Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks. Google Translate wasn't helpful at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I appreciate the de-Englishing, my friend.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I remembered one. In Ultima Underworld II, in the ice level, there was a tiny room with a locked door. In that room, there was one of the best weapons in the game - a broadsword that did a ton of extra poison damage with each swing. Lots of enemies were susceptible to poison in that game. The weapon appeared to be in an advanced state of disrepair, "Very Badly Worn" when you pick it up. It was actually a single swing away from breaking. You could repair a worn weapon in that game, but once it broke, it was junk. I definitely remember friends who had the game complaining that they tried out the sword once and smashed it, intending to repair it once they reached a settlement. I did even worse - I picked it up, inspected it, then dropped it while I made room in my inventory for it. This also caused it to break.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChogsEnhour posted:

I remember my mate got that game and we had a lads night in getting pissed up and playing that taking turns every so often, absolutely kakking ourselves at nothing when soft-bollocks here gets his go and OF COURSE that's when the first alien springs out. I flinch, being the huge fanny that I am and swill my mates keyboard with my tin.

This may be the most furiously Australian thing that isn't printed on a kangaroo holding a can of Fosters I've ever read.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RareAcumen posted:

This may be the most furiously Australian thing that isn't printed on a kangaroo holding a can of Fosters I've ever read.

You must be joking, he didn't call anyone involved a oval office. :australia:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ChogsEnhour posted:

I remember my mate got that game and we had a lads night in getting pissed up and playing that taking turns every so often, absolutely kakking ourselves at nothing when soft-bollocks here gets his go and OF COURSE that's when the first alien springs out. I flinch, being the huge fanny that I am and swill my mates keyboard with my tin.

It's nice to see people from the last continent of Fourecks can finally connect to L-space.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's nice to see people from the last continent of Fourecks can finally connect to L-space.

That is absolutely British, not Australian. "Kakking", "soft-bollocks" and "fanny" are the giveaways.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Look, I'm just saying, all white people sound alike to me.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I couldn't decide which was sadder, the wannabe lad who was trying too hard in a post about videogames, or the super sheltered American who couldn't understand him

Then I turned the page and found the guy who was convinced it was Australian. Welp

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I couldn't decide which was sadder, the wannabe lad who was trying too hard in a post about videogames, or the super sheltered American who couldn't understand him

Then I turned the page and found the guy who was convinced it was Australian. Welp

Wow, qui cacata carta in vestri prandium?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I remembered one. In Ultima Underworld II, in the ice level, there was a tiny room with a locked door. In that room, there was one of the best weapons in the game - a broadsword that did a ton of extra poison damage with each swing. Lots of enemies were susceptible to poison in that game. The weapon appeared to be in an advanced state of disrepair, "Very Badly Worn" when you pick it up. It was actually a single swing away from breaking. You could repair a worn weapon in that game, but once it broke, it was junk. I definitely remember friends who had the game complaining that they tried out the sword once and smashed it, intending to repair it once they reached a settlement. I did even worse - I picked it up, inspected it, then dropped it while I made room in my inventory for it. This also caused it to break.

Too bad there's no "spam spam spam humbug" in that one. I always carried around tons of glass swords I generated out of thin air in 6

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Aesop Poprock posted:

Too bad there's no "spam spam spam humbug" in that one. I always carried around tons of glass swords I generated out of thin air in 6

u7.exe ABCD alt-255

Can't remember the one for Serpent Isle.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
For posterity, we say 'kakking' and 'fanny' in AU.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Aire Tam Storm + Lucky 7's

I had no idea about this. I remember doing in Emerald weapon via some tedious combo of Mimic, HP-absorb, and Phoenix summon with the 3x AP materia gain weapons equipped. It was absolutely ridiculous to see Knights of the Round copy itself at the end of that fight.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Velisarius posted:

For posterity, we say 'kakking' and 'fanny' in AU.

...and we don't use 'tin' to describe a beer in the UK.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Welp. I guess I've got egg on my face, then.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's okay, man. They're still a bunch of crackers.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

or the super sheltered American who couldn't understand him

I understood him, I was making fun of the ridiculous slang. Hence the spergjoke smiley right after.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah, sorry about that derail. Just didn't gauge how much to reel it in.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ChogsEnhour posted:

Yeah, sorry about that derail. Just didn't gauge how much to reel it in.

Don't apologise, it was worth it for the "LOL someone thought they were Australian".

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

It's difficult to know if these fall under bad game design or trolling, but I'll put them down anyway.

Dead Rising 1 has Otis, an NPC who calls you from the safe room whenever new missions are available. Since missions normally involve survivors or psychopaths, you have to answer pretty much all of these if you want to rescue everyone otherwise the missions won't appear. Unfortunately you can't attack with a weapon or get grabbed by a zombie when on the phone or the call is cut off and Otis calls back to lecture you and repeat the message from the start.

The phone calls are area/time dependent, so you can enjoy getting a phonecall in a psycho fight or zombie mob and being unable to defend yourself.

Similarly, some of the survivors actively make things worse for you by rescuing them. In the second game, rescuing a hungry survivor removes the healing items from the safe room permanently. Rescuing bitten survivors also means sharing the limited amount of Zombrex you have.

In Haunting Ground you have to run and hide from whichever stalker is searching for you. If you hide successfully, the stalker will (eventually) leave and the notice "Coast clear!" flashes on screen...except it's lying. If the background music hasn't come back, the stalker is still searching for you and you may end up giving up your hiding place too early.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

88h88 posted:

...and we don't use 'tin' to describe a beer in the UK.

Yeah its tinny :rolleyes:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Been playing tales of vesperia on and off for a while now and just...

Judith's spear :argh:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's okay, man. They're still a bunch of crackers.

What's Christmas got to do with it?

Overminty posted:

Been playing tales of vesperia on and off for a while now and just...

Judith's spear :argh:

What's a Judith's spear and what's got you so mad about it?

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Jan 18, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Overminty posted:

Yeah its tinny :rolleyes:

Also Aus/NZ slang.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

What's a Judith's spear and what's got you so mad about it?

Judith is a character you can play as in the game and shows up in a suit of armor and carrying a really flashy spear. You can retrieve said spear by constantly backtracking to visit places with no apparent notice like running through a forest to avoid the empire catching up to you because a tower fell over in the main road and you can't just step over the thing.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

RareAcumen posted:

Judith is a character you can play as in the game and shows up in a suit of armor and carrying a really flashy spear. You can retrieve said spear by constantly backtracking to visit places with no apparent notice like running through a forest to avoid the empire catching up to you because a tower fell over in the main road and you can't just step over the thing.

I think it's worse than that. You have to backtrack at specific points in the plot. Otherwise, you permanently miss out on the spear.

Another thing about that game: To fight the True Ultimate Final Form of the Final Boss, you have to go on a fetch quest to get a bunch of cursed weapons that scale damage based on the number of kills the character using the gear has. Of course, this means the weapons are functionally useless unless you grind on super easy encounters.

Your reward for beating the True Ultimate Final Form of the Final Boss: Nothing. You just gave the Final Boss a bunch of weapons to use against you for no reason. There is no extra plot; killing the final form gives you the same ending as killing the penultimate form without having the cursed weapons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RareAcumen posted:

Trails in the Sky did something along the exact same lines with the Carnelia book series (and the Gambler Jack series in the sequel). If you collect them all, you get your pick of the ultimate weapon for one of the two main members in your party right before the finale sequence starts up.

Thing is, they're hidden in some of the most obscure places, and have some incredibly narrow timeframes for when you can get a given chapter before you lose it forever. One of the ones that sticks out is one of the last: during one part near the end, you have to go on a sneaking mission through town; you want to do it flawlessly if you're obsessed with getting a perfect rating. Said sneaking mission lasts all of five minutes, normally.

In order to get the book, you have to go in the complete opposite direction of where you're supposed to go. Not only that, the person you need to talk to to get it is in a small sub-area that you normally never have access to. Though at least they weren't complete dicks about it, since there aren't any guards in that part of the town.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dpbjinc posted:

I think it's worse than that. You have to backtrack at specific points in the plot. Otherwise, you permanently miss out on the spear.

Yeah, and it's half 'expected of JRPGs' and also ridiculous bullshit in how it's executed.

dpbjinc posted:

Another thing about that game: To fight the True Ultimate Final Form of the Final Boss, you have to go on a fetch quest to get a bunch of cursed weapons that scale damage based on the number of kills the character using the gear has. Of course, this means the weapons are functionally useless unless you grind on super easy encounters.

Your reward for beating the True Ultimate Final Form of the Final Boss: Nothing. You just gave the Final Boss a bunch of weapons to use against you for no reason. There is no extra plot; killing the final form gives you the same ending as killing the penultimate form without having the cursed weapons.

Actually the cursed weapons have a specific attack stat to them unless you do that.

Getting to the boss fight upgrades your Fell Arms. You don't even have to beat it, as soon as the battle starts you can open your Equipment and switch to them.

The upgraded Fell Arms, like in other Tales games that have these types of weapons, have a unique property: Their base attack power starts at 0, but goes up by 1 for each enemy the character who the weapon belongs to has killed. This also applies to magical attack power, and counts all kills throughout the whole game.

And as for getting Judith's spear back here's the breakdown.

STEP 1: When the mage rejoins after the dungeon you recruited her to guide you through, return to her hut and examine the magic orb.
STEP 2: When you exit Ehmead Hill on the Capua Nor city's side, head immediately back to examine the fallen tower.
STEP 3: When Judith rejoins after the giant phoenix's attack on Guild town, return to the desert tower and head to the room where Judy couldn't find her weapon.
STEP 4: When you return to Capua Torim before getting to the boat, talk to a lady near Fortune's Market HQ; Judith will go blow up a blastia.
STEP 5: Talk to some guy by the cauldron at the south end of the arena town when you first get there; Judith will blow up another blastia.
STEP 6: When you get the dragon airship, talk to the lady from step 4 in Capua Torim
STEP 7: If Kaufman is in her office, talk to her; if she doesn't appear, visit Ehmead Hill (Nor side) and Ghasfarost (the cell); she should appear after this. After talking to Kaufman, talk to the merchant at Dahngrest Fortune's Market Store #1.
STEP 8: When the town of Aurnion is built, DO NOT SLEEP IN THE INN THERE UNTIL YOU FINISH THIS. Examine the central blastia twice (try it as Rita if it doesn't work) and go to the starting town for a scene where the girls destroy a blastia in the castle; you may sleep at the inn afterward and get the scene with the spirits.
STEP 9: Exit and re-enter Aurnion and stay at the inn again for a scene with Kaufman
STEP 10: Go to the ruined town, Caer Bocram and enter the house to the immediate right. You SHOULD get the [censored] spear from some Blood Alliance thugs.

None of this is hinted to you and the only way I can imagine someone figuring this out the first time without a strategy guide is to just go and talk to every NPC in the game as soon as anything new happens. Because this sidequest starts before you even get Judith as a playable character. Steps 2 and 3 have about three or four hours of gameplay before you get to the next step.

Thankfully, we have the internet and everyone documenting everything in every game so we don't have to struggle with figuring this stuff out if we don't want to anymore.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjCYy9c0bUY

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dpbjinc posted:

I tried for that loving spear THREE TIMES. Each time it wouldn't appear I restarted and tried again, which of course takes forever. I did everything right. Eventually it turned out that it was just glitched for me for some reason, which of course would have to happen in the most drawn out random treasure hunt in the game.

Otherwise that game was fantastic and I was so pissed at that one thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RareAcumen posted:

Thankfully, we have the internet and everyone documenting everything in every game so we don't have to struggle with figuring this stuff out if we don't want to anymore.

We just have to feel sorry for that first poor bastard who figured it all out.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

We just have to feel sorry for that first poor bastard who figured it all out.

The type of people who take the time to figure all of that poo poo out probably aren't the types who'd be doing anything else with their time anyway

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Aesop Poprock posted:

The type of people who take the time to figure all of that poo poo out probably aren't the types who'd be doing anything else with their time anyway

Is this why JRPG's are so grindy and bonkers? I know gently caress all about Japan, but are the target audiences for JRPGs neckbeards to THAT extreme? Is it a documented thing?

I mean I know Western audiences have bad neckbeards who will grind out games for hundreds of hours but Eastern games just seem wayyyy more involved and hardcore about it.

Like, I was trying to get into Nier in a big way because I heard how great it was and in the end I looked up a guide to upgrading my weapons and it basically said at the beginning, "DON'T BOTHER UNLESS YOU'RE WILLING TO WASTE A HUNDRED HOURS OF YOUR LIFE" so yeah I just jibbed it. I mean left it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ChogsEnhour posted:

Is this why JRPG's are so grindy and bonkers?

The dark secret is that they're not, grinding is just the alternative to figuring out the intricacies of the battle system*, and for a genre that was at its height on the SNES and PS1 when we were mostly dumb kids the latter ain't happening.

Oh, and weapon upgrading is completely unnecessary to beat the game in Nier, it's just for completionists - too bad Nier's devs hate completionists. :v:

*Not trying to say that JRPGs are actually ~deep and complex~ either, just stuff like status effects working surprisingly often if you try that but grinding then mashing attack is easier.

E: Ohhhhh right we're talking about obtuse secrets too. Yeah, VVV that, and most of them are, again, far from necessary.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Jan 19, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Most of the obtuse and byzantine secrets in JRPGs existed to sell strategy guides.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

To clarify my original annoyance, a couple of the steps right near the beginning of the game have to be done at that time but the rest of the steps can be done any time after.. except the final scenes won't trigger. So I got to the point where I thought I had done everything just to be blocked right near the end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tales of Vesperia is a great game but boy is some of the optional content total bullshit to see.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm actually playing Vesperia right now and didn't know about this. Is the spear really worth getting, or is it a completionist/achievement thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm inclined to say Vesperia's the last Tales game to esoterically hide poo poo behind so many gates, or at the very least it's one of the last ones, which goes a long way in making the later games feel less annoying to play.

• Locked thread