racket but I ignored them because they do that all the time.

For hours. I felt so bad when I found out. I'd just been stomping on the floor and shouting back at them.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mizuti posted:

The dog is having a grand time, but I can't say the same for his master. The judge checking his stopwatch kills me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iTTNRE-njM

I was literally crying over this... thank you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Treadmill fuckups super compilation. Has anyone ever tried to ride a bike or a skateboard on a treadmill and not ended up eating poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx_aVbBbgIA

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

People who own those things deserve everything they get.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Automatic Slim posted:

We have one at the office and they are actually pretty fun. That said, half the reason anyone gets on one is to see how long you can make it with out biting it spectacularly.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Automatic Slim posted:

I had a guy in my phone repair store the other day who fell off one of those and somehow broke the camera on his iPhone 6. Broke it real good too - the camera, front camera, and flash all died, and they're three separate parts. I couldn't get it working again despite replacing all three.

So, "irreparably damaging your phone" is something else those can cause.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
How to free a rat stuck in a sticky trap.
With obvious result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMR6ndKgwU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Pastafarian must now drive with a colander on his head, or he'll lose his license.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BovineFury posted:

With obvious result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMR6ndKgwU

that seems cruel as hell :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TVs Ian posted:

I had a guy in my phone repair store the other day who fell off one of those and somehow broke the camera on his iPhone 6. Broke it real good too - the camera, front camera, and flash all died, and they're three separate parts. I couldn't get it working again despite replacing all three.

So, "irreparably damaging your phone" is something else those can cause.

Is the iPhone 6 camera the same style as the 6s? I have that one and they redesigned the phone so now the lens is sticking out from the phone body itself when it used to be totally flush and smooth. I can see it getting damaged really easily if you don't put a case on it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/P8dIrwT.webm

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I suspect that wouldn't hold up in court because they could argue that the police don't arrest jews or muslims who are photo'd wearing their headgear but then do not wear it all the time. On the other hand this is russia where a man can win the presidency with 120% of the vote and claim it wasn't rigged so yeah.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Is the iPhone 6 camera the same style as the 6s? I have that one and they redesigned the phone so now the lens is sticking out from the phone body itself when it used to be totally flush and smooth. I can see it getting damaged really easily if you don't put a case on it.

Abso-loving-purely

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drone_Fragger posted:

I suspect that wouldn't hold up in court because they could argue that the police don't arrest jews or muslims who are photo'd wearing their headgear but then do not wear it all the time. On the other hand this is russia where a man can win the presidency with 120% of the vote and claim it wasn't rigged so yeah.

Also a country where holding anything rainbow in public risks arrest for "homosexual propaganda".

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Also a country where holding anything rainbow in public risks arrest for "homosexual propaganda".

Which, oddly enough, is also grounds for having your license suspended.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Mans posted:

that seems cruel as hell :(

Never, ever look up how glue traps actually kill what they catch. You will hate yourself for knowing.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I'll take a standard spring trap over glue any day. I wouldn't wish that death on anything.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Smelly posted:

I'll take a standard spring trap over glue any day. I wouldn't wish that death on anything.

Yeah, what's the advantage of glue traps? A relative's house had such an absurd rat infestation at their garden that we would set up 5 spring traps, wait around five minutes, hear 5 snaps almost simultaneously, take off the rats and set them up again. This went on for around 2 hours. I can't even understand how much that would cost in single use glue traps.

There's some schadenfreude here as their son adopted a pair of cats and the parents made him put them up for adoption again a few months ago.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I believe the idea of the glue trap is the animal won't die right away and instead start screaming, which should in theory scare the other animals away.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Fart of Presto posted:

I believe the idea of the glue trap is the animal won't die right away and instead start screaming, which should in theory scare the other animals away.

That's terrifying.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Smelly posted:

That's terrifying.

And rather useless, tbh. If you've got enough that you need traps, their nests will end up being repopulated in short order anyway once the screaming stops.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Use spring traps, cut the heads off and mount them on tiny plaques as a warning to the others.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Or just get a big cat.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

AlphaKretin posted:

Most modern bathroom doors have special "lift-off" hinges where you can just grab the closed door, give it a lift and the whole thing should just pop right out of the frame.
They're so EMTs can haul your rear end out of there when you give yourself a brain haemorrhage squeezing out a hard dump.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Slugnoid posted:

Most modern bathroom doors have special "lift-off" hinges where you can just grab the closed door, give it a lift and the whole thing should just pop right out of the frame.
They're so EMTs can haul your rear end out of there when you give yourself a brain haemorrhage squeezing out a hard dump.

Bedroom, unless you just meant it as a general PSA, and while you had no way of knowing, the door was far from modern. We considered removing the whole door, but the hinges were sealed by decades-old paint.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/WrjjeUs.gifv

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

I was pretty impressed with how she managed to not snap her neck, but then I saw she kicked herself in the face and that's just god damned amazing.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

She took that remarkably well. Kudos to her.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was pretty impressed with how she managed to not snap her neck, but then I saw she kicked herself in the face and that's just god damned amazing.

I'm amazed she didn't mess up her left ankle. That could have gone very wrong very quickly. Of course, that's the bad thing about being that flexible.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

nerdz posted:

Yeah, what's the advantage of glue traps? A relative's house had such an absurd rat infestation at their garden that we would set up 5 spring traps, wait around five minutes, hear 5 snaps almost simultaneously, take off the rats and set them up again. This went on for around 2 hours. I can't even understand how much that would cost in single use glue traps.

Glue traps are useful if you have mice that are small and light enough to not set off spring traps, and one trap can capture multiple mice at once because another mouse already being stuck to it doesn't seem to warn off other mice at all. Almost as if mice are dumb as hell or something.

They can be cruel, but only if you leave the mice to die slowly or oil them up and watch as they struggle for freedom for some reason instead of just killing them after they're caught.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Glue traps are useful if you have mice that are small and light enough to not set off spring traps, and one trap can capture multiple mice at once because another mouse already being stuck to it doesn't seem to warn off other mice at all. Almost as if mice are dumb as hell or something.

They can be cruel, but only if you leave the mice to die slowly or oil them up and watch as they struggle for freedom for some reason instead of just killing them after they're caught.

yo put the peanut butter in the folded over bit of the spring trap and on the underside so they have to push on it. Also put the snap side facing a wall so they have to come in from the side.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BovineFury posted:

With obvious result.

Perfect illustration of why you *don't* free vermin caught in sticky traps.

nerdz posted:

Yeah, what's the advantage of glue traps?

You don't come downstairs in the morning to find copious amounts of rodent blood all over your kitchen counter because the snap trap cut off a limb instead of cleanly killing the animal, which will now probably die in your walls.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmaoooooooooooooo god drat

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Big dogs don't have proportionally sized brains for the most part unless they're working dogs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Testekill posted:

Big dogs don't have proportionally sized brains for the most part unless they're working dogs.

Big goofy dogs, like my Chocolate Lab are the smartest stupid dogs I know. They do something mind boggling like being able to open the door to a closet, grab their leash and be waiting at the door with it when you get home. Then not 2 hours later run head-first, full speed, into the only tree in a large backyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless