Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I received a steam gift card from a friend and without anything else I cared to spend it on I made the bad decision to give PGI money for the Stalker mastery pack (forgive me). What builds are people using on the Misery, specifically I want to know what engine people use because the 255 it comes with means that it's going to be awfully slow even for an assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
All new people should follow guides from https://www.metamechs.com and not listen to goons, especially goons on mumble. Some of them are not totally optimal but they are all at least solid.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Axetrain posted:

I received a steam gift card from a friend and without anything else I cared to spend it on I made the bad decision to give PGI money for the Stalker mastery pack (forgive me). What builds are people using on the Misery, specifically I want to know what engine people use because the 255 it comes with means that it's going to be awfully slow even for an assault.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=75&l=304d50191916fe8766f03d894fa734f520e6cbe0

This is a build from metamechs.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Number19 posted:

The Monday workday is not over yet.

Do you guys have no idea how to manage expectations? If you're going to wait until the end of the day to release the notes, just say they are going to be released on tuesday, then magically astound people with your competence by releasing them late on monday.

Is this sort of poo poo lostech at :pgi:?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Drewjitsu posted:

Do you guys have no idea how to manage expectations? If you're going to wait until the end of the day to release the notes, just say they are going to be released on tuesday, then magically astound people with your competence by releasing them late on monday.

Is it a lawyer thing to ask questions you already know the answers to?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Washout posted:

All new people should follow guides from https://www.metamechs.com and not listen to goons, especially goons on mumble. Some of them are not totally optimal but they are all at least solid.

Or at least read the theorycrafting stuff. Metamechs doesn't ALWAYS have the best stuff for group/solo queue (its a lil out of date), but most of hte builds are gonna be where you wanna go with the mech.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Washout posted:

also, the mech guides are often more resourceful than the tier lists, especially if the pinpoint alpha laser meta isn't your thing. you'll find various builds that suit nearly all the different playstyles and gman goes indepth on what works and doesn't for each chassis.

running a mech build from the tier list is great if you have a competent team that can support that build. a lot of those builds will not work when playing with the majority of goons, especially how a good majority run with very low back armor and run too hot for a brawl.

also cross reference builds from the individual is/clan, competitive and meta tiers. they often have different builds featured.

teepo fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 18, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

teepo posted:

running a mech build from the tier list is great if you have a competent team that can support that build. a lot of those builds will not work when playing with the majority of goons, especially how a good majority run with very low back armor and run too hot for a brawl.

It's always great when a goon rips on me for having back armor and then gets cored from behind.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

PGI are on PST. Its not even 1PM there yet. Calm your tits.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

:negative:

Talk about guns that don't mesh well. Holy crap.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Pattonesque posted:

what's your Thunderbolt build? Most of the good ones can get away with no XL

TDR-92, 2XAMS, 6XMPL, an LB10X, full armor and an XL 315 under the hood. I built it before bothering to look around into min maxing builds. I mostly hang with the assaults and harass the mid range with he MPLs on chainfire. I enjoy it.

I'll just grab the Stormcrow. I just needed someone to talk me down once I crunched the numbers on the TBR. So much grinding again once I drop that 11 mill...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

A.o.D. posted:

:negative:

Talk about guns that don't mesh well. Holy crap.

AC/20 and 2 PPC has been standard for the Misery for a while though? I can see the value in it

TheStampede posted:

TDR-92, 2XAMS, 6XMPL, an LB10X, full armor and an XL 315 under the hood. I built it before bothering to look around into min maxing builds. I mostly hang with the assaults and harass the mid range with he MPLs on chainfire. I enjoy it.

I'll just grab the Stormcrow. I just needed someone to talk me down once I crunched the numbers on the TBR. So much grinding again once I drop that 11 mill...

So if you wanna do MPL on a TDR, grab the -5SS and try this. 7 MPL is Ghost Heated now so you're gonna have to fire in torso/arm groups, but it's still p. good:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=115&l=be47274a5c14456e3896779ee9cea1863d0df921

The -9S is quirked for ERPPCs, so this could work well:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=155&l=cccb36c0a6e75620e1c263983f391deca544ff75

-9S used to be phenomenal, but they nerfed it so it's just OK, but it can still do some work

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'd think that 3LL and 1 AC/20 would be a better fit for the misery, plus it wouldn't leave you with two useless guns at point blank.

teepo posted:

six back armor on a stalker :madmax:

With ammo stored in the CT, no less! :black101:

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 18, 2016

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
six back armor on a stalker :madmax:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

PPC efficacy aside. No. Stop. No. Quit with the sacrificial arms. Dumping your armor on a component for one more heat sink or one more ton of ammo is not worth the cost of the extra damage you could potentially be soaking with it. Even on something like the Stalker where they don't block a lot.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheStampede posted:

So I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I'm sitting on 12 mill, and I have a choice. Do I a) buy the Stormcrow, or b) cash in my Shadow Cat and go for a Timber Wolf?

I have an XL kitted out Thunderbolt as well. CW isn't a huge issue, but eh, it's supposed to be the thing, eventually. The Stormcrow is pretty sex looking, but having more guns and armor then my Thunderbolt while still being maneuverable would be nice.

Honestly it's almost never worth it to outright sell a mech. Plus, Shadow Cats are actually pretty fun and an okay robot to drive. Plus plus, Stormcrows are basically Best In Slot mediums right now, followed only by maybe the Crab.

Get the crow. Or keep saving. Or get the Crow.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If I wanted to make myself miserable, I'd probably drive this.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Even just switching the PPCs on that Misery build to LPLs makes it like a thousand times better.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

some top-tier popcorn in this brown sea thread

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/219870-structure-quirks/

featuring a video of noted clan Bad Gyrok being Bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=664yzNZep9c

I'm kind of curious, since a pubbie made a half decent point. It seems like the structure bonus addition, other than simply being another way to manipulate mech stats to make them work in context of others, seems to be most explicitly intended to counteract the survivability aspect that is offered by clan xls. As I understand it, in tabletop a mech is out if it loses 3 engine slots (and has extra heat added for each one lost), and since obviously a destroyed component loses all its bits, the 3 slots in the side torsos of IS mechs thus make them prone to exploding and dying, while since only two are there for clans, they could keep going provided a slot hasn't been destroyed elsewhere. It would seem that PGI is attempting to balance IS vs Clan mechs as being more a difference in choices, because in tabletop BV is another balancing factor (and something I have argued in past could very well be used in replacement of tonnage to balance quick play composition/drop decks). Is adding engine slot damage/crits not another reasonable way to mitigate the extreme effectiveness of clan vs IS XLs? I get the sense that balance decisions are now oriented around manipulating current values but are held back by strange adherence to tabletop values. Barring some fundamental change and actual vision for long term balance decisions though, I can't see anything of this sort added purely because of arguments against added complexity (despite quirks being fundamentally an incredibly complex balancing mechanism).

tl;dr I don't get the basis for balance decisions in this game and I wish that whoever is in charge of it had a more concrete idea of where they want it to go.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Drewjitsu posted:

Sometimes they get delayed a bit to ensure that they are accurate and that all the stakeholders have verified things. This is a new patch cycle for us so the patches are bigger. The process will get smoother once we're used to the newer cadence.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I really want to make a huge :effort: post about quirks, but nobody cares.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Coolwhoami posted:

I'm kind of curious, since a pubbie made a half decent point. It seems like the structure bonus addition, other than simply being another way to manipulate mech stats to make them work in context of others, seems to be most explicitly intended to counteract the survivability aspect that is offered by clan xls. As I understand it, in tabletop a mech is out if it loses 3 engine slots (and has extra heat added for each one lost), and since obviously a destroyed component loses all its bits, the 3 slots in the side torsos of IS mechs thus make them prone to exploding and dying, while since only two are there for clans, they could keep going provided a slot hasn't been destroyed elsewhere. It would seem that PGI is attempting to balance IS vs Clan mechs as being more a difference in choices, because in tabletop BV is another balancing factor (and something I have argued in past could very well be used in replacement of tonnage to balance quick play composition/drop decks). Is adding engine slot damage/crits not another reasonable way to mitigate the extreme effectiveness of clan vs IS XLs? I get the sense that balance decisions are now oriented around manipulating current values but are held back by strange adherence to tabletop values. Barring some fundamental change and actual vision for long term balance decisions though, I can't see anything of this sort added purely because of arguments against added complexity (despite quirks being fundamentally an incredibly complex balancing mechanism).

tl;dr I don't get the basis for balance decisions in this game and I wish that whoever is in charge of it had a more concrete idea of where they want it to go.

BV won't work in MWO (and some could argue never worked in TT, either) because there are too many factors that don't translate directly to a mathematical reduction. In MWO, you have things like hardpoint placement, hitbox size, boatibility, etc.

But your tl;dr is better summed up as "Welp, that's Paul"

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Coolwhoami posted:

lmao dude come on you aren't new here

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Here's a lot of words about an upcoming patch:

http://mwomercs.com/game/patch-notes

quote:

Tuesday, January 19th @ 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM PST
Patch Number: 1.4.52.0
Patch Size: ~500 MB

Greetings MechWarriors,

It has been many years since the Warhammer last rolled off the production lines of the Inner Sphere, but the 'Mech has never been absent from the memories of experienced MechWarriors. As of this patch, the Warhammer is once again stomping onto the battlegrounds of the Inner Sphere. As with the already-released Marauder and the upcoming Archer and Rifleman 'Mechs, we are extremely happy and proud to re-introduce the Warhammer as the second release in our Classic Inner Sphere 'Mech series.

This patch also sees the addition of Polar Highlands, a brand new map for the Quick Play queue. Featuring mostly even elevation throughout and a high degree of visibility in day or night, Polar Highlands draws its inspiration from some of the open-range map designs seen in previous MechWarrior titles.

One of the most consistent requests we've received over the years has been for the functionality to change your Pilot Name. As of this patch you will now be able to manually change your own Pilot Name through our new web interface. The first change is free, but all subsequent changes will require 4,500 MC to initiate, so make it a good one, MechWarrior.

This patch also features a large number of map fixes and changes, including breakable trees in the Viridian Bog (Quick Play) and Emerald Taiga (Faction Play) maps, changes to the rendering method for all laser weaponry to provide more accurate visual feedback, a reduction to the Cooldown time for all Gauss rifles, improvements to the Weapon Group HUD to provide more accurate visual feedback for determining weapon efficacy at different ranges, a hitbox adjustment for the Hunchback IIC variants, and much more.

Read on for all the details, and we'll see you on the battlefield!

- The MechWarrior Team

Change Log

New Map (Quick Play)

Polar Highlands

This remote base, situated on a remote planet in a remote system, has been locked in perpetual winter since it was established. Founded originally as a purely research-based facility, the majority of useful research opportunities were exhausted within the first decade. Scientists and engineers garrisoned here long after the station had been re-commissioned as a communications relay found they had little to do but reflect on whatever series of professional missteps had led to their chilly re-assignment. When war finally reached this sector, initially breaking out on the more resource-rich and strategically valuable planets closer to the system's K-class star, the few engineers stationed here whose social skills hadn't completely frozen over had the opportunity to find new purpose maintaining the 'Mechs and support facilities for whichever occupying Faction could be convinced to spare them for their utility.

While the frigid temperatures of the Polar Highlands grants pilots with considerable leeway in terms of operational heat, the relatively sparse amount of cover provided by the natural trenches running through this map requires that pilots remain constantly focused on their surroundings and the horizon. Visibility on this battleground is excellent in day or night.

Dynamic Time of Day

Time of Day on Polar Highlands is divided into four quadrants:

Dawn - 20% chance of selection
Day - 50% chance of selection
Dusk - 20% chance of selection
Night - 10% chance of selection

For public matches, each quadrant condenses its 6-hour duration into 15 minutes (the maximum match time for Standard Queue matches).
For private matches, the 6-hour quadrant duration will be condensed over whichever match duration is set in the Lobby.
When accessed through Testing Grounds Polar Highlands will cycle through all of the above cycles.

Breakable Objects

Polar Highlands does not feature any breakable objects.

Single-spawn DropShip drop zones (3 drop zones per team)

Players will drop onto Polar Highlands from one of the three DropShip drop zones for their side. The DropShips will leave the battlefield once they have unloaded their 'Mechs.

New 'Mech

Pictured variant: WHM-BW

Warhammer (Heavy)

A procurement officer requested a "...mobile ’Mech with enough firepower to destroy or severely damage any ’Mech of the same class or lower.” When the final BattleMech rolled off the StarCorps Industries assembly line, the Warhammer fit the bill well, quickly becoming a mainstay in the Star League Defense Force. Its superb balance of armor, weapons, and speed made it extremely popular with Star League Gunslingers as well. Ultimately the Warhammer clinched its place as one of the most successful heavy BattleMechs ever produced.

Release date for MC: April 5th 2016
Release date for C-Bills: May 3rd 2016

Loadout details and discussion of this 'Mech can be found in a dedicated post here.

Pilot Name Change

Players can now change their Pilot Name through the website using the new Change Pilot Name page.

The first name change is free! Any subsequent name changes will cost 4,500 MC, and are non-refundable. If a name is already in use, or is otherwise not permitted, the page will inform you that the proposed name is unavailable.
Pilot Names that are deemed inappropriate are subject to change by Support services to a generic placeholder, after which the player will need to initiate another name change using the web portal.

Important Note: Changing your Pilot Name will create a new profile in your \Saved Games\Mechwarrior Online\Profiles directory. As a result, your new Pilot Name will not carry over your existing custom key maps, in-game settings, or weapon groups!
To carry over your existing settings after changing your Pilot Name, follow these steps:

• Make sure you are not logged-in to your MechWarrior Online client.
• Head to your C:\Users\<windows username>\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles folder.
• Open the Profile folder associated with your original Pilot Name.
• Highlight and copy the following files:

• actionmaps.xml
• attributes.xml
• weapongroups.xml

• Return to the root \MechWarrior Online\Profiles folder and open the Profile folder associated with your new Pilot Name.
• Paste the files you copied into that new Pilot Name Profile folder, overwriting any existing files.
• Log-in to your MechWarrior Online client using your usual credentials
• Your original keymaps, in-game Settings, and Weapon Groups should all be intact.

New Cockpit Items

• Black Widow (Hanging Item)
• Phoenix Black (Hanging Item)
• Phoenix Black (Mounted Item - War Horn)
• Phoenix Black (Standing Item)

New Badges and Titles

Warhammer Standard Pack (and Collector Pack)

The Bludgeon
Warhammer Collector Pack

The Widowmaker
These Titles and Badges are only available through their associated Warhammer Pack. The Collector Pack comes with both.

Gameplay

• Reduced the Cooldown for both IS and Clan Gauss from 5.5s to 5.0s.
• Laser beams will now taper off as they approach their maximum Effective range, beyond which they will no longer render.
• Improvements have been made to the Weapon Group HUD.

• The coloration of weapons in the Weapon Group HUD will now behave more consistently, strictly following these conventions:
• Green (IS) or White (Clan): Target is within Optimal Range
• Orange: Target is within Effective Range
• Black: Target is Out of Range
• Coloration of torso-mounted weapons will now behave according to the position of the torso crosshair.
• Example: In the screenshot below, you can see that the color state of the Torso-mounted Medium and Small Lasers in the Weapon Group HUD now reflects the range of the torso crosshair, not the arm crosshair, and so the two weapons appear green. As the PPC is arm-mounted, and the arm crosshair is casting to infinity, the PPC's appear black.

'Mechs Now Available for MC

Jenner IIC

• JR7-IIC: 2,770 MC
• JR7-IIC-2: 2,770 MC
• JR7-IIC-3: 2,665 MC
• JR7-IIC-A: 2,610 MC

'Mechs Now Available for C-Bills

Black Knight

• BLK-6-KNT: 6,949,667 C-Bills
• BLK-6B-KNT: 7,481,667 C-Bills
• BLK-7-KNT: 6.529.635 C-Bills
• BLK-7-KNT-L: 6,337,635 C-Bills

Map Fixes and Changes

• Alpine Peaks: Fixed a terrain rendering issue in H1.
• Boreal Vault: Fixed a terrain rendering issue in D4.
• Boreal Vault: Fixed an issue in F7 that could cause 'Mechs to float above the ground.
• Caustic Valley: Fixed some levitating rocks in B4.
• Crimson Strait: Fixed an issue in D4 where the overpass ground texture could disappear when zoomed in.
• Emerald Taiga: Trees are now breakable (all 6000 of them).
• Emerald Taiga: Fixed a concrete slab in D4 that was clipping through a mountain.
• Emerald Taiga: Fixed an issue in F5 where a tree could disappear at certain angles.
• Emerald Taiga: Fixed some levitating trees in D4/F4.
• Emerald Taiga: Fixed some terrain clipping issues in E4.
• Forest Colony: Fixed an issue in I8 where 'Mechs could get stuck.
• Forest Colony: Fixed an issue in F10 where water VFX and SFX would occur on the island.
• Grim Portico: Obstructed access to an out of bounds area in B7.
• Grim Portico: Fixed an invisible wall in D4.
• Hellebore Springs: Fixed an issue in D2 where the Omega Generator was clipping into the ground.
• Hellebore Springs: Fixed some levitating grass in E6.
• Mining Collective: Fixed an issue in E3 where a 'Mech could get stuck.
• Mining Collective: Fixed an issue in E3 where 'Mechs could fall through the ground.
• Mining Collective: Fixed an issue in E5 where 'Mechs could float above the ground.
• River City: Fixed a levitating tree and patch of grass in E4.
• River City: Fixed an issue in G3 where a 'Mech could get stuck.
• River City: Fixed an issue in D6 where a 'Mech could get stuck.
• River City: Fixed an issue where players could see through a building in E6 at certain angles.
• Sulfurous Rift: Fixed some levitating trees near D7 spawn area.
• Sulfurous Rift: Fixed an issue in E1 where players could see through the underside of a rock.
• Sulfurous Rift: Fixed some levitating cement blocks in C3.
• Terra Therma: Moved some 'Mech wreckage that could block player movement in E5/D5.
• Viridian Bog: Small trees, medium trees, and root branches are now breakable.
• Viridian Bog: Fixed an area in D4 where 'Mechs could get stuck.
• Viridian Bog: Fixed an area in B6 where 'Mechs could get stuck.
• Viridian Bog: Obstructed an area in G3 where 'Mechs could Jump Jet out of bounds.
• Vitric Forge: Fixed an issue with some ramps in F2/F3 that could hinder 'Mech movement.

'Mech Fixes and Changes

• Hellbringer (all variants): Fixed an issue with the Phoenix War Horn.
• Hunchback IIC (all variants): Hitboxes have been adjusted, with a portion of the Right and Left Side Torso’s above and around the shoulder area now shifted to the Right and Left Arm hit boxes.
• Hunchback IIC (all variants): Torso Pitch Angle has been increased from 20 to 25.
• Hunchback IIC (all variants): Fixed a material issue.

MechLab Fixes and Changes

• Fixed an issue where Structure upgrades were not displaying the correct tonnage for certain 'Mechs.
• Fixed an issue where increasing or decreasing the amount of armor on a 'Mech would not correctly update the availability status of Upgrades.
• Fixed an issue where Clan XL Engines required 3 critical slots in each side torso instead of just 2.
• Fixed an issue where filtering Colors by Owned in the Camo Spec screen could generate duplicate color swatches.
• Fixed an issue where filtering Colors by Owned in the Camo Spec screen could cause rows of ineligible color swatches to appear.

Other Fixes and Changes

• Fixed an issue where equipping the C-Bill Medallion Hanging Item could cause issues with Warhorn audio.
• Fixed an issue where the Pressure Chamber War Horn could flicker when walking.
• Added the ability to change the Screenshot keybinding.
• Performance improvements for targeting information displays.
• Performance improvements for lasers.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pattonesque posted:

Warhammer/new map stream

http://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv

also gauss rifles down to 5 seconds from 5.5 cooldown

Here's the recording of the robot and new map: http://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv/v/36244906

My opinion: It's Canyon Network but with shallower inclines. Almost like they took Alpine Peaks and squished down a lot of the hills so that they're all Canyon Network-sized, then smoothed out the inclines so you don't need jump jets to climb up and peek.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 18, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

A.o.D. posted:

Well, I'd read it, and probably pass it along to my friend who is getting into the game. Speaking of coaxing friends into bad ideas, anyone have good Top Dog builds? I know bracketing is frowned on but without a coordinated group he's settled into using two ERLL in the shoulder slots to poke with and the rest as mediums for when things get close. I'm sure there are better builds that can fight at close and mid range though, but the best I came up with used six ML, three MPL, and an STD310.

Sard fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 18, 2016

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
new map has nice graphics

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Axetrain posted:

Zenobia and I got the same pack over the weekend and have been loving it, especially for brawling. We've used the 5 aSRM6 build, but changed from the metamechs misery build since neither of us like PPCs. We went with 4 MPL instead and kept the armor to really make use of torso twisting. It netted me 1000k damage and 7 kill match, so it works well enough. I think the SRM boat is my favorite though. I didn't use the other stalker that comes in that pack since I had the one with large laser quirks, but she was running four LPL and 2 ml, averaging 400-500 damage a match (which is really good for her).

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I WOULD CARE MAYBE. I would think at the very least it might help newbies understand that the gently caress is going on with them and why they matter.

Finster Dexter posted:

BV won't work in MWO (and some could argue never worked in TT, either) because there are too many factors that don't translate directly to a mathematical reduction. In MWO, you have things like hardpoint placement, hitbox size, boatibility, etc.

But your tl;dr is better summed up as "Welp, that's Paul"

Sure, but those can be managed by changing the BV of the mechs themselves in theory. That would obviously require some sort of large effort to make that happen, and would have been enormously easier when this game was initially released, but that cannot be changed at this point. It also doesn't fix issues related to matters of long range/short range specialization that this game rotates through like a loving blender, but at least it would be possible, in theory, to make all mechs potentially valuable/useful.

abuse culture. posted:

lmao dude come on you aren't new here

I know, I know, but I like to think that it is possible for Paul to wake up one day and realize that a lot of these things require not only advanced planning but a clear understanding of what the gently caress it is you want to have happen to the game other than playing balance whack-a-mole, which is what we have right now. Also, name and post combo

As a somewhat aside, and since everyone who writes on this is a gigantic mongoloid apparently: I assume that the crit damage done by weapons applies only to the modules that they hit, and not the internal structure itself (as in, I get some crits on some components, does the extra crit damage only apply to the critted modules or does it hit them and also effective cause multiple hits to structure HP)? The way things are written implies the former, as well as my own experience with orbit shooting, but I want to make sure I am misunderstanding. This is yet another half-implemented system that could be made to be relevant with some changes, as crits to actuators or the like would make that whole "piloting a hosed up robot" feel a lot stronger, as well as making crits more useful at incapacitating mechs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

:justpost: Make the post. :justpost:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

TheStampede posted:

So I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I'm sitting on 12 mill, and I have a choice. Do I a) buy the Stormcrow, or b) cash in my Shadow Cat and go for a Timber Wolf?

I have an XL kitted out Thunderbolt as well. CW isn't a huge issue, but eh, it's supposed to be the thing, eventually. The Stormcrow is pretty sex looking, but having more guns and armor then my Thunderbolt while still being maneuverable would be nice.

Don't sell your shadow cat(s). Once you know how to make it dance, you'll have a wonderful time.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Coolwhoami posted:

Sure, but those can be managed by changing the BV of the mechs themselves in theory. That would obviously require some sort of large effort to make that happen, and would have been enormously easier when this game was initially released, but that cannot be changed at this point. It also doesn't fix issues related to matters of long range/short range specialization that this game rotates through like a loving blender, but at least it would be possible, in theory, to make all mechs potentially valuable/useful.

You'd have to balance every single possible loadout completely on a case-by-case basis, down to the level of arbitrating which weapon is placed in high shoulder mounts or not and whether weapons are hidden behind a giant shield arm, etc. So, what you're saying is actually impossible.

Coolwhoami posted:

I know, I know, but I like to think that it is possible for Paul to wake up one day

Also impossible

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:justpost: Make the post. :justpost:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
imagine a mechcommander game with these mechanics

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/15/10776486/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak-gameplay-preview

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

quote:

:getin:

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

:20bux: name change holy poo poo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Summary: quirks should be location specific, and more strongly emphasize a mech's role.

In MWO, what decides how good a mech can be is a factor of speed, mech geometry, weapon location, weapon slot availability, and hitboxes. On top of that, you have a quirk layer that improves or hampers a mech. With that said, the first factors I mentioned are the most important. At this time, it looks as though the Marauder is a good robot, and it is not particularly strongly quirked. The Stormcrow has no positive quirks of note, and yet it's widely accepted as the best medium mech. The awesome is a strongly quirked mech, and yet it doesn't see meaningful play at almost any level of the game.

Furthermore, quirks as they stand now tend to not take into account the mounting location of the weapon systems they benefit, nor do they properly reward role specialization. Let's look at a few examples:

The Jaegermech JM6-S is the inner sphere's best heavy dakka boat. It is strongly quirked and has outstanding high gunmounts that can clear almost any terrain the pilot can see over. You can fit 2x AC/20s, 2x gauss rifles, 4x UAC/5s, or almost any other ballistic configuration you can conceive of. A similar mech is the Cataphract CTF-4x. It also has 2 ballistic mounts in its arms. However, it doesn't have enough room to mount an AC/20, and those arm mounts are much closer to the ground than the Jaegermech's. It has to completely expose itself if it wants to shoot at range. Furthermore, compared to the Jaegermech, the Cataphract 4x's quirks are essentially non-existent. Basically, the CTF-4x has absolutely no reason to exist. There is nothing it does better or differently than the similar Jaeger, and in fact comes with max engine penalties. It has a nearly useless head missile slot, and 2 fewer energy mounts, and those that it does have are critically space limited.

Basically, the Cataphract needs a really hard looking at. It's in a bad place. In order to be effective in the same game as the Jaeger, it needs stronger quirks, possibly on the order of 50 to 100% stronger.

Furthermore, with the numbers of mechs ever increasing, PGI needs to look at the roles mechs should fulfill. With the release of the Warhammer tomorrow, now's a good time to compare the Warhammer and the Marauder. Both mechs are very energy weapon focused, with a few small differences: Several marauders can fit jumpjets, but can't make full use of their torsos. The Marauder has a massive side profile, but can make excellent use of one side to shield the other. The Warhammer doesn't shield as well, but presents a much narrower profile in an engagement, and has enough torso slots to operate with a dead side. Ultimately, both mechs operate in the same tactical space, which are as heavy energy boats that allow for tanky play style. Currently the real difference is if you want a high autocannon/laser mount, or if you want a high missile mount with lots of torso utilization. I think that a better differentiation would be to give the mechs more clearly defined roles through quirks. Both mechs are heavy support platforms, but Warhammers have always been more brawly and better defended. I'd remove the WHM's mobility quirks and instead give it moderate general purpose energy quirks and strong structure boosts. The Marauder, since it's more of a stand off mech, and has jump jets and less protection, would receive better mobility quirks, and weapon quirks that were more focused on PPCs and Large Lasers (depending on the specific mech) at the cost of removing or reducing general energy bonuses.

In short, decide what a mech's role is, and focus quirks on that role.

Finally, I think that quirks should be locked to a specific location on a mech. A warhammer has large, vulnerable, and low slung PPC arms. It also has a gob of torso energy hardpoints that are tighter to the center axis and mounted higher up on the mech. If I were building a WHM, I'd absolutely put my main guns on the torso, and either ignore or place secondary weapons in the arms.

Under the current system, why even bother to model the arms on the mech in the first place? If you pilot a WHM the way it was designed, you have to stand out in the open on a hill to use your main guns. There's very little reason to take on that risk when you could place your guns in a much more advantageous location. Make it so that when you have weapons in vulnerable locations, they really do extra work. Give MASSIVE velocity, rate of fire, and heat bonuses to PPCs mounted in those arms, but weapons mounted elsewhere don't get those benefits. Make it worth it to stand your mech out in the open so that you can use your best weapon systems. Mechs that can fire all their guns while only exposing a sliver of themselves should enjoy nowhere near the benefit that a mech that has to stand and deliver.

tl;dr: there is no tl;dr

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
**Important Note: Changing your Pilot Name will create a new profile in your \Saved Games\Mechwarrior Online\Profiles directory. As a result, your new Pilot Name will not carry over your existing custom key maps, in-game settings, or weapon groups!**

Well, at least you get one for free!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

quote:

Seems like a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

You'd have to balance every single possible loadout completely on a case-by-case basis, down to the level of arbitrating which weapon is placed in high shoulder mounts or not and whether weapons are hidden behind a giant shield arm, etc. So, what you're saying is actually impossible.

After now having bothered to even touch the calculation system for BV, I am now inclined to agree, given its high degree of complexity as well as similar lack of basis for what it is trying to accomplish (similar to other tabletop strategy games). Furthermore after having thought about the implications or trying to hang loadout balance on this poo poo without it breaking in one direction (It appears that BV rewards fitting excessive weapons in TT because the reduction in BV applied due to heat inefficiency is so beneficial), This would just add a new system in which the same sort of optimization hunts would occur, with the slight benefit of having shittier mechs not necessarily dragging the team down so much.

quote:

Also impossible

This is the real reason, although I have to assume this whole iterative balance pass initiative was at least somewhat had him involved, and its done wonders for the game.

e:

I strongly agree with this, to the former naturally, and to the latter I think is an excellent way to get past this whole "we don't want to balance mechs via hardpoints" thing that I think stems from them not wanting to remodel mechs in order to do that.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 19, 2016

• Locked thread