Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Slightly Toasted posted:

Nope Ontario claimed it and we don't want it

You can't have it both ways

I just want Kenora to become full of the one thing it hates more than Natives. 'Tobans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

CLAM DOWN posted:

The time is now for Cascadia

No way. City-State Metro Vancouver + Sea-To-Sky Corridor to Pemberton, but gently caress Abbotsford. The Southern Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island can join too if they exile Elizabeth May.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Femtosecond posted:

Albertans made the political choice to barely tax themselves and barely set aside any oil revenue. Why should the rest of Canada bail them out from the results of their terrible decisions?

We either bail them out with the hope they stay in Mordor, or they will spill forth from the black gates to pillage job markets across our nation. :canada:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/15/style/canada-justin-trudeau-cool.html

quote:

But the notion that our neighbor to the north is a frozen cultural wasteland populated with hopelessly unstylish citizens is quickly becoming so outdated as to be almost offensive

Uh....

I'm so glad we're hip now

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
NDP leader Tom Mulcair last month disclosed that he is carrying mortgages on four separate properties, including a “secondary residence” in Quebec City, but has been living out of a suitcase when in Ottawa.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
So Canadian he can feel it in his loans

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wow that isn't very fiscally responsible, I guess we dodged a bullet there

Or maybe that would have helped him in the election, who knows

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

He's just maximizing his chances for a Senate position.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Saw it, not impressed. Bunch of vehicle homicides accidents over the weekend in the GTA as well.

Kafka Esq. posted:

I grit my teeth any time I hear that.

:agreed: You'd think someone that educates others about DUI would've known better than to commit the same crime. Thankfully this story has a happy ending where no one dies.

Kafka Esq. posted:

I meant the part where it doesn't reflect on her conduct as a member of the police. A breathalyzer cop getting busted at 2x the legal limit - off duty or not - has hosed up as a member of the police.

I would have made that clear as the judge, just so we wouldn't have to hear her lawyer utter that bullshit.

:yase:

Maybe we should implement a mandatory change via the MoT to have a 3 strike system whereby you become banned from driving for life for DUI irrespective of your 'life circumstances'. I think MADD even has some sort of document about this too. http://www.madd.ca/media/docs/MADD_Canada_Sentencing_Framework_FINAL.pdf

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 9, 2022

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Calgary still manages to have one, and sometimes two of its Costcos in the top 10 daily sales reports world wide.
Calgarians somehow manage to spend over $2,000,000 at Costco every loving day of the year. I'm not certain if those numbers are equalized to USD or not.

Also St. John's. These people are supposed to be poor.

Anyway thx Alberta for ensuring I have job security.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

The leader of the NDP is the stripper from The Big Short.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 9, 2022

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Alcoholism is a disease. That said we should take steps to alleviate placing the public at unnecessary risk, driving isn't a right.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 9, 2022

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
While the circumstances are a bit different I found the following story on the Democratic primary called to mind some of the miscalculations made by Mulcair and his team during the last election. The circumstances here are obviously different but I thought the following passage was particularly interesting:

quote:

“Hillary is a pragmatic progressive — she’s not an advocate,” said Gov. Peter Shumlin of Vermont, who last week campaigned in Iowa for Mrs. Clinton over his home-state senator Mr. Sanders. “She quietly pulls people together and gets things done. Even though that’s not in vogue right now, I think that’s what voters will want in the end.”

But Mrs. Clinton’s problems are broader than just her message: Opinion polls show that some Democrats and other voters continue to question her trustworthiness and whether she cares about their problems. Recent polls show that her once-formidable lead over Mr. Sanders in Iowa has all but vanished, while he is holding on to a slight lead over her in New Hampshire.

Mrs. Clinton and her team say they always anticipated the race would tighten, with campaign manager Robby Mook telling colleagues last spring that Mr. Sanders would be tough competition. Yet they were not prepared for Mr. Sanders to become so popular with young people and independents, especially women, whom Mrs. Clinton views as a key part of her base.

Given her many political advantages, like rich donors and widespread support from Democratic Party elites, she is also surprised that Mr. Sanders’s fund-raising has rivaled hers and that her experience — along with her potential to make history as the first woman elected president — has not galvanized more voters.

Again there are lots of caveats here. Clinton still leads in national polls of Democratic voters and her institutional advantages are hard to overstate. Nevertheless a story like this calls to mind both Mulcair's failed campaign and these stories from Britain about how the Blairites totally under estimated Corbyn's appeal:

quote:

Candidates had to win the support of 35 Labour MPs formally to enter the leadership race when nominations opened in June.

Once that threshold is cleared, every party member is given one vote under new election rules introduced by former Labour leader Ed Miliband.

Several Labour MPs had switched sides last month before nominations closed to give Mr Corbyn enough support to stand in the leadership election and ensure that a leftwinger was on the ballot paper.

Some of the MPs had wanted Mr Corbyn to enter the leadership race so that Mr Burnham, Miss Cooper or Miss
Kendall could take on and defeat the hard Left well in advance of the next election, a gamble which now appears to be backfiring.

But John McTernan, a former aide to Mr Blair, said the 35 Labour MPs who nominated Mr Corbyn were “morons”.

While the circumstances in each of these cases is different the common element seems to be a severe misreading of what voters (be they primary voters or general election voters) were looking for.

Right now we seem to have a crop of leaders -- the vast majority of them born between roughly 1945 and 1975 -- who came of age in the late 20th century as the left was in full retreat. They were people who participated in the movements to "modernize" their respective parties (not quite true in Mulcair's case but very true for much of the rest of the NDP), which in practice meant adopting a Blairite third way stance.

This approach succeeded pretty well right up until the point it stopped succeeding. But now we're stuck with people whose entire lives -- and careers -- have been caught up in this "end of history" mentality that seems to make them simply awful at understanding that voters today are not the same as voters in the 1990s or 2000s.

That's not to say that there's some huge hunger among voters for a hard left platform or that the only thing holding Mulcair back in the election was that he didn't advocate "full communism now!" After all, it's far from clear Corbyn can win a general election or that Sanders can win the primary.

But what we are seeing is a generalized anti-incumbent mood, and a hunger for a break with the recent past. The same dynamics are playing out in the Republican race as well with the rise of Trump.

So the real question to me is whether the NDP, either provincially or federally, actually has the capacity to tap in to any of that energy. At the moment I doubt it: it seems like it would essentially involve everyone who is currently in a position of power in the NDP admitting that they were wrong, and quite possibly sacrificing their future career prospects. Nevertheless, it's something to watch for, especially those of us who retain our party memberships and try to work from within the party as well as without.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 2, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Melian Dialogue posted:

Yes of course, lets base our criminal justice and rehabilitation systems off of an arbitrary baseball metaphor :rolleyes:. It's worked oh so well in the United States.

It's not for incarceration, it's to revoke their drivers license permanently. Being a drivers license holder isn't a right, and has nothing to do with a persons ability to rehabilitate from alcoholism.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Melian Dialogue posted:

Yes of course, lets base our criminal justice and rehabilitation systems off of an arbitrary baseball metaphor :rolleyes:. It's worked oh so well in the United States.

Four downs and you turnover your license.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

jm20 posted:

It's not for incarceration, it's to revoke their drivers license permanently. Being a drivers license holder isn't a right, and has nothing to do with a persons ability to rehabilitate from alcoholism.

I don't really have a strong position one way or the other on revoking licenses or making it harder to drive but you repeatedly saying "being a drivers license holder isn't a right" is totally unconvincing.

What constitutes a "right" is socially determined and changes over time. Some areas has already moving toward viewing internet access as a right on the basis that you cannot fully participate in society or reliably find gainful employment without internet access. Many would argue that things like home heating or refrigeration should also be rights, even though it would have been absurd to claim this back in the 19th century. Many would say that living in a clean and safe building and having pure food and water devoid of contaminants is a right, etc.

So speaking as someone who is not necessarily opposed to what you're arguing: you really aren't convincing me with this whole "driving is a privilege, not a right" talk. Rights are what we choose to make them, and one such right should be the right to fully participate in your local community.

If it's really imperative that we take away someone's ability to drive then so be it, but part of that process, at least longer term, involves reducing dependency on cars in general. Because if you try to tell me someone in a rural area has no "right" to drive it makes me really skeptical of the rest of your position.

Keep in mind rights are not absolute. I have a right to free movement that can be taken away if I commit a serious offense and am incarcerated. So it's not as though acknowledging a right to mobility is going to fatally damage our ability to lock people up for drunk driving or to suspend their licenses.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Saw it, not impressed. Bunch of vehicle homicides accidents over the weekend in the GTA as well.

The canlii for this one is pretty good, https://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/doc/2015/2015oncj403/2015oncj403.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAJZWRnZWNvbWJlAAAAAAE&resultIndex=2

3 hours between the accident and breathalzying, she tried to gently caress with the machines knowing how they work (22 attempts to provide 2 samples) and featured this exchange.

:jewish:: The question is should you have been driving?
:cop:: I didn’t know what my reading level was that night, so I couldn’t tell if I was over .80.
:jewish:: In hindsight….
:cop:: In terms of it, in hindsight, now that I know what my readings are, yes because my readings were over .80.
:jewish:: Right. Shouldn’t been driving, right?
:cop:: But I didn’t have any way of knowing that at that night that I was over .80.
:jewish:: Because you felt fine?
:cop:: Yes.

"Accepting responsibility"

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 18, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

apatheticman posted:

I have some important news

https://twitter.com/aruddy/status/688516484549578755

Wont somebody please think of the businesses?!

So hard to bite my tongue. I don't want to get into public spats but my sarcasm is bubbling over.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Even if alcoholism is a disease, and I believe it is, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to restrict driving rights as a result. There's plenty of people with diseases or conditions, or who take medications, that preclude them from driving either all the time or under certain conditions.

It's really super-duper easy to not drink and drive, even if you abuse alcohol! Short of being the sort of alcoholic who has to be drunk almost all the time (which I don't think is honestly that many people) there's no reason you can't be an alcoholic who always drives sober, and if you are drunk all the time, you simply shouldn't drive at all.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/dogs-shot-manitoba-first-nations-1.3408167?__vfz=tc%3D14W28bPhRA_

So far the takeaway I've seen people have this so far is "gently caress First Nations, why are they so mean to animals, we should hunt and kill them!"

Rather than

"First Nations can barely take care of themselves and as a result the dog population is out of control and no one has answers.

Opinion A is why Canada will always be awful.

quote:

A dog rescuer who has visited a number of Manitoba First Nations is petitioning the provincial government to help remote communities manage stray dogs.

Jasmine Colucci, who works for K-9 Advocates Manitoba, carried out dog rescue operations in Dakota Tipi First Nation, Sandy Bay First Nation, Norway House and Long Plain First Nation in January.

Battle underway to control stray dog population in First Nations communities
Volunteer group helps First Nations with stray dogs
She took photographs that show frozen dogs, animals lying in heaps with bullet holes in their heads and homeless dogs taking shelter in dumps.

"It is honestly like a Third World country," said Colucci, who is a member of Qalipu Mi'kmaq First Nation in Newfoundland.

"There's dogs everywhere — emaciated, skinny, skinny dogs … and they're full of parasites, worms and living off garbage."

Dog rescue
Jasmine Colucci believes these dogs that froze to death in winter on a Manitoba First Nation. Colucci wants remote communities to implement laws requiring dog owners to provide fences, housing and food for their animals. (Jasmine Colucci)

Colucci has seen dogs chase large rats living in the dumps and she has taken in puppies that were being eaten by the rodents, she said.

She and fellow rescuer David Brooker head out to the communities several times a week, responding to calls from band members for help. Their organization is one of several volunteer rescue groups in the province that are overwhelmed by the situation.

A number of Manitoba communities are without bylaws, catchers and licensing programs to manage the dogs, Colucci and Brooker said. In four months, they've cared for 150 dogs, and all rescue operations are at capacity and in debt, they said.

The two want a preventative approach to dog overpopulation, but said much of the work they do is responding to emergencies, and getting ahead seems impossible.

First Nations chiefs also expressed concern about the situation.

Long Plain First Nation Chief Dennis Meeches said he's implemented a rule that prohibits more than one dog per household, but community members do not always follow it.

"It's a bit disheartening," he said.

The community had a contract with a dog catcher in Portage la Prairie, Man., but that ended when dog owners became upset.

"The company chose not to come back to Long Plain because they were being threatened," Meeches said.

Now free-roaming dogs are more abundant than ever, Meeches said, and he worries they could attack community members, including children.

Province understaffed: Colucci

Under the Animal Care Act, the Manitoba government must uphold a law that requires dog owners to make sure their animals are not abused or neglected.

People can report mistreatment to the Office of the Chief Veterinarian, which is expected to investigate, but Colucci said that's not always possible given the demand.

There are four full-time animal protection officers (APO) in a province where thousands of dogs roam remote communities.

A spokesperson for the Office of the Chief Veterinarian said there are a number of other people, including police, who can enforce the act, however it's on an "as-needed basis," meaning a complaint must precede the investigation.

"The amount that we call them is unbelievable, and there's not enough staff. It will take days," Colucci said, noting by the time there's a response, the animal could have died, particularly in –40 C weather.

As self-governing bodies, First Nations in Manitoba should implement laws to manage the situation, she said.

"So that we don't have to go there and find the dog like that. It shouldn't even be an issue in the first place."

$25 per tail

Some of Manitoba's First Nations have resorted to dog culls to control the problem. Though Meeches said his community is not one of them, Colucci said it happens in others.

She and Brooker said they want to collaborate with elders, chiefs and councils to minimize the number of dogs being killed.

"They were dumping the bodies just randomly in the forest," Colucci said. "You can see the chopped-off tails, because that's what they're getting paid for."

Dog bounty money could be used to pay for a spay and neuter clinic, she said.

But Dakota Tipi First Nation Chief David Pashe said that approach may not work in his community.

"A lot of our people are dog lovers.… They hate to see that [spay and neutering] happen to the animals," he said, adding indigenous populations believe dogs to be sacred animals.

Colucci added that spaying and neutering is only effective when a community has regular access to a veterinarian, and owners want the procedure and can afford it.

She plans to circulate her petition online in the coming days with the hope that it will save dogs' lives.

"Every time I have to euthanize a dog because it's been abused or so far gone that we had no choice [but] to euthanize it, it never gets easier," she said.

"I will equally be as heartbroken every time."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't be a commercial pilot because I'm colour blind. It's not a punishment, it's a safety thing. The lives of hundreds of people on my plane being at risk because my stupid eyes can't see what colour warning ligthts are are more important than my right or privilege to fly a giant aircraft. The same goes for operating any piece of super dangerous heavy equipment. People operating cranes at a container port will get fired if they show up drunk or on drugs or constantly gently caress up because they don't take their job seriously.

Driving needs to be treated as very serious heavy equipment operation that only sober, attentive, skilled people can do. We treat driving far too casually and take the "right" to drive absolutely for granted. Of course stricter laws and a cultural attitude that treats driving more seriously won't help if we still design our society to be almost totally car-dependent.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Good ol' relatable Tom.
https://twitter.com/InklessPW/status/689150116767371264

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/dogs-shot-manitoba-first-nations-1.3408167?__vfz=tc%3D14W28bPhRA_

So far the takeaway I've seen people have this so far is "gently caress First Nations, why are they so mean to animals, we should hunt and kill them!"

Rather than

"First Nations can barely take care of themselves and as a result the dog population is out of control and no one has answers.

My local animal shelter regularly goes up to the native community north of here and help them with things like spaying/neutering, help with vet services, and they take any that people can't care for and choose to surrender and adopt them out.

I agree that preventative measures need to happen. Maybe a mobile vet van or something, a way to send a vet from community to community to take care of animals that need help...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

The canlii for this one is pretty good, https://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/doc/2015/2015oncj403/2015oncj403.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAJZWRnZWNvbWJlAAAAAAE&resultIndex=2

3 hours between the accident and breathalzying, she tried to gently caress with the machines knowing how they work (22 attempts to provide 2 samples) and featured this exchange.

:jewish:: The question is should you have been driving?
:cop:: I didn’t know what my reading level was that night, so I couldn’t tell if I was over .80.
:jewish:: In hindsight….
:cop:: In terms of it, in hindsight, now that I know what my readings are, yes because my readings were over .80.
:jewish:: Right. Shouldn’t been driving, right?
:cop:: But I didn’t have any way of knowing that at that night that I was over .80.
:jewish:: Because you felt fine?
:cop:: Yes.

"Accepting responsibility"

I don't want to speculate that an officer of the law was purposely trying to game the system in their favour.

Helsing posted:

I don't really have a strong position one way or the other on revoking licenses or making it harder to drive but you repeatedly saying "being a drivers license holder isn't a right" is totally unconvincing.

What constitutes a "right" is socially determined and changes over time. Some areas has already moving toward viewing internet access as a right on the basis that you cannot fully participate in society or reliably find gainful employment without internet access. Many would argue that things like home heating or refrigeration should also be rights, even though it would have been absurd to claim this back in the 19th century. Many would say that living in a clean and safe building and having pure food and water devoid of contaminants is a right, etc.

So speaking as someone who is not necessarily opposed to what you're arguing: you really aren't convincing me with this whole "driving is a privilege, not a right" talk. Rights are what we choose to make them, and one such right should be the right to fully participate in your local community.

If it's really imperative that we take away someone's ability to drive then so be it, but part of that process, at least longer term, involves reducing dependency on cars in general. Because if you try to tell me someone in a rural area has no "right" to drive it makes me really skeptical of the rest of your position.

Keep in mind rights are not absolute. I have a right to free movement that can be taken away if I commit a serious offense and am incarcerated. So it's not as though acknowledging a right to mobility is going to fatally damage our ability to lock people up for drunk driving or to suspend their licenses.

The solution to the rural dui problem is simple, you apply the same rules and say they can't drive. Either they get a driver and continue their meager existence in nowhere canada, or they can move to the city and take the bus to work like everyone else. You simply can't say because someone wants to live in a special area whereby they basically need a car to get around they should be given carte blanche for special treatment.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cp24.com/news/kevin-o-leary-could-be-contender-in-conservative-leadership-race-poll-1.2741336

It appears celebrity businessman Kevin O’Leary could give Conservative Party leadership hopefuls a run for their money if he decides to enter the race, a new poll suggests.

The former Dragons' Den host announced his potential interest in the leadership race less than a week ago and in a recently released poll by Mainstreet Research, it appears O’Leary is tied with Peter MacKay among Conservative Party voters in a hypothetical leadership race.

MacKay, a former PC leader, received 25 per cent among Conservative voters while O’Leary, a political newcomer, received 23 per cent support from respondents.

“Somewhat surprisingly, none of the other early insider favourites is registering much support with Conservative voters, including Jason Kenney at just 8 (per cent), Lisa Raitt at 4.4 (per cent), Maxime Bernier with 4 (per cent), and Kellie Leitch at 3 (per cent),” Mainstreet Research President Quito Maggi said in analysis accompanying the poll.

Not only is O'Leary just slightly behind MacKay, the poll also suggests the TV personality leads in western Canada.

“Kevin O'Leary is an entertaining personality and shameless self-promoter. He has been called the Canadian Donald Trump and follows in the footsteps of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sonny Bono, Ronald Reagan and other celebrities who have capitalized on name recognition to enter politics,” Maggi said.

“Should he actually enter the Conservative leadership race there would be support - but whether he actually intends to run is another matter entirely. Certainly he has the potential to shake-up the race and despite being a newcomer to politics, would be one of the candidates to watch.”

The survey, which polled 1,777 Conservative Party voters, including Conservative "leaning" voters, was conducted on Jan. 15, 2016.

It is considered accurate plus or minus 2.32 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

O'Leary, the saviour of conservative values

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend used to do horse stuff up near a reserve, which was also around a lot of farms and suburban "hobby farm" sort of deals. Post-soviet style roving packs of dangerous dogs were a thing. They'd attack people and livestock and generally cause a lot of trouble. The local animal control though didn't have any authority on the reserve land, which is where all the dogs were coming from. They'd have to catch the dogs off the reserve and the reserve its self was extremely uncooperative if not downright hostile towards animal control or the people getting attacked. It was a really bad situation that fueled a lot of anger towards the reserve, and probably still is.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jm20 posted:

O'Leary, the saviour of conservative values

Reminder that Conservative voters are not the same people as the Conservative membership, and only the membership votes.

Just ask Ken Dryden, who was consistently topping "Liberal voters" polls in 2006 but ended up with 5% of the delegates.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

jm20 posted:

The solution to the rural dui problem is simple, you apply the same rules and say they can't drive. Either they get a driver and continue their meager existence in nowhere canada, or they can move to the city and take the bus to work like everyone else. You simply can't say because someone wants to live in a special area whereby they basically need a car to get around they should be given carte blanche for special treatment.

Well ok, keep grinding that ax I guess. Your obsessive focus on punishment -- at least in the context of this particular discussion -- rather than addressing the underlying conditions that contribute to this problem makes me way less inclined to listen to what you say, but I'm getting the impression you don't care about that so more power to ya.

Baronjutter posted:

Of course stricter laws and a cultural attitude that treats driving more seriously won't help if we still design our society to be almost totally car-dependent.

Pretty much. As I said above it's a perfectly reasonable position to say that it should be easier to revoke licenses, but like most other criminal justice issues in society the problem here goes beyond individual behaviour or morality. Harsher punishments, regardless of whether or not they are fair, are unlikely to address the problem given that most drunk drivers are obviously already willing to take on a lot of risk by driving drunk to begin with.

I guess you might take a few drunk drivers permanently off the streets but generally speaking this kind of approach doesn't have a great track record, at least not when it comes to guns or drugs or prostitution. Without changing the larger context in which these crimes are occurring it can be hard to actually get a handle on the underlying problem, and unless you're envisioning some kind of vast police state it's highly unlikely you'll actually remove the majority of drunk drivers from the roads, even with a three strikes law.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Helsing posted:

Well ok, keep grinding that ax I guess. Your obsessive focus on punishment -- at least in the context of this particular discussion -- rather than addressing the underlying conditions that contribute to this problem makes me way less inclined to listen to what you say, but I'm getting the impression you don't care about that so more power to ya.

I appreciate your kind words, however rural people do have options to get around. You'd be surprised to know there are services such as taxi's and co-op/non-profits that operate a rural shuttle service.

For example, http://www.bancroftcommunitytransit.com/

I stand by my statements about revoking driver licenses as a responsible means to protect the public. If you don't drink and drive, you can't lose your license and in some cases, livelihood.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Rather than

White people still think loving dogs are more important than humans, no surprises there.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

jm20 posted:

"Simple"

Who's paying for them to relocate if they can't afford it themselves -- transportation, first and last months rent, etc?
Do they go into social housing or do we just force them into homelessness if they can't find a place?
Do they go on unemployment while they transition careers?
Do they get a say in where they move?
Do we move them to a city with a fully functioning public transit system like Toronto, or do we move them to the closest city with at least one bus?
What if they have kids in school, do we just uproot them? What if they have a spouse -- do they give up their job as well?
What if they have ailing parents or relatives?
Nevermind that, what about the fact that their entire family and social network is likely in that "special area" where they "want" to live?
Is 'Yes' to any of that more likely to exacerbate their alcoholism than not, and if yes, is that really what we want?

Nevermind that. It's simple.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I took the shorter road and asked myself: "After seeing what an unapologetic fuckhat she was about the whole situation right up until sentencing, would you volunteer to drive Christy Natsis to the grocery store?"

No. No I would not.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

the trump tutelage posted:

"Simple"

Who's paying for them to relocate if they can't afford it themselves -- transportation, first and last months rent, etc?
Do we move them to a city with a fully functioning public transit system like Toronto, or do we move them to the closest city with at least one bus?
What if they have kids in school, do we just uproot them? What if they have a spouse -- do they give up their job as well?
Nevermind that, what about the fact that their entire family and social network is likely in that "special area" where they "want" to live?
Is 'Yes' to any of that more likely to exacerbate their alcoholism than not, and if yes, is that really what we want?

Nevermind that. It's simple.

They can.

They would need to satisfy the EI requirements to qualify for EI.

Somewhere they're no longer dependent upon driving to exist, I'm sure there are such places.

Their choice of locale provided they don't drive.

:qq: consequences, perhaps their spouse can drive them around.

:qq:

If they have such a good social network I'm sure someone will be willing to chauffeur them around town to make it work.

We want problem drivers to no longer have the driver part. They can continue to be problem alcoholics without the driving portion and I am fine with that.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Maybe we should implement a mandatory change via the MoT to have a 3 strike system whereby you become banned from driving for life for DUI irrespective of your 'life circumstances'. I think MADD even has some sort of document about this too. http://www.madd.ca/media/docs/MADD_Canada_Sentencing_Framework_FINAL.pdf

The MADD sentencing guidelines are a little steep but I think we already have a 3 strike system in Ontario

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/ignition-interlock-program.shtml posted:

If you have been convicted of an impaired or drinking and driving-related offence under the Criminal Code, you will be eligible to have your driver's licence reinstated after you serve all the provincial sanctions, including serving a licence suspension, paying the reinstatement fee or administrative monetary penalty and completing the Back on Track program.

You will have an ignition interlock condition ("I") placed on your driver's licence for a period of:

First-time offenders: minimum of 1 year

Second-time offenders: minimum of 3 years

Third-time offenders: variable period (1 year, 3 years or indefinitely), if licence is reinstated after a minimum 10-year suspension

The program does not apply to fourth-time offenders, as their licence will never be reinstated.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

The MADD sentencing guidelines are a little steep but I think we already have a 3 strike system in Ontario

Stop ruining my fun :qq: It also has some blow warn guidelines, anyways cats out of the bag peace.

* convicted of an impaired or drinking and driving-related offence under the Criminal Code of Canada

* suspended for registering a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.05 to 0.08 three or more times during a 5-year period

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

The MADD sentencing guidelines are a little steep

There's a fuckin' shocker. The funniest part was the idea that we should sentence people more harshly for exercising their right to plead not guilty and force the state to prove the elements of the offense in court.

If someone's got a disease that makes them likely to kill people, whether it's from getting into a car and running over them or getting into a bus and eating them, then we remove that person's ability to hurt us until we fix their disease, and then we let the person go again. Alcoholism or not, becoming drunk by your own hand doesn't absolve you of mens rea so if your alcoholism kills somebody then you can get your treatment in jail.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

jm20 posted:

I appreciate your kind words, however rural people do have options to get around. You'd be surprised to know there are services such as taxi's and co-op/non-profits that operate a rural shuttle service.

For example, http://www.bancroftcommunitytransit.com/

I stand by my statements about revoking driver licenses as a responsible means to protect the public. If you don't drink and drive, you can't lose your license and in some cases, livelihood.

Hi jm20 it's great to see you're still an idiot. You probably have never lived in a rural area your entire life so you're unlikely to be aware that rural taxis aren't generally available everywhere - the region I lived in didn't have access to one that would be less than $60 a trip, at the very very very least. Going to a party and someone forces you to get drunk (as happened to a friend of mine growing up)? Well congrats your drunk an hour and a half drive from home and now no one wants to drive you there. I hope you like taking township roads - gravel roads since you probably don't know what that is - and I hope you "drive safe."

How about the squatter that lived on my family's land for about 15 years? He grew up in a hosed up home, did a variety of drugs, and ended up going to jail so often he got the nickname "Clink." Taking away his license and registration meant he couldn't find work in the only field he had any knowledge of - oil field if I remember correctly - so he got by doing work on horses like clipping nails and other pretty simple poo poo. He drove until the day he died pretty much (of liver disease I believe). I get that you think this is a clear cut and easy problem to solve, but sadly your tendency to have very hard views about something you know very little about continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Conservative Interim Leader Rona Ambrose is concerned that the "very new and untested" Liberal government is ill-prepared to deal with the economy and she wants to meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to offer her help.

"I'm asking [Trudeau] to meet, because I want to offer him my support to work with the government … to discuss what is the rapidly deteriorating economic situation in Canada," Ambrose said during a luncheon speech at the Canadian Club in Toronto on Monday.

Ambrose conceded that her party has significant policy differences with the Liberals, but said she is willing to present a united front on some issues to save what she described as an economy hurdling towards a recession and a Canadian dollar that is in a "tailspin."

Ambrose did not elaborate on what economic policy proposals her party would be willing to support.

"Now, I said that we will support the government when appropriate, and we will, because we all want good government ... but I have to tell you, in the first few weeks the Liberals have made it really difficult for us, and we're already seeing some troubling signs.

"The policies they espouse are clearly bad for the economic prosperity of our country," Ambrose said, pointing to Liberal promises to reform employment insurance, proposals to raise CPP contribution rates and efforts to settle on a national price on carbon emissions.