Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Booked a trip to the UAE and Italy all on points. I'll need AED in UAE and euros in Italy. Is there a credit card with no for-ex fees that doesn't charge a cash advance fee at foreign ATMs? Are there any American banks that allow fee free debit card withdrawals from foreign ATMs?

I have the pen fed platinum rewards visa, I've read conflicting info about cash advance fees for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I don't know of any fee free cash advance credit cards. But Charles Schwab allows fee free debt card withdrawals (which is what we used) and if you're with a credit union that refunds ATM fees, mine includes foreign ATM's in that.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

My Wells Fargo debit card (so really my bank account) covers ATM fees, but then again my credit card with them (the WF By Invitation, but I think the PropelWorld does the same) has no ForEx fees so I just use that. I've never heard of a free cash advance.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Has anyone downgraded a Chase card with an annual fee lately? They declined my request to downgrade my British Airways card to a Freedom, and stated I can't have more than one card of the same product type anymore...

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Is the Amex premiere rewards gold card worthwhile?

I have a 50k offer, although I'd prefer the 100K platinum - if I accept the 50k does that mean I won't be offered the platinum ever?

I basically just use a CSP for everything at this point

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Vomik posted:

Is the Amex premiere rewards gold card worthwhile?

I have a 50k offer, although I'd prefer the 100K platinum - if I accept the 50k does that mean I won't be offered the platinum ever?

I basically just use a CSP for everything at this point

I don't think anyone has any idea about how Amex targets the 100k plat offer or targets offers in general. The Amex PRG 50k/1k may be the best offer currently available. 50k points with only 1k in spend required, $200 airline credit, and no annual fee make it ridiculous value and you don't have any upfront investment. The card has good 3x and 2x categories, slightly better than CSP with 3x on flights, slightly worse in missing a broad travel category. You also get another card with Amex offers, which can be worth anywhere from a small amount to quite a bit dependent on how lucky you are. I don't think I'd pay the annual fee, but first year should be free.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'd be a bit more concerned with AmEx bonus points rather than other factors, seeing as how they're once per lifetime now. 100k is the best the plat has ever been and best it ever likely will be in the future, while 50k is just ok for the PRG.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

SiGmA_X posted:

Has anyone downgraded a Chase card with an annual fee lately? They declined my request to downgrade my British Airways card to a Freedom, and stated I can't have more than one card of the same product type anymore...

I've never been allowed to downgrade my partner-branded cards into a bank-branded card.

What constitutes a "product type?" I have both the SW Plus and Premier card with them, having renewed the Premier card in December.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone ever disputed a price difference for event tickets? I bought tickets for a show and the price went down substantially.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

asur posted:

I don't think anyone has any idea about how Amex targets the 100k plat offer or targets offers in general. The Amex PRG 50k/1k may be the best offer currently available. 50k points with only 1k in spend required, $200 airline credit, and no annual fee make it ridiculous value and you don't have any upfront investment. The card has good 3x and 2x categories, slightly better than CSP with 3x on flights, slightly worse in missing a broad travel category. You also get another card with Amex offers, which can be worth anywhere from a small amount to quite a bit dependent on how lucky you are. I don't think I'd pay the annual fee, but first year should be free.

How are you getting the 50K/1K PRG offer to show up? I'm only seeing 25K/2K :(

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pissingintowind posted:

Incognito mode can show it, but I don't know if it's only targeted at the moment.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pissingintowind posted:

I got it a couple months ago. Guy I quoted said it was targeted though reading FT people seem to have gotten that offer recently using incognito. Some people are saying that Amex has gotten smarter and you should use incognito and a browser that you've never logged into Amex with. I hsve no idea if that makes a difference.

I agree with Barry in principle, but I don't believe the PRG has been above 50k in 3 years. Do research on Amex bonuses before signing up, but at the same time waiting may never payoff:

asur
Dec 28, 2012
edit: double post

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

asur posted:

I agree with Barry in principle, but I don't believe the PRG has been above 50k in 3 years. Do research on Amex bonuses before signing up, but at the same time waiting may never payoff:

I think you're right, it's entirely possible that 75k ship has sailed. Personally I'm ok waiting for it, plenty of other cards to go through in the meantime.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I got an amex platinum offer in the mail with the 100k/3k spend. I see a lot of talk about amex 100k signup - is that the one? It doesn't say anything about waiving the first year fee and it was like 295 or 495. Does that fee get waived?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Massasoit posted:

I got an amex platinum offer in the mail with the 100k/3k spend. I see a lot of talk about amex 100k signup - is that the one? It doesn't say anything about waiving the first year fee and it was like 295 or 495. Does that fee get waived?

Yes, it's the one. No the fee doesn't get waived. Yes, it's totally worth it.

My husband and I got so much mileage out of the benefits, we're talking about keeping it after the first year.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
I'm going back and forth between keeping the Premier Rewards Gold card and the Platinum. I just can't find enough to justify the additional cost. I don't use SPG Gold, FHR, or the Centurion Lounges, and the PRG gets the same loss protection as the Platinum now; I don't know that it's worth the extra $150.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

asur posted:

FYI the PRG only gets a $100 airline credit. The Platinum is the one that gets a $200 airline credit.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

pig slut lisa posted:

FYI the PRG only gets a $100 airline credit. The Platinum is the one that gets a $200 airline credit.

Sorry, meant $200 in total. The credit is per calendar year so you'd have the opportunity to recieve 2, and in a few cases 3, credits while only maintaining the card for a single year with no annual fee in the case of the PRG.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Rurutia posted:

Yes, it's the one. No the fee doesn't get waived. Yes, it's totally worth it.

My husband and I got so much mileage out of the benefits, we're talking about keeping it after the first year.

I haven't really used any of the benefits yet and it looks like the points aren't transferrable to partner hotels/airlines which kinda sucks. What benefits have you been using a lot?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Tyro posted:

I haven't really used any of the benefits yet and it looks like the points aren't transferrable to partner hotels/airlines which kinda sucks. What benefits have you been using a lot?

International travel mostly. We take yearly month long international vacations. In order of love, Global Entry (basically just skip past immigraton AND customs, crazy), Priority Pass (long international layovers are really rough without lounges), $200 airline credit (we used this on airline gift cards to then book a flight), Hilton and SPG Gold means that the couple times we booked a lovely hotel under those companies we got upgraded to a King deluxe room, Boingo wifi (meh). We also used it for the purchase protection stuff like extended warranty.

Points are transferable here

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 19, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Tyro posted:

The points are transferrable to a ton of partners, not sure where you're seeing that. I've been sending mine to BA and will get ~4 RT domestic tickets for myself and my girlfriend.

The Platinum AF is really only worth paying if you actually travel a good amount.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Barry posted:

The points are transferable to a ton of partners, not sure where you're seeing that. I've been sending mine to BA and will get ~4 RT domestic tickets for myself and my girlfriend.

The Platinum AF is really only worth paying if you actually travel a good amount.

If you're sending the points to BA are you then redeeming the domestic tickets on AA? Do you still have to call in to do that?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That's great that the points are transferable, maybe I misread the chart in the program agreement booklet, it looked to me like they weren't. That would probably be the big thing that would make the card worthwhile to keep for a few years for me.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pissingintowind posted:

I got it through the mail - but I also see it every single time I've checked incognito. I wonder if AmEx has figured out a way to show that it knows you even when you're incognito. Maybe I'll try a different browser

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

nickutz posted:

If you're sending the points to BA are you then redeeming the domestic tickets on AA? Do you still have to call in to do that?

Yeah, all the flights are via AA. No need to call in, can all be booked via britishairways.com Points transfers from MR are immediate as well. Super easy and convenient.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SuperSpiff posted:

I'm going back and forth between keeping the Premier Rewards Gold card and the Platinum. I just can't find enough to justify the additional cost. I don't use SPG Gold, FHR, or the Centurion Lounges, and the PRG gets the same loss protection as the Platinum now; I don't know that it's worth the extra $150.

It's not exactly the same, but have you considered the Citi Prestige? You lose out on those automatic statuses with SPG and Hilton (although SPG status is probably going away soon), but you get the far easier to use $250 airline credit, 3x airline/2x dining and entertainment/1x everything else, plus the whole 4th night free thing. Of course there's a chance that the airlines might be useless to you but depending on your spending patterns you could average close to 2+ points (3.2 cents) per dollar on AA redemptions. The Priority Pass is the best version, as well.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

triple sulk posted:

It's not exactly the same, but have you considered the Citi Prestige? You lose out on those automatic statuses with SPG and Hilton (although SPG status is probably going away soon), but you get the far easier to use $250 airline credit, 3x airline/2x dining and entertainment/1x everything else, plus the whole 4th night free thing. Of course there's a chance that the airlines might be useless to you but depending on your spending patterns you could average close to 2+ points (3.2 cents) per dollar on AA redemptions. The Priority Pass is the best version, as well.

Yeah at the moment I've got both PRG/Platinum and Prestige (will get the Premier on the next round). I'm thinking longer term I'll just keep the PRG and Prestige. They're really the cards I like the most of all the ones I've gotten.

How would I be getting 3.2c on the dollar with AA redemptions though? I thought the Prestige just let you use them at 1.6c / pt?

e: Oh, ~2 pt / dollar * 1.6c / pt. Oops. Thanks for the tip!

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
noob question here and sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask.

I've been thinking about applying for the amex business platinum card but I'm curious if the yearly fee can be considered a business expense? Assume the card would be used for traveling and other business expenses.

I have a normal amex business but I like the benefits of the platinum

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BeOSPOS posted:

noob question here and sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask.

I've been thinking about applying for the amex business platinum card but I'm curious if the yearly fee can be considered a business expense? Assume the card would be used for traveling and other business expenses.

I have a normal amex business but I like the benefits of the platinum

A business credit card fee is a deductible business expense.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pig slut lisa posted:

A business credit card fee is a deductible business expense.

Thanks pig slut Lisa :tipshat:

I thought it this was the case but I find the realm of what is and isn't deductible to be a murky place

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if this is the thread for newbie credit card questions, but I didn't see another one.

If I have a Chase visa card, but I don't have a bank account at Chase, can I walk into Chase bank and pay off my card balance with cash? I got a few hundred dollars as a gift and would rather use it to pay for the card then have to carry it around and use it to buy things.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Jmcrofts posted:

Not sure if this is the thread for newbie credit card questions, but I didn't see another one.

If I have a Chase visa card, but I don't have a bank account at Chase, can I walk into Chase bank and pay off my card balance with cash? I got a few hundred dollars as a gift and would rather use it to pay for the card then have to carry it around and use it to buy things.

You can just set up your Chase Visa card from their web portal to do billing directly from any bank account.

For example I pay my Freedom and Sapphire with my educators credit union account.

https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/pay-online

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah, I do this whenever I have surplus cash.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Insane Totoro posted:

You can just set up your Chase Visa card from their web portal to do billing directly from any bank account.

For example I pay my Freedom and Sapphire with my educators credit union account.

https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/pay-online

I bill from my bank account already, but my actual bank is further away than the nearest Chase so it would be more convenient for me to bring cash there.

Dr Tran posted:

Yeah, I do this whenever I have surplus cash.

Thanks.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
The other nice thing about the platinum is the centurion lounge, especially if you're in an area where you can get regular access to it.

Speaking of Amex:

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=1033

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Uh drat, assume they had a bad earnings call?

Shadowhand00 posted:

The other nice thing about the platinum is the centurion lounge, especially if you're in an area where you can get regular access to it.

Unfortunately I neither live nor travel near a centurion lounge but it's a great benny for those who can use it. I'm looking forward to trying out the Priority Pass lounges though - since didn't travel much last year I lost all my airline status for the new year, so that should hold me over until I can rebuild it all this year.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

Speaking of Amex:

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=1033

drat, I was thinking I needed to buy some puts on them before earnings, and forgot in the general market meltdown.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

:eyepop: Yikes, I will too. Should I not bother with the Chase United card so soon, regardless of the outcome with Sapphire Preferred? I could wait 6mos and do it for my last semester's tuition, but was hoping to apply for another card with American as my 18 month cooldown with them is timed right around then. I was hoping to use the United one (which has a lower min spend) to book her pet's quarantine, I would otherwise have a hard time hitting the min spend on it as I seldom use credit cards for anything other than major expenses like that or tuition, especially since I live overseas and my income will now be coming from the non-US side (regardless of no foreign transaction fees, I still have to move money home to pay it off).

Update on this: approved for the Sapphire Preferred (didn't realise there was an automated number I could call to check, so I waited the suggested week until I tried calling in again)! Pro-tip: you can get delivery expedited in 1-2 business days at no additional charge if you ask. Initially the rep offered 3-5 days instead of the standard 2 weeks, when I asked if I could pay to get it a bit faster she mentioned the 1-2 day thing, and that it was free. I imagine they don't tell you outright to save themselves having everybody get it rushed at their expense.

Credit limit on it is only 5k, the tuition I'd want to be charging to it plus some other expenses would be more like 7.5k. Needing that much available credit on it is a one time thing though, rather than apply for a credit limit increase, can I charge 5k, pay it off immediately, then charge more on it, or is the 5k a per-billing cycle thing? I also have the BA Visa through Chase that I am about to cancel, which has a 10k limit. If I did need to increase my credit limit on the Sapphire Preferred, do I want to do that before I cancel the BA card (move from the BA card, I guess), or just cancel the BA card first and then call up for the credit increase? I suppose it's kind of splitting hairs, but wondering if one way is smarter than the other as far as credit scores or annoying Chase.

My initial plan was to apply for the Chase United Explorer card on top of that (30k miles on $1k spend, can easily manage that on top of the Sapphire Preferred $4k), but Blinkman was saying Chase will blacklist you if they think you're abusing promos. Would I likely be risking that if I cancelled the BA card so soon after getting the Sapphire (and just before its annual fee posted), and applied for the United Explorer one? To be fair, I'm getting to the end of my little hustle as I only have this semester and one more to use tuition to hit those min spends, so as long as it didn't mess with my Sapphire Preferred I don't know that it'd matter if I got blacklisted by them.

The only other card I'm finding that looks remotely attractive to me (I'm still waiting on American/US Airways to cooldown, and unless the AMEX min spend is ~$1k that's out as well) is the Capital One Venture Rewards, but its "40,000 miles" is actually a $400 statement credit. I know some people like the flexibility those give, but in my book the hassle of using miles is outweighed by how far they'll take you. 40k miles is a OW trans-Pac flight, which would probably cost at least $1200 in statement credits otherwise. OTOH, might be nice for hotels/car rentals, plus I don't have any cards with Capital One, so I assume I should be approved pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Update on this: approved for the Sapphire Preferred (didn't realise there was an automated number I could call to check, so I waited the suggested week until I tried calling in again)! Pro-tip: you can get delivery expedited in 1-2 business days at no additional charge if you ask. Initially the rep offered 3-5 days instead of the standard 2 weeks, when I asked if I could pay to get it a bit faster she mentioned the 1-2 day thing, and that it was free. I imagine they don't tell you outright to save themselves having everybody get it rushed at their expense.

Credit limit on it is only 5k, the tuition I'd want to be charging to it plus some other expenses would be more like 7.5k. Needing that much available credit on it is a one time thing though, rather than apply for a credit limit increase, can I charge 5k, pay it off immediately, then charge more on it, or is the 5k a per-billing cycle thing? I also have the BA Visa through Chase that I am about to cancel, which has a 10k limit. If I did need to increase my credit limit on the Sapphire Preferred, do I want to do that before I cancel the BA card (move from the BA card, I guess), or just cancel the BA card first and then call up for the credit increase? I suppose it's kind of splitting hairs, but wondering if one way is smarter than the other as far as credit scores or annoying Chase.

My initial plan was to apply for the Chase United Explorer card on top of that (30k miles on $1k spend, can easily manage that on top of the Sapphire Preferred $4k), but Blinkman was saying Chase will blacklist you if they think you're abusing promos. Would I likely be risking that if I cancelled the BA card so soon after getting the Sapphire (and just before its annual fee posted), and applied for the United Explorer one? To be fair, I'm getting to the end of my little hustle as I only have this semester and one more to use tuition to hit those min spends, so as long as it didn't mess with my Sapphire Preferred I don't know that it'd matter if I got blacklisted by them.

The only other card I'm finding that looks remotely attractive to me (I'm still waiting on American/US Airways to cooldown, and unless the AMEX min spend is ~$1k that's out as well) is the Capital One Venture Rewards, but its "40,000 miles" is actually a $400 statement credit. I know some people like the flexibility those give, but in my book the hassle of using miles is outweighed by how far they'll take you. 40k miles is a OW trans-Pac flight, which would probably cost at least $1200 in statement credits otherwise. OTOH, might be nice for hotels/car rentals, plus I don't have any cards with Capital One, so I assume I should be approved pretty easily.

Ask to move your credit limit from the BA card to the Sapphire, then close the card. If they ask, say that you like the Sapphire bonus categories more and that you can move points or whatever.

I don't think that canceling the BA card is an issue. You can probably sign up for the United Explorer card. I'd wait for the 50k bonus (55k with the authorized user) but I haven't seen that offer in 9 months or so. If you're only going to be able to game this with tuition for a while, then 30k is better than 0k.

Nobody knows what the thresholds are for being blacklisted by Chase. Some people do insane M$ and never get touched. Others get hammered for far less. A google search:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chase%20blacklist

Note that you can only get the Venture $400 credit towards travel. If you put it towards other things, like a pair of jeans, you get half the value. Capital One was always a bit silly with me. They gave me my first card as a student when other companies wouldn't. Then they would never, ever raise my limit even as I got jobs and promotions. I sat there with a $3,000 limit Cap One fee free card forever. It's only $5k as of today. I recently got the Venture and they were like, sure, here's $20k lol.