Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sorbus posted:

Gave my HD 598's away as christmas present to my mum and had a bit of money laying around:

I "upgraded" from 580s at a cost of about $175 but it was totally worth it. Perfect headphone IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

App13 posted:

Link please

Its by Rains: http://www.rains.dk/

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

colas posted:

Took me a minute. It's a Dune joke, right?

NWA is a musical group quite well known for saying, "gently caress the police" and that is a picture of the musical group, The Police.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

colas posted:

Took me a minute. It's a Dune joke, right?

I imagine anyone wearing that shirt probably walks without rhythm.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Humerus posted:

NWA is a musical group quite well known for saying, "gently caress the police" and that is a picture of the musical group, The Police.

I am up on my Sting history. It will never Feyd. It's Lock and Stock.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

davebo posted:

I imagine anyone wearing that shirt probably walks without rhythm.

Reggae has plenty of rhythm.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

beefnoodle posted:

Reggae has plenty of rhythm.

It's a Fatboy Slim reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8

content -

I bought a LGA1151 socket instead of a LGA1150 socket that would fit my mb because I no pay attention good.

colas has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Jan 17, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

colas posted:

It's a Fatboy Slim reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8

content -

I bought a LGA1151 socket instead of a LGA1150 socket that would fit my mb because I no pay attention good.

It's a Dune reference and Sting played Feyd-Rautha in Lynch's movie version. The Fremen walk without rhythm so the Sand Worms aren't attracted to them.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
It's both! (This was news to me)

Fatboy Slim posted:

Walk without rhythm, it won't attract the worm
Walk without rhythm and it won't attract the worm
Walk without rhythm and it won't attract the worm
If you walk without rhythm, you never learn

colas
Feb 14, 2007

flosofl posted:

It's a Dune reference and Sting played Feyd-Rautha in Lynch's movie version.

I was joking I mentioned Feyd a couple posts ago.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

beefnoodle posted:

New Tshirt.

They had a bad experience when their flight was rerouted through Seattle?

Wheres Wallace
May 5, 2009

:) keep on keepin' on :)
27" iMac Retina 5K
3.2 i5 quad-CPU
8GB RAM
2 TB Fusion Drive
Radeon R9 M390 2 GB
Preloaded with Final Cut Pro X

16 GB RAM from OWC

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lake trout sub posted:

27" iMac Retina 5K
3.2 i5 quad-CPU
8GB RAM
2 TB Fusion Drive
Radeon R9 M390 2 GB
Preloaded with Final Cut Pro X

16 GB RAM from OWC

It still blows me away that I paid $100 per megabyte for the extra RAM in the first Mac I ever purchased (Macintosh LC). At that price, 16 gigs would be $1.6 million.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finally my ISP decided to ditch the lovely DSL boxes. I have no idea why they wanted a year ago to install DSL to the apartment complex, when we just installed CAT6 wiring to all apartments during a renovation.

Well today they sent a msg that they will move on to the pure ethernet next week. Currently I pay 19,90€/month from a 100/10. Next week it should be 100/100 for the same price.

Except now it will be 1000/100 for 38,90€/month. I have no idea what to do with the download speed, but :rice: is always a good excuse.

Edit: also,

Ihmemies has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Jan 18, 2016

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I bought a Nexus 6P because my Nexus 5 decided it would no longer see any wifi signals whatsoever. Burning through data and being unable to use the internet in certain spots in my own house (tmobile :argh:) sucks. I guess 2 years is about the going rate for phones, but I was very happy with it and it was in perfect working order until now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Good Dog posted:

I bought a Nexus 6P because my Nexus 5 decided it would no longer see any wifi signals whatsoever. Burning through data and being unable to use the internet in certain spots in my own house (tmobile :argh:) sucks. I guess 2 years is about the going rate for phones, but I was very happy with it and it was in perfect working order until now.

I'm really hoping my Nexus 5 gains some debilitating problem because I have the itch for new tech, but on the flip side I have no room in the budget right this second so if it does die I'm SOL for a bit. Or I could put it on credit but ick.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Sonicare from Black Friday 2008 is finally dying. The Sweet Home says I should get an Oral B: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/bes...ric-toothbrush/

Half of me is scared to switch, and the other half has been brainwashed by Sonicare marketing. #1 dentist recommended brand!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

My Sonicare from Black Friday 2008 is finally dying. The Sweet Home says I should get an Oral B: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/bes...ric-toothbrush/

Half of me is scared to switch, and the other half has been brainwashed by Sonicare marketing. #1 dentist recommended brand!

Then get what you know you like? Just because The Sweet Home doesn't recommend something doesn't mean it's not good.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm in dental school, Oral-B and Sonicare both came to our school and gave us a big sales pitch and free samples of their top of the line models. Oral-B had a bunch of studies where their brush out performed Sonicare, and you could tell they were really trying to fight against the head start Sonicare has in the marketing department. Honestly, most of the independent research shows that if you have proper brushing technique (you probably don't) and brush for a full 2 minutes each time (you probably don't) a manual toothbrush is just as good as any fancy one. The power ones usually have a timer, and just brushing for the 2 full minutes is going to put you ahead of the manual.

That said....I used my Sonicare for 3 years until it finally bit the dust, so I just started using the Oral-B one. I hate it and my wife switched back to a manual toothbrush. It's really loud and I feel like it's not doing as good of a job. I'm hoping it breaks soon so I can justify paying for a Sonicare.

If you like your Sonicare, just get a new Sonicare.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The oral b has all the crap you need in an electric toothbrush i.e. It has a 30 second timer for each quadrant of your mouth. It works good. Make sure to get real oral b brush heads when you replace though because the cheapos will tear up your mouth as I am unfortunately learning from the poo poo from China.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I really like my Oral B (enough so that I bought another one when the battery in my original one started dying) although I've never used a Sonicare. Knowing that I'm at least brushing each quadrant long enough is super loving nice.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I use a pretty standard Sonicare model and it has the 30-second timer as well. Get what works for you, but I doubt that you're going to notice a massive difference in results between brands.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Except now it will be 1000/100 for 38,90€/month. I have no idea what to do with the download speed, but :rice: is always a good excuse.

Can't get enough Linux ISO's my friend.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Josh Lyman posted:

Your link is a 404 page.

My first Sonicare lasted eight years. I'm into my sixth year on the current one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I use a pretty standard Sonicare model and it has the 30-second timer as well. Get what works for you, but I doubt that you're going to notice a massive difference in results between brands.

Yeah, I have an Oral-B with the induction charger and it's been going strong for almost 6 years. Either one is good choice.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I had a lot of Amex points so I got these Frye boots:

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Sportman posted:

I'm in dental school, Oral-B and Sonicare both came to our school and gave us a big sales pitch and free samples of their top of the line models. Oral-B had a bunch of studies where their brush out performed Sonicare, and you could tell they were really trying to fight against the head start Sonicare has in the marketing department. Honestly, most of the independent research shows that if you have proper brushing technique (you probably don't) and brush for a full 2 minutes each time (you probably don't) a manual toothbrush is just as good as any fancy one. The power ones usually have a timer, and just brushing for the 2 full minutes is going to put you ahead of the manual.

That said....I used my Sonicare for 3 years until it finally bit the dust, so I just started using the Oral-B one. I hate it and my wife switched back to a manual toothbrush. It's really loud and I feel like it's not doing as good of a job. I'm hoping it breaks soon so I can justify paying for a Sonicare.

If you like your Sonicare, just get a new Sonicare.

Cochrane reviews say that electric toothbrushes outperform conventional ones.Not a huge effect, but I bought an Oral-B on Amazon for $8, so I don't see why you wouldn't.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I bought a brush from Quip.

It's $25, and they mail you a new brush head every 3 months and charge you $5. It runs on aaa batteries and I've not had to replace them yet (got it in December). I'm really happy with it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Got some ties and a scarf on clearance.

Referral link
Regular link

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I once bought a tie that looks a lot like this. I was going to a funeral and the tie looked black at the store but green everywhere else.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jerry Cotton posted:

I once bought a tie that looks a lot like this. I was going to a funeral and the tie looked black at the store but green everywhere else.

Ouch. Sounds like the store skimped on lighting; bulbs with a poor color rendering index will do that. I'm moving next month, and I'll be paying through the nose to fill the new place with decent LED bulbs to avoid playing is-it-black-or-navy.

Incidentally, if you're still looking for a tie like that in black, The Tie Bar does do a similar paisley that's completely black-on-black:

(shop page)

I've got this one as well, and I'm pretty sure they've got the contrast cranked way up in that photo. In most lighting it basically looks black unless you're looking carefully or the light hits it just right.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Been in my new house for a few months, time to finally get my basement a little more organized.

Managed to get a free workbench off of craigslist, and then got some organizational supplies from everyone's favorite cheap tool outlet, Harbor Freight:

To start to help sort my vast assortment of screws, nails, nuts, bolts, anchors, doo-dads, and whats-its.

Magnetic tool holder for some of my more frequently used tools.

Plastic shelf for random odds and ends like half-full paint cans, tool boxes, etc...

And a tape measure beucase HF is always giving away small things for free, and this was today's.

Also used a 20% off one item code for the plastic shelf, and got a couple other small items for just over $35 after shipping.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Dress shoes were finally giving out..

And my old peacoat finally is covered in so much dog hair it isn't worth even attempting to remove it all.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

A little Captain Haddock statue for my shelf. I'm not even particularly into Tintin but I thought it was a lovely thing. Available from the official Tintin shop.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

God drat that's what it looked like at the store :arghfist::butt: Not that I ever wear a tie unless it's a funeral or a wedding so I can always just borrow a black tie.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I bought a brush from Quip.

It's $25, and they mail you a new brush head every 3 months and charge you $5. It runs on aaa batteries and I've not had to replace them yet (got it in December). I'm really happy with it.

I've been thinking about doing this. I have a Sonicare but the heads are pretty expensive. Did you get the power version or the manual?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

Ouch. Sounds like the store skimped on lighting; bulbs with a poor color rendering index will do that. I'm moving next month, and I'll be paying through the nose to fill the new place with decent LED bulbs to avoid playing is-it-black-or-navy.

Incidentally, if you're still looking for a tie like that in black, The Tie Bar does do a similar paisley that's completely black-on-black:

(shop page)

I've got this one as well, and I'm pretty sure they've got the contrast cranked way up in that photo. In most lighting it basically looks black unless you're looking carefully or the light hits it just right.

The tie bar is awesome!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
In hindsight my last post kinda sounds like shilling, sorry. I've got a bunch of their ties, so they show up in my posts in this thread relatively often.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

The tie bar is awesome!

I've had mixed results from them. I have some ties that look and feel great and are holding up nicely and some that were already having quality issues after a single wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Two tickets to Tokyo.