Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Yeah it's another step towards WALL-E in a freaky way. Human beings are going to be unrecognizably infantilized in like 2 more generations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

McNally posted:

Only motherfucker to escape from BOTH Death Stars

Excuse me, you are clearly forgetting Wedge Antillies.
:goonsay:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ManMythLegend posted:

Excuse me, you are clearly forgetting Wedge Antillies.
:goonsay:

And the Millennium Falcon, which is now more of a character than Han

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
By escape, I mean dude landed inside and had to get out on foot.

Wedge only went inside one Death Star, but I will grant him 100% on Death Star attacks.

Which is impressive, considering only like five people survived the first one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Imagine how much poo poo R2-D2 must talk the other droids. Motherfucker has seen it all.

Real talk though, I hope they bring back Billie Dee Williams as drunken Lando trying to reposess the Falcon from Rey over Han's still-outstanding gambling debts.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

R2: the crustiest little droid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFnGnSrcgj0

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.facebook.com/snl/videos/10153853992226303/

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Rey's insta-bread was not CG. :stare:
Was it edible though?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Was it edible though?

Depends on your tolerance for weird. She used her own yeast.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

:gonk:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i was always a fan of these stupid size comparison charts and how nerds argue over whose favorite fake thing would win in a fight

:allears:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My god emperor can beat up your god emperor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Was it edible though?

The effects guy said it was, but was really awful. I'm not sure if that part was a joke and it was some kind of expanding foam or if it was actually an awful fast-rise bread thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Editt

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 18, 2016

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

What the gently caress is that nonsense

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You're in the wrong thread if you get mad at ridiculous nerd poo poo.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

maffew buildings posted:

its a spaceship with star-destroyer-sized stained glass windows and a big rear end plow for ramming other ridiculously big ships.

:iia:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

maffew buildings posted:

Warhammer 40K is all about scale and badass gothic era architecture

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
glad to know my Avatar would fare well

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Okay, I'm going to nerd the gently caress out here. Way back when I was a kid, I read up on all the dorky expanded universe stuff, technical manuals, etc. And they all said that Y-Wing fighters were slow, outdated, and basically useless . They also always used the first Death Star fight as reference, because only one Y-Wing survived.

But there were only 8 Y-Wings in the fight. 2 X-Wings survived, out of 22. And one of those X-Wings only survived because of Han Solo's intervention. So, clearly, either the Y-Wing was a better fighter, or their pilots were way better, or both.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Imagine how much poo poo R2-D2 must talk the other droids. Motherfucker has seen it all.

Real talk though, I hope they bring back Billie Dee Williams as drunken Lando trying to reposess the Falcon from Rey over Han's still-outstanding gambling debts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Okay, I'm going to nerd the gently caress out here. Way back when I was a kid, I read up on all the dorky expanded universe stuff, technical manuals, etc. And they all said that Y-Wing fighters were slow, outdated, and basically useless . They also always used the first Death Star fight as reference, because only one Y-Wing survived.

But there were only 8 Y-Wings in the fight. 2 X-Wings survived, out of 22. And one of those X-Wings only survived because of Han Solo's intervention. So, clearly, either the Y-Wing was a better fighter, or their pilots were way better, or both.

Pseudo realtalk, it would depend on how they were employed. There's overlap in capabilities between F-16s and F-22s, but if you've got both you want to use them where their strengths were strongest. The rebels didn't have enough of anything to really dictate any terms, they were fighting however they could.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

that poo poo is dumb as hell. i just went to wookiepedia and looked up the death star. the page says it has 15000 turbolaser batteries, which are those big fuckoff huge laser cannons. it also has almost 800 tractor beams. theres like 350000 personnel. its the size of a loving moon. the page doesnt say how many tie fighters are on it but i would guess a few thousand would be reasonable

the rebels sent 30 loving fighters and a smuggler ship to blow it up and they succeeded. pretty sure they wouldve been instantly wiped out instead but hey whatever

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

that poo poo is dumb as hell. i just went to wookiepedia and looked up the death star. the page says it has 15000 turbolaser batteries, which are those big fuckoff huge laser cannons. it also has almost 800 tractor beams. theres like 350000 personnel. its the size of a loving moon. the page doesnt say how many tie fighters are on it but i would guess a few thousand would be reasonable

the rebels sent 30 loving fighters and a smuggler ship to blow it up and they succeeded. pretty sure they wouldve been instantly wiped out instead but hey whatever

If you remember, the rebel ships were too small for the turbolasers to target and hit. Imagine trying to use a battleship's main guns to try to bring down a small plane. When the rebels were being briefed on the death star plans, they said it was designed for a direct, large scale assault.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It would be pretty loving metal to see a Zero get nailed by a 16" round in midair.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Lazy Reservist posted:

If you remember, the rebel ships were too small for the turbolasers to target and hit. Imagine trying to use a battleship's main guns to try to bring down a small plane. When the rebels were being briefed on the death star plans, they said it was designed for a direct, large scale assault.

thousands of tie fighters. the entry on deathstar 2 confirms this. also there were thousands of smaller point defense systems that would be akin to 20-40mm aa cannons on a battleship so your point is kinda moot

its just sloppy writing, and in the case of the first star wars, probably budgetary limitations

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Y-Wings flew the trench because they were more proficient bombers than the X-Wings.

Fighters were deployed to take out the Y-Wings as stationary defenses couldn't shoot down fighters in the trench without absolutely wrecking each other.

X-Wings intercepted these fighters and also had to deal with anti-air(space?) towers outside of the trench.

I don't even know which of this I read in EU stuff 20ish years ago and which of it I just made up but it sounds good.

Lazy Reservist posted:

YEP.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

thousands of tie fighters. the entry on deathstar 2 confirms this. also there were thousands of smaller point defense systems that would be akin to 20-40mm aa cannons on a battleship so your point is kinda moot

its just sloppy writing, and in the case of the first star wars, probably budgetary limitations

But how many of those thousands were actually used? You wouldn't scramble a whole wing to counter less than a squadron. Blame it on overconfidence.

But yeah, it really boils down to Lucas's writing. Still makes for an awesome piece of cinema.

Victor Vermis posted:

Y-Wings flew the trench because they were more proficient bombers than the X-Wings.

Fighters were deployed to take out the Y-Wings as stationary defenses couldn't shoot down fighters in the trench without absolutely wrecking each other.

X-Wings intercepted these fighters and also had to deal with anti-air(space?) towers outside of the trench.

I don't even know which of this I read in EU stuff 20ish years ago and which of it I just made up but it sounds good.

Yup. The Y-Wings were the primary bombers, while the X-Wings were the cover. The whole Death Star attack was very similar to naval aviation battles in WWII where torpedo bombers would make runs at ships while fighters covered them. Lucas drew a lot of inspiration from the WWII films he grew up watching, and the Death Star assault really shows it.

Lazy Reservist fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 18, 2016

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Has a math sperg figured out just how many gun emplacements it would take to totally cover the entire surface area of the Death Star with their fields of fire?

Cause I bet its a whole goddamn lot of guns.

E: I mean the smaller guns, not the quoted 15000 big guys.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
OK, wookieepedia says the Death Star has a diameter of 120 km, which gives a surface area of around 45,000 km. At a minimum, the 15,000 turbolasers would be 3 km apart. Assuming the towers are 50 m tall, this gives them a range to horizon of around 1.5 km, which would make interlocking fields of fire possible.

I figure some math sperg already beat me to the answer, which is why those numbers are on wookieepedia.

OK, I did some more math and a gun that's 2 m above the surface would have about a third of a km range to horizon. From that, to ensure complete coverage, there would need to be around 130,000 guns.

Lazy Reservist fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 18, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Every time you guys mention wookiepedia, I remember how someone posted the page about Bojack Horseman, Jedi Pilot or whatever. Then I realize you're still going to that website.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Every time you guys mention wookiepedia, I remember how someone posted the page about Bojack Horseman, Jedi Pilot or whatever. Then I realize you're still going to that website.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Because in the end, we're all a little 'tistic

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Booblord Zagats posted:

Because in the end, we're all a little 'tistic

A little?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I'm protecting my ego, okay?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Lucas did A Good Job in ANH's trench battle representing equally the arrogance of the Imperial commanders and the scrappiness of the rebels. Military realism had to eat the difference, but in a sci fi flick that's completely acceptable.

Remember how horrible the alternative is - when storytelling takes a back seat to conveying a system of rules that only exists in the fictional universe - midichlorians.

I just wanna know how much dick art covers the space bathrooms on the Death Star.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booblord Zagats posted:

Warhammer 40K is all about scale and badass gothic era architecture

And Thatcher to an extent.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 18, 2016

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Gross.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Arrath posted:

Has a math sperg figured out just how many gun emplacements it would take to totally cover the entire surface area of the Death Star with their fields of fire?

Cause I bet its a whole goddamn lot of guns.

E: I mean the smaller guns, not the quoted 15000 big guys.

Say about 20 guns, some on the surface, some on the tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Zeris posted:

Lucas did A Good Job in ANH's trench battle representing equally the arrogance of the Imperial commanders and the scrappiness of the rebels. Military realism had to eat the difference, but in a sci fi flick that's completely acceptable.

Remember how horrible the alternative is - when storytelling takes a back seat to conveying a system of rules that only exists in the fictional universe - midichlorians.

I just wanna know how much dick art covers the space bathrooms on the Death Star.

It's pretty well established that the trench scene was based on The Dam Busters, since it's basically a shot-for-shot remake.

• Locked thread