Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Who What Now posted:

I'm sorry you don't like good things.

There is nothing good about youtube poops. They are actual poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Isaiah Brofist posted:

Hey, I did a mostly ska(?) cover of Steven/Peridot's song Peace and Love from It Could've Been Great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRnZsFqxxeg since hiatuses are for copious amounts of lore/narrative/character discussion/speculation as well as fan art.

This is better than any random youtube cover link in a thread about a cartoon show has a right to be. Really good job. I love the song variations near the end, too.

e: also it randomly took me to this sax version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv0Qn0YabpM afterward which is also good so I'm linking it. Rebecca Sugar has a hell of an ear. Or if it wasn't her, then Aivi and Surasshu or Jeff Liu or anyone involved with the music on this show, they're all fuckin great.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 18, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i'm so sad that ska is dead. i missed out on ska.

ska is the best

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DoctorWhat posted:

i'm so sad that ska is dead. i missed out on ska.

ska is the best
Fourth-wave Ska, let's make it happen

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The deadness attribute of ska would be much lower if it didn't all sound the same. (please don't take this to mean that I don't like ska)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What the gently caress is ska?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
music, sorta

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Who What Now posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F03gEzdLa2g

(ska owns)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Who What Now posted:

The 90's compressed into an audio format.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Who What Now posted:

Think stoned suburban white skaters in the late 90s who found some early Lee 'Scratch' Perry records and decided that the thing pop punk really needed was a brass section.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Think stoned suburban white skaters in the late 90s who found some early Lee 'Scratch' Perry records and decided that the thing pop punk really needed was a brass section.

Eh it's more like Americans ripping off English Ska bands that were in turn influenced by Jamaican bands. So 3rd wave Ska is a weird mutation off reggae by way of England mixed with pop punk.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Who What Now posted:

The best description I've heard of ska is that its what plays in a fat kid's head when they get good news.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Funky Valentine posted:

and they were absolutely loving right, brass makes everything better

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

DoctorWhat posted:

This man knows what's up. Listen to this man.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Someone made a really cool terrarium

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Really impressive, especially since it was their first time sculpting apparently.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I've fallen down the rabbit hole of remixes/covers since that ska piece. Here's a decent metal medley of many of the S1 songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wd9WxS5_nc

00:00 Intro
00:45 We Are The Crystal Gems
01:17 Pearl's Theme
01:50 Let Me Drive My Van Into Your Heart
03:16 Drop The Strawberry
03:57 Alone Together
04:48 Strong In The Real Way
06:30 Opal
07:30 Sugilite
08:17 I Am Lapis Lazuli
09:06 Stronger Than You
10:40 The Ocean Returns
11:03 Love Like You

and an 80s metal take on Steven's Lapis Lazuli song, with some lyrics added. Nothing spectacular but enjoyable enough, better than I had thought, and the visuals that go with it are well edited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZRgeGznQM

Isaiah Brofist
Jan 1, 2011
I wish I knew what ska is but, like many others, I just don't listen to the stuff! I don't know too much about the fan music 'community'/scene for this show since I haven't been into that kind of thing for a minute, but thanks for the props! The sound of the show, harmonically, that comes from Rebecca's side is cool: like an adaptation of that Japanese jazzy kind of sound except it's kind of just pop with chord extensions. I couldn't imagine a better duo than A&S to develop that, and what they contribute to the show aesthetically is really key IMO.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

DoctorWhat posted:

:yeah:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

C. E. Croix posted:

The best description I've heard of ska is that its what plays in a fat kid's head when they get good news.

So Guy Fieri?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Glasgow Kiss posted:

So Guy Fieri?

Well, Guy does look like the Smash Mouth frontman.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Oh what a higher budget and character development does for a show...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Maybe this is why they haven't shown many Season 1 episodes

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
yeah I was watching some of the early Season 1 episodes and you get some real unintentionally weird proportions on some of the characters, especially Pearl. That is far from the only frame where she has a hilariously tiny face/giant chin

I think the writing holds up a lot better than people give them credit for, and the action scenes are pretty well-animated (and a bit more frequent than they have been in season 2), but the character models definitely took some time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I really was not sold on the new designs (vs. the pilot) when the show premiered, but I think that with time they refined it beautifully.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Really, I actually never really liked the pilot designs. I think it's because I never really spent a lot of time with them, but I remember when the first promo art came out, it looked like a weird Scott Pilgrim thing about some fat schlub becoming a magic hero.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You say that like it isn't

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

To be fair though, that episode just looked exceptionally good. The faces were super on point. During that part where everyone was looking angrily at Peridot, I noticed how good Amethyst's face looked.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Garnet and Amethyst's pilot designs are fine, but Pearl's is awful, and Steven's was kinda weird

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Really, I actually never really liked the pilot designs. I think it's because I never really spent a lot of time with them, but I remember when the first promo art came out, it looked like a weird Scott Pilgrim thing about some fat schlub becoming a magic hero.

I never liked the old Pearl's design, but I didn't like pre-rematerialized Pearl in the show proper either. Aesthetically, that is. I think Amethyst is basically equal, and I like Garnet's old design better than the pilot, the new one not as much. Still haven't "felt" the new Garnet look. Amethyst is about the same?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You say that like it isn't

Well, he looked like a guy in his 20s rather than a kid.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

drrockso20 posted:

Garnet and Amethyst's pilot designs are fine, but Pearl's is awful, and Steven's was kinda weird

I like pilot Pearl's hair a whole lot but that outfit is a goddamn mess

There was actually a pre(?) pilot concept where she had a really cool undercut kinda thing

on the left here:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every time I see concept/pilot art of Pearl from before the show, I immediately hear that high-pitched "UH" sound that Prince makes.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Season 1 had some pretty amazing background art. There really haven't been any environments in season 2 as awe-inspiring as the Heaven Beetle's castle, the Lunar Sea Spire, the Strawberry Battlefield, etc. (although the derelict UFO they fought Peridot in was pretty great).

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Funky Valentine posted:

Every time I see concept/pilot art of Pearl from before the show, I immediately hear that high-pitched "UH" sound that Prince makes.

Pilot Garnet weirdly reminds me of rick james.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Pilot Garnet weirdly reminds me of rick james.

Greg Universe's True Gem Stories:

"So then he comes in there and I say 'Look bitch, I'm Garnet', and I smacked him."

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

abraham linksys posted:

I like pilot Pearl's hair a whole lot but that outfit is a goddamn mess

There was actually a pre(?) pilot concept where she had a really cool undercut kinda thing

on the left here:

I wonder what Peridot, Lapis, and Jasper would have looked like in the pilot/concept art :v:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The weirdest thing about watching old episodes is Steven's voice. He was annoying. Kind of grating. But then they figured out his character and now everything is good.

He used to act more like a 6 year old, I think that was what was so annoying. Now he acts older and is an actual relatable human.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Funky Valentine posted:

they're right, by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Greg Universe's True Gem Stories:

"So then he comes in there and I say 'Look bitch, I'm Garnet', and I smacked him."

gently caress YO VAN N****, gently caress YO VAN

• Locked thread