Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

Pick up 2 or 6 levels of archer and then you get to also shuffle straight shot and venomous bite. Makes it a lot more bearable :v:

If it weren't level 42, Death Blossom would be filler AoE until you can't use it anymore. (Annoyed that I already had everything up to 30+ by the time Rogue came out. PGL and LNC could have used some of that AoE.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Cheers guys. My friend is a Dragoon and she seems to have a ton of fun with the class, but Lancer hasn't made the best initial impression. :v:

Yeah, it's undeniably boring, to the point where it feels like you must be doing something wrong, but nope. That's just low level lancer.

However, just like being gay, it gets better

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

However, just like being gay, it gets better

Also, there's a ton of thrusting.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Dawnborne Aethersand is the middle quality of the three, though. Should we be aiming for less than 550 to not get Landborne/whatever the botany equivalent is?

e: also, can mining turn-ins be starred like GC turn-ins? Should I be saving all this Cuprite?

You still want to go for as much rarity as possible since land/leafborne is very rare and, correct me if I'm wrong, you more likely to get multiple dawnebornes. And if you do get the rare stuff you can always MB it.

Some scrip turn ins, including cuprite, can be starred but adamantite/chysahl and the lower red scrip one never are.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

Cheers guys. My friend is a Dragoon and she seems to have a ton of fun with the class, but Lancer hasn't made the best initial impression. :v:

Just to give you a heads up as to how the class will play: Dragoon at 50 will have you go between two combos - the first starts off impulse drive, which puts up a debuff that reduces the target's piercing resistance (good for you, bards and machinists!), and a DoT. The second is the basic thrust damage combo, and you do this while weaving in your jumps oGCD. At 60, you get an ability called blood of the dragon which improves your jump power, and gives you access to two combo "finishers" that are randomly picked after you finish either if your impulse / thrust combos, and the damage they do is position-dependent (one is on the flank, one is behind).

Dragoon is a really fun class, and can do fantastic single target DPS with some okay group utility. I agree that at an early level, you have to spam impulse drive and it's boring as all hell.

Speaking of DRG, I ran a 60dr yesterday, and had a i160ish DRG there. He averaged 400dps, and didn't use blood of the dragon at all. When I run trial roulette as a DRG, I can easily beat that with level 50 bosses :stare:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A lot of bad players refuse to use any of the new class mechanics because they're too complicated for them. Black mages who don't use enochian, summoners who don't use DWT, bards that don't turn on WM, etc.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Digital_Jesus posted:

lmao like I've watched a single cutscene yet.

For shame. FFXIV is all about the story and the cutscenes, and if you're not paying attention to the story and watching the cutscenes, you might as well go play wow instead. If you skip the cutscene in the last quest in the last Heavensward zone before you get flying in the zone.. well, I feel sorry for you.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, DRG is in some ways a very pure physical DPS. You don't have branching combos coming from a single starter, you have two distinct and non-overlapping combos that both see use. The complexity comes from maintaining your DOTs and off-GCD skills while you do those two combos. If anything it actually gets a bit simpler at 60 (excepting Geirskogul) without feeling like it lost anything in the extra 10 levels.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So are the primals the bad guys or is that a religious conversation that nobody is prepared to have?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

SonicRulez posted:

So are the primals the bad guys or is that a religious conversation that nobody is prepared to have?

This is a question that is answered pretty unambiguously throughout the course of the original 1-50 MSQ. Primals, by sustaining their very existence, drain aether away from the world. Aether is how the world continues existing in a pre-apocalyptic state instead of a post-apocalyptic state. There's more subtleties involved in terms of the agency of the people and the primals themselves, but to some extent that's one of the plot threads of Heavensward and I'd rather not outright spoil that for you since it sounds like you haven't gotten there yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm playing Lancer too and at level 14 I'm just constantly doing the True/Vorpal Thrust combo with the occasional Leg Sweep thrown in to interrupt enemy specials or up my DPS for a turn. I'm guessing this pierce-debuff everyone means is actually the Disembowel/Impulse Drive combo?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SonicRulez posted:

Not really? They are formed by a gathering of aether crystals and a belief of who/what they are by the group of people that do that gathering.

They are kind of like nukes created by desperate factions who feel they have no other choice.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Some primals are big meany heads who want to destroy/enslave all other people of the world.

Some primals are defensive in nature and only want to protect their followers from their enemies.

All primals drain the life from the world by existing so they all must be removed if summoned.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

I'm playing Lancer too and at level 14 I'm just constantly doing the True/Vorpal Thrust combo with the occasional Leg Sweep thrown in to interrupt enemy specials or up my DPS for a turn. I'm guessing this pierce-debuff everyone means is actually the Disembowel/Impulse Drive combo?

Yep. Impulse Drive comes shortly and is just a medium potency attack (our comments about Lancer being boring is that Impulse spam is higher DPS than True/Vorpal without also having Full to finish).

Disembowel is the debuff and chains off Impulse. Chaos Thrust is a very high potency attack/DoT that finishes that combo but you don't get the ability until 50.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm a little bored at work today, so I decided to cliffnote all the stuff 3.2 will bring:

- Gnath beast tribe quests. The writer of the Vanu quests is doing Gnath as well.
- 2 new dungeons: The Antitower and Lost City of Ampador (hard). The Antitower is part of the MSQ.
- New trial: The Warring Triad Sephirot. Has a falling mechanic and will be flashy like ThordEX.
- Alexander: Midas normal and savage will be added
- New PvP called The Feast, similar to Wolves' Den but is to be more 'sporty' as opposed to a deathmatch.
- Orchestrion aka jukebox is being added.
- Hall of the novice / mentor system / dummy training mode added. Dummy training mode is basically "can you complete a DPS check"
- The allagan tomestone of lore will be added. The gear bought from this has materia slots.
- You'll be able to sell items from your retainers directly now (thank god)
- In flying zones, the minimap will show differences in elevation, and will have a Z-axis point now too.
- 4K support is being added.
- More ground mounts will be able to fly, and Allagan / High Allagan gear will be dyeable.
- The new craftable gear in 3.2 will be strong and new accessories can have advanced melds.
- Diadem will require less currents to unlock flying. The amount of i210 gear dropping will decrease somehow. There will be other balances to help facilitate gathering in Diadem.
- Of course, Gordias savage difficulty will be adjusted.

3.3 so far is going to add more housing, and Ishgard will get apartments (I guess the Elezen worry about gentrification). ARR beast tribe FATEs should get adjusted to appear more often, but no mention when they're coming out.

edit: I misread something. Oops!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 18, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They haven't said that they're adjusting the difficulty of Gordias Savage. Also the primal is Sephirot the Fiend, not Sephiroth. Big difference.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Selling from retainer storage directly? There is going to be a fire sale on old crafting materials people have been too lazy to remove and sell (like me).

Sounds like a good patch though. I look forward to uncapped Esos when they add the new tome, I have seven farthings I haven't bought pieces to upgrade yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So do they plan to release an HD UI with that 4k upgrade because if not how do they expect people to be able to read anything? 1440p is already straining my eyesight.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tortolia posted:

Selling from retainer storage directly? There is going to be a fire sale on old crafting materials people have been too lazy to remove and sell (like me).

Sounds like a good patch though. I look forward to uncapped Esos when they add the new tome, I have seven farthings I haven't bought pieces to upgrade yet.

You can already sell stuff in retainer inventory on the market board, this is to vendors directly. Basically all those old mats and gear that you don't need but don't want to go through the effort of moving to your inventory to sell / remove it can now be easily disposed of.

I also haven't read anything about uncapping Esos (I'm assuming they will), and they'll probably still keep law tomes around, so that means there will be 4 different tomesets you get to gather!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Belzac posted:

Some primals are big meany heads who want to destroy/enslave all other people of the world.

Some primals are defensive in nature and only want to protect their followers from their enemies.

All primals drain the life from the world by existing so they all must be removed if summoned.

This is what I figured. The lore got interesting with me with Ifrit. Like the universe got older in a more tangible way than with Bahamut in the opener. It felt like Ifrit was kind of a jerk, but at the same time, he kinda didn't ask to be summoned? And it's not quite his fault that his existence is threatening to all life in Eorzea? I'm getting more and more into this game and my wallet is giving me dirty looks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tortolia posted:

Can already do that. I think this is vendoring poo poo.

e:fb

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Primals are very much like Warhammer gods where if you believe in something strong enough and have enough energies you can summon literally anything. Ifrit acts as his followers believe he would act and it can be argued he has no say in the matter, he's just a bundle of sentient energies given form and purpose by his followers. His followers want him to be a warmonger and enslaver so that's what he is.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

SonicRulez posted:

It felt like Ifrit was kind of a jerk, but at the same time, he kinda didn't ask to be summoned?

The very first time he was summoned sure, but after that he tempered anyone he came across so that they basically had no choice but to try to summon him back when he's defeated. Fighting him in 2.0 is not the first time he's ever been summoned (cause he was fought in 1.0) so at this point he didn't so much ask to be summoned as demand it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

- Lost City of Ampador (hard).
- Orchestrion aka jukebox is being added.

:neckbeard:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I always forget list from retainer inventory is a separate menu option, but straight to vendor works too.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Primals aren't summoned from anywhere else -- they're created when the collected intentions and prayers of desperate people collect in the aether and congeal into a being. The Ifrit you fight is a reflection of the Amal'jaa's memories and preconceptions of whatever the original Ifrit was.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So do they plan to release an HD UI with that 4k upgrade because if not how do they expect people to be able to read anything? 1440p is already straining my eyesight.

You can already scale just about the entire UI up to 140% normal size. Check out the /uiscale command. The weird things are the chat log (you have to individually set the font size for the chat text entry field and each individual tab) and the NPC speech box, which cannot be changed no matter what you do.

So hopefully they'll increase the maximum UI size to 200% and fix the NPC speech box to be resizable. Beyond that the game already "supports" 4K although you'd need a pretty beefy graphics card to actually play at that resolution.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ramuh's a bit weird since he's a 'calmer' Primal who doesn't like tempering his subjects but it just happens anyway because of his nature.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ramuh's a bit weird since he's a 'calmer' Primal who doesn't like tempering his subjects but it just happens anyway because of his nature.

The sylphs were kind of "me too!" about summoning their Primal and are less brutal in general, so Ramuh doesn't really have the same level of aggressive impulse. He basically just embodies the sylphs' desire to keep those nasty humans out of their forest.

Also his music is great and purple pony gets a lot of use from me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fister Roboto posted:

A lot of bad players refuse to use any of the new class mechanics because they're too complicated for them. Black mages who don't use enochian, summoners who don't use DWT, bards that don't turn on WM, etc.

Why the hell would you not use DWT? It's literally free damage for doing stuff you're already doing. Enochian has some tricks to it to get 100% uptime, but you could still fire and forget it if you're having problems with your rotation. Bards who don't use WM are just bad people.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kwyndig posted:

Why the hell would you not use DWT? It's literally free damage for doing stuff you're already doing. Enochian has some tricks to it to get 100% uptime, but you could still fire and forget it if you're having problems with your rotation. Bards who don't use WM are just bad people.

Some people just stop putting skills on when it doesn't fit their controller / default skill bar.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I really hope that when they mean more ground mounts will fly, it means primal ponies will get wings so I can listen to Oblivion even in Heavensward zones.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I want a "resummon most recent mount" button so if mount roulette gives me a mount with a song I like, I don't have to manually re-mount that same specific mount in order to continue hearing that song if I have to hop off the mount to do something.

I'd still have the roulette option if I wanted something different/random, but it would be a nice little bit of QoL change for when you want the option of continuing to hear a specific song which was originally randomly chosen.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

You can already scale just about the entire UI up to 140% normal size. Check out the /uiscale command. The weird things are the chat log (you have to individually set the font size for the chat text entry field and each individual tab) and the NPC speech box, which cannot be changed no matter what you do.

So hopefully they'll increase the maximum UI size to 200% and fix the NPC speech box to be resizable. Beyond that the game already "supports" 4K although you'd need a pretty beefy graphics card to actually play at that resolution.

You cant really increase speech bubble size which is the big issue. Everything else can be scaled with some blurry results but nothing can improve the speech bubble, at most you can increase the story text in chat and read it there but its unwieldy.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Surecast is absolutely not useless.

What's it good for? As far as I can tell, the only thing it lets you do is cast through an attack that would do enough damage to cancel your castbar. And the number of instances where you know that's coming, can't avoid it, and can spare the time to use Surecast is basically zero.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's good for some raids, but in regular content it's not going to be of any use, yeah.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Ninjas can heavy! They have that one awful ninjutsu that nobody ever uses!

Not so much actually. The awful ninjutsu nobody uses is a bind. The heavy is part of Doton.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Two questions. Gotta ask about armor again. I'm level 25 so I started the level 25 Rogue guildquest. You have to go to Costa del Sol which is a level 30 area. I wanted to try my luck, so I aggro'd one of the normally peaceful enemies. Got #rekt. Lookin at my gear, my stabbers are alright, but some of my armor is definitely not level 25. Should I buy gear to even things out? I was told earlier that I should get by on quest rewards. I don't wanna get my rear end kicked though.

Other question. I saw in the Party Finder that a guy wanted to grind Odin for his gear. He specifically mentioned either being or looking for unsynched. What difference does it make if your level is synched? You still get treasure don't you? I have in all the dungeons I've been to and I've been synched every time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The answer to everything you ask is stop asking questions and go do your MSQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
How paranoid should I be about leveling new classes in the future? I'm trucking through the starting line in Gridania and snapping up every quest I see, but of course when I want to swap out this hard leather Lancer fetish wear for something a little more flattering that means no quests to fill the gap. Are guileves and hests enough to make up the difference, or should I start leaving non-story sidequests undone to pick up later?

• Locked thread