Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hocus Pocus posted:

I'd definitely be interested in it if the size was close to the GR. If you can pocket it, then I'm sold. Flip screens are a must for me on cameras without viewfinders - mostly to fight off glare.

It's almost the same size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The current run of X cameras make sense in terms of giving the X-Trans 2 sensor a last hurrah. Get the best body possible out at each price point, (XE2s), put out a few gambles at minimal cost (X70), and then you can focus on the new sensor.

They can work out the X-trans 3 kinks with the X-pro 2, which draws users who aren't super focused on performance and less critical of things not being perfect. Bla bla 'slow' photography.

I know not to expect the X-T2 in 2016, but drat that would be nice. I'm really curious to see how the X-trans 3 stacks up to the entry level FF DSLRs.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The X-E2s only seems marginally different from the X-E2 and certainly not really worth making a new model over, my concern is that it will cause X-E2 owners (me :() to get screwed out of future firmware updates.

Bottled Water
Aug 22, 2008

That lens is pretty average.
Panasonic seem to be giving them away super cheap or even free with some bodies.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The 25 isn't spectacular, it's the 20 that you're after.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Somehow I am convinced that my OG Fuji x100 has the ability to shoot in 1:1 ratio, but for the life of me I cannot find that option in any of the menus.
Is it an outdated firmware issue, or am I just crazy for thinking this camera could do this?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Putrid Grin posted:

Somehow I am convinced that my OG Fuji x100 has the ability to shoot in 1:1 ratio, but for the life of me I cannot find that option in any of the menus.
Is it an outdated firmware issue, or am I just crazy for thinking this camera could do this?

On my S, 1:1 is under image size in the main menu and second row second column under the Q menu.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Saros posted:

The X-E2s only seems marginally different from the X-E2 and certainly not really worth making a new model over, my concern is that it will cause X-E2 owners (me :() to get screwed out of future firmware updates.

it seems strange to me to put it out now, 3 years after the X-E2, when presumably an X-E3 with the new sensor is only a handful of months / a year away if they follow the general X-Pro -> X-E -> X-T progression people seem to be expecting

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd think it'd be to fill the current gap in 2nd tier, XF mount, slim form factor. An X-T10 is basically a combination of a smaller, worse X-T1 and a marginally better X-E2.

Top of the line/"professional grade": XPro2, X-T1
Everyday enthusiast/"prosumer": X-E2s, X-T10
Unicorn tears tier: X100T
P&S enthusiast: X70, whatever

I think it's dumb as hell, but the X-E2 has been discontinued and there "technically" is a gap in the Fuji grab bag when it comes to the X-E form factor. I'd rather put X-E2s money towards an X-T1.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe the rumor of XT2 coming out this year is true and Fuji wants to put out another midrange body to make the line up less top heavy?

code:
XP2       XT2             X100t 
 |         |               |
XE2s     XT10             X70
   \     /
     XA3

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I reckon the X-E2s is to buy a few yearswhile they shuffle the upgrade cycle while avoiding a lineup that seems stale (if you just read the list of release dates). At the moment the upgrade cycle would seem to be:
Pro? > E? > T? > T?0.

I suspect they'd like to switch to:
Pro? > T?0 >> E? > T?0.

Release upgrades to the two top tier bodies close together then only the second tier 18+ months later.That would cut down on the issue of the second tier specs catching up with the top tier too soon.

Plus Fuji probably regret releasing the E2 instead of the E1s and buggering up with numbering convention. Release a X-E2T when they do the T20 and get it all back in sync.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fuji put up the X-pro 2 page early by accident. It's gone now but the specs are up on https://www.fujirumors.com. I'm phone posting so I'm not going to c/p that jumbled mess.

1/8000 shutter, 24Megapixels, max RAW ISO improved to 12,800.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I just want them to give us E2 folk whatever magic they used on the T1/T10 to make the autofocus better.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

Fuji put up the X-pro 2 page early by accident. It's gone now but the specs are up on https://www.fujirumors.com. I'm phone posting so I'm not going to c/p that jumbled mess.

I want this bad.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

8th-snype posted:

I want this bad.

I've been reading the specs and trying to put my lust for the camera strictly down to GAS but really if the autofocus is as good as it sounds and it has better high ISO performance I can imagine my xp1 might be getting an upgrade soon.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Huxley posted:

On my S, 1:1 is under image size in the main menu and second row second column under the Q menu.

It aint there, and I was under the impression that my firmware was up to date... so it looks like it aint happening .

Fart Car '97 posted:

I wonder how will the Fuji glass handle the boost in resolution.
I remember a lot of nikon glass not being up to snuff when the d800 came out.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Aargh posted:

I've been reading the specs and trying to put my lust for the camera strictly down to GAS but really if the autofocus is as good as it sounds and it has better high ISO performance I can imagine my xp1 might be getting an upgrade soon.

Yeah I'm gonna buy an Xt1 this week to replace my XE2 and then when I get my tax return replace my Xpro1 with a 2.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Putrid Grin posted:

It aint there, and I was under the impression that my firmware was up to date... so it looks like it aint happening .

I wonder how will the Fuji glass handle the boost in resolution.
I remember a lot of nikon glass not being up to snuff when the d800 came out.

That's the least of my worries to be honest, Fuji glass is already world-class. All I really care about is how the high ISO /low light performance is, as that has always been crop sensors' weakest area compared to FF. I love my XT1 but god I miss the power of having an ISO hammer.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The Camera Store TV just posted their hands on with the XPro2 for those who were curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQmKcmC8Kmg

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mest0r posted:

The Camera Store TV just posted their hands on with the XPro2 for those who were curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQmKcmC8Kmg

dat acros filter

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fuji updated their remote app and it now works with my XT1 and S5 :thurman:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My XT10 finally came in yesterday, and ho-boy is this camera an amazing improvement over the XE1. The new AF system is fantastic, it's not quite as fast as what I had on the 60D way back when, but it's super close. I definitely like the SLR body shape over the rangefinder on the XE1 and the extra dials and stuff make adjusting things on the fly nice and easy. Also I absolutely love Classic Chrome.

I got it with the 18-55 2.8-4 as well; it's much heavier than I expected it to be and the build quality is pretty amazing (feels as good or better than the 24-105L I used to have). So far the IQ on it seems great, but I have to admit it feels weird having a zoom lens on these X cameras. Part of me wants to keep the 18mm prime and sell off the zoom, but in use the zoom seems like it will end up being more useful and everything I've read says the IQ is better than the prime.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ouhei posted:

My XT10 finally came in yesterday, and ho-boy is this camera an amazing improvement over the XE1. The new AF system is fantastic, it's not quite as fast as what I had on the 60D way back when, but it's super close. I definitely like the SLR body shape over the rangefinder on the XE1 and the extra dials and stuff make adjusting things on the fly nice and easy. Also I absolutely love Classic Chrome.

I got it with the 18-55 2.8-4 as well; it's much heavier than I expected it to be and the build quality is pretty amazing (feels as good or better than the 24-105L I used to have). So far the IQ on it seems great, but I have to admit it feels weird having a zoom lens on these X cameras. Part of me wants to keep the 18mm prime and sell off the zoom, but in use the zoom seems like it will end up being more useful and everything I've read says the IQ is better than the prime.

After going from my X100S to the X-T10 my first reaction to the 18-55 was, "Woah, this thing is front heavy." But having a usable standard zoom has been amazing and the whole setup is very well balanced with a manual lens attached, so I have high hopes for the primes, particularly the 35/2, balancing more naturally. That said, I have gotten used to the 18-55. It feels a lot more natural after a couple of weeks than I was expecting it to, it's just weird to think how the whole setup may have felt better if the lens was made of plastic instead of metal, premium feel be damned.

FuncType
Mar 29, 2007

Tactical Wiener Lover

Huxley posted:

After going from my X100S to the X-T10 my first reaction to the 18-55 was, "Woah, this thing is front heavy." But having a usable standard zoom has been amazing and the whole setup is very well balanced with a manual lens attached, so I have high hopes for the primes, particularly the 35/2, balancing more naturally. That said, I have gotten used to the 18-55. It feels a lot more natural after a couple of weeks than I was expecting it to, it's just weird to think how the whole setup may have felt better if the lens was made of plastic instead of metal, premium feel be damned.

After getting my 35mm f/2 I basically haven't put anything else on my X-T10. This lens is SUPER nice and the IQ out of it is totally hoss.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Kudos to Fuji for giving XE2 owners a firmware upgrade alongside the XE2s announcement..

But where the heck was that philosophy for the X100s when the X100t came out?

:arghfist::emo:

Hahaha that smiley combination is so dope.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

zycl0n posted:

After getting my 35mm f/2 I basically haven't put anything else on my X-T10. This lens is SUPER nice and the IQ out of it is totally hoss.
Same, except with my X-T1. I'm contemplating selling my 23 because I never want to remove the 35/2.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zycl0n posted:

Yeah, I'm basically just spending the next few months holding onto both cameras seeing if I see enough situations to warrant keeping two. If not the X100 will get turned into the 35/2.

I've loved that little camera to death, but it goes how it goes.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can't wait till all of those xpro2 upgrades make their way into the xt2. Makes my bet to ditch Canon for Fuji feel very right. I figured the xtrans3 had to be in that resolution range.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Same, except with my X-T1. I'm contemplating selling my 23 because I never want to remove the 35/2.

Every time I think I don't need the 23 I take a picture with I and decide I still need it because it's just too good of a lens. I bought the X100T fully intending to keep one or the other, but I kept both. They are both just too good at what they do to pick one :negative:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Every time I think I don't need the 23 I take a picture with I and decide I still need it because it's just too good of a lens.
Yep. It's pretty rare I reach for the 23 lately but every time I do I'm thrilled with the results and decide that it's worth keeping around.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

With the X-Pro 2, is the Acros filter just the existing B+W film simulation with a new name?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hi liter posted:

With the X-Pro 2, is the Acros filter just the existing B+W film simulation with a new name?
No, it's new in addition to the existing B+W mode.

quote:

15 modes (PROVIA / Standard, Velvia / Vivid, ASTIA / Soft, CLASSIC CHROME, PRO Neg.Hi, PRO Neg.Std, Black& White, Black& White+Ye Filter, Black& White+R Filter, Black& White+GFilter, Sepia, ACROS, ACROS+Ye Filter, ACROS+R Filter, ACROS+G Filter)

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
All the hubbub around the 30 F2 makes me want to try it out, but it seems silly when I have the 30 F1.4 and I love that lens.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This X70 video review sound very promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3PJJGJdtvs

If it has a wide angle converter that's not too large and heavy, I would seriously consider it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No, it's new in addition to the existing B+W mode.

Anyone know if it will be gifted to other models via firmware update? Namely the x100t...

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

They have not said.
It looks like a great filter. I like to shoot b&w ye, sharpness +1, NR -2, and shadows +1 to get a similar effect, but the filter should have much better results, plus it seems to add some film-like grain.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The most thorough X Pro 2 review I have seen so far. Looks like its a fantastic sensor. Can't wait for an X-T2 with that sensor and processor and all the other upgrades. AF joystick with a bunch more AF points? JPEGs in one card, RAWs in the other? 85hz viewfinder? +/- 4 adjustments on the raw processor? ISO 12,800 that looks as good as 6,400 used to? :getin:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Animal posted:

The most thorough X Pro 2 review I have seen so far. Looks like its a fantastic sensor. Can't wait for an X-T2 with that sensor and processor and all the other upgrades. AF joystick with a bunch more AF points? JPEGs in one card, RAWs in the other? 85hz viewfinder? +/- 4 adjustments on the raw processor? ISO 12,800 that looks as good as 6,400 used to? :getin:

no touchscreen or flippy mechanism :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Malcolm XML posted:

Good. A touch screen would be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

Keep making cameras without articulated LCD's Fuji, and I'll keep not buying them.