Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Selecta84 posted:

Are the expansions for All Creatures Big and Small worth getting?

At least one is pretty much vital to open the game up and have different options and strategies each game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

At least one is pretty much vital to open the game up and have different options and strategies each game.

So one should be enough for starters, right?

Any idea which expansion has the more interesting buildings?

Otherwise I would just by the 1st one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Haven't played the second much but the first is really good and provides plenty of variety.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

Haven't played the second much but the first is really good and provides plenty of variety.

Ok then, I think I will try the first one then.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

Star Wars COIN game, I can already see it working :v:

It has already been agreed that the X-Files COIN game with Greys/Consortium/FBI/Rebel Aliens is the way to go.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
7 Wonders: Duel trip report! Finally found an occasion to bring this one out while sipping scotch with a friend. I originally bought it to play with my girlfriend, but I didn't want to learn the game and teach the game at the same time as it's always advisable to make her first impression of a new game be as smooth an experience as possible. The rules are very clear and easy, especially so if you already know 7 Wonders and its expansions. Use of symbols is largely the same.

My friend is fairly competitive, so we were consulting the card overview in the back of the manual during play. It's great that they added this, as knowing what cards can still come out in the hidden rows or in the next age is basically a must if you want to make informed strategic decisions. It's a bit of a learning process if you don't want to look it up every turn, but there seems to be a 'system' that can help you remember:

- There's only 2 of each scientific symbol in the game. The Law symbol exists only on a Progress token to help with scientific victory, there's no matching Law symbol on a card.
- Age 1 scientific symbols have their matching symbol in age 2, not in age 3.
- There are 2 pairs of Age 3 scientific symbols.
- All chaining cards have their chained card in the next age except one red and yellow in Age 1
- Blue Age 1 chains run through the three ages, all other chains end in the next age

As for replayability, setup will vary for the following elements:
- only 8 of the 12 wonders are used in a game
- only 5 of the 10 progress tokens are used in a game
- only 3 of the 7 guild cards are used in a game (but you don't know which ones until you see them in Age 3)
- only 20 of the 23 cards in each age are used in a game (this is more for adding a chance of a missing card rather than variable setup, but the effect is still there)

The recommended beginner setup uses 4 specific wonders assigned to each player. It seemed fairly balanced, we ended with a civil victory (no military or scientific supremacy) with less than 10 point difference. I wanted another go but my friend was getting 'tired' (drunk). Though he assured me he likes the game as much as I do.

Next step: teaching my girlfriend!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Rebellion might scratch that Star Wars But With Politics itch

What we really need is COIN: New Vegas

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StashAugustine posted:

Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!

Leader preview

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Tekopo posted:

Maybe if FFG gave a sack of cash to Volke but it would work better in a DS 9 setting however that's wiz kids domain and we know how they roll

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 18, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

StashAugustine posted:

What we really need is COIN: New Vegas

But does it actually have space politics, or just 150 AT-AT minis?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lichtenstein posted:

But does it actually have space politics, or just 150 AT-AT minis?

Everything ive seen indicates it being only meaningfully 2 players, so no real politics.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Panzeh posted:

Everything ive seen indicates it being only meaningfully 2 players, so no real politics.

Think of all the well known and beloved factions they could add to a Star Wars game besides the Rebellion and the Empire to get some politics in the mix: the Hapes Consortium, the Ssi Ruuvi Imperium, the Chiss Ascendancy. The list is practically endless. :rolleyes:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Give me the Hutts or give me death.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

dont you laugh at the chiss ascendancy fucker

(I mean politics as a thematic thing)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It sounds like Rebellion the board game is heavily influenced by Rebellion the video game and that had no politics to speak of. I don't even see how you could meaningfully do politics in a 1v1 game.

If you want politics go big or go home, break out that TI3 with Shards of the Throne :getin:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

theroachman posted:

7 Wonders: Duel trip report!

I've played a couple games and quite like it. The system for picking cards from the board is interesting, because it encourages a lot of direct conflict between players -- there's often a card you both really want so there's a tense standoff where no one wants to take all the prerequisite cards.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So, I'm trying to think of any games I should be getting in the near future. This is my current game collection, either purchased or gifted:

(not shown: 1st Elder Sign expansion, Space Alert exp, Exploding Kittens in its own little corner of dark shame)

Anyway, quality of the game notwithstanding, I enjoy almost all of these games (except for maybe Dominion; also Catan, that's my roommate's), and was wondering what, if given these games, I should look to purchase anytime in the future.

Already want to get Dungeon Petz (still holding out on an anniversary edition), possibly Tash Kalar, Food Chain Magnate when it's not incredibly expensive, likely Archipelago. Anything else?

Oh, and a new IKEA shelf, because this one is just not going to last much longer.

Also, my friend has a first print of Mage Knight, and the components - specifically, the cards - feel like poo poo. Did they ever fix that in subsequent printings?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've played a couple games and quite like it. The system for picking cards from the board is interesting, because it encourages a lot of direct conflict between players -- there's often a card you both really want so there's a tense standoff where no one wants to take all the prerequisite cards.

I've probably played more games of Duel than most games I own - it is really quite fun and I definitely recommend it as someone who got pretty tired of 7 Wonders. It's quick, simple to learn, and the different ways to win really make some choices crucial (though I have yet to see a military victory, that takes some work to get to).

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

No poo poo you don't enjoy Dominion, the only expansion you have is Guilds, who gets Guilds as a first expansion?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Scyther posted:

No poo poo you don't enjoy Dominion, the only expansion you have is Guilds, who gets Guilds as a first expansion?

Was gifted with that copy of Dominion

But really I just find it too...noninteractive. And I don't mean via mechanics, I just mean that whenever I play the game it's hard to really strike up conversations with others, since everyone is looking at their cards 100% of the time. It's not a bad game mechanically, it's just a personal dislike.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Two of my favorites I don't see there are Valley of the Kings and Castles of Burgundy. Both play really well with 2 players, my most frequent player count

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Fat Samurai posted:

Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!

Leader preview

FFG posted:

Furthermore, every leader is uniquely associated with one of the game's missions and gains a bonus at it. For example, Princess Leia gains extra successes when she is assigned to the Stolen Plans mission. In this way, your leaders are even more than their collections of icons and numbers; they all have their own individual destinies.

gently caress destiny. Han "Harrison Ford" Solo is going to shoot his loving way to the death star plans and fly them out full throttle yippekayyay motherfucker because that's how I want to do it. I hate when games do this it's the most amerithematitrash mechanic.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am pretty sure those are generic stolen plans and not the actual death star plans.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am pretty sure any game where you can be Tarkin can't be bad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

So, I'm trying to think of any games I should be getting in the near future. This is my current game collection, either purchased or gifted:

From the looks of what is on your shelf you might like Agricola, Race for the Galaxy, and Arkham Horror. You should defiantly get Agricola right away.

As for Mage Knight cards, I found them to be fairly high quality, but then again I put them in sleeves the second I got them. Its a deck building game, and there isn't a lot of cards s o they will get worn quickly. With the amount of shuffling you need to do, sleeves are mandatory for Mage Knight. Its not as much of a burden as Dominion, there isn't 50 copies of every card.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Morpheus posted:

Also, my friend has a first print of Mage Knight, and the components - specifically, the cards - feel like poo poo. Did they ever fix that in subsequent printings?

Fix as in noticeably improve the quality? Not really, no. Keep in mind they just feel cheap, they hold up fine in gameplay. I penny sleeved the cards and they're in perfect condition after what must be close to a hundred games by now. I love the game and all but it's still Wizkids making it, the components are never going to be impressive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rutibex posted:

From the looks of what is on your shelf you might like Agricola, Race for the Galaxy, and Arkham Horror. You should defiantly get Agricola right away.

I've played enough Agricola to last me quite enough, and I know that Eldritch is better than Arkham - at least, I enjoy it more. Race for the Galaxy I need to take a look at though...I played Roll for the Galaxy, and really disliked the random nature of the improvement tiles. Ironically, there was nothing random about the dice for me, I had two improvements that essentially made my dice rolls moot since I could move them around whenever i wanted. But my opponent had improvements that just gave him a constant flow of money almost every turn, and there was no way for me to compete with that.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

PlaneGuy posted:

gently caress destiny. Han "Harrison Ford" Solo is going to shoot his loving way to the death star plans and fly them out full throttle yippekayyay motherfucker because that's how I want to do it. I hate when games do this it's the most amerithematitrash mechanic.

How is it the most thematitrash mechanic for certain people to be better at specific things in a universe where there is literally a mystical force that causes exactly that?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, it's an interesting challenge, you have to predict which card your opponent is going to take. I haven't figured out yet if and when hatedrafting is a viable choice. Obviously, trashing a card to prevent an immediate military or scientific victory is a no-brainer, but there might be situations where you pick and trash a card to screw with your opponents plans instead of furthering your own.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Leia got caught. R2 should have the bonus.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Morpheus posted:

I've played enough Agricola to last me quite enough, and I know that Eldritch is better than Arkham - at least, I enjoy it more. Race for the Galaxy I need to take a look at though...I played Roll for the Galaxy, and really disliked the random nature of the improvement tiles. Ironically, there was nothing random about the dice for me, I had two improvements that essentially made my dice rolls moot since I could move them around whenever i wanted. But my opponent had improvements that just gave him a constant flow of money almost every turn, and there was no way for me to compete with that.

Rutibex is always trolling. Just put him on ignore until you've been around long enough to "get" his "jokes."

And yes, you are absolutely correct. Eldritch is literally an improved re-implementation of Arkham.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Broken Loose posted:

Rutibex is always trolling. Just put him on ignore until you've been around long enough to "get" his "jokes."

Somehow this kept not occurring to me.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Isn't Agricola getting the big box treatment this year, anyways?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Foehammer posted:

It's getting a 2.0 that supposedly strips out crap no one uses, so sort of

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Me and a friend played the apprentice mode of Mage Wars today and really enjoyed it. It looked kind of complex and first but it was pretty intuitive after a couple of turns! We're both pretty deep into card games so that probably helped

Any of the expansions must-have? Also curious if i should sort of some prepared spellbooks if people want to give the game a try and not just use the apprentice mode every time we play.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Me and a friend played the apprentice mode of Mage Wars today and really enjoyed it. It looked kind of complex and first but it was pretty intuitive after a couple of turns! We're both pretty deep into card games so that probably helped

When you say "apprentice mode", do you mean you played Mage Wars Academy (newer simpler version without a game board/movement/area stuff), or an basic version of Mage Wars Arena (the full sized big game)?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

I've played enough Agricola to last me quite enough, and I know that Eldritch is better than Arkham - at least, I enjoy it more.

This may be true, but they are both actually quite distinct games, so if you own one it doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't own the other one. It's not like King of Tokyo vs New York, where one is a straight upgrade of the other. After all, I noticed you have Elder Sign no that shelf as well, which is very much in the same vein. I would defiantly say that Arkham Horror is better than Elder Sign.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Merauder posted:

When you say "apprentice mode", do you mean you played Mage Wars Academy (newer simpler version without a game board/movement/area stuff), or an basic version of Mage Wars Arena (the full sized big game)?

The mode it has at the start of the rulebook: half the board, both players have 10 Channel, 24 Life, and a basic 3 Attack-dice melee attack, and no mage ability cards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

Some Numbers posted:

Somehow this kept not occurring to me.

What trolling? I own all four of those games, and I recommend them with confidence! Mage Knight, Agricola, Race for the Galaxy, and Arkham Horror are all really great games. I could not be trolling unless my entire life is an elaborate troll:

Foehammer posted:

It is :D It is supposed to come with the supplemental decks included in the base set, which will be awesome and make Agricola the most content dense game (by price/weight) in existence.

Over Christmas I have bite the bullet and bought some of the expansion decks, so now I feel that it would be waste to buy the new set, even if it includes the improved wheat tokens.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Maybe it's just because I'm spoiled on them, but I really wish Mage Wars had a more LCG like distribution. Their distribution model is sort of a nightmare, in that it's hard to get a full playset without a bunch of other crap. It becomes prohibitive to buy multiple expansions since they all come with tokens and their own spellbook binders, which I think was a really huge mistake since it drives up the cost per bundle and is a storage nightmare (I've basically started using the extra spellbooks as card storage, so...yay?). The fact that there are a ton of promos scattered all over the place and it's just something that I can't really justify giving a poo poo about anymore.

Their product line was also a sort of hot mess, too. Like, Core Set, okay, got it, but then they released a bunch of spellbook expansions that didn't add any NEW cards, just filled in a bunch of cards that weren't a full playset in the Core? But then only 3? Now they've splintered it into Academy and Arena, and I really shouldn't have this much difficulty keeping up with their product line.

I imagine if they streamlined the distribution, had a more regular release schedule, stopped having so many goddamn promos that aren't just alt arts, and basically turned the game into an LCG, it would be a lot more popular. A deckbuilder would be great too since it's sort of a pain in the rear end currently.

:sigh:, Mage Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Please do not disparage the noble Rutibex "if you think my basement full of titty miniatures is gross then you're trying to institute a puritanical facist state" Rutibex.