Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
The sensor on my 6p has been pretty inconsistent regardless of whether I set 1 or 5 profiles for the same finger so I stopped using it. It works for a while after setting it up but inevitably stops after a day or so. Maybe it's having a hard time distinguishing between cheeto dust and dorito dust I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

sirbeefalot posted:

Is a Moto G still a good choice for a very low budget, fairly functional device for someone that uses a minimum of non-stock apps?

Need to replace a bad-power-button N5 for my boss for as little as reasonably possible. Needs to work on Sprint.

The new Blu Life One X is the new king of the budget phone as far as anyone can tell, but I'm not sure if it works on sprint.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I didn't see this mentioned in the last couple pages, but it looks like if you use Google Pay ten times between now and Feb 29th, you get a free Chromecast.
http://gizmodo.com/google-hopes-free-goodies-will-persuade-you-to-use-andr-1753213993

I opened my Android Pay app after seeing this and the Android Pay 'Tap 10' Rewards thing appeared.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If your Note 5 fingerprint sensor doesn't work all the time, add an extra 'fingerprint' or 3 and just use the same finger at different angles. I use four profiles all for one thumb and I can't remember the last time I got a failed message.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

sbaldrick posted:

The new Blu Life One X is the new king of the budget phone as far as anyone can tell, but I'm not sure if it works on sprint.

I don't think it would work on Sprint or Verizon, its GSM only I believe

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Godinster posted:

If your Note 5 fingerprint sensor doesn't work all the time, add an extra 'fingerprint' or 3 and just use the same finger at different angles. I use four profiles all for one thumb and I can't remember the last time I got a failed message.

I just did different angles when it has you pick up and put your finger down over and over. I programmed in 4 fingers, each at a bunch of different angles, and all seem to to work really reliably.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Godinster posted:

Yeah, if your fingerprint sensor isn't incredibly reliable you probably just need to retrain it. I don't think Samsung has the best training system, they should be more clear on the best way to register your fingerprints with the smaller sensor but once you get it right it should work incredibly reliably. It took me a few tries, I have no advice, I just kept trying moving my finger at different angles and different spots on the sensor.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I didn't see this mentioned in the last couple pages, but it looks like if you use Google Pay ten times between now and Feb 29th, you get a free Chromecast.
http://gizmodo.com/google-hopes-free-goodies-will-persuade-you-to-use-andr-1753213993

I opened my Android Pay app after seeing this and the Android Pay 'Tap 10' Rewards thing appeared.

It's only offering me a free song on first, fifth, and tenth tap :(

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

sbaldrick posted:

It doesn't work on CDMA carriers but this does beg the question why does cdma even loving exist any more

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm likely returning my Life One X and so is a friend of mine. I've had deadzones on the screen happen with alarming regularity, the phone has froze several times while opening text messages through Textra and Fleksy. It's a nice phone while it works but I dunno how usual these issues are for people.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's only offering me a free song on first, fifth, and tenth tap :(
I'm not seeing any offer at all. :saddowns:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

sbaldrick posted:

GSM only (does it even support all US LTE bands?). Nor would I call it "the king" it's still a rebranded cheap-as-poo poo (and likely built like it) Chinese phone.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there any chance that a future update of some kind (either of Android or the app) that will address the frequent lockup issues the 5X has when launching the camera? I tried to take a picture earlier today after an hour or so of not touching the phone. I launched the app via a double-tap of the power button, and over a minute later I was still fighting with the app to get it into a state where it could take a picture. I eventually gave up because it was supposed to be a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing and I didn't want to keep the other people I was with waiting.

The camera experience on the 5X is better now than it was when the phone initially launched, but still, when comparing it to the twist-to-activate-camera feature on the 2013 Moto X (my initial introduction to the concept of camera unlock from the lock screen) it's such poo poo. I disabled "power button locks device" because I heard it might help, but it hasn't really. I just want to be able to snap a quick picture, but right now it's nowhere near as reliable as it should be.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Karthe posted:

Is there any chance that a future update of some kind (either of Android or the app) that will address the frequent lockup issues the 5X has when launching the camera? I tried to take a picture earlier today after an hour or so of not touching the phone. I launched the app via a double-tap of the power button, and over a minute later I was still fighting with the app to get it into a state where it could take a picture. I eventually gave up because it was supposed to be a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing and I didn't want to keep the other people I was with waiting.

The camera experience on the 5X is better now than it was when the phone initially launched, but still, when comparing it to the twist-to-activate-camera feature on the 2013 Moto X (my initial introduction to the concept of camera unlock from the lock screen) it's such poo poo. I disabled "power button locks device" because I heard it might help, but it hasn't really. I just want to be able to snap a quick picture, but right now it's nowhere near as reliable as it should be.

FWIW, I've noticed this with my 5X about 1 in 10 tries, but only if I have a shitload of stuff open like a game, G+ ( For Watchmaker posts :unsmith: ), maps, inbox, chrome, etc. I'm thinking it might be some sort of limitation of the 2GB RAM.

I had a Z2 before though and probably had about the same rate of failure when using the dedicated camera button to launch the ( Sony ) camera app.

So it could also just be something about Android/camera app/OS interaction that causes occasional failure to launch.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 16, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I managed to train the lovely sensor on my Note 4 to reliably pick up my fingerprint 9 times out of 10, I strongly believe any issues with the new Samsung and Nexus sensors is solely due to either the user or a faulty unit.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Syrinxx posted:

why does cdma even loving exist any more

wait you mean there are people out there who aren't on T-Mobile?

lmao

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Daily Forecast posted:

lmao

I like to be able to use my data.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

lmao

I like to be able to have more than 1 bar of service.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Verizon Uber alles

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Not T-Mobile's fault you guys live in the wrong place. :(

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

I like to be able to use my data.

Yeah, Binge On throttling ALL video regardless of whether it gets comped that way is a dick move.

Daily Forecast posted:

Not T-Mobile's fault you guys live in the wrong place. :(

Adam Orth parachute account spotted.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

vyst posted:

Verizon Uber alles

CDMA is a thing mostly because voLTE isn't a widespread thing, yet.

My dad just got his first cell phone. Ever. He took the ATT S3 my mom has been using for 3 years and she bought my N5 from me.
They've been saying they were going to this since before the 6P was ordered.
They're so technology impaired. *sigh*

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yeah, Binge On throttling ALL video regardless of whether it gets comped that way is a dick move.

It's optional fyi.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="455037427"]
It's optional fyi.

And not made terribly obvious, and switched on even on plans that don't comp throttled video data.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Counterpoint: unlimited music streaming owns

Disclaimer: I don't use T-Mobile

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Quoting from the T-Mobile thread:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Dude could literally get out from under all this by saying "we made it opt out because most people will either like it or not notice, and it de-congests the network so everyone gets more speed."
which I think is a fair point, and honestly, why does anyone need 1080p on a tiny-rear end five inch screen? I mean, they could certainly be more transparent about it, but I feel like anyone who gives enough of a poo poo is more than able to google their way out of it. Even the people who don't have binge-on save on their data budget, which isn't a bad thing.

Also, unlimited music streaming loving owns.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The best part is Binge On works with the free tablet data plan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Until T-Mobile AT LEAST covers major highway corridors, it can't enter serious consideration in my book.

Hell, my 60 year old parents tried the T-Mobile experiment and left for At&t prepaid shortly later because they were tired of their phones always being dead hunting for signal.

Then there's the fact that T-Mobile often isn't a choice in most employer discount plans which end up making them the same price or more expensive anyways.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Counterpoint: unlimited music streaming owns

Disclaimer: I don't use T-Mobile

I do, and it does.

Though yeah, if I ever left the city I lived in, I imagine coverage would be a massive pain in the rear end.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Does anyone else have charging port issues on basically any phone using microUSB? I had this same issue on my old phone, SGS3, and now I have it on my Nexus 6. Basically it just stops working out of nowhere. Idk what to do bc I'm out of warranty but if I wanna pay off my phone and get a new one it's like $250+ (plus whatever the cost of the new phone is). Right now I'm using a wireless charger but it's not the same. I miss my quick charge.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

Until T-Mobile AT LEAST covers major highway corridors, it can't enter serious consideration in my book.

Hell, my 60 year old parents tried the T-Mobile experiment and left for At&t prepaid shortly later because they were tired of their phones always being dead hunting for signal.

Where do you/they live? I guess I'm spoiled; Seattle is saturated with T-Mobile coverage. There's nowhere in this city I can't go and not get LTE I feel like.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Around Pittsburgh. The city itself is fine, but as soon as you get 15-30 miles outside downtown, it quickly turns to poo poo.

They need to, at minimum, cover the PA turnpike end to end along with the I79, I70, and I80 corridors as well.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I travel outside of one city so I can't use t mobile

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Yossarian posted:

Wow, that's disingenuous. I've worked delivery and gotten fine service with them, currently they have great wireless unless you're in a single cul-de-sac in Graham that's an inexplicable hole. I've seen Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T phones lose connection entirely there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cool garbage carrier chat

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Does anyone else have charging port issues on basically any phone using microUSB? I had this same issue on my old phone, SGS3, and now I have it on my Nexus 6. Basically it just stops working out of nowhere. Idk what to do bc I'm out of warranty but if I wanna pay off my phone and get a new one it's like $250+ (plus whatever the cost of the new phone is). Right now I'm using a wireless charger but it's not the same. I miss my quick charge.

Take a paper clip, wrap some scotch tape around it sticky side out. Wiggle this around inside the phones USB port to collect all the dust.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"Hi thread, there are little bits of scotch tape stuck in my micro USB port that I can't get out and now it doesn't work, help?!!?"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Anyone have any experience using android auto and having a hard time actually making it work?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Captain Yossarian posted:

Next time travel outside one country, T-Mobile has free international roaming data. :smug:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What's today's topic supposed to be again? SD card Saturdays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Inspect Your Gadgets › The Android Thread - talking about phones not allowed

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 16, 2016