Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

BJPaskoff posted:

Commander changes:

The Commander-specific mulligan is gone! We now use regular mulligans like regular goddamn people. The first mulligan is free in multiplayer, which is also part of Magic's normal rules.

You can now generate mana outside of your general's color identity. No more Urborg letting you generate colorless, which wasn't the reason it was changed, because balance-wise who cared, there weren't enough playable colorless-only-costing things to matter. But now it's simpler for players. Like mana burn, it was a rule that was mostly hidden until it mattered in one game, so it's good to get rid of it.

Prophet of Kruphix is banned! This alone might get me to bring out my Commander decks to my LGS again. What an oppressive card. Once the UG player cast it, the game was over, because suddenly every turn was their turn. I've been calling for its ban since it came out.
A reasonable update is honestly the last thing I expected from Sheldon and Co. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Glad the mana rule is gone, it brought absolutely nothing to the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dragonmaster Outcast does die to shocks for no value and it's basically nothing before it's on. Sylvan advocate is probably just worse than Tasigur right now but I can imagine it having a place at some point.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I still think the Colorless 'Aggro' deck Chapin made has potential to be really good.

Or at least very fun.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Dragonmaster Outcast does die to shocks for no value and it's basically nothing before it's on. Sylvan advocate is probably just worse than Tasigur right now but I can imagine it having a place at some point.

Worst case scenario is that it gets shocked for an equal trade in mana or you don't make it to the turn where it gets activated (but you're playing some form of Jeskai with a lot of answers, so...). Best case scenario is usually your opponent blowing it up with more expensive removal, tripping over tempo, or just getting run over in the late game because you grabbed him back with Ojutai's Command.

Sylvan Advocate isn't bad at all considering it has fantastic on curve stats but I'm having trouble thinking of a deck that is going to aggressive enough early game and drawing enough late game for it to have an impact at every stage of the game.

edit: Also, claim your free win or something in the brew tournament topic.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Snacksmaniac posted:

This is one embarrassing hobby.

Would you say it's a Bad Game?

:getin:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sickening posted:

People said that about battle and it didn't happen. Multiformat mythics are usually an expensive thing. 25 bucks is about as good as that gets.

What? Everything but Gideon was 10 bucks or less. Ulamog was 10 when I bought my playset. This one will be the same.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chairman Pow! posted:

That's a really interesting article! It seems like having more options for players added into modern, rather than removing options would be better for long term consumer enjoyment and growing your card game.

This is what I don't get. I don't care about what was banned specifically, it is the issue that R&D says they only design for limited and standard, and if stuff is good in other formats ok great. If they did whatever would be necessary to develop with modern in mind as well, the metagame could experience shakeups by new cards and archtypes coming into being every year, rather than just smaking down whatever deck the pro's are most likely to play at the PT so it see's some diversity.

The other thing that kills me is you can almost see them touching on modern format design but then they don't pull the trigger. We could have banned Exarch,and then had UWR twin with midnight guard or RUG twin with Bounding Krasis and the deck gets a bit worse, but is still viable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What? Everything but Gideon was 10 bucks or less. Ulamog was 10 when I bought my playset. This one will be the same.

Ulamog is 50$ now.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ulamog is 50$ now.

No it's not, hth

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If gideon was more than 10 dollars how is everything cheaper than 10 dollars? Hell, Ulamog was wasn't cheaper than 10 dollars even at TCG low.

Now both standard and modern are poised to use Ulamog more often and what do you know... 25 bucks again. A few months from now we might be saying 25 bucks was a good buy in time if you wanted to play him.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 18, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ulamog is 50$ now.

25, guy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently I shouldn't listen to bystanders when I'm making trades at the LGS.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah someone mentioned this earlier but Fulminator Mage is probably a good thing to get now rather than later if you are thinking of getting them

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I still think the Colorless 'Aggro' deck Chapin made has potential to be really good.

Or at least very fun.

For standard this could be a real deck. I really like the land utility. Seems like a busy deck.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah someone mentioned this earlier but Fulminator Mage is probably a good thing to get now rather than later if you are thinking of getting them

Its slowly been going up since the bans. Once an article comes out with "cards to watch" its going to probably shoot up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sickening posted:

If gideon was more than 10 dollars how is everything cheaper than 10 dollars? Hell, Ulamog was wasn't cheaper than 10 dollars even at TCG low.

Now both standard and modern are poised to use Ulamog more often and what do you know... 25 bucks again. A few months from now we might be saying 25 bucks was a good buy in time if you wanted to play him.

Okay mr pedantic, everything but one card was 10 bucks or less. I don't care what TCG mid says you could get Newlamog for 10 bucks all over the place. That one card was a 4 of slot in to one of the most popular decks in the place of Elspeth.

If a few months from now Kozilek's Return hasn't gone down I guess I will buy them higher but it will go down. It's not Jace. It's really good and I want them but 25 is too high I THINK.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Anger of the Gods is a better card and it peaked at $5. The difference between rare and mythic is not enough to make Kozilek's Return five times as much, especially in a set in which any pack has the chance of containing Wasteland.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's definitely better than Anger in the ramp deck. I suspect the instant speed part could be super relevant in modern also.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Would you say it's a Bad Game?
:getin:
:tipshat:

Legacy talk. Anything anyone excited about? I just want to play new Kozilek in 12 post.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Anger of the Gods is a better card and it peaked at $5. The difference between rare and mythic is not enough to make Kozilek's Return five times as much, especially in a set in which any pack has the chance of containing Wasteland.

Anger of the gods is harder to cast and isn't instant, both very relevant in formats with manlands. There is a good chance that it will be used more in modern than standard but it remains to be seen. Also, what if anger of the gods was mythic? Considering so many sideboards had it as a 3x and 4x in standard with it being a 1x in modern as well, it could have been a pretty pricey card in a hurry.

What the price will be will totally depend on how much it catches on in modern and how often it shows up in standard. Pretty decent chances at both. Mythic just matters when a card is popular when it comes to the price.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 18, 2016

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
nah i don't think this set feeds into major legacy archetypes. 12post or mud get some stuff. most of the powerful poo poo requires C and most manabases that are generating C don't want those cards

deftest
May 7, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Okay, which of you bought out starcity + cardkingdom + channelfireball of their 29.99 copies...?

edit: 20 copies just mysteriously appeared on CFB. Alright, LSV... we know it's you.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

deftest posted:

Okay, which of you bought out starcity + cardkingdom + channelfireball of their 29.99 copies...?

edit: 20 copies just mysteriously appeared on CFB. Alright, LSV... we know it's you.

Well would you look at that, it's back to its old price. :evilbuddy:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Why would anyone buyout the expensive ones from those 3 before tcg player?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Sickening posted:

Why would anyone buyout the expensive ones from those 3 before tcg player?

Travis Woo is shorting the market.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sickening posted:

Anger of the gods is harder to cast and isn't instant, both very relevant in formats with manlands. There is a good chance that it will be used more in modern than standard but it remains to be seen. Also, what if anger of the gods was mythic? Considering so many sideboards had it as a 3x and 4x in standard with it being a 1x in modern as well, it could have been a pretty pricey card in a hurry.

What the price will be will totally depend on how much it catches on in modern and how often it shows up in standard. Pretty decent chances at both. Mythic just matters when a card is popular when it comes to the price.

The most widely used manland is 2/3 so it doesn't kill it. It also doesn't kill many of the new creatures in this set or the creatures used in the last. Not that I don't think it's a great card it is, but it isn't a 25 dollar card in my opinion.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The most widely used manland is 2/3 so it doesn't kill it. It also doesn't kill many of the new creatures in this set or the creatures used in the last. Not that I don't think it's a great card it is, but it isn't a 25 dollar card in my opinion.

Like are you skipping the parts I talk about modern? You are confusing me.

As far as standard goes it great against mardu/jeskai tokens and does well against atarka red due to instant speed. If creature ramps becomes more common it will be good against it too. Just a lot to wait for there. The question that needs to be answered is if this will be used over radiant flames, which also doesn't hit manlands at all. If it is used more than radiant flames it will hold value better.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 18, 2016

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Commander changes:

Prophet of Kruphix is banned!

:byewhore:

Like MLK I also had a dream, a dream where Prophet of Kruphix hosed off and never came back. You get one turn per turn, motherfuckers.
It's telling that, at least in my playgroup, Prophet was the target for tutoring, stealing, reanimation, and cloning basically 100% of the time. Like, even when someone had one already, they would clone it just to have a backup.
I almost hope I play against someone who wants to disregard that banlist and play Prophet just so I can say Sure let me sleeve up this Emrakul real quick.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why are these Eldrazi decks running Scrabbling Claws over Relic of Progenitus? Don't want to exile their own graveyard for fear of the mirror?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

Why are these Eldrazi decks running Scrabbling Claws over Relic of Progenitus? Don't want to exile their own graveyard for fear of the mirror?

Targets the cards not the opponent. Doesn't turn off against leylines.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

black potus posted:

nah i don't think this set feeds into major legacy archetypes. 12post or mud get some stuff. most of the powerful poo poo requires C and most manabases that are generating C don't want those cards

I'm going to try Warping Wail in Death and Taxes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

Targets the cards not the opponent. Doesn't turn off against leylines.

Uh, maybe read it again?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

POssibly, but yeah that seems a little sketchy. Relic lets you potentially a lot of Wasteland Stranglers and Blight herders at once.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

Can you link some lists that are just running claws and not Relic? The lists I've seen are 4x relic 1-3x claws.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

:tipshat:

Legacy talk. Anything anyone excited about? I just want to play new Kozilek in 12 post.

I'll answer in the eternal thread too, but Dredge might play Natural State

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

suicidesteve posted:

Uh, maybe read it again?

The cycling ability on claws targets the card, so when you positively absolutely need to exile a specific card against an opponent with Leyline in play, you can.

Edit: Wait, Progenitus' cycle doesn't target the player either. Weird.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Because you can't run more than 4 Relic of Progenitus

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lets Pickle posted:

POssibly, but yeah that seems a little sketchy. Relic lets you potentially a lot of Wasteland Stranglers and Blight herders at once.

The first mode of those cards both target a player, and the second mode doesn't target a player in either case. I wasn't aware that there was a version of the deck that played Claws but not Relics. The only reason I could see is if it's BW so it doesn't turn off their Lingering Souls, which seems like pretty sketchy reasoning,

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Uh, maybe read it again?

You are right. It seems people may be using it over relic because its cheaper and they are running cards where their graveyard is relevant to keep intact?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

Can you link some lists that are just running claws and not Relic? The lists I've seen are 4x relic 1-3x claws.

Oh yeah, so they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
You run both relic and claws in the case relic gets needled

• Locked thread