Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just upgraded my Moto G3 to Marshmallow and tried doing the "use SD card as internal storage" thing. Every time I try to do it one of two things happens: the formatting process times out at 30% or it "successfully" formats, but the card becomes listed as corrupted and is unusable. Anyone have any success with this?

This is the card I'm using. I had a lot of issues trying to set it up for external storage too, so maybe it's just a bum card. What a nuisance :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Does anyone else have charging port issues on basically any phone using microUSB? I had this same issue on my old phone, SGS3, and now I have it on my Nexus 6. Basically it just stops working out of nowhere. Idk what to do bc I'm out of warranty but if I wanna pay off my phone and get a new one it's like $250+ (plus whatever the cost of the new phone is). Right now I'm using a wireless charger but it's not the same. I miss my quick charge.

Yes, I've had issues with every micro-USB phone I've ever owned. Sometimes it's just the cable going bad, sometimes as another user said it's because lint or whatever got in the port, but I managed to kill the USB ports on my past two phones after about 2 years.

I really can't wait for USB-C to become standard so we can all put the micro-usb days behind us.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Wow, that's disingenuous. I've worked delivery and gotten fine service with them, currently they have great wireless unless you're in a single cul-de-sac in Graham that's an inexplicable hole. I've seen Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T phones lose connection entirely there.

I was more busting the balls of people who were like "it works great for me in *insert metro area here". I travel all over the country frequently enough where I could not use t mobile.

Didn't mean to start a carrier derail

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yes, I've had issues with every micro-USB phone I've ever owned. Sometimes it's just the cable going bad, sometimes as another user said it's because lint or whatever got in the port, but I managed to kill the USB ports on my past two phones after about 2 years.

I really can't wait for USB-C to become standard so we can all put the micro-usb days behind us.

I've never broken a USB port but then I only plug something into it twice a year.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Mak0rz posted:

I just upgraded my Moto G3 to Marshmallow and tried doing the "use SD card as internal storage" thing. Every time I try to do it one of two things happens: the formatting process times out at 30% or it "successfully" formats, but the card becomes listed as corrupted and is unusable. Anyone have any success with this?

This is the card I'm using. I had a lot of issues trying to set it up for external storage too, so maybe it's just a bum card. What a nuisance :(

Note a bunch of the reviews saying it's a fake card.

Always buy SD cards from a reputable source, not third party sellers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

Inspect Your Gadgets › The Android Thread - talking about phones not allowed

There's multiple threads dedicated to discussing carriers.

I mean, its fine for a post or two to digress into talking about a carrier with no relation to Android phones, but on and on about it doesn't make sense.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I sold my N5 to my mom, and she commented the port took a firm push to actually get it connect.
No poo poo, its been plugged in about 5 times in 2 years.

Thermopyle posted:

There's multiple threads dedicated to discussing carriers.

I mean, its fine for a post or two to digress into talking about a carrier with no relation to Android phones, but on and on about it doesn't make sense.
Is there a general carrier chat thread, though?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Start one if there isn't? Because I just tune out when american carrier chat starts in here.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Start one if there isn't? Because I just tune out when american carrier chat starts in here.

I think this would be a good idea. American Carrier Chat.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Red Warrior posted:

Wonderful :suicide:. Oh well, I only spent $15 on it at least.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

CLAM DOWN posted:

Seconding that. American carrier madness is the worst.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Red Warrior posted:

I bought the same card just recently and mine was totally fine, shipped and sold by Amazon.

According to some of the reviews, it seems a tossup whether you get a real one or a Chinese one. I'd return yours and try again.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

I bought the same card just recently and mine was totally fine, shipped and sold by Amazon.

According to some of the reviews, it seems a tossup whether you get a real one or a Chinese one. I'd return yours and try again.

Not to go off-topic too much but how loving infuriating is it that you can order from Amazon and be sure you aren't getting non-functional counterfeit products? The days there is no such thing as a "too good to be true" price, the Tivoli Model 2 with CD player that I paid $40 at Target in my kitchen is living testament to this, you should be able to order an SD card off Amazon and not worry that it is a fraud.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

I've never broken a USB port but then I only plug something into it twice a year.

ilkhan posted:

I sold my N5 to my mom, and she commented the port took a firm push to actually get it connect.
No poo poo, its been plugged in about 5 times in 2 years.

Is there a general carrier chat thread, though?

None of the Android phones I've owned have supported wireless charging. I went from a Gnex to an S3 to an M8. I haven't had any trouble with the m8's port so far, but I have managed to kill 2 micro USB cables since I got it about a year and a half ago.

Also I've given up all hope of the AT&T m8s ever receiving marshmallow :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Three Olives posted:

Not to go off-topic too much but how loving infuriating is it that you can order from Amazon and be sure you aren't getting non-functional counterfeit products? The days there is no such thing as a "too good to be true" price, the Tivoli Model 2 with CD player that I paid $40 at Target in my kitchen is living testament to this, you should be able to order an SD card off Amazon and not worry that it is a fraud.

Judging by the link, he bought it from some random 3rd party vendor and not Amazon itself. So there you go. For things like this, always buy directly from Amazon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you do get knockoff garbage from a third party seller, Amazon will go out of their way to make it right. They are very serious about their sellers not loving around.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
In Germany they did a test with replacement batteries for phones and laptops. They bought 12 batteries from 3rd party sellers via amazon. 12 out of 12 were fake :haw:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is no fingerprint sensor actually a dealbreaker for some of you?

I just have to go back to this for a second, yes, absolutely 100%, a good fingerprint sensor will be one of the primary factors in buying a phone from now on.

It's one of those things that doesn't seem like a big deal but it becomes such a part of your daily, gently caress, hourly life that you never, ever want to go back to swiping or entering a PIN. I know some people are swearing by the Nexus implementation but I am in love with the Apple/Samsung one, press the button and your phone is on and unlocked, it's so quick and natural that it's like having an unlocked phone all the time but completely secure, I don't even use Smart Unlock in my own home.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

People who have had trusted devices have had this setup for a long long time now.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, I don't mind not having a fingerprint sensor at all as a past Iphone 6 owner. Trusted places helps.

It does help to have both thumbs and multiple takes in the profiles though including some "wet" ones for when your thumb is ganked up with boogers/cheeto crud.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

bull3964 posted:

People who have had trusted devices have had this setup for a long long time now.

When I pair my phone to my trusty Bluetooth headset it's actually slower to unlock, as I hold my thumb on the sensor for a second before realizing I just need to swipe the screen.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Three Olives posted:

I know some people are swearing by the Nexus implementation but I am in love with the Apple/Samsung one, press the button and your phone is on and unlocked, it's so quick and natural that it's like having an unlocked phone all the time but completely secure, I don't even use Smart Unlock in my own home.

How do you think the Nexus implementation works?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

dissss posted:

How do you think the Nexus implementation works?

I probably assumed wrongly that it wasn't listening for a fingerprint all the time and required an extra step for wake that didn't involve pressing the same button.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Daily Forecast posted:

I'd return yours and try again.

The card is a few months old now and I lost the packaging. Any chance of that working now?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you do get knockoff garbage from a third party seller, Amazon will go out of their way to make it right. They are very serious about their sellers not loving around.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can report them.

For the record, people on that review page are complaining about incorrect capacity reports and whatnot. Mine didn't have any red flag issues aside from trouble getting it to format error-free (which I eventually managed after a while). I double checked the packaging, serial number, all that poo poo against the product page on Samsung and it seemed to check out.

I guess counterfeit electronics aren't as easy to detect as they used to be :shrug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I just have to go back to this for a second, yes, absolutely 100%, a good fingerprint sensor will be one of the primary factors in buying a phone from now on.

It's one of those things that doesn't seem like a big deal but it becomes such a part of your daily, gently caress, hourly life that you never, ever want to go back to swiping or entering a PIN. I know some people are swearing by the Nexus implementation but I am in love with the Apple/Samsung one, press the button and your phone is on and unlocked, it's so quick and natural that it's like having an unlocked phone all the time but completely secure, I don't even use Smart Unlock in my own home.

Okay, thanks for your perspective. I guess because I use smart unlock tied to my Pebble, as long as my phone is in my hand or pocket I never have to type the password, it's pretty nice. I can understand your view though.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mak0rz posted:

The card is a few months old now and I lost the packaging. Any chance of that working now?

Yeah, like you said, bitch about it on/to Amazon, it's not unlikely they'd send you another to make you go away.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Three Olives posted:

Nexus does on/unlocked too.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

I probably assumed wrongly that it wasn't listening for a fingerprint all the time and required an extra step for wake that didn't involve pressing the same button.
It will wake and unlock the phone with one touch and because it's where your finger lands as you lift it out of your pocket by the time you can see the phone it is unlocked.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there anything special I have to do to get the Tap 10 offer to show up? I'm in the US and have used Android Pay before.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

hooah posted:

Is there anything special I have to do to get the Tap 10 offer to show up? I'm in the US and have used Android Pay before.

No loving clue. My only hope is that it's some kind of soft rollout which would explain the lack of an official announcement and most of the comments sections full of people that don't have it.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Just got my first android phone, a 5x, and with little else to try I opened the youtube app. The whole home screen is an ad for the new toyota truck/ute. So I open chrome, go to youtube and it auto opens the youtube app. I thought I was free of this bullshit when I got rid of the iphone...

Is there a way to block ads in google apps and/or a way to force chrome to use WWW youtube?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Google Music/YouTube Red removes ads. Or you can root and use AdAway. I don't know why you thought switching to Android would get you less ads when it's a huge part of Google's business and in their best interest to not let you easily block them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ugh, when is YouTube Red coming to Canada, I pay for all access already and I hate YouTube ads

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Nill posted:

No loving clue. My only hope is that it's some kind of soft rollout which would explain the lack of an official announcement and most of the comments sections full of people that don't have it.

Yeah, that appears to be the case.

Something I found out today (though haven't confirmed with an actual purchase on it), if you are willing to jump through hoops to use Android Pay but your bank does not yet support it, if you have one of those Google Wallet Debit Cards that they introduced a couple years ago, it's Android-Pay compatible, and you can shuffle money onto it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So just moved up to a Nexus 5x. Is there a micro usb (female) to usb C adaptor? I've tried searching some, but nothing has come up yet. Its all just usb a to usb c, or usb c to usb c.

Also, anyone looking for a new in box droid turbo 2, pm at yo' boy.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Daily Forecast posted:

Not T-Mobile's fault you guys live in the wrong place. :(

Here in Cleveland I get full bars all over the burbs and 30-40mb speeds so add me to the 'lol if ur not down with TMO' crew

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Qmass posted:

Just got my first android phone, a 5x, and with little else to try I opened the youtube app. The whole home screen is an ad for the new toyota truck/ute. So I open chrome, go to youtube and it auto opens the youtube app. I thought I was free of this bullshit when I got rid of the iphone...

Is there a way to block ads in google apps and/or a way to force chrome to use WWW youtube?

Whatever made you think using an app for a service from an ad company on an OS designed by an ad company on a phone designed by an ad company would free you from seeing ads?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

So just moved up to a Nexus 5x. Is there a micro usb (female) to usb C adaptor? I've tried searching some, but nothing has come up yet. Its all just usb a to usb c, or usb c to usb c.

Usb-c male or female? It's specifically against usb-c cable and adapter spec to have female usb-c ports.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

deong posted:

Also, anyone looking for a new in box droid turbo 2, pm at yo' boy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B018MQE2BQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=27SRC76JFFOVX&coliid=I5CAP0EH6DLBO&psc=1

These have been tested to be in compliance by Benson, the Google engineer who has been testing A to C cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Have a relative that needs a simple LTE phone for Verizon. I'm looking at a used Galaxy S5 since I can swap the battery out for a non-trashed one. Anyone know if there are current issues with that phone on Lollipop? Last time I looked at that phone people on the s5 subreddit were complaining a bunch about laggy performance and crap battery life after the update