Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

enojy posted:

Wasn't Epic Yarn kinda bad, in the sense that you could fall asleep while holding right and beat the game?

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Merely completing the game was hilariously easy. Getting all the collectibles was balls-crushingly difficult.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HenryEx posted:

Merely completing the game was hilariously easy. Getting all the collectibles was balls-crushingly difficult.

Its like Yoshi's Story.

Squeak Squad is one of the more by the numbers Kirby games but you can upgrade copy abilities in it which is pretty cool. Its also one of few games that has the UFO power aka best power.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yoshi's Story is piss-easy no matter how you play it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
He might mean the Yarn Yoshi game.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

enojy posted:

Wasn't Epic Yarn kinda bad, in the sense that you could fall asleep while holding right and beat the game?

It was easy to just play through if you weren't collecting all the whatsits, but it was hella cute so that didn't matter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cloks posted:

Yarn Yoshi will make you hurt if you try for all the collectibles in some of the stages. Several only give you one chance to grab them as you go past, and you better drat-well hope you already have the full-health completion stamp before you decide to suicide back to the last checkpoint because it's very easy to screw yourself out of it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I did mean Story. Easy baby game but a decent challenge if you're going for just melons.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I need to finish Epic Yarn, I burned myself out trying to get all the collectables and getting gold medals or whatever. I was on the last world too IIRC.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Houle posted:

I need to finish Epic Yarn, I burned myself out trying to get all the collectables and getting gold medals or whatever. I was on the last world too IIRC.

You can do it. I believe in you.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cloks posted:

Nah, Woolly World is pretty easy so far, but I gave up on my "get everything" run some time in World 2, and didn't even know there was a don't-take-damage stamp for each level. Nooooo thanks.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I did mean Story. Easy baby game but a decent challenge if you're going for just melons.

So many melon runs killed because I screwed up the mini game

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
My girlfriend is looking for a JRPG to play on her 3DS. I'm mostly looking for something that would be under 30CAD. Aside from that maybe a few virtual console games...but I don't know which ones she would like since other than Mario and Zelda I haven't played much Gameboy or Gameboy Color to actually help guide her. She doesn't want to play the Oracle Zelda games (I had bought it for her but she never really got into it).

Any recommendations?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Denpa Men are cheap, JRPG-ish and have demos.
You could also look at Crimson Shroud, which simulates a short tabletop adventure down to dice rolling on the screen, and characters being miniatures. It's beatable in about six hours but that unlocks a longer and much tougher second version of the story. Mind, there's one spot (two in the second run) where you have to keep killing the same enemy group in a specific way for a chance that one of them drops a necessary quest item.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
She's looking more for one she can role play. Something where she has an option to play as a female (or female as part of a group) and she seems to want a romance aspect. To contextualize it a bit she spent quite a bit of time in Dragonage and Mass Effect trying to get the love interests she was into as well as Fallout 4. I can go a bit higher than 30 if it's in the more expensive range since I tried looking through every RPG on the eshop

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Anybody here play tipping stars? How is it, and are there any major differences between the wii u and 3ds versions, any reason to play through both since buying 1 gets you the other?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Houle posted:

She's looking more for one she can role play. Something where she has an option to play as a female (or female as part of a group) and she seems to want a romance aspect. To contextualize it a bit she spent quite a bit of time in Dragonage and Mass Effect trying to get the love interests she was into as well as Fallout 4. I can go a bit higher than 30 if it's in the more expensive range since I tried looking through every RPG on the eshop

Fire Emblem Awakening sounds like a good choice if you don't mind it being a tactical JRPG. You can make a custom character male or female and romance any character of the opposite sex.

FirstAidKite posted:

Anybody here play tipping stars? How is it, and are there any major differences between the wii u and 3ds versions, any reason to play through both since buying 1 gets you the other?

They're both the same except for the higher res on the Wii U version and the 3DS one has Streetpass.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Houle posted:

It's a little above $30 but what about rune factory 4? It's an rpg/farming sim with dating and marriage and it's also a good game all around.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
She has Awakening and I'm sure she'll love fates. In Awakening she husbando'd Chrome. Though I guess I can't talk I quickly waifu'd Anna as soon as I came across her as a playable character.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Houle posted:

Has she already played Rube Factory 4?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
She hasn't actually, she mentioned being interested in the game. I might get it since I doubt it will go down in price very soon. I was just hoping for something that was a little lower end in the price range since my new job hasn't started yet due to something with HR. But it seems like the description is right on the money. Thank you. It gives me some strong Secret of Mana vibes but with romance lines.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's not much in the way of Elder Scrolls/Bioware-style games on 3DS - pretty much everything's a JRPG and most of them retail their price, bar the Atlus dungeon crawlers which go on sale every other week.

Beyond Fire Emblem, there's Rune Factory 4 and Fantasy Life, I guess?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Beyond Fire Emblem, there's Rune Factory 4 and Fantasy Life, I guess?

How is Fantasy Life? I remember hearing a lot about it when it first came out and then nothing.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I agree on Rune Factory 4. Hits the JRPG, playing as a female, town to work with/romance, and then a little Harvest Moon farming. It's about $40 on the eshop I think?

For games that fit the budget, If she doesn't mind playing as a guy and enjoys more of the strategy stuff, the SMT Devil Survivor games might work too. I think Devil Survivor Overclocked is under 30 so it fits the budget, and both that one and the sequel tend to go on sale sorta often if you can wait. (edit: Just checked: the sequel (Record Breaker) is on sale now for 35 from 40. Atlus games are rarely not on sale. The original is $30.)

The CAD sucks right now and probably will for a while, so hopefully we keep getting some sales :canada:

Sarchasm posted:

How is Fantasy Life? I remember hearing a lot about it when it first came out and then nothing.

Story is a little kiddy but charming. The gameplay is fairly easy but can get a little grindy. Playing around with the different lives(job classes) can be fun when you need a change of pace. I would say it's worth it, but it seems a little rare now so the price hasn't dropped too much, at least not in Canada.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 17, 2016

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rune factory 4 has been my game of choice for the past month. All of the mechanics actually pretty deep if you want them to be. You could be selling level 10 farmed goods and have crazy crafted gear. There is a lot to that and the game rewards you for digging in. Or you can just run with level 2-3 farmed good and just craft whatever and still have a great time. I beat act 2 before reading up on any of the game mechanics.

Also the game lets you change your looks to a different character after act 2. If you like the male marrige options better but want to be female protagonists or visa versa that is possible.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I never managed to find all the melons in even a single level. :smith: Closest I got was all but one lousy melon and I searched for hours. Couldn't find it, ended up eating a grape to complete the level. Shameful.

Sarchasm posted:

Fantasy Life is adorable and charming and it'll get its hooks into you and not let you go for a month. I love it!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I just started playing Fantasy Life and it's addictive as hell

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sorry, I would post more but I need to get back to carpentering

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Fantasy Life owns

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 21):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Adventures of Pip - €13.06 / £11.79
    Adventures of Pip - €9.99 (Germany)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Kart 64 (N64) - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Bombing Bastards (Wii U) - €4.99 / £? until January 21
    Cubemen 2 (Wii U) - €3.99 / £? until January 28
    Runbow (Wii U) - €10.49 / £? until January 30
    Unepic (Wii U) - €4.99 / £? until February 11

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Goosebumps: The Game - €24.99 / £19.99
    Project X Zone 2 (demo)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Moco Moco Friends - €36.50 / £26.98
    Radiohammer - €5.48 / £3.98
3DS MENU THEMES (January 22)
    Mario Hanafuda - €1.99 / £1.79
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: Story Theme - €1.99 / £1.79
    Legend of Legacy: The Chibi Adventurers - €1.99 / £1.79
    The Legend of Dark Witch - Al Theme - €0.99 / £0.89
    The Legend of Dark Witch - Klinsy Theme - €0.99 / £0.89
    The Legend of Dark Witch - Papeline Theme - €0.99 / £0.89
    The Legend of Dark Witch - Riva Theme - €0.99 / £0.89
    The Legend of Dark Witch - Sola Theme - €0.99 / £0.89
    The Legend of Dark Witch - Stoj Theme - €0.99 / £0.89
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until January 21

Mario Kart 64 is 50Hz, presumably.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mario Kart 64 is 50Hz, presumably.

Learning from past mistakes is not in Shibata's blood.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Presuming is not knowing. Unless someone knows better, we'll have to wait until Thursday.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know for sure but they usually make a point of saying "This is the US version of the game" when it's 60Hz, which they didn't do this time.

They also have a bad habit of offering "50Hz optimised" versions of games where they exist, even though most of them were bad optimisations and Wii U doesn't correctly display at 50Hz to begin with.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I know the Virtual Console is clearly an afterthought, but I still don't get why they can't just add a hidden advanced menu somewhere where you can swap between the EU and US releases, at least for 1st party titles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's more likely to be because the 50Hz version already has EFIGS translations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The short answer is respective Nintendo Branch sales and licensing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Speaking of EFIGS, it turns out that the recent PAL VC release of Drill Dozer uses a completed but unreleased EFIGS-localised version from back in the day.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's more likely to be because the 50Hz version already has EFIGS translations.

Sure, I get that, but then you'll just have to pick the EU version if you want the additional localizations. I don't see why that should stop the option of picking the US version. Besides, in Mario Kart 64's case, that game was English-only in Europe too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The short answer is respective Nintendo Branch sales and licensing.

I guess? Is Nintendo special in how they handle their international branches? Some (most?) of the Sega ports you can get on PSN/XBLA/Steam allow you to switch between different versions, how come they can do that but Nintendo can't?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nsBoqJ6s8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The short of it is Sega doesnt care because it's all a sale for Sega. Nintendo cares, because it's a sale for Nintendo of Europe/Japan/USA and they each have a degree of autonomy. I think there's also some legal requirements for them to have the five major European languages too. Dunno if its legally mandated or a guideline though.

That game version thing's different though, Nintendo games didnt vary wildly between regions the same way Sega's sometimes did (eg; Sonic CD).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 18, 2016