Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I always thought one of Kycilia's entourage was ripping nasty farts 24/7 but she had other things to do than go on a fart witch hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you're crazy if you dont think kycilia would not take care of that poo poo immediately

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's the little what if moments that make Gundam great

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Change thread title to "Gundam Thread 5: she had other things to do than go on a fart witch hunt"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Midjack posted:

I always thought one of Kycilia's entourage was ripping nasty farts 24/7 but she had other things to do than go on a fart witch hunt.

muike posted:

you're crazy if you dont think kycilia would not take care of that poo poo immediately

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Episode 2-4

Massively disproportionate return fire is used on biplanes, half the city burns down. Our Hero isn't very good at what he does, spends a lot of time naked and gets kneed in the balls. We find out what his mission was, no wonder they sent him and would not have cared if he died the first day on earth. Char arrives. Negotiations don't go well. Moon people don't seem to have a long term plan, very Gulf War 2 of them.

The design of the Gundam feels like a step backwards with an exposed cockpit instead of a 360 setup yet might have a bio-control system. It might also be a a running dick joke/symbolism.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Droyer posted:

The Crossbone Gundam manga is a sequel centered on a new conflict, although characters from F91 returned.

Also, the companion mangas (F90 and Silhouette F91) are both fantastic and both very worth reading. Def Stallion still beats out Bring Stabity as my favourite Gundam name.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man, the people behind *snip* F91 really dig *snip* Star Wars.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They really did, did Star Wars fandom ramp up the pace in the late eighties/early nineties in Japan?

But yeah, how light hearted and silly is G-Gundam? I need a break from the pathos, drama and suffering.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

SeanBeansShako posted:

But yeah, how light hearted and silly is G-Gundam? I need a break from the pathos, drama and suffering.

It has its serious stuff, but it's a silly campy over the top show without relenting on that even in the serious moments.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's pretty silly, though there are some genuinely effective emotional moments, mostly toward the end.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

As long as there is no images of mothers having their skulls split open by giant shell cases with their children in their arms, I'm a happy Gundam fan.

The Universal Century is depressingly exhausting sometimes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'll put it to you with an out-of-context example:

Plan A for getting out of a collapsing tunnel in a ruined city: Punt a (partially sunken) skyscraper into the loving air.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

how light hearted and silly is G-Gundam?

The pilot of the unicorn Gundam in this one never utters "EVEN SO". Not even once.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

They really did, did Star Wars fandom ramp up the pace in the late eighties/early nineties in Japan?

It's frequently pretty goofy in a way that takes itself seriously.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That said, I do feel that it's the weakest Imagawa mecha show out there so it's better to watch his other stuff first.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the kind of serious moments you'll find in g gundam are the kind where one character has a pathological fear of clowns because in his childhood he went to a circus performance and all the clowns suddenly pulled out assault rifles and revealed themselves as clown terrorists

Lanz
May 30, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Reasons why Turn A Gundam is the best Gundam:

- It has some pretty great characters, that get fleshed out over the series
- It has a pretty unique and interesting setting
- It has great animation and designs
- It has a slow, deliberate pace that makes it very much a slow journey rather than a "must-know what happens next" race
- It is probably the most coherent of all the Gundam series
- It has an amazing soundtrack by Yoko Kanno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlITPE_k90k

"Everyone, come back! The Earth is a nice place!"

The thing is, if you go in thinking it's a normal Gundam show, you'll hate it, because it very much not one. It foregoes a lot of the "standard" Gundam tropes.

I can't remember, does After All turn up in the series or was that a movie only track?

Cause goddamn is that song beautifully melancholic.

EDIT: the Vocal version of The Song of a Stone is also hauntingly beautiful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kzLFyS9HHE

Lanz fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 17, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lanz posted:

I can't remember, does After All turn up in the series or was that a movie only track?

Cause goddamn is that song beautifully melancholic.

It's the ending credits song of the first movie, and it's loving beautiful.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the ending credits song of the first movie, and it's loving beautiful.

Someone needs to get Donna Burke to do more Gundam tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkhF-JIOpUY

See how what's give, we abuse
See how the eternal, we can lose
See how what's always there in front of us
Never even makes us curious
To think that
All can disappear, without a trace, erased...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

muike posted:

I thought it was because of the smell, not because it was difficult for them to breathe

It is. Chronicle is a snooty upper class colony guy who thinks that the Earth is super stinky, so his mask is the equivalent to someone holding a handkerchief to their face because somebody ripped a nasty fart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To be fair, it is super stinky. Remember that episode where they fight on a shore that's been covered with Dead Sea creatures because the ocean's so toxic?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Zeta Episode 25:

Katz you loving idiot

EDIT: Also points to Emma for being the poo poo in this episode

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 18, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turn A 6-17

Needs more Laura Rola. Both Factions slowly lose control as neither side barely have any discipline with everybody doing their own deadend gambits escalating the war. Militia still not aware Moon have been holding back and think they are hot poo poo in their Zaku 2. Will Game dies like the idiot he is.

Seriously to hell with Katz.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm glad your still dead Katz.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Y'all are too hard on Katz. He was dumb but he was just a kid.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm glad your still dead Katz.

While I'm glad that it's going to happen I wish I hadn't read this. It's kind of on me, though.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 18, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

While I'm glad that it's going to happen I wish I hadn't read this. It's kind of on me, though.

Sorry, my bad thought it was that episode too.

Oh I didn't say how now.....he ate the last of the burgers, Bright airlocked him without a suit.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 18, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you really need some cheerful Gundam, there's also Build Fighters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sorry, my bad thought it was that episode too.

Oh I didn't say how now.....he ate the last of the burgers, Bright airlocked him without a suit.

Bright Noa is truly the last sane man in the Earth Federation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Katz is a good character

He's all about the perils of blind, uncritical hero worship

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Never Forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ogJDVcmBCM

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turn A Episode 18-25

Got more Laura Rola action, but now Char knows and is displeased about it. Moon now short on supplies and fold in former scouts from generations ago, they are not entirely sane. No one is in charge of the militia so there is no one to negotiate with. Spaceship.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I think the saddest but still funniest thing about that is that Katz has a second or two to scream impotently as he races towards the asteroid, but is still too overwhelmed or unskilled to use that time to save himself. He was just in over his head, poor kid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Bright Noa is truly the last sane man in the Earth Federation.

After that, he clutched the only remaining half eaten burger aboard the Argama on his bed and nervously went to sleep.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SeanBeansShako posted:

After that, he clutched the only remaining half eaten burger aboard the Argama on his bed and nervously went to sleep.

He had a nightmare that someone was stealing his burger, and when he woke up found that all that remained was the crumbs on his pillow. He'd eaten the whole thing in his sleep and never even got to taste a bit of it. The experience broke him, and that was how we got ZZ Bright.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love zz bright "i really really... Really REALLY want to cheat on my wife"

Bright and mirai's awful marriage and terrible children are the most realistic depiction of human life in gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

Bright and mirai's awful marriage and terrible children are the most realistic depiction of human life in gundam.

"I could go home to my wife and children....or command this sweet space battleship with burger vending machines for this spacenoid political freedom fighting group....."

Who am I kidding, there wasn't even a moment he thought he could choose anything but the steamed hams.