Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm glad someone's here to poo poo on people's fun like a passive aggressive bitch.

Please let me know of something that has changed for the better since Taiwan traded a bunch of blue mayors for green ones? In Taichung, literally nothing has changed. Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

poo poo! I forgot Moon Slayer doesn't speak any Chinese and thus has a dating pool limited to 西餐妹 and cram school employees. Go ahead and godspeed ruining your working environment when the chick tells you she has a bf already / rejects you / laughs at you / you date and find you have nothing in common / you date for a while and then break up because you cannot relate to her at all because you speak no Chinese / etc. You know the only good ending to a story that starts with dating your co-worker is marriage, right? Are you going to marry her?

You seem super interested in Moon Slayers love life.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
http://www.communitycenter.org.tw

you should check these guys out, pandemonium

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

This is not specific to him. What I wrote applies to every foreigner who decides dating a co-worker is a smart decision.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Unlike my parents and myself at times, Pandemonium hasn't given up on me finding that special someone eventually.

A Good Poster

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
i'm sorry but pandemonium is the most entertaining poster in this thread

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

You know the only good ending to a story that starts with dating your co-worker is marriage, right? Are you going to marry her?
The Taiwan Megathread 2.0: if you like your co-worker so much why don't you marry her

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

this is a stickup posted:

i'm sorry but pandemonium is the most entertaining poster in this thread

This thread can be dead for months at a time, but whenever I see unread posts, I always hope it's something that caused pandemonium to comment. He's that good. Legendary.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pandemonium posted:

poo poo! I forgot Moon Slayer doesn't speak any Chinese and thus has a dating pool limited to 西餐妹 and cram school employees. Go ahead and godspeed ruining your working environment when the chick tells you she has a bf already / rejects you / laughs at you / you date and find you have nothing in common / you date for a while and then break up because you cannot relate to her at all because you speak no Chinese / etc. You know the only good ending to a story that starts with dating your co-worker is marriage, right? Are you going to marry her?

Anyway, my interest right now is in hearing from the Hakka circles about 空心菜, seeing as she is a Hakka and Hakkas are deep blue. I wonder if there is some traitor talk in their communities? Would be interesting to talk to some people on the street if I still lived in 竹北, but alas I don't.

And heaven help some of the posters here who apparently think writing about getting an erection by the tears that are shed by ignorant, foaming-at-the-mouth 台獨 people because of the inevitable failure of these politicians to live up to the hype is meant to be taken seriously. This isn't your retarded Facebook Groups. Lighten up.

lmao did properk move to taiwan?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pandemonium posted:

Anyway, my interest right now is in hearing from the Hakka circles about 空心菜, seeing as she is a Hakka and Hakkas are deep blue. I wonder if there is some traitor talk in their communities? Would be interesting to talk to some people on the street if I still lived in 竹北, but alas I don't.

And heaven help some of the posters here who apparently think writing about getting an erection by the tears that are shed by ignorant, foaming-at-the-mouth 台獨 people because of the inevitable failure of these politicians to live up to the hype is meant to be taken seriously. This isn't your retarded Facebook Groups. Lighten up.

Do you think you're cool because you say stuff like this

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
also, how do i get in one of these "hakka circles"

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
pictured: hakka circles

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

quadrophrenic posted:

pictured: hakka circles

quadrophrenic posted:

also, how do i get in one of these "hakka circles"

Through the front door, duh. Are you some idiot 老外 or something?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
敢媸个人若唔講話,也算有智慧;佢恬恬,也算有聰明。

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wrong renegade island.

愚昧人若靜默不言,也可算為智慧;閉口不說,也可算為聰明。

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ewwwwwwwwww gross

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

TetsuoTW posted:

Wrong renegade island.

愚昧人若靜默不言,也可算為智慧;閉口不說,也可算為聰明。

it's hakka

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

duckfarts posted:

The Taiwan Megathread 2.0: if you like your co-worker so much why don't you marry her

I approve!

And if you approve of dating your (cram) school co-workers, you should feel bad about yourself. (Or else want to marry her.) Sorry. That's a hard and fast rule, and one that any decent school will put into their contract with their foreign teachers. And the guys that do that are basically the worst people I have met in Taiwan. Hands-down. Either big bloobs of alcohol that exude sadness (guy who took over a part-time job of mine back when I taught and proceeded to first date his Chinese co-teacher and then dump her and date the only other foreign teacher) or guys approaching or past 30 still living a frat bro lifestyle just trying to crush any and all puss in their vicinity and clubbing it up with local high schoolers every weekend. Which one is Moon Slayer? Oh, and are there more varieties in Taipei?

Also, I'm pleased to see that no one has defended co-worker dating. But I'm a little troubled that in your silence you are implicitly supporting people like Moon Slayer ruining their work environments. I'm just looking out for the naive little pup.

Thanks for getting the Hakka circle joke, though! You get into those circles by speaking the language. Maybe Mandarin will get you in at this point, but we all know none of you speak it, which means your crews consist of 哈洋 boys and girls (yes, I did just create my own 新詞 as far as I know) and they won't get you into actual local circles where it is all 哈日 and 哈韓 and where you might learn from the Hakka what they think of Mrs. Vegetable. Maybe because she's a southern Hakka she's been tainted by the betel-nut chewing Minnan horde down there? Who knows?!

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Jeoh posted:

lmao did properk move to taiwan?

Who is that? I don't follow forums drama here or anywhere else.

GoutPatrol posted:

Do you think you're cool because you say stuff like this

I mean, not really. But I am not looking for validation from the ESL crew here, so it's all good.

Edit: But I always have a good time here. Love the chats we have!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

And if you approve of dating your (cram) school co-workers, you should feel bad about yourself. (Or else want to marry her.) Sorry. That's a hard and fast rule, and one that any decent school will put into their contract with their foreign teachers. And the guys that do that are basically the worst people I have met in Taiwan. Hands-down. Either big bloobs of alcohol that exude sadness (guy who took over a part-time job of mine back when I taught and proceeded to first date his Chinese co-teacher and then dump her and date the only other foreign teacher) or guys approaching or past 30 still living a frat bro lifestyle just trying to crush any and all puss in their vicinity and clubbing it up with local high schoolers every weekend. Which one is Moon Slayer? Oh, and are there more varieties in Taipei?

"Don't date coworkers" is a pretty universal rule and I think most of us remained silent on agreeing with you because even though this is the Taiwan thread, most of us are largely functioning adults who learned those lessons in high school and college. Hashing out that debate is kind of, well, childish. You're right, dating coworkers is stupid and can turn a working environment toxic. But it's not Taiwan specific so it doesn't really need to be a point of contention in the Taiwan thread. Besides, I don't think any of us care enough to figure out if Moon Slayer was kidding or not and the decisions he makes in his private or professional lives don't have any bearing on us.

I guess you could argue that one more dumb white guy doing dumb white guy poo poo continues to spread stereotypes and hurt the image of white guys in Taiwan, but whatever. I think most of us have largely positive interactions with Taiwanese people so we don't feel there's a pressing need to protect our reputations. And the reality is that until a major global socio-economic shift happens, dumb white guys are going to continue coming to Asia to do dumb white guy poo poo and us warning other white guys on the island not to date coworkers isn't going to have a very noticeable impact on dumb white guy behavior in general.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

I approve!

Also, I'm pleased to see that no one has defended co-worker dating. But I'm a little troubled that in your silence you are implicitly supporting people like Moon Slayer ruining their work environments. I'm just looking out for the naive little pup.

Thanks for getting the Hakka circle joke, though! You get into those circles by speaking the language. Maybe Mandarin will get you in at this point, but we all know none of you speak it, which means your crews consist of 哈洋 boys and girls (yes, I did just create my own 新詞 as far as I know) and they won't get you into actual local circles where it is all 哈日 and 哈韓 and where you might learn from the Hakka what they think of Mrs. Vegetable. Maybe because she's a southern Hakka she's been tainted by the betel-nut chewing Minnan horde down there? Who knows?!

You sound stressed. Have you thought about unwinding sometime, maybe cracking open a beer or ten?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'd recommend a year in Thailand. That ought to set him straight.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Don't date coworkers" is a pretty universal rule and I think most of us remained silent on agreeing with you because even though this is the Taiwan thread, most of us are largely functioning adults who learned those lessons in high school and college. Hashing out that debate is kind of, well, childish. You're right, dating coworkers is stupid and can turn a working environment toxic. But it's not Taiwan specific so it doesn't really need to be a point of contention in the Taiwan thread. Besides, I don't think any of us care enough to figure out if Moon Slayer was kidding or not and the decisions he makes in his private or professional lives don't have any bearing on us.

I guess you could argue that one more dumb white guy doing dumb white guy poo poo continues to spread stereotypes and hurt the image of white guys in Taiwan, but whatever. I think most of us have largely positive interactions with Taiwanese people so we don't feel there's a pressing need to protect our reputations. And the reality is that until a major global socio-economic shift happens, dumb white guys are going to continue coming to Asia to do dumb white guy poo poo and us warning other white guys on the island not to date coworkers isn't going to have a very noticeable impact on dumb white guy behavior in general.

I agree.

My posts were meant to be more direct and situational and less meta than what you posted. You know, like how about not ruining your working environment rather than do things that ensure the persistence of foreigners' and specifically white guys' negative reputations here.

Anyway, back on topic: I'd like someone to tell me what has been accomplished in Taiwan since they got brand new shiny green governors/mayors in most of the counties and cities a few years back. No one has tried to tango with that topic, much to my sadness. If there is something that has changed, I'd love to know. I don't hate DPP or anything, but I haven't seen them do anything of note so far at the local level, and I don't see them changing things for the better at the national level, either.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

You sound stressed. Have you thought about unwinding sometime, maybe cracking open a beer or ten?

I only drink Kavalan :cheers:.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

My bad, it read like Cantonese to me.

Pandemonium posted:

I approve!

You sure like making assumptions about people.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Pandemonium posted:

Thanks for getting the Hakka circle joke, though! You get into those circles by speaking the language.

is that it huh

there's not like form I gotta fill out or anything

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

TetsuoTW posted:

My bad, it read like Cantonese to me.

My Cantonese is poo poo but it reads pretty much the same. vOv

I took a full semester of the proverbs, which seems useless at the time, but "Hakka circles" really talk like that. duckfarts is right, it really is gross.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Pandemonium posted:

Maybe Mandarin will get you in at this point, but we all know none of you speak it, which means your crews consist of 哈洋 boys and girls (yes, I did just create my own 新詞 as far as I know)

also lol you're such a loving dork

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

is that it huh

there's not like form I gotta fill out or anything

wait, you mean you didn't

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

your crews consist of 哈洋 boys and girls (yes, I did just create my own 新詞 as far as I know)
Then you don't know especially far.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

quadrophrenic posted:

also lol you're such a loving dork

Because I am comfortable enough with Mandarin to make neologisms? That's not very nice, bro. They already have 哈s for Korea and Japan; it's not a big stretch to make a western 哈 (assuming you know what 哈 means in this context; sorry if you don't).

If you ask nicely, I'll tell you the one my aboriginal friend and I came up with a few years ago to replace 西餐妹 (assuming you know what that means) that sounds a lot like a famous American sports team.

And it's good to see some posters still refusing to touch the "dating a co-worker" gestalt and going for low effort poo poo posts. Anyway, if Moon Slayer was joking, I think he would have said as much, to distance himself from the creepos who do sit at their teaching jobs and daydream about their co-workers, y'know? Or else he just wouldn't have posted it in the first place. And I'll stop derailing this productive thread further. Sorry about that!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

哈洋 has been a term for longer than you've been able to find Taiwan on a map, FYI.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Then you don't know especially far.

Are you saying Taiwanese use 哈洋 the same way they use 哈日 and 哈韓?

Did a quick Google, and it seems like a bunch of butthurt Taiwanese twinks do use it online to pretty much only refer to 西餐妹. I meant it in the more general sense of culture in general and not just white dick. None of the people I chat with in real life use it or know what I am referring to at first when I use it, and I don't make it a point to research what angry Taiwanese young men write online (which you apparently do; are you cruising around PTT to stay informed or something?), so apologies for that! I'll have to do better to stay informed of what the cool kids are bitching and moaning about online instead of play video games or watch more Fargo (drat, that show is good!)

P.S. This also could be a geocultural thing, seeing as I live outside the 天龍國.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I think it's cool and good to not learn any language beyond English when it comes to living in Taiwan. I wonder if anyone disagrees with me.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I apologize to the thread for summoning Pandemonium with my joke about asking my coworker out.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I apologize to the thread for summoning Pandemonium with my joke about asking my coworker out.

Well, that clears that up! Perhaps a bit more sarcasm in the OP would have helped. Or, you know, a follow-up post telling me to not read too far into your posts. Poe's Law is everywhere and legion and I am going to assume a goon who says they think their co-worker is cool and is thinking about asking her out is being serious and not facetious. You gotta remember where you are posting. Now, taking it back so long after the fact, that comes across as a bit... mealy-mouthed (where did I hear that description before?). People implicitly defending you was pretty funny, though.

Edit: Totally misread a post.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 19, 2016

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
So when are you gonna come hang out with the Taipei goons pandemonium

We were thinking of going bowling some time soon, want us to let you know when?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This is a funny word and I'm surprised that it seems to be pretty much unused in the mainland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
hahaha i bet moon slayer doesn't even know the secret handshake either hahahahaha know what i mean other people who know the secret handshake lol