Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Balon posted:

You run both relic and claws in the case relic gets needled

pretty sure the actual reason they run both is because they want more relics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

pretty sure the actual reason they run both is because they want more relics

Yeah the card isn't high impact enough to get needeled by anything other than MAYBE Goryo's Vengeance.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7VQUf6jH8

Tom LaPille, April 2015 answers the question of how they would freshen up Modern for the Pro Tour: "I think Eric Lauer would come out of the tank and say, 'ban Splinter Twin and Summer Bloom.'" Goddamn lol.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
So I appear to have missed the boat already on the new eldrazi deck. It looks cool, but especially the land for it is insane at the moment. When do you buy things in Modern for a deck?

It seems like the eldrazi deck went from unknown and dirt cheap to suddenly almost 700$ in the span of a few weeks. The market price jumps in this game are massive and sudden.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chairman Pow! posted:

So I appear to have missed the boat already on the new eldrazi deck. It looks cool, but especially the land for it is insane at the moment. When do you buy things in Modern for a deck?

It seems like the eldrazi deck went from unknown and dirt cheap to suddenly almost 700$ in the span of a few weeks. The market price jumps in this game are massive and sudden.

Historically, November/December.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Count Bleck posted:

I still think the Colorless 'Aggro' deck Chapin made has potential to be really good.

Or at least very fun.

Matter Reshaper with multiple X creatures is terrible.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah I was wondering about that too. Reshaper didn't really seem to belong. I'm not crazy about Titans Presence either, I feel like this strategy would be better if you dipped into red for Vile Aggregate and some reach like Wild Slash and Exquisite Firecraft. Although I'm probably just looking for an excuse to play Firecraft because I like it.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 18, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

En Fuego posted:

You likely already realize this, but as a general point, do note that you always have the option of putting the card into your hand even if it meets the criteria to be put into play. It's a may effect. Obviously this is less exciting but it still gives you value.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

En Fuego posted:

You can choose to not put it on the field.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Oh ok I actually did misread that and overlook the "may"

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Bread Set Jettison posted:

You can choose to not put it on the field.

Yes I see that, but the inherent bonus of it is lost.

I think I'd rather run a BR Eldrazi deck, TBH.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

En Fuego posted:

You still draw the card, but yeah it is a little odd and maybe not the best.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

En Fuego posted:

I've been attempting to brew a decent BR Ghostfire Blade aggro deck and my main conclusion so far is that I really wish we still had Sulfurous Springs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone want to try to explain this?:

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/odyssey/mindslicer

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

EDH?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

A couple of people priced it really high to make it look like it spiked.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Remember when the Eldrazi modern deck was cheap? Those were cool times. That deck would have been dirt loving cheap (comparatively speaking) about 6 months ago when Marsh Flats wasn't 45 bucks, Inquisition wasn't 25 bucks a pop and Eye of Eugene wasn't $45. Now, its just as expensive as anything else and I expect Path to Exile to get gross soon enough, too.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Remember when the Eldrazi modern deck was cheap? Those were cool times. That deck would have been dirt loving cheap (comparatively speaking) about 6 months ago when Marsh Flats wasn't 45 bucks, Inquisition wasn't 25 bucks a pop and Eye of Eugene wasn't $45. Now, its just as expensive as anything else and I expect Path to Exile to get gross soon enough, too.

chaos reigns

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I mean, it has cool art.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

It sucks, but that's inevitable. Any decent Modern deck is going to be expensive, because if it's cheap, demand will be huge and prices will spike rapidly. The only way to lower the price of modern is to increase the supply, otherwise the only way to find a good tier 1 deck for cheap is to find it before anyone else does.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

Eye of Eugene

I don't care if this an autocorrect or not, I'm using this forever.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Angry Grimace posted:

I expect Path to Exile to get gross soon enough, too.

Excellent! I have 15 from the first modern masters. I will unload a bunch of them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cactrot posted:

Eugene, The Spit-Draggin'.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Entropic posted:

I mean, it has cool art.

I had it as a fun of in a jund value pod deck. Sac mindslicer, hands go and then thundermaw/storm-breath hits the battlefield :getin:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cactrot posted:

That's his government name - Eugene Thespiri t'Dragon. You can see why he goes by his street name, Ugin.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nicole and Eugene never did manage to play nicely with one another.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I just looked at my order history from TCG, I bought an Eye of Ugin September 4th for 2 dollars. If only I'd known, I'd have bought 100 more.

MTG really does feel like putting money into the stock market, you can invest in certain cards and the market fluctuates based on what gets printed/reprinted/banned. Things like Duals and power, if you can buy them, seem like much safer investments than most stocks, their value rises steadily but slowly. You can also buy a bunch of "penny stocks" and if one of them happens to do well you can make a mint. I'm not sure what Wizards policy is on employees purchasing cards from other sources but I hope it's structured to prevent insider trading. The main difference between MTG and the stock exchange is that it's kind of a hassle to sell your magic cards and get a fair price for them. I guess Ebay is the best way to do it.

On the other hand it's kind of dumb to compare magic to the stock market because these are actual play pieces to a game that people want to play and they can't because a competitive modern deck costs $1000. I guess it's analagous to sports in some way. If your opponent has more expensive, higher quality equipment you can still win but it requires a great deal of skill to make up the discrepancy. You will almost never beat someone who has higher or equal skill AND better equipment. You can liken Standard rotations to sports equipment wearing out and needing replacement. I only do Limited and Commander, I don't have the money or inclination to buy in to Legacy or Modern or Standard, but I still find the formats interesting to follow.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 18, 2016

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
I guess I was spoiled by playing Pokemon with my kid. Basically any cool looking deck that shows up in tournaments can be had for 100$ or less. Then you actually get to use the cool game cards you saw, and play the game.

Its so weird the whole financial part being tied to an actual game that I want to play and have fun with.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

There is zero reason for Inquisition to not be a FNM promo so at minimum.

If I was hoping for more "Summer of Modern" promos, it should be Inquisition and Spell Snare.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Lets Pickle posted:

I just looked at my order history from TCG, I bought an Eye of Ugin September 4th for 2 dollars. If only I'd known, I'd have bought 100 more.

MTG really does feel like putting money into the stock market, you can invest in certain cards and the market fluctuates based on what gets printed/reprinted/banned. Things like Duals and power, if you can buy them, seem like much safer investments than most stocks, their value rises steadily but slowly. You can also buy a bunch of "penny stocks" and if one of them happens to do well you can make a mint. I'm not sure what Wizards policy is on employees purchasing cards from other sources but I hope it's structured to prevent insider trading. The main difference between MTG and the stock exchange is that it's kind of a hassle to sell your magic cards and get a fair price for them. I guess Ebay is the best way to do it.

On the other hand it's kind of dumb to compare magic to the stock market because these are actual play pieces to a game that people want to play and they can't because a competitive modern deck costs $1000. I guess it's analagous to sports in some way. If your opponent has more expensive, higher quality equipment you can still win but it requires a great deal of skill to make up the discrepancy. You will almost never beat someone who has higher or equal skill AND better equipment. You can liken Standard rotations to sports equipment wearing out and needing replacement. I only do Limited and Commander, I don't have the money or inclination to buy in to Legacy or Modern or Standard, but I still find the formats interesting to follow.

Revised duals have actually steadily dropped since their spike a few years ago.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

Revised duals have actually steadily dropped since their spike a few years ago.

Volcanic Island still is 160 dollars for heavily played at the least and no one is going to be moving that any time soon.

On a random note, I'm glad we have so many smaller Eldrazi now. Innistrad plus a little of both Zendikars make for the sickest Bloodborne themed cube ever. I hope we get some cool hunter-like creatures in Soy.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I loving hate mtgfinance but since the spike was so quick I don't know what to do with them.

I have 4 Fulminator Mages and could possibly sell them for £25 each, should I sell them or hold on to them?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

On a random note, I'm glad we have so many smaller Eldrazi now. Innistrad plus a little of both Zendikars make for the sickest Bloodborne themed cube ever. I hope we get some cool hunter-like creatures in Soy.

I never thought of this and I'm ashamed of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Samael posted:

I loving hate mtgfinance but since the spike was so quick I don't know what to do with them.

I have 4 Fulminator Mages and could possibly sell them for £25 each, should I sell them or hold on to them?

Fullminator Mage is 25 bucks TCG Low and 27.50 SCG Buylist. Hold. It's gonna be 50 bucks in a week.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
God drat I'm tempted to cash my Karns out now at 70 bucks each. In fact this Tron/Eldrazi price spike has me wanting to cash all kinds of things out.

How the gently caress is eye of ugin at 45 dollars?!?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I never thought of this and I'm ashamed of it.

My main complaint is that the exile vs graveyard resource stuff doesn't come through as nicely as I'd like. Also that it's kind of hard to make white as interesting as the other colors, but that's mostly because white has a stick up its butt and just wants to be the good guy.

Deranged Assistant makes such a lovely servant for Kozilek's brood though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

My main complaint is that the exile vs graveyard resource stuff doesn't come through as nicely as I'd like. Also that it's kind of hard to make white as interesting as the other colors, but that's mostly because white has a stick up its butt and just wants to be the good guy.

Deranged Assistant makes such a lovely servant for Kozilek's brood though.

Shame Penumbra Spider isn't an Innistrad card.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So I've got a modern Eldrazi ramp into Titans deck I've built since the BFZ prerelease. The only creatures in it are true colorless, and all of the Annihilator Eldrazi play a prominent role. It isn't great, but in the few times I've played it against someone else, it's done well. Will I get utterly stomped at FNM , or is it more casual than the GP scene?

Generally speaking, of course. I'm sure it varies on a store by store basis.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Kilo147 posted:

So I've got a modern Eldrazi ramp into Titans deck I've built since the BFZ prerelease. The only creatures in it are true colorless, and all of the Annihilator Eldrazi play a prominent role. It isn't great, but in the few times I've played it against someone else, it's done well. Will I get utterly stomped at FNM , or is it more casual than the GP scene?

Generally speaking, of course. I'm sure it varies on a store by store basis.

FNM is supposed to be more casual. The flatter the payout for the entry fee, the more casual it should be. If it's free entry and win a box prizing, it'll be full of grinders. If it's 5 dollar entry, everyone gets a pack, 1st gets 3 extra, second gets 2 extra, 3rd gets 1, it should be more casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Shame Penumbra Spider isn't an Innistrad card.

Might be worth tossing in and seeing how it does. I just started with Innistrad and Eldrazi as a kicking off point. I should go around the earlier sets and see if anything particularly fitting does pop up. I know Lorwyn and Shadowmoor at least had some hosed up white monstrosities to toss in.

edit: Oh right, the white blue exile until end of turn plus processor synergy might be interesting.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 19, 2016

• Locked thread