Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
these are dark days for the shojo community...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And I just caught up on the current chapters of inubaka on kissmanga since apparently viz cancelled the license, and volume 15 took an unexpectedly creepy twist with the creepy stalker guy who had kidnapped suguri when she was 4 years old, and then he proposed to her after admitting it when she confronted him

Like wtf, I just want the dog stories and lighthearted shenanigans/dramatic dog stuff, not an episode of law and order in the making

2016: the year hopes and dreams die

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

ReLife kinda coming apart at the seams...
Yes... What the heck?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Have a competent shoujo protagonist, thread.

I started reading Colette Decides to Die because it had a strange icon with skull headed guys surrounding our main character that looked too cheerful for the title. I was rewarded for my curiosity with a cute story of an overworked doctor who decides to end it all, but in the underworld becomes the doctor to Hades, (who's a bishounen, of course) and reminded why she became a doctor in the first place. Strong ties to Greco-Roman myth, and a solid female lead. 7 chapters translated so far.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

dordreff posted:

*makes a nuanced, intricate portrayal of kids growing and maturing over the course of a relationship* Hey editorial says throw in some hot dudes to boost popularity, so anyway, here's some hot dudes

Would be my guess, but who knows. It really is too bad.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Baron Snow posted:

Colette Decides to Die

This is a fun read, thanks!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baron Snow posted:

I started reading Colette Decides to Die because it had a strange icon with skull headed guys surrounding our main character that looked too cheerful for the title. I was rewarded for my curiosity with a cute story of an overworked doctor who decides to end it all, but in the underworld becomes the doctor to Hades, (who's a bishounen, of course) and reminded why she became a doctor in the first place. Strong ties to Greco-Roman myth, and a solid female lead. 7 chapters translated so far.

I was excited to see this one had more chapters because I thought it was a one-shot initially. Colette is great!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

lol I'd forgotten that Netsuzou Trap was getting an official English release until a new chapter turned up.

Holy cow, really? I never would have guessed something like that would get localized.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-11/seven-seas-adds-ntr-netsuzou-trap-yuri-manga/.96409

I guess Citrus did well enough that they've decided the more, uh, racy stuff sells.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

2 girls with boyfriends begin relationship with each other

Sounds like a fun read tbh.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Love is Like After the Rain got nominated for a Manga Taisho award. Being a seinen manga with an age gap I've been reading it kinda wondering if it was going to turn skeevy at some point, but so far it's been mostly a slice of life with the romance being completely one-sided. The manager is cute, kinda goofy and bumbling :3:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-11/seven-seas-adds-ntr-netsuzou-trap-yuri-manga/.96409

I guess Citrus did well enough that they've decided the more, uh, racy stuff sells.

Clearly. I'm happy yuri is doing well in the West, but I can think of a few other yuri series I'd release before NTR Trap.

Octave is an older series, sure, but it has like a half dozen sex scenes anyway. They should release that.

Truga posted:

Sounds like a fun read tbh.

It's uh...interesting.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sylphid posted:

It's uh...interesting.

NTR's mangaka wanted to write something that reminded people of a soap opera, and she certainly succeeded at that. I don't have a problem with the whole cheating premise, but I do have a problem with the main character being denser than a neutron star.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Thuryl posted:

NTR's mangaka wanted to write something that reminded people of a soap opera, and she certainly succeeded at that. I don't have a problem with the whole cheating premise, but I do have a problem with the main character being denser than a neutron star.

Seriously. "My childhood friend takes every chance she can to be around me and constantly gropes and sexually harasses me, I wonder what it could mean! :downs:"

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I just hope they tell the blonde guy to piss up a rope. No excuse for that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm guessing that even though vizmedia had the license for inubaka but dropped it in 2010 or so, that nobody will finish the series via scanlations? or are there scans out there for the remaining quarter of the series?

:(

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ReLife kinda coming apart at the seams...

It tried :argh:

I'd be a lot happier if they went with the MC slowly getting better enough to be hired by companies then introduced a new patient after his arc ended who is a woman.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm guessing that even though vizmedia had the license for inubaka but dropped it in 2010 or so, that nobody will finish the series via scanlations? or are there scans out there for the remaining quarter of the series?

:(

It's been finished since 2010. I don't think it's gonna happen other than some random fan deciding to scanlate the rest of it themselves.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

It tried :argh:

I'd be a lot happier if they went with the MC slowly getting better enough to be hired by companies then introduced a new patient after his arc ended who is a woman.

I think what gets me the most is (from what other people in the comments were talking about) that this was planned from the start so it's like, it didn't even fall apart due to poor planning or just not knowing where to go with it, this was all on purpose. It's been really good about not going to gross places and I was OK with Hishiro being in the program because she and Kaizaki were pretty clearly getting steered toward each other and that removed most of the gross factor, but that last chapter was...something else entirely jeez.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Mikl posted:

Seriously. "My childhood friend takes every chance she can to be around me and constantly gropes and sexually harasses me, I wonder what it could mean! :downs:"
Sounds like a slightly more oblivious version of me.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
On the other hand from NTR Trap, This is a pretty good one-shot story from the same mangaka. Seems like stories with cheating are things she likes to work on. 'Tis NSFW.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
"Girls who have boyfriends should just explode!"

Seems like that would kind of reduce her dating pool though.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The path of true love never was straight.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Baron Snow posted:

This is awesome. I read it TWICE this morning.

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Noted cat boyfriend manga Odette and elementary school cat boyfriend manga Nekota have updated.

I thought the boyfriend in Odette had only a cat head like Nekota, but he's wearing scarves and gloves in every chapter so it's like they're deliberately hiding the rest of his potentially cat body.

I am so happy reading Odette. Thank you!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Love is Like After the Rain got nominated for a Manga Taisho award. Being a seinen manga with an age gap I've been reading it kinda wondering if it was going to turn skeevy at some point, but so far it's been mostly a slice of life with the romance being completely one-sided. The manager is cute, kinda goofy and bumbling :3:

I'm mixed about romances with this sort of age gap. On one hand it is kind of inherently messed up for there to be any sort of love situation between an older man and a teenage girl, and it is virtually always a bad idea in real life. But on the other hand the generation gap can lead to some interesting dynamics that you can't really reproduce otherwise, though I guess a better way to achieve the same thing is to have one person in their 20's and the other in their 40's or whatever. Though in that case you lose the "one person isn't familiar with various aspects of adult life" aspect.

edit: That scene where she chases after the guy to return his phone reminds me of the time I was in Japan and had a receptionist at a bank chase me a really far, like a couple blocks, after I mistakenly left something there after leaving.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 19, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hey shoujo thread, figure this is the right place to ask. I'm trying to remember the name of this manga I meant to read at some point but forgot the name of. It's about this lesbian couple raising a kindergarten age kid with the help of their neighbour who's the gay ex-lover of the mother's dead husband.

On that note, anyone got recommendations for other mangas about patchwork families like that? My Brother's Husband is on my reading list, but I'm sure there's more out there.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a cartoon duck posted:

On that note, anyone got recommendations for other mangas about patchwork families like that? My Brother's Husband is on my reading list, but I'm sure there's more out there.

how about a whole thread full

Everything that's been recommended up to the last couple pages or so is on page 1 so you don't even have to dig, but be sure to look at the most recent posts because there were some new ones posted last night.

e: is this the one you're looking for? I haven't read it yet so I'm just going by plot summary but this came to mind from your description
http://dynasty-scans.com/series/ohana_holoholo

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 19, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Mahou-Tsukai-no-Yome

It's.... something? Romance, at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's Good, is what It is

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There was a new extra uploaded so I re-read Sayonara, Heron.
Souji's life has been a series of dull events, with his parents endlessly quarreling, until he comes across Mika, a carefree student who lives each day as it comes. They start a relationship which banishes heavy words like "love" or "devotion". They see each other occasionally, without making any promises and such. But can an ordinary relationship make Souji say something like "I only got this far because you were with me?" As Mika says "Who knows..."

I've read this one 3 or 4 times now. I really like the loose lineart style and seeing the vague feelings they both have to start with grow into something more. The new extra is pretty great as well, makes me wish there was more of that slice of life stuff with those two.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

It's Good, is what It is

Oh, it's fantastic is what it is, but christ, I don't know if I can stand another series with monthly releases!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, it's fantastic is what it is, but christ, I don't know if I can stand another series with monthly releases!

Mahoutsukai no Yome works well as a monthly release, though. It doesn't have any cliffhangers and each chapter feels fulfilling by itself.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just finished Shinri Fuwa's Yakuza Family series and I'm bored so have a review.

Zettai Unmei Houteishiki
Tamaki, the son of a yakuza family, is friends with Tomoyuki who is 12 years older than him. One day, Tomoyuki kisses Tamaki. Tamaki becomes confused and runs away but before he has a chance figure out his feelings, Tomoyuki goes abroad for 3 years without saying anything or keeping in touch with Tamaki. Now Tomoyuki is back in Japan but he's avoiding Tamaki. Can the two become close again?
First book in the series; I actually started with the second couple and realized I was going out of order about 2 chapters in so I backtracked to this one but it wasn't worth it. Tamaki is incredibly obnoxious, even for a character who is supposed to be immature and childish. The age gap is pretty bad too, 12 years between them and Tomo was apparently thirsty for a 13 year old :yikes: For a yakuza family setting there wasn't very much yakuza-ing going on either; Tamaki has bodyguards and has some school drama around being a gangster's kid but it was all pretty generic. I wanted to start from the beginning to make sure I wasn't missing anything about the older brother (lead of the second story) but he's only in a few scenes and mostly what you gain from this one is a little bit of context on the family. Skip this one and start with the second book for sure.

Tsumasaki ni Kiss
Karasuma Touji and Yasobe Homura have been secret lovers for the past 4 years. However, their families and respective groups are long time rivals. With Touji destined to take over as head of his family, as well as the group, can their relationship survive?
Homura is the older brother from the first book, and finally everyone involved is an adult yay! There's a little bit of background about how they got together but it doesn't spend much time on their history and starts up with the relationship well underway. Touji is set to be the boss of a rival group and Homura's family is an underling family of a different group so their difference in status causes lots of tension between them. This one gets a little more gangstery; Homura runs a host club and meets with the group bosses, Touji gets up to a few shady dealings although it's mostly political maneuvering with the groups, and there's some violence toward the end but it's all sort of vague -- doesn't compare at all to something like Kobi no Kyoujin as far as yakuza BL goes (art-wise either lol). Due to the tension between Homura and Touji, a third party slips in and starts making a move on Homura -- Kyouya, one of the hosts at Homura's club has the hots for him and wants to take him away from Touji and gives it a pretty good effort. Touji is kind of a douche as well so at times I was rooting for Kyouya lol. However since he stars in the sequel it's pretty obvious how that all ends up. This is all incredibly soapy drama but sometimes that's just what I'm in the mood for and this hit the spot. I liked Homura's tough persona, especially when he got serious at the end and despite Touji's douchiness I enjoyed the resolution.

Gravity Eyes
After his relationship with Homura ended, Kyouya left his job as a host to go to college. Kyouya, who still cares for Homura, is attracted to his boss at his part-time job because he reminds him of his lost love. However, the person he thinks of most isn’t Homura or his boss. It’s Kiriya, a professor Kyouya met by chance when he was looking for a home for two abandoned kittens. Almost against his will, Kyouya feels drawn to the cold and arrogant Kiriya. Is Kyouya fated to always know only unrequited love?
Kyouya is kind of pitiful because he keeps getting drawn to these unavailable guys. He's got a full plate as far as tragic backstories go -- dead father's debt falls to him, sick mother, plus a kid sister in school he wants to support. Kiriya gives him a run for his money though, his backstory is full of abandonment and a lover who got married and died tragically (and mysteriously because his cause of death is never actually revealed lol). He ends up shacking up with the professor after more misfortune befalls him (some of his own making) and slowly thaws out Kiriya's frozen heart. Whereas the second book was all love triangle drama, this one piles on the tragedy. I ended up crying through most of it (again, guess I was just in the mood for some melodrama) but it is super cheesy and heavy-handed and I could see also reading this and laughing at how overwrought it is. Still, IMO this was the best of the three and could stand alone but it's nice to already be familiar with Kyouya. Also he switches from top to bottom between the two books and running across a versatile character in yaoi is rare enough that it's kinda worth reading both just for that.

Art-wise all three are pretty standard, with blocky faces and bodies and big ole yaoi chins. Most of the sex is just implied so there are only a few explicit scenes and even those are pretty mild and undetailed, which I suppose could be either a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for. They're soapy melodrama all the way down, but other than a few forced kiss scenes they don't get rapey which is notable considering their age and style. The worst offense is the age gap in the first book, that's just gross. This isn't really an endorsement of the series; I'd probably not recommend it unless you were just in the mood for this kind of story but for what it is, it does it well. Fuwa has a substantial collection of work and I was trying to think of what else I've read of by her and I think the only one is Chidori-san Chi ni Kagitte which is much newer and overall one I like better (although the end is a little ehhh) but I can see a lot of similarity between these and that one now that I've read this series.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 20, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
First new Between Smooth and Rough in a long time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd totally forgotten about that

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nate RFB posted:

First new Between Smooth and Rough in a long time.

Looking forward to reading that. There's something endearing about the art.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Koisuru Harinezumi new chapter, with the expected ex-girlfriend drama. Kii you're such an idiot :cripes:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Koisuru Harinezumi new chapter, with the expected ex-girlfriend drama. Kii you're such an idiot :cripes:

I'm mixed about stuff like this happening in shoujo manga. On one hand, it's actually somewhat realistic for teenagers to think this kind of dumb poo poo makes sense. Like, Kii being insecure about her boyfriend's ex is normal, and I can even see her thinking that it's acceptable to have to "prove" to the ex that her boyfriend is no longer interested. But a lot of the time it seems like the comic is actually playing this stuff straight and giving the impression that it's totally reasonable to think/do these things (and you have to remember that the audience is mostly other teenage girls, who probably also don't have the maturity yet to understand how dumb some of this stuff is).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 21, 2016

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

The best news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
She Loves the Delicious Meat Please Love the Useless Me just got a new chapter.

Everything seems to be going fine. I'm worried :ohdear: