Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
WvW is awesome and you should do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

How the mighty have fallen. T3 will be remembered with fondness.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I need to get some WvW in for my spoon collection, eventually.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

WvW is awesome and you should do it

Are there any good guides to what's going on in wvw? I'll totally follow what the commander says when I'm in a group, but I like understanding why they make the calls they make,and I've never had any goddamned clue what was going on in wvw. I get that keeps get you lots of points, but one outposts and random supply dolyaks and stuff, I've got no idea what the point of them is.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Magres posted:

Are there any good guides to what's going on in wvw? I'll totally follow what the commander says when I'm in a group, but I like understanding why they make the calls they make,and I've never had any goddamned clue what was going on in wvw. I get that keeps get you lots of points, but one outposts and random supply dolyaks and stuff, I've got no idea what the point of them is.

you're wanting to learn two different things here. one of them is the mechanics of WvW itself (how to get points, the function of different camps and supply, etc). the other is commander strategy

but if you don't care about being a commander or coordinating server efforts, you honestly don't need to know anything more than how to take orders from a good commander. go follow Cletus or whoever, fire up your voice chat, and laugh at pubbies/yourselves

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Magres posted:

What the other guy said, but I'm happy to teach you the mechanics of WvW and bring you around with me, grab me anytime. Anyone else in SFD would do the same!!

e:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The point of WvW is to listen to Cletus tell GW2 lore jokes he wrote a couple years ago. Then fall off a cliff and die.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I did it goons

I found peak pubbie

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Schpyder posted:

I did it goons

I found peak pubbie

I'm the pinku thief :3:

Also with post processing on full, that outfit hurt my eyes so much.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Schpyder posted:

I did it goons

I found peak pubbie

Is that Gos' latest makeover?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh ok, i see how it is!!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
My character has a new dye job I think looks better than that

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
I just finished the main game storyline for the first time, and holy poo poo those end quests are awful. Then I started the expansion only to find that they started making it so you can't skip the terribly written dialogue! WONDERFUL!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I bought Living Story Season 2 because as much as I hated playing through the end of the main story (which I only finished last month) the story was interesting enough to make me curious about the linking narrative to HoT. I make poor decisions. Season 2 was an immensely demoralizing experience and a number of the fights were among the most tedious experiences I've had in years. But I'm done and will never play through it again, so that's nice. Plus I had such a bad time running it on my Mesmer that it inspired me to play my Necro more which has been immensely rewarding, so there's that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Funny story, that's probably because the story team wrote all the core personal stuff rather than the, you know, actual writing team.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 18, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Schpyder posted:

I did it goons

I found peak pubbie

Close, but no Twilight.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Overall story is great, dialogue is not. Anet has a habit of telling too much as opposed to just showing. It's the same reason why the raid lore is good, it's completely subtle in the way it's presented.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

Lyer posted:

Overall story is great, dialogue is not. Anet has a habit of telling too much as opposed to just showing. It's the same reason why the raid lore is good, it's completely subtle in the way it's presented.

The main story also has the big issue of being almost 100% centered on Mary Sue characters once you get out of the early levels, and those characters end up being totally useless when you're actually doing missions for/with them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zelmel posted:

The main story also has the big issue of being almost 100% centered on Mary Sue characters once you get out of the early levels, and those characters end up being totally useless when you're actually doing missions for/with them.

Always had a good chuckle over Logan and Zoija being torn to shreds by the dogs in Caudecus. :allears:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've played through CM story and did some grinding for armor there but I don't remember that happening at all.

Which goes to show how memorable the writing is, I guess. I find reading gw2wiki summaries of events to be more engaging and enjoyable than paying attention to them in game.

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

Zelmel posted:

That's why Canach is such a breath of fresh air, not only is he one of the few interesting characters, he actually revives you when you're downed :psyduck:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I haven't been following GW2 news since about when they announced the hilarious initial price structure of HoT and backpedaled with the free pre-order character slot. So, sup nerds, I have a computer that can play this game again (sort of lol). I've been scanning the thread and I'm bummed out that they nerfed dungeon rewards, it was always fun to play those with goons and relaxing. Are there any reliable ways to get the expansion on sale? It seems like a lot of the interesting stuff in the game right now is locked behind it, but I'm a cheapskate :v:

e: i see some french site i've never heard of has it for like $37 but idk who they are and that's not a huge discount

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 18, 2016

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Hurp Durp Master posted:

That's why Canach is such a breath of fresh air, not only is he one of the few interesting characters, he actually revives you when you're downed :psyduck:

There's a few NPCs that will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EUIIkwP2eU

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Cletus and I have finally fused into one ball

e:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 18, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Everyone else in your "team" feels like a cardboard cutout compared to Canach. The whole "team" aspect is probably my biggest peeve of the storyline right now, since I can't stand most of these characters.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
The living story is so boring and unfun that I stopped playing at a step involving Rox's footsteps or something and never went back to it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Living Story 2 is their best work though.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I still haven't finished the last fight because I never saw patch notes that said "We fixed all the dumb broken poo poo in the last fight that wastes your time"

Did I miss it?

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

So for HoT am I missing out on much if I just play the story enough to unlock Mastery then never touch the story again?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Zelmel posted:

So for HoT am I missing out on much if I just play the story enough to unlock Mastery then never touch the story again?

its a good idea to just beat the story once so you can say YEP DONE NEVER TOUCHING THAT AGAIN

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

Zelmel posted:

Off the top of my head you get a sizable chunk of ascended materials that go towards crafting HoT legendaries, 1 auric weapon skin, 1 chak weapon skin and a box of viper gear ( you get to choose from 3 but always choose the viper box ). If you complete all of the achievements you get some decent ascended valkyrie (berserker lite) gear.

So yeah its worth doing if you ever plan to craft one of the 2nd generation legendaries, including unannounced ones. I ended up doing it on 5 alts, got it down to about 1.5 hours to fully complete the story on each one. Auric skins are pretty awesome and I suppose the chak weapons are too if you like that sort of thing. Its disappointing that we only got two weapon sets that aren't behind a gem wall and are actually earnt through gameplay, but there it is.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
HoT story is good and fun. There's a ton of original stuff and it will unlock a solid portion of the new zones if you haven't gotten there yet.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Bought a bee. Clearly worth 600g.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Off the top of my head you get a sizable chunk of ascended materials that go towards crafting HoT legendaries, 1 auric weapon skin, 1 chak weapon skin and a box of viper gear ( you get to choose from 3 but always choose the viper box ). If you complete all of the achievements you get some decent ascended valkyrie (berserker lite) gear.
You also get some of each zone currency/keys, a free piece of Leystone armor for completing the story, and the last two story missions give you about 40 crystalline ore between them.

quote:

Its disappointing that we only got two weapon sets that aren't behind a gem wall and are actually earnt through gameplay, but there it is.
Reclaimed, Plated, Machined, Auric, Chak, Shimmering/Tenebrous, that's a lot more than two.

Now the lack of new armor, that's just shameful.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
There are also the collection weapons, most of which are great and are entirely earned through normal gameplay in the new zones and cool excursions into Tyria for the collection items.

I feel like the armor is a weak spot though. It's not that the sets are bad so much as it is that they're thrown in as extras. I still only have a few Bladed pieces and I've done T4 VB a ton. You kind of need to know that they're there and go after them. Same thing as some of the other collections like the back pieces.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 18, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Azazell0 posted:

Everyone else in your "team" feels like a cardboard cutout compared to Canach. The whole "team" aspect is probably my biggest peeve of the storyline right now, since I can't stand most of these characters.

Eh, honestly the new team has gotten better since LS1. And not just from canach's inclusion, though he is really easily the best.

Brahm has changed significantly due to character growth during HoT. While some people might see it as negative character growth, it's obvious that anet isn't done with him yet. That's actually a good thing considering he is full of rage and anger due to his mother's death, and he'll probably end up getting himself/someone hurt or finally chilling down ect. We'll just have to wait and see how anet handles that. If it is anything as hilarious as marjory and her sister than I'm all for it.

Taimi was always a bit of a hit or miss between goons as far as I can tell. She is a literal teenager, and absolutely acts like it. Some people find her annoying or a pain in their rear end as she acts like she knows everything and is full of herself. That's kinda how teenagers are, so honestly I find her to be a well portrayed character, annoying or not.

Rox, I dunno. She was ok enough to begin with, and I didn't see much of her during my playthrough of HoT.

Kasmeer is annoying as gently caress. Her chronic hiccuping is meant to be charming, it isn't. She is supposed to be all innocent and charming, but the LS team isn't good so she comes off really annoying. Her relationship with marjory is fine and all but for the longest time it was just loving thrusted into your face ALL the drat time. Like, guys you don't have to be so aggressive in telling your players that you have a gay couple holy poo poo.

Marjory started out as a corny detective, became even more of a joke and has the major disadvantage of being paired with kasmeer. The whole lovey dovey thing has been less in your face during HoT which is great. She's still a bit corny though, and I'm not too fond of her.

TLDR it appears to be improving.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Please don't insult Taimi.

I'll only ask you once.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

ItBurns posted:

HoT story is good and fun

Wrong, it's boring rear end poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
If it weren't for Taimi I never would have made it through the living story / expansion story.

• Locked thread