Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

IOwnCalculus posted:

What if... Vikingskull is Junior?

:psypop:

You know, that is probably the coolest thing about the internet, is that if you are careful enough, you can be world loving famous and still talk to regular folk like us without anyone knowing. You'd get regular chat, honest opinions, and good times with no hassles.

If I win the lottery I'll be re-registering as a nobody. Although I'm sure you'll all figure it out after I post about my Jay Leno sized collection of nothing but Volvos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

LloydDobler posted:

You know, that is probably the coolest thing about the internet, is that if you are careful enough, you can be world loving famous and still talk to regular folk like us without anyone knowing. You'd get regular chat, honest opinions, and good times with no hassles.

If I win the lottery I'll be re-registering as a nobody. Although I'm sure you'll all figure it out after I post about my Jay Leno sized collection of nothing but Volvos.

Realtalk: Years ago in an IRC channel about Doom, i was talking to a guy about music. Turned out this random dude was Dave Mustaine from Megadeth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Realtalk: Years ago in an IRC channel about Doom, i was talking to a guy about music. Turned out this random dude was Dave Mustaine from Megadeth.

Let me guess, you figured it out when he randomly went crazy and spent thirty minutes incoherently cursing about every facet of your life?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

AirRaid posted:

Turned out this random dude was Dave Mustaine from Megadeth.

He was literally my neighbor for a long time.
Trey Azagthoth from Morbid Angel was my Quake 3 Arena rail only clan leader back in the day.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

jamal posted:

Friend of mine did the aero design for Under Suzuki's S14 and they are going for a tsukuba track record this weekend (although I think they already have it). They had some engine issues at wtac and never got to do a fast lap so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Look at this loving thing!

It's even more ridiculous from the back

(that is Andrew Brilliant the aero guy in there)

Got some pictures of the rear diff, axles and control arms? Are they not concerned about the turbulence or are the tunnels just very steep. I was considering two smaller tunnels to the sides of the rear diff with splitting the exhaust for a blown diffuser on each side. I would expect this would also support a very steep diffuser angle. I don't know enough to know if vortex generators would be redundant with the exhaust stream already interrupting the boundary layer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There has been some research that indicates steep (~20 degree) diffuser angles can work, depending on a few things. This is a decent article about it:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-do-motorsport-ground-effect-diffusers-work-willem-toet

I don't think the angles are that steep and it is using tunnels vs a single diffuser, so things are different, but you can see from some of the plots how the tunnels would work.

Depending on how things fit under the car I would probably try to have two expanding "tunnel" sections, with maybe a lower part in the middle depending on how things fit. On something like an older subaru with a fuel cell there would be a pretty good amount of room for tunnels if you wanted to cut up the back of the car.

On under's car the axles and control arms there do go through the tunnels, it looks like the LCA uses flatted out tubing to reduce drag a bit.

And actually there's some inexpensive/free cfd software out there now so I would probably try to test basic models of a few different ideas before I built anything.

Right now I'm working on a fun idea that is a combination of a few different things that got banned from f1 back in the day.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 16, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

He was literally my neighbor for a long time.

That must have been entertaining.

jamal posted:

There has been some research that indicates steep (~20 degree) diffuser angles can work, depending on a few things. This is a decent article about it:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-do-motorsport-ground-effect-diffusers-work-willem-toet

I don't think the angles are that steep and it is using tunnels vs a single diffuser, so things are different, but you can see from some of the plots how the tunnels would work.

Depending on how things fit under the car I would probably try to have two expanding "tunnel" sections, with maybe a lower part in the middle depending on how things fit. On something like an older subaru with a fuel cell there would be a pretty good amount of room for tunnels if you wanted to cut up the back of the car.

On under's car the axles and control arms there do go through the tunnels, it looks like the LCA uses flatted out tubing to reduce drag a bit.

And actually there's some inexpensive/free cfd software out there now so I would probably try to test basic models of a few different ideas before I built anything.

Right now I'm working on a fun idea that is a combination of a few different things that got banned from f1 back in the day.

Do huge fuckoff diffusers like that count as 'ground effect'? Is the downforce generated reduced significantly by going over a big bump/curb and consequently increasing the ground clearance of the car momentarily?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, the diffuser itself is less about directly making downforce and more about increasing the velocity of air under the flat section of underbody just before it. Higher velocity under the car = less pressure = more downforce. The diffuser expands and slows down the air, so the farther back you go, the less pressure difference (and less downforce) to create a smooth transition to the speed and pressure at the back of the car. That's the thing I see a lot of track car/time attack guys miss. "dude check out this diffuser I made! must be making huge downforce" despite doing nothing to the rest of the underbody.

If I had to guess, the tunnels are so huge and there are no really low side skirts in order to allow the underbody to work well for the ride heights and changes in pitch and roll expected during a lap.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anime aero is loving legit.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They had a ground effects revolution in dirt modifieds in 1980 by basically making the car into a huge diffuser. Long story short is a team showed up that used loopholes to make the body a wing, and guys scrambled to modify their cars before the race. The cheater car probably used a stroker motor to win and the ground effects was a smokescreen, but whatever.

The first part of this vid explains what they were going for. The whole race is up there and is pretty cool, here's the highlights version

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 16, 2016

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

jamal posted:

Friend of mine did the aero design for Under Suzuki's S14 and they are going for a tsukuba track record this weekend (although I think they already have it). They had some engine issues at wtac and never got to do a fast lap so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Look at this loving thing!

It's even more ridiculous from the back

(that is Andrew Brilliant the aero guy in there)

I never get tired of this crazy, crazy car :allears:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_PCaKvmgzM

:911:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Wrong thread, friend

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

atomicthumbs posted:

Wrong thread, friend

Wrong opinion, friend

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is a Steve Harvey suit.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Good lord.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

ding ding ding

checking roof height, and he's clearing it through tech while he thinks no one is looking

on a car that is built on a 45 degree angle

What does it mean it's built on a 45 degree angle?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CharlesM posted:

What does it mean it's built on a 45 degree angle?

It was just a snipe at the fact that they have goofy restrictions like height while that generation of NASCAR was very twisted looking due to setup geometry at the time to get the cars to turn.

I used to have a picture from an overhead angle that showed this but I can't find it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

88h88 posted:

Wrong opinion, friend

I don't know what it is, other than "not an NSX", so it just looks like some kind of stanced Acura to me :shrug:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't know what it is, other than "not an NSX", so it just looks like some kind of stanced Acura to me :shrug:

it was 3.5 RL as its known in the states. Huge 4 door sedan with its head cut off and turned into a coupe. I would drive it every single day.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

it was 3.5 RL as its known in the states. Huge 4 door sedan with its head cut off and turned into a coupe. I would drive it every single day.

maybe I just don't get the hellaflush v6 non-vtec convertible conversion, but to each his own. i am sure just as many if not more people don't get crazy volvo 240s

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That sounds brutal!

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Preoptopus posted:

Also, I might be wrong about this, but that's clearly a Japanese car show and I thought the Acura marque wasn't used in the JDM? Aren't they all sold as Hondas over there?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Also, I might be wrong about this, but that's clearly a Japanese car show and I thought the Acura marque wasn't used in the JDM? Aren't they all sold as Hondas over there?

Acura is being reverse-imported into Japan, but it's only as of recently. I assume it is an across-the-pond scenester badging, similar to putting a JDM badge on a show car here.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
USDM is definitely A Thing in Japan

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

It sure is.

You know what they really love? Vans.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

we know all about driving pleasure, so it checks out

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

razorscooter posted:

we know all about driving pleasure, so it checks out

I live in Australia and there used to be a pair of grey import Toyota Cavalier coupes in my city

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

It sure is.

You know what they really love? Vans.

I felt extremely gypped when I went to Shibuya and the first cool aftermarket car I see is a loving copper brown Astro AWD.

You owe me a Mitsuoka Orochi, Japan, and I intend to collect.

I will never understand why this car is growing on me.

Fun fact: the Orochi concept was built on an NSX platform. I have no idea if the production model is.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 18, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you're gonna get one of those go all out for the 7-11 Evangelion edition.

16 Million yen, that's $134,000. Only the finest in weaboo accessories.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Acura is being reverse-imported into Japan, but it's only as of recently. I assume it is an across-the-pond scenester badging, similar to putting a JDM badge on a show car here.

I have seen numerous JDM type R hondas with their red badges replaced by acura ones :negative:

It's like the ricetard version of commodores with chevy badges.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

Visited a friend in Japan a few years ago and came across the USDM crew out for a cruise:

60's lowrider Impala (actually worth showing off)
90's lincoln town car
00's dodge pickup

'96 LHD civic
'96 mustang convertible
Another 90's town car
80s chrysler something... new yorker?

A friend of said friend invited us to check out a Bosozoku meetup a few days later, and I shamefully forgot to charge my camera. :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
So when the USDM crowd buys a beater US car do they swap in a twin turbo Subaru motor instead of an LS1?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tokyo Auto Salon was on over the weekend and there's been some cool poo poo pop up, most of it not really new as such but still...

Toyota S-FR racing concept

This tiny MX-5 and tinier MX-5

And this silly lowered ambulance(?!) with an SR20DET sat in the middle of the chassis.

I want that midsize MX-5.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

88h88 posted:

Tokyo Auto Salon was on over the weekend and there's been some cool poo poo pop up, most of it not really new as such but still...

Toyota S-FR racing concept

SO ANGRY RAAAAGH
I want one in Hulk Green.

Hopefully the grille isnt for show and it actually lets in air.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

8ender posted:

So when the USDM crowd buys a beater US car do they swap in a twin turbo Subaru motor instead of an LS1?

I believe there was a documentary about this about a decade ago.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

SO ANGRY RAAAAGH
I want one in Hulk Green.

Hopefully the grille isnt for show and it actually lets in air.

The vast majority of it is open, yeah.

It looks like an angry little cartoon character to me. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
So what's the deal with the S-FR? They're going to cancel it at the last minute, right? Or it's only going to be available in Japan. Or they're only selling it in diarrhea brown? the production model will be a five-door crossover? engine will be single-cylinder for emission regulations? price starts at 30k for base model? What is the catch?