Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The "Spiderman Gif Effect" in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I started playing P4DAN

This game is ridiculous.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Everyone I know who likes Rise, only does so because they like being called "senpai".

:chloe:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Everyone I know who likes Rise, only does so because they like being called "senpai". This does not paint a good picture of you Rise fans.

you can just admit that you're referring to yourself, we're all friends here.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yes, HellCopter-senpai!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anatharon posted:

I started playing P4DAN

This game is ridiculous.

whatever do you mean :confused:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

HellCopter posted:

Everyone I know who likes Rise, only does so because they like being called "senpai". This does not paint a good picture of you Rise fans.

actually it's because laura bailey, hth.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tales From The Borderlands is just Kanji and Rise's Excellent Adventure.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Really Pants posted:

whatever do you mean :confused:

You sound like you think I'm saying that like it's a bad thing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

There is a functioning world map this time. Not only can you actually see where you are going, the bottom screen lists location names. Destination markers also appear on the map to show you where to go.

There's options to adjust the volume of the BGM, sound effects, and voice acting. Thank gently caress for that, says the guy who's been playing Xenoblade X for a month.

Final comes out on February 10th in Japan, and after it's out then Atlus will have exhausted all its big Winter releases and can finally start hyping up Persona 5. Haha, just kidding, look forward to Etrian Odyssey 5 news in March kids!

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 18, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

making the map better alone would have made smt4 so much better, so I'm glad they realized how bad it was

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"A functioning map" already means it is a better game than SMT4.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Other SMT4F Stuff:
  • DDS cards can be sent out via spotpass instead of just streetpass. You can still use the demon you attach to your card in combat and in fusion though, so that's nice.
  • An in-game encyclopedia exists to help you keep track of people, places and things. It specifically says it'll help players who haven't played SMT4, so hopefully that means there won't be too much exposition of what happened in that game here.
  • Demon conversations can continue in another battle like in Raidou 2 and Soul Hackers (I think?), so that should make recruiting a bit easier on you.
  • You can do the classic "Just pick two demons from the menu and fuse them" instead of having to go through the fusion search system. The fusion search system is still there though, and now with an added level search parameter.
  • Navarre can fly around and smite lower level enemies for you, and there's a dedicated Estoma icon on the touch screen you can press (if you have a demon that knows estoma and has the MP for it). There's an actual Estoma spell this time too, not just that Estoma Sword nonsense from SMT4.
  • There's a map navigation icon on the touch screen that works as a pause feature. It'll let you scroll through the map on the bottom screen, as well as give you a break to look at the environments without enemies popping up and mauling you to death. Which, I mean, I know it's a 3DS game, but it's pretty impressive the amount of detail they managed to squeeze into the game''s backgrounds, you know?
  • Icons will show you if a NPC has any unread dialogue for you to view, both on the dialogue select menu and on the map screen.
  • All the "Can I change Megidolaon into Agi?/Here's a Me Patra Stone/etc" post level-up dialogue seems to have been moved to a specific menu for you to peruse at your leisure instead of being forced on you right after battle.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I like all those changes. I still need to finish SMT4 Classic though.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

TurnipFritter posted:

There is a functioning world map this time. Not only can you actually see where you are going, the bottom screen lists location names. Destination markers also appear on the map to show you where to go.

The only good thing about SMT 4's map is that its weird and confusing nature gave you more time to listen to the awesome map music, which is the best map theme in the series next to Soul Hackers and the endgame of Persona 3...

TurnipFritter posted:

Haha, just kidding, look forward to Etrian Odyssey 5 news in March kids!

Totally OK with that, as much as I want Persona 5 I want EO5 just as much and will probably like it a lot better in the end

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

quote:

Navarre can fly around and smite lower level enemies for you

What a bro.

Maybe I'll finish SMTIV at one point, but it's really hard to know what and where to go if you haven't played in a while

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If they don't get Liam O Brien back for Navarre then they should retroactively stop the game from being made in Japan

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Baal posted:

If they don't get Laura Bailey back for Nozomi then they should retroactively stop the game from being made in Japan

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll find suitable replacements for the actors such as the Burch family and give them some amazing voice direction that prevent horribly flat lines just like in hit game Dancing All Night.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm sure they'll have more that 3 weeks to record this time

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It is scary how perfect that fits.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

It is scary how perfect that fits.

I have to watch this every time it gets posted I have a problem.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
I just beat Dancing All Night and I liked it but what the gently caress was that

Edit: The game I mean, not the All Star video which fits all too well

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was an attempt at making a serious story in a game that did not need one

It says a lot that the game goes into space and the story still keeps trying to be serious

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's a fine story that uses the setting to its advantage to build on the themes of p4

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Baal posted:

It was an attempt at making a serious story in a game that did not need one

It says a lot that the game goes into space and the story still keeps trying to be serious

The game goes into space?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cake Attack posted:

The game goes into space?

Sorta, yeah. The end of that game is all kinds of weird.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It goes to into a space between reality and a dream, consciousness and subconscious.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Velvet Dancehall?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

does it just become space channel 5 in the end game or what

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Unfortunately, Ulala only appears as a costume for Margaret.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i don't remember it going into space i think you launch to the top of a giant persona or something

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At the end of the game the new generic god monster of the game goes up into space far beyond the reach of the characters for anyone to stop them. Using the power of friendship, Rise creates a platform that rises into space to meet the god monster and they dance off against it in space to kill it.

It would be hilarious and awesome if the game just shut the gently caress up about shoving its dumb message down your throat that it doesn't even handle well.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

The Velvet Dancehall?

I mean that's in there too but that's not what they're talking about.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SMT4 final is that close? I feel like it was barely hyped. All those changes seem nice though. I liked SMT4 a lot.

Fire Emblem, SMT4, Bravely Default... Didn't those all come out together the first time around too or am I remembering wrong

Also If Persona 5 doesn't come out in 2016 and isn't a good game I am flying to japan and flipping off Atlus HQ

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Baal posted:

At the end of the game the new generic god monster of the game goes up into space far beyond the reach of the characters for anyone to stop them. Using the power of friendship, Rise creates a platform that rises into space to meet the god monster and they dance off against it in space to kill it.

How could you possibly gently caress that up

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

SMT4 final is that close? I feel like it was barely hyped. All those changes seem nice though. I liked SMT4 a lot.

Fire Emblem, SMT4, Bravely Default... Didn't those all come out together the first time around too or am I remembering wrong

Also If Persona 5 doesn't come out in 2016 and isn't a good game I am flying to japan and flipping off Atlus HQ

they aren't gonna advertise it everywhere just because the japanese release is close. I don't think they've said anything about the international release

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

SMT4F had a Famitsu cover, multiple live streams, and a lot of twitter campaigning for those streams (ie, "if we get enough retweets we'll do this!"). It didn't get much hype in the sense that they announced and released it on a sensible time table.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Baal posted:

It would be hilarious and awesome if the game just shut the gently caress up about shoving its dumb message down your throat that it doesn't even handle well.

What's the dumb message this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Second verse, same as the first

Or in this case fourth

It also tries to kind of shed some of the darker spots of being an idol, but it doesn't really ever push all the way through with them or even kinda try to condemn the idol business so much as the guilt and blame for it is foisted off onto a manager who is also portrayed as everything being out of their hands. Also the lyrics to the game's climactic song are loving boring and have no real bite to them for a song that's supposed to have been about this girl's sadness and depression that ultimately led to her killing herself. The game's story as a whole really lacks any sort of teeth to it and a lot of its attempts to be dark and moody just ring as shallow and repeating the steps they've already been repeating.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 20, 2016