Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Digital_Jesus posted:

lmao like I've watched a single cutscene yet.

I know! :) I was just pointing out that this particular one may be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Suitaru posted:

how the gently caress are you supposed to appreciate the intricacies of perfuming chocobos if you do poo poo limke this??? mods?????

Or that Lalafell are the most dangerous element in all of Eorzea. More than the Empire, more than the Void.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The only reason the Empire was a threat is because Eorzea is filled with limp-dicked emotionally unstable manic depressants that get sad and moody at the first sight of anything resembling Bad Things.

A couple of murder hobos in bad outfits just shitstomped the ultima weapon without any effort. Shoulda just let the Empire take over IMO.

"Oh we can't possible stand up to the empire because we don't have any soup."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

The only reason the Empire was a threat is because Eorzea is filled with limp-dicked emotionally unstable manic depressants that get sad and moody at the first sight of anything resembling Bad Things.

And also guns are really good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kibner posted:

There is a cutscene or two right before HW starts that is totally worth watching, but I don't know how to tell you when it comes up without spoilers.

Are they the ones that literally have a "warning, you're about to watch a lot of cutscenes, make sure you have time" popup before them?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Personally I was going to say Hildebrand.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kibner posted:

I know! :) I was just pointing out that this particular one may be worth it.

Not like it's going to mean anything to someone who has skipped every other cutscene.

"Oh no! Serious things that I have no context for are happening to these characters I don't know anything about!"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nipponophile posted:

Not like it's going to mean anything to someone who has skipped every other cutscene.

"Oh no! Serious things that I have no context for are happening to these characters I don't know anything about!"

I thought I remembered there being an interesting action scene in there regardless of context? Maybe I'm just misremembering.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I will wager a guess it amounts to "Bad mans do bad things to good mans. Hero lady do bad thing to bad mans and save good mans. Gobbie... boom?"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Thancred is unsettling to me. He looks like a weird hodgepodge of Cloud, Squall, Tidus, and Vaan. Like he echos all of them, but not quite at the same time.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Thanks to goons I went from 1-50 and finished the MSQ in my first week of owning the game.

Wow, that's awesome dude. I thought I was bangin them out by being Level 22 after a few days. Leveling in this game is pretty lax though from what I can tell. Just by doing quests I see and MSQ and Guildquests I'm generally synched for all the MSQs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thancred's personality doesn't fit his look at all though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Digital_Jesus posted:

I will wager a guess it amounts to "Bad mans do bad things to good mans. Hero lady do bad thing to bad mans and save good mans. Gobbie... boom?"

Closer to "Your right hand comes off?" But also with nothing good happening to good people.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Wow, that's awesome dude. I thought I was bangin them out by being Level 22 after a few days. Leveling in this game is pretty lax though from what I can tell. Just by doing quests I see and MSQ and Guildquests I'm generally synched for all the MSQs.

Well, mostly I just did every single fuckin' sidequest until about level 25ish, completely outleveled the MSQ, and did nothing but MSQ until it was above my level and then did an endless dungeon grind to get back on track, repeat until finish.

Goons being available to help me skip awful dungeon queues was clutch.

Also getting myself and 2 others to chainrun all the guildhests back to back completely ignoring mechanics and just burning everything down was awesome as well.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Aphrodite posted:

Thancred's personality doesn't fit his look at all though.

Thancred's a strange mix, which makes sense when you consider his origins.

He's actually Eorzean, unlike many members of the Scions, and was a thief in Limsa Lominsa as a child. He got caught in the act of pickpocketing by Lousioux and was so impressed by him that he followed him all the way back to New Sharlyan and became his student.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheRagamuffin posted:

Exception: Ruin.

You are a saint.

A couple pages back, but the other exception is Stone 1, it gets outclassed by Stone 2, which gets outclassed by Stone 3. Stone 1 still has some utility in PvP though, since it causes heavy (and its not like a healer is going to be doing good DPS anyways!).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I also liked Stone 1 during Amon in Syrcus Tower, but that was pretty much the only other time I ever both wanted heavy and wasn't generally too busy doing other poo poo on WHM.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

So can someone give me a basic breakdown of how gathering collectibles for breakdown works? I haven't had much time to dive into it and I need dawnborne aethersand. All of my DoH are level 60 and I can gear them up pretty easily.

The higher the rating of the item you collect, the better the chance of getting aethersand, and the better the chance of getting the rarer types. It caps out at 550 collectability.

First off, you don't want to burn any GP on the level 56 items, because those always appear on the node and they can't give you land/leafborne sand. Just do Impulsive->Impulsive->Methodical and move on.

For the level 58 and 60 items, you do want to burn GP, but only if you get an Impulsive proc. Follow this flowchart:

If you have enough perception (I don't remember how much but it's pretty low) you should be able to get 550 rating with that.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, C'olonel Sanders brought something to my attention:

All three of those top FCs are goons.

Goons run Barter TownExcalibur. This is why we strongly encourage people to roll on Excalibur. (lift embargo)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/fc/weekly/201601/

Wanted to quote this from pages back, but I think by all metrics the three goon FCs outmatch every other FC on Excalibur, especially PBC and DGKK. TPT is relatively new compared to them but still rank better than every other non-goon FC in terms of membership (the best ranking non-goon FC has around 100 less people than TPT), FC credits, etc etc.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

I also liked Stone 1 during Amon in Syrcus Tower, but that was pretty much the only other time I ever both wanted heavy and wasn't generally too busy doing other poo poo on WHM.

It's also good for A3S because the adds are susceptible to heavy, but it's also unreliable because it does damage and thus can miss.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fister Roboto posted:

The higher the rating of the item you collect, the better the chance of getting aethersand, and the better the chance of getting the rarer types. It caps out at 550 collectability.

First off, you don't want to burn any GP on the level 56 items, because those always appear on the node and they can't give you land/leafborne sand. Just do Impulsive->Impulsive->Methodical and move on.

For the level 58 and 60 items, you do want to burn GP, but only if you get an Impulsive proc. Follow this flowchart:

If you have enough perception (I don't remember how much but it's pretty low) you should be able to get 550 rating with that.
Dawnborne Aethersand is the middle quality of the three, though. Should we be aiming for less than 550 to not get Landborne/whatever the botany equivalent is?

e: also, can mining turn-ins be starred like GC turn-ins? Should I be saving all this Cuprite?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 18, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Fister Roboto posted:

It's also good for A3S because the adds are susceptible to heavy, but it's also unreliable because it does damage and thus can miss.

It's really good there when you're doing 3 melee + bard and no one can heavy so the healers have to heavy the hand for the other healer in the final phase.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ninjas can heavy! They have that one awful ninjutsu that nobody ever uses!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I saw someone say that they were more focused on mobs since they get more exp from enemies than from the actual quest completion. Do you guys agree with that statement? Because I don't think I've ever killed enough enemies to get more than the exp bonus I get from finishing a quest. Excepting the level 1 quests I guess.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I get the appeal of the cross class skills but having to grind THM to 26 for one skill that apparently I'm useless as a whm without kind of sucked a lot of fun out of this game for me. Dungeons levequests and guild heists were fun until they became a chore I need to tick off before I can go back to my main class.

And apparently I'm not done since I need ancarnist at 34 now for eye for an eye

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Digital_Jesus posted:

Thanks to goons I went from 1-50 and finished the MSQ in my first week of owning the game.

Yay. Onward to the Heavansward grind.

Pray Return

Haha, were you the one we did a bunch of guildhests with and took to lv50?

(Anime Catman here)

e: Just read the rest of the thread, it was :v

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 18, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Volume posted:

I get the appeal of the cross class skills but having to grind THM to 26 for one skill that apparently I'm useless as a whm without kind of sucked a lot of fun out of this game for me. Dungeons levequests and guild heists were fun until they became a chore I need to tick off before I can go back to my main class.

You don't need swiftcast at all unless someone dies, and E4E is super optional until you get to 60. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Someone please tell me Lancer gets a little more involved than spamming Impulse Overdrive.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

SonicRulez posted:

I saw someone say that they were more focused on mobs since they get more exp from enemies than from the actual quest completion. Do you guys agree with that statement? Because I don't think I've ever killed enough enemies to get more than the exp bonus I get from finishing a quest. Excepting the level 1 quests I guess.

The only mobs that give an appreciable amount of XP are dungeon mobs. Running dungeons over and over again isn't a bad way to level and may be faster than questing if you're playing a job that has very low queue times.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

No, it's complete bullshit. Quests are far more time efficient than straight up mob grinding. This isn't FF11.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Volume posted:

Swiftcast is not "stop playing if you don't have this" but is a hugely useful and handy quality of life skill. Don't grind THM to get it right this second but put a bit of time in here and there. Hell, just do the guildhest roulette on THM and run the odd roulette or dungeon on the class and you will hit 26 pretty fast.

I don't think anyone is going to give a poo poo if you don't have Eye for an Eye. It makes your life easier, that's all. gently caress, until they added in Deployment Tactics for SCH I usually forgot to cast the drat thing anyway.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Truga posted:

You don't need swiftcast at all unless someone dies, and E4E is super optional until you get to 60. :v:

Swiftcast is great for "oh poo poo" medicas and putting Stoneakin-ga on the party after pulls (gotta give that squishy tank a buffer so I can dps too!)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

poptart_fairy posted:

Someone please tell me Lancer gets a little more involved than spamming Impulse Overdrive.

It gets a little more involved.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

It does. Once you get full thrust (level 24 i want to say?) you spam a 3-move combo instead. And then as you slowly unlock more abilities the class becomes very active and fun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

It gets a lot more involved. Don't judge a class by its early level abilities.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Eventually you get a debuff you need to put up every 30 seconds!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

It gets a lot more involved. Don't judge a class by its early level abilities.

In fairness Lancer has the dumbest, least involved rotation in that level gap between Impulse Drive and Full Thrust. It gets much better.

Pretty much all the physical classes lack the third part of their base combo/priority system before 26 but Lancer is the only one where you can just get a drinking bird to sub in for you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pick up 2 or 6 levels of archer and then you get to also shuffle straight shot and venomous bite. Makes it a lot more bearable :v:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Pick up 2 or 6 levels of archer and then you get to also shuffle straight shot and venomous bite. Makes it a lot more bearable :v:

Also true. It may not be as efficient to cross class poo poo like venomous bite or fracture but gently caress it, have fun with it. Lancer gets pretty fun at 26 and you get jumps as soon as you hit 30 and go DRG so if you like the class concept or just want to pogo around the neighborhood then getting over that hump is the worst part of the whole run.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Marxalot posted:

Haha, were you the one we did a bunch of guildhests with and took to lv50?

(Anime Catman here)

Yeah dude gently caress mechanics. Shits for pussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheers guys. My friend is a Dragoon and she seems to have a ton of fun with the class, but Lancer hasn't made the best initial impression. :v:

• Locked thread