Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sard posted:

Welp, I've tasted the power of six AC/2 with a 25% velocity and range buff and nine tons of ammo, it's all downhill from here.

Have you tried something good like 3xUAC/5 (or more)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Why would you ever get rid of a stormcrow? There are more than 3 good configurations.

I'll probably regret it if/when PGI ever makes changes to Stormcrow CTs, but I sold 2 of my spares and kept my other one and just swap out pods to taste. I don't do CW so I don't need multiples, and if I do need dupes of a chassis I have Hellbringers and Timberwolves.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

starkebn posted:

Have you tried something good like 3xUAC/5 (or more)?

I have tried 4xUAC/5 and that also rocked but there is something magical about this.

I'll switch back to the UAC/5s eventually but for now it's full-on :orks: time.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

ZenVulgarity posted:

The DC is a better hybrid laser boat if you don't want to use AC/2s since it is flat ballistics quirks

Also better acceleration/decel

The DC is a very nice laser spam with an AC slapped on as well

The DC also has an extra mech module slot.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The 6MPL blackjack is god

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
This Streakcrow from the front page is a weird little beast. It wrecks shop on lights as advertised, but when I get into a fight with a heavy or an assault, it gets messy. I was running around a dire wolf that got stuck in River City and holy poo poo I think I ripped four fifths of its armor off before killing it. I'm getting kills like normal but getting big numbers. I'm glad I got it.

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

I've been playing this game again for a few days now and I'm surprised that they've managed to turn things around at least a little and make it fun again. I just wish I knew why I keep getting put on the Oceanic and Euro servers when I'm east coast US.

Are there any decent Zeus builds? I don't remember getting any Zeuses before I quit but I've got like 4 of the drat things laying around so I might as well use them.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Click the down arrow next to quick play and uncheck oceanic. Euro too if wanted.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
what i'm surprised about the most is how i haven't grown tired of the game yet

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

I've been having fun doing rolling around in this kind of Urbanmech which is also fully elite.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

teepo posted:

what i'm surprised about the most is how i haven't grown tired of the game yet

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So eh, I have killed people by coring their rear CT without them turning back at all in an artic cheetah with 6 spl. That is unexpected, since whenever I take any rear damage I turn to look, but still hilariously fun.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

We need a good :effort: post for how CW works and to throw it into the OP.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Weissritter posted:

So eh, I have killed people by coring their rear CT without them turning back at all in an artic cheetah with 6 spl. That is unexpected, since whenever I take any rear damage I turn to look, but still hilariously fun.

People are retarded, especially assault mechs which seem to attract the worst of pubbie scum. lovely light and medium pilots usually just give up or think they dont have enough guns and armor and start playing heavies and assaults.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 18, 2016

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Lurming done right.

I'm just kidding, there is no good way to Lurm but this is a better way than most.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Vorenus posted:

Lurming done right.

I'm just kidding, there is no good way to Lurm but this is a better way than most.

the picture really means nothing when we don't know which one is you. Or your build.

Stop posting scoreboards

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

starkebn posted:

the picture really means nothing when we don't know which one is you. Or your build.

Stop posting scoreboards

4xLRM15/3ERSML/TAG Timber Wolf AlphariusII.

Also after all of the incessant whining of the last ten pages I'll post whatever I drat well want.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Tujague posted:

This Streakcrow from the front page is a weird little beast. It wrecks shop on lights as advertised, but when I get into a fight with a heavy or an assault, it gets messy. I was running around a dire wolf that got stuck in River City and holy poo poo I think I ripped four fifths of its armor off before killing it. I'm getting kills like normal but getting big numbers. I'm glad I got it.

I try not to one on one heavies and assaults in my Streakcrow. Murder any light you cross, maim mediums and try not to stop moving. Engage heavier mechs when they're distracted and pound them in the rear end

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's Stackpole and he loves his dogs, so that would make sense. It also wouldn't be the first time FASA horribly misspelled something in Japanese ( Da Si becoming Daishi is probably a good example)

After Handbook: House Kurita was released, a guy claiming to be a professional Japanese translator posted on the official forums in an Ask the Devs section and pointed out that pretty much every instance of Japanese in the book was either wrong at best or total nonsense at worst. The response was a slightly more polite way of saying "shut up, we're game writers not linguists" so that's the kind of attitude at work.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tujague posted:

Yeah, the streakcrow is first and foremost a light hunter. It is absolutely not a brawler, and against any competent medium mech set up for a brawl (or heavier) you should lose every time.

That is, until late in the round when everyone's got exposed internals. Then all of a sudden, the streakcrow becomes a lethal crit-seeker that can threaten any mech. The trick to maximizing your matches is to stay out of harm's way early on, keep enemy lights from shooting friendly assault butts, and always have a more attractive target than yourself nearby when the shooting starts, and swoop in for murder like a vulture at the end.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

That is, until late in the round when everyone's got exposed internals. Then all of a sudden, the streakcrow becomes a lethal crit-seeker that can threaten any mech. The trick to maximizing your matches is to stay out of harm's way early on, keep enemy lights from shooting friendly assault butts, and always have a more attractive target than yourself nearby when the shooting starts, and swoop in for murder like a vulture at the end.

This.

Also, bear in mind that you can take on the slower assaults if you play like a light and circle them while staying out of their field of fire, since you don't actually need to aim you guns, it's just a dicey proposition early on in the game and requires a lot of space, some cover, and a lot of patience.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This.

Also, bear in mind that you can take on the slower assaults if you play like a light and circle them while staying out of their field of fire, since you don't actually need to aim you guns, it's just a dicey proposition early on in the game and requires a lot of space, some cover, and a lot of patience.

Don't try this with King Crabs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

Don't try this with King Crabs.

This, and definitely don't do it against an Executioner with a god hand. When they engage MASC they'll turn on a dime and precision alpha you.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

DancingShade posted:

This, and definitely don't do it against an Executioner with a god hand. When they engage MASC they'll turn on a dime and precision alpha you.

SHINING

FINGAH

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I have like 10m cbills and I'm wondering if I should save them or make a terrible decision like buying an executioner just for the god hand build

Or do I buy three quickdraws and fart along

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I'm noticing I really enjoy lights and mediums a bit more because I have more freedom of movement

I'm glad I bought the timberwolves on sale though, they're really versitile and fun to play, same with some of the others

But I have most of my time spent on my Oxide I think!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

Lurming done right.

I made like 900 dmg one of those games in the LRM5 Pult. People literally just stand there and take it half the time...

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, the streakcrow is first and foremost a light hunter. It is absolutely not a brawler, and against any competent medium mech set up for a brawl (or heavier) you should lose every time.

What's also nice (and crazy) about Clan Streaks is that they have a 396m range after the range module. You can reach out and snag enemies from just outside of traditional brawling range, so abuse that to its fullest. I would never recommend trying to 1v1 a fresh assault, but if they're distracted or heavily damaged, definitely consider tossing a salvo or two at them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
By all means toss a salvo or two into a fight, but keep moving and don't stick around for the return shots. In a lot of ways, you have to play a streak crow as if it was a slow light.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have like 10m cbills and I'm wondering if I should save them or make a terrible decision like buying an executioner just for the god hand build

Or do I buy three quickdraws and fart along

There is a mech balance pass coming this tuesday. If you can hold of until that drops, you will be able to make a more informed choice.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

There is a mech balance pass coming this tuesday. If you can hold of until that drops, you will be able to make a more informed choice.

But the sale! :argh:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
in general buying 'mechs that are only good because of quirks is a bit of a risk

The Dragon-1N used to have absolutely bonkers AC/5 cooldown quirks -- 50 percent plus the additional 12.5 percent you'd get from a module. Everyone bought one and it was crazy -- folks would bring four of them to CW matches and end up with like 5,000 damage. Then they reduced it to 30 percent, and because the Dragon is a an oversized 60-ton CT with all the firepower in one knuckle-dragging arm, people stopped bringing them. I haven't seen one in months.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

in general buying 'mechs that are only good because of quirks is a bit of a risk

The Dragon-1N used to have absolutely bonkers AC/5 cooldown quirks -- 50 percent plus the additional 12.5 percent you'd get from a module. Everyone bought one and it was crazy -- folks would bring four of them to CW matches and end up with like 5,000 damage. Then they reduced it to 30 percent, and because the Dragon is a an oversized 60-ton CT with all the firepower in one knuckle-dragging arm, people stopped bringing them. I haven't seen one in months.

I thought quirks made most mechs

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

EoRaptor posted:

imo whatever changes they will make aren't going to be drastic enough to matter to someone who isn't already themselves very intimate with this game. the way i see it: play cool looking robots, find one you really like, and gently caress around with all sorts of build orders on it to find something that works for you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ZenVulgarity posted:

I thought quirks made most mechs

They do but certain 'mechs are always gonna be good unless they receive massive negative quirks. The clan power quartet (Timber Wolves, Stormcrows, Cheetahs, Dire Wolves, and Hellbringers and Ebon Jaguars to an extent) come to mind, as do certain IS robots to a lesser extent (Stalkers have inherent advantages beyond big quirks, the Raven-3L is probably always going to have a place somewhere).

In the case of Dragons, the quirks were all they had going for them. I kind of suspect Quickdraws are in the same space (although not to the extent the Dragons are).

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The AC2 blackjack is really fun

It's essentially a long range machine gun robot

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

ZenVulgarity posted:

The AC2 blackjack is really fun

It's essentially a long range machine gun robot

One day we might get magshots, then this can really be true.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Ugh I'm stuck in the hospital for the update tomorrow 😩

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Stringbean posted:

Ugh I'm stuck in the hospital for the update tomorrow 😩

Did you overheat like you did in my match you scrublord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Did you overheat like you did in my match you scrublord

We'll go with that (I just forgot to turn off my Override dammit!)

Had my Gall Bladder removed :(

• Locked thread