Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Josh Lyman posted:

My Swing-A-Way can opener has rusted to death and is now 100% useless. What's a good manual replacement?

https://www.oxo.com/smooth-edge-can-opener-296

edit: to be clear, this one's nice because it takes off the top of the can cleanly with no sharp edges.

Alternatively, Cook's Illustrated did a comparison and found this to be the best can opener: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TSF10/?tag=cioequippilot-20

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the original manufacturer of the swing away. Same design, but heavy duty made in the US.

http://smile.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ--3028-Deluxe-Opener-Grips/dp/B0071OUJDQ/

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is the original manufacturer of the swing away. Same design, but heavy duty made in the US.

http://smile.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ--3028-Deluxe-Opener-Grips/dp/B0071OUJDQ/

Got one, it owns. Get an EZ-DUZ-IT.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thirding the EZ Duz It.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What's so good about it? I have a random crappy can opener and I've never noticed problems with it.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I broke the stupid plastic handle off of like 2 can openers in 3 years. I finally said 'gently caress it, I'm getting one that has an all metal handle attached directly to the axle and blade.' Haven't looked back since, EZ DUZ IT has worked very well for me. Also it's made in America according to the packaging that I received a few years ago.

So, fourthing the EZ DUZ IT.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fart simpson posted:

What's so good about it? I have a random crappy can opener and I've never noticed problems with it.

It doesn't break, it's cheap, it's made in the US. If you already have a can opener you like, it's not worth replacing it. But if you need a new one for whatever reason, Ez-Duz-It is the way to go.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm looking in to the Cole & Mason pepper mill, going off of the Cook's Illustrated write up. Only thing I'm left wondering now is... why?

Someone please convince me that spending $30+ on a pepper grinder is worth it. Cooking has probably become my #1 hobby over the past year or so but I have no experience with anything beyond the cheapest pepper grinders.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Teeter posted:

I'm looking in to the Cole & Mason pepper mill, going off of the Cook's Illustrated write up. Only thing I'm left wondering now is... why?

Someone please convince me that spending $30+ on a pepper grinder is worth it. Cooking has probably become my #1 hobby over the past year or so but I have no experience with anything beyond the cheapest pepper grinders.

I've found that cheap ones fall apart pretty quickly, also the better ones grind faster and adjust to different grain sizes better.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Teeter posted:

Get the Peugeot Paris like I did. It grinds pepper into dust and it looks sexy as gently caress. If that thing was a woman, I'd gently caress it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got cheapo pepper grinders with ceramic mechanisms. Ceramic should stay sharp longer than steel, right? One of them cracked already.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Followup grinding question: What's the cheapest coffee grinder that's worthwhile? Looking for something that does a coarse grind for French press.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Teeter posted:

Followup grinding question: What's the cheapest coffee grinder that's worthwhile? Looking for something that does a coarse grind for French press.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, there's a dedicated Coffee Thread that will probably point you toward the Capresso Infinity like they did me. Although if it's a coarse grind that you're after, you could probably find something cheaper.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Teeter posted:

http://www.redroostertradingcompany.com/shop/camano-coffee-mill-3/

I use this one. It's adjustable for different size grinds. You really don't want a blade grinder for a french press because the ground won't be uniform enough.

I like grinding my own coffee because it makes me feel like I'm earning the drink but I'm sure any $15 electric burr grinder you can find at a shopping mall will work fine.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

VelociBacon posted:

http://www.redroostertradingcompany.com/shop/camano-coffee-mill-3/

I use this one. It's adjustable for different size grinds. You really don't want a blade grinder for a french press because the ground won't be uniform enough.

I like grinding my own coffee because it makes me feel like I'm earning the drink but I'm sure any $15 electric burr grinder you can find at a shopping mall will work fine.

You aren't going to find a $15 electric burr grinder. If you mean those whirling blade grinders, they're not good for french press (or coffee in general, but especially french press) - they generate a lot of fine particles that will come through the filter and leave sludge in the cup. You'll always be dealing with some sludge but blade grinders make it worse. A good burr grinder produces a more consistent grind size.

Anyway the best place to ask about coffee grinders is the dedicated coffee thread. The cheapest worthwhile coffee grinders are usually hand powered burr grinders.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

You aren't going to find a $15 electric burr grinder. If you mean those whirling blade grinders, they're not good for french press (or coffee in general, but especially french press) - they generate a lot of fine particles that will come through the filter and leave sludge in the cup. You'll always be dealing with some sludge but blade grinders make it worse. A good burr grinder produces a more consistent grind size.

Anyway the best place to ask about coffee grinders is the dedicated coffee thread.

Yeah I elaborated on the ground size issue in my post but fair enough I didn't know how much the electric ones cost.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I elaborated on the ground size issue in my post but fair enough I didn't know how much the electric ones cost.

Oh look at that. I should read more closely.

Yeah from what I've seen anyway there are no electric burr grinders in that price range. I think it's because burr grinding requires a low-RPM/high-torque motor which isn't easy to make cheaply and/or requires gears, but I'm not sure.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I use a Hario Skerton, which is a cheap manual burr grinder, with a modification (mine is a 3D printed part that fits to the shaft) which improves consistency on coarser grinds.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got the Hubs an Anova sous vide for Christmas, largely because I wanted it. (Marriage is awesome.) We did our first test run this weekend, with a few racks of ribs in two-gallon ziplocs, and by the end of the marinade + 16 hours of cooking the bags had sprung a few holes - based on the pinprick sizes, I'm assuming it's from the bones and not structural failure. With that being said, we'd like to figure out a better way to make tasty things that don't get soaked in the water bath. Is a food saver/vacuum packer the only option? Can ziploc bags still work for things that aren't pointy?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have a big old island that I want to keep an end grain cutting board on and also an unrelated meat grinder (can be KA attachment but I recall those get hot fast.) For the cutting board I wouldn't mind supporting some dude rather than a factory.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
I just got these rosti rings for making potato rostis but I don't want to be that guy who has a lot of single-purpose widgets around the kitchen. What else can I do with these besides forming little cheesecakes and making potato rostis?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

the_chavi posted:

I got the Hubs an Anova sous vide for Christmas, largely because I wanted it. (Marriage is awesome.) We did our first test run this weekend, with a few racks of ribs in two-gallon ziplocs, and by the end of the marinade + 16 hours of cooking the bags had sprung a few holes - based on the pinprick sizes, I'm assuming it's from the bones and not structural failure. With that being said, we'd like to figure out a better way to make tasty things that don't get soaked in the water bath. Is a food saver/vacuum packer the only option? Can ziploc bags still work for things that aren't pointy?

Use thicker zipper-top bags, like freezer bags. Those do get expensive after a while, though, so I'd recommend biting the bullet and just getting a Foodsaver. A roll of these bags is dirt cheap for 50' worth and they work a charm. I haven't had any breakage or leakage issues with them, and they're pretty thick.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

UncleSmoothie posted:

I just got these rosti rings for making potato rostis but I don't want to be that guy who has a lot of single-purpose widgets around the kitchen. What else can I do with these besides forming little cheesecakes and making potato rostis?

English muffin molds?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The coffee thread is LEAKING!

I make pretty much only French Press at home, and I've been super happy with my Capresso Infinity. I bought the more expensive one with the solid stainless steel base, and it's VERY quiet. Won't wake up the whole house.

The old bladed grinder I previously used was total poo poo; if you aren't willing to spend $100 on a grinder, just stick to using the grinder in the coffee isle in the supermarket. Filthy as it may be, they tend to be well built machines.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

UncleSmoothie posted:

Tiny little pancakes

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

UncleSmoothie posted:

They're good for making eggs for egg muffins / egg sandwiches / egg whatevers, put them right in your pan, if they don't scratch the coating.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

UncleSmoothie posted:

Use them to punch out biscuits from a piece of dough for biscuits and gravy, if they aren't too big? I mean I just a regular drinking glass for that, but I guess these would be an upgrade.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Get the Peugeot Paris like I did. It grinds pepper into dust and it looks sexy as gently caress. If that thing was a woman, I'd gently caress it.

Seconding this. It's high quality and something that you'll keep around forever.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
When I was in the UK everyone wanted a spiralizer. Can someone please explain to my why anyone would want a spiralizer? What on earth is the point of really long thinly sliced things? Also, why did they keep putting spiralized slices of cucumbers in my Moscow Mules?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

GreaseGunner posted:

When I was in the UK everyone wanted a spiralizer. Can someone please explain to my why anyone would want a spiralizer? What on earth is the point of really long thinly sliced things? Also, why did they keep putting spiralized slices of cucumbers in my Moscow Mules?

Because if you order a hipster drink you get stuck with hipster gourds.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You know how last year moscow mules became a big fad and then all of a sudden there was a surplus of mule mugs and now all the kitchen stores are littered silly with mule mugs, even though moscow mules were originally decades old?

Same thing with making vegetable spirals and spaghetti.

I'm not sure who decides what old things become new fads.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have a good salad spinner rec? Or are they all the same, just get the cheapest one?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I like Oxo's because the motion of pushing down on it helps keep it stationary and centered.

Plus it has a little brake. It doesn't work well, but whatever.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 19, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

UncleSmoothie posted:

Make chocolate chip cookies, and use the rings to cut them all into the same uniform size. Then, make vanilla ice cream, mix in a bag of m&ms, and pour it into a baking tray to harden, so you get a layer of M&M ice cream about half an inch thick. Once the ice cream's hardened, use the rings to cut out discs of it, then place each disc of ice cream between two cookie discs to make ice cream sandwiches. Eat, enjoy, die of diabetes!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I like Oxo's because the motion of pushing down on it helps keep it stationary and centered.

Plus it has a little brake. It doesn't work well, but whatever.

Seconding this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gerblyn posted:

Make chocolate chip cookies, and use the rings to cut them all into the same uniform size. Then, make vanilla ice cream, mix in a bag of m&ms, and pour it into a baking tray to harden, so you get a layer of M&M ice cream about half an inch thick. Once the ice cream's hardened, use the rings to cut out discs of it, then place each disc of ice cream between two cookie discs to make ice cream sandwiches. Eat, enjoy, die of diabetes!

Why don't you use your powers for good?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've just moved into an apartment with a glass/ceramic cooktop. My understanding is that you can't use cast iron on these as they can scratch and also get too hot. I'm told a diffuser would solve this problem. Is that the case?

I can't live without an oven and without cast iron!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I use cast iron on my glass top. Never had a problem with it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just don't slide it around while cooking, or it will scratch the painted-on rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's not my cooktop so that's a concern also I heard that cast iron pans get so hot as to damage the cooktop?

There certainly wouldn't be any issue if I did get a defuser though right?