Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yeah, I don't dislike pavlov or anything but the only thing stopping me from buying him a hilarious bunny avatar/title right now is the fact I'm utterly skint.

Because that story is comedy gold, and just perfectly goony in every way.

Oh man waking up to a bunny avatar would have been the loving icing on this cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New one up.

Thank you all SO MUCH for the influx of stories! I like that many of them are more "profound moments in childhood" rather than traumas, which I think are equally as interesting.

I was sent one HELL of a dark story this morning and I'm trying to think of how to present it. Luckily the author didn't experience it herself but heard it second-hand when people didn't know she was listening, but hot drat it's rough. I'll be posting it sometime next week with a warning label on it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Hmmm, that one would have been better if the author had been less preachy at the end.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
First thing that comes to mind

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Hmmm, that one would have been better if the author had been less preachy at the end.

Agreed. I know he would have complained if I didn't have it there, though. I'll put the kibosh on preaching requests in the future.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Even just abridging it would have helped, like:

"That day I learned: How to sit down and shut up. It remains a useful skill."

Not sure how far you want to take your creative liberties with these though.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Even just abridging it would have helped, like:

"That day I learned: How to sit down and shut up. It remains a useful skill."

Not sure how far you want to take your creative liberties with these though.

I approve of this suggestion.

I'm heading off to alter it.

Wish me luck, as I currently have an inbox full of personal tragedy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad that this excursion has worked out well for you Plethora.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Hi folks. I'm just getting rolling with a webcomic and wouldn't mind some critique.

http://www.theauroracycle.com

It's... different. The idea behind it was to be super efficient in terms of art while also having a real strong literary voice. The goal being to have a faster update schedule than most, and a more thoughtful approach to story than your usual fantasy comic circlejerk. I don't know how well I did any of that, so I need to you tell me.

Also, this is kind of unusual for a webcomic, but before I even started the comic I wrote two prequel novels (strictly optional) to really exercise my story muscles and get all the cliche poo poo out of the way. Which, well, I am not really sure how people are going to take that.

I have two chapters up right now (about 50 pages), with a third coming in a week or so, and a fourth a few weeks after that. I am planning updating by chapter, because it gives me time to properly edit 20 pages at a time, rather than the piecemeal approach where I can't change story bits as easily. I might change that update schedule to something weekly in the future, but for now I'm just trying to lay down the intro as fast as I can.

So yeah. Anything anyone wants to say is okay by me. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sepherothic posted:

Hi folks. I'm just getting rolling with a webcomic and wouldn't mind some critique.

So yeah. Anything anyone wants to say is okay by me. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

Too tired to make it through all of them tonight, but page 6's image is broken. Looks like the source is pointing to panel61.jpg, since I can access panel6.jpg directly just fine.

First 6 pages are interesting, though!

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Sepherothic posted:

I wrote one, but it got pretty long. I'll send it to you in a pm.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Pyroclastic posted:

Too tired to make it through all of them tonight, but page 6's image is broken. Looks like the source is pointing to panel61.jpg, since I can access panel6.jpg directly just fine.

First 6 pages are interesting, though!

Whoops. I guess it didn't upload. Thanks, fixed!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i forgot how good the visuals for the property of hate are

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Tollymain posted:

Yeah, her art really shines and the ideas are great. Gonna link it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, it's like a more sinister Phantom Tollbooth with some really inventive art.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kojiro posted:

it's like a more sinister Phantom Tollbooth with some really inventive art.

Now that got my attention. Liking this a lot.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Quinton posted:

Now that got my attention. Liking this a lot.

Yeah, it became a favourite of mine very quickly, drew an RGB fanart and everything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kojiro posted:

Yeah, her art really shines and the ideas are great. Gonna link it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, it's like a more sinister Phantom Tollbooth with some really inventive art.

Oh wow this is really really good

This is now my second favorite webcomic about a man with a television for a head.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I assume the first is Rice Boy

If not you've got some sharing to do

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

I assume the first is Rice Boy

If not you've got some sharing to do

Yes it's Rice Boy

If there are more television headed people out there I'd like to know as well

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not a webcomic but Saga has tv people too.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Tollymain posted:

Oh heavens, thanks for reminding me. I lost track of this comic for a few months now. Just caught up, and it's still enjoyable. The dark tunnel was such a creative idea, the whole comic is great.

Also Sepherothic, I read your comic, afraid I'm not the best at good critique at the moment. I'll need to follow the plot a bit more to get interested, but not a bad read so far. I'll try and keep up with it.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I was randomly reminded of Listening to 11.975mhz today and apparently the creator took it down

bassoon

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Kojiro posted:

Does this have a regular update schedule, or is it a 'it's done when it's done' kind of deal?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Now that I've read the entire thing I hope it updates at least semi-regularly.

Looks like the creator has a Patreon and is about halfway to the "I can do this fulltime" goal.

One of the Patreon support tiers mentions a physical book, but I can't seem to find an option anywhere to just buy the book if you want to support the artist that way -- perhaps it was a limited run?

Quinton fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 19, 2016

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Quinton posted:

Now that I've read the entire thing I hope it updates at least semi-regularly.

Looks like the creator has a Patreon and is about halfway to the "I can do this fulltime" goal.

One of the Patreon support tiers mentions a physical book, but I can't seem to find an option anywhere to just buy the book if you want to support the artist that way -- perhaps it was a limited run?

She puts them on her Etsy in small runs every now and then, I snagged one and it's a nice big book with a sketch in, worth looking out for. And yeah, it updates pretty often!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Kojiro posted:

This is utterly fantastic. First new webcomic I've started reading in a while. Thanks for the rec.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Best thing since Buttlord GT.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh hey look another cool thing I completely forgot about.

e/ as I suspected, there's been a whole five new pages since I last checked Crush Saga. Such is life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ppaiQ6mhbE

SynthOrange posted:

It's not a webcomic but Saga has tv people too.

Well if we're not limiting ourselves to webcomics then Dead Leaves is pretty fantastic :anime:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 19, 2016

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Kojiro posted:

She puts them on her Etsy in small runs every now and then, I snagged one and it's a nice big book with a sketch in, worth looking out for. And yeah, it updates pretty often!

Oh hey, she has some books up right now!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kojiro posted:

Oh hey, she has some books up right now!

Nice! *clicks the BUY NOW button*

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

There's a pretty comic called Pepper and Carrot. I haven't really read it, but it looks cute and when I saw a kickstarter for volume 2, I decided to back it, without really looking too hard at the campaign. Webcomic kickstarters are common, easy to fulfill, and almost never fail, so if I see one for a comic that I like or looks interesting, I tend to back it and just ignore it until I get the book or I notice it's been a year and I don't have a book.

It was canceled well into stretch goal territory, and I finally took a look at it. Turns out it wasn't OK'd by the Pepper and Carrot creator. Initially the commenters thought it was just straight up infringement, but it's confused because the strip is using a Creative Commons license, but the kickstarter was missing required attributions and implied endorsements from the creator. Basically the campaign creator was going to get thousands of dollars for a book printing and only promised a 'donation' to the actual comic creator. The kickstarter is currently suspended pending an IP dispute. The comic creator isn't happy, but it's looking like once the campaign creator fixes the attributions and endorsement issues, he'll be able to restore it and still try to print the book, thanks to the CC license.

Definitely won't be backing that one again!

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 22, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: Remember when this comic had a cast? Those were the days.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sleepless Domain: Remember when this comic had a cast? Those were the days.

So, is this like an attempt to make a 'dark and gritty' magic girl anime? Because the more I think about that the more it seems like a dumb idea.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems more like "what if Ami Mizuno were the main character".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pavlov posted:

So, is this like an attempt to make a 'dark and gritty' magic girl anime? Because the more I think about that the more it seems like a dumb idea.
The problem is that the last chapter has been split between her moping about life to herself and her being passive aggressive to anyone within earshot with no one to fill out the now barren cast list to provide any sort of levity from that.

Rand Brittain posted:

It seems more like "what if Ami Mizuno were the main character".
Coincidently (Same va, noted as an influence), this feels a lot like what would have happened if Heartcatch Precure focused on Yuri who basically goes on largely the same "Get beat to near death / have life saved at cost of friend / become distant" storyline and I can't imagine that making for compelling watching ether.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 21, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes it's Rice Boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLCL

How do you miss the actual best anime?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 21, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wasn't there one in Redline?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
In Demon, is that a catapult on the back of that truck or a tow rig? Can't tell. I hope it is a catapult and the plan involves just flinging dumb rear end immortals over the wall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wasn't there one in Redline?

I think that guy just had a box-shaped head. And moth antennae, for some reason.

The O.G. tv-head man is Retro from Dead Leaves.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sepherothic posted:

http://www.theauroracycle.com

It's... different. The idea behind it was to be super efficient in terms of art while also having a real strong literary voice. The goal being to have a faster update schedule than most, and a more thoughtful approach to story than your usual fantasy comic circlejerk. I don't know how well I did any of that, so I need to you tell me.

Also, this is kind of unusual for a webcomic, but before I even started the comic I wrote two prequel novels (strictly optional) to really exercise my story muscles and get all the cliche poo poo out of the way. Which, well, I am not really sure how people are going to take that.

I have two chapters up right now (about 50 pages), with a third coming in a week or so, and a fourth a few weeks after that. I am planning updating by chapter, because it gives me time to properly edit 20 pages at a time, rather than the piecemeal approach where I can't change story bits as easily. I might change that update schedule to something weekly in the future, but for now I'm just trying to lay down the intro as fast as I can.

Your format is killing you.

To be blunt you're too early in your career as an artist to be obsessing about efficiency. If anything you should be looking for ways to do MORE work each page (more detailed shading, more deliberate color choice, better anatomy, etc) rather than less. That's not to say efficiency is always bad, but it comes at a cost in quality that you're not good enough to pay yet.

Consider switching to a more traditional comic format. I'd look at Tenko King if you want a decent example of "efficient" storytelling. OR if you're married to a text heavy format you could publish this as a novel and use some of the drawings as illustrations. Right now though it just comes across like you were too lazy to make real art.

• Locked thread