Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Gooey sequel voip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SCSI is correctly pronounced "Sexy" :colbert:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

KillHour posted:

I've always heard scuzzy.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bigass Moth posted:

He thought the rack mounted ups was a switch? Just clarifying because that's so stupid I had to reread that many times.

Yes, he "configured" a rackmount ups for like an hour before the day was over - took him forever to find a cable to hook up to it. We made many jokes about a 1-port switch. Different guy than the one referred to in the quote, though.

e: I hope :ohdear:

e2: fixed previous post to be more clear.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 18, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I still wish variable length subnet masks could somehow be acronymized to VSLM so they could be called Vee-Slams.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 18, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'll have to make do with DSLAM

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KillHour posted:

That reminds me. There's a guy at work that pronounces UPS phonetically (as if it's the plural form of the word up). It drives me crazy.

It's actually pronounced "oops"

:colbert:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

KillHour posted:

More like "Oh God, why did I start doing anything with this poo poo, where's the booze?"

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I started with Macs in early 1993, and I still remember the "Mafia" rule of SCSI: Loose ends bad, termination good !

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pixaal posted:

I've always heard scuzzy.

Well, you heard wrong.

The guy that invented it wanted it to be pronounced sexy, but everyone at ANSI said "no loving way," so they changed it. :ssh:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It's cool when Marketing tries to dictate IT policy.

quote:

As of this morning Person Who Quit (pquit) is no longer an employee here at Company. I am not sure of the process but I wanted to ensure that her remote access and all permissions were removed.

I also would like IT to take her machine and keep it on a shelf for a minimum of 30 days before repurposing the computer in case we need to access it to grab code, documentation, etc from.

I guess ignorance of the process is permission to assume we don't have one in place.
And yes; he told us what the former employee's AD username is, as if we wouldn't know.

I told him that we have an offboarding process and if he wants us to keep this person's files, it will be a restoration from her latest backup put on a share... and that such a request will require a separate ticket.

Then he replied thanking me but spelled my first name wrong :argh:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Thanks Ants posted:

You'll have to make do with DSLAM

Only if you use Macho Man voice.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
One thing I can't loving stand is a client that tries to blame us (the MSP) for problems they create for themselves out of their own incompetence. Case in point:

Client router fails on site last week, secondary backup router picks up, we get an alert that the hardware failed but everything on site appears to be up. Our network guys look at the issue, confirm everything is good, we call the client and update them on the issue. Unfortunately calling the main IT contact went to voicemail, so we left a message and sent out an email including him and 2 other site contacts so they're aware of what happened.

Main IT contact flips his poo poo saying we didn't contact him. He didn't check his voicemail because he didn't recognize the engineer's phone number who called. Instead of checking his voicemail anyhow, or email after that, he goes to one of the other site contacts and asks her for an update. She's on a call and can't answer right away, so he goes to the third site contact and finally gets his update on what happened with the router.

Not once did he check his phone messages. Not once did he look at his email to get the update. Yet in our meeting today, this idiot is sitting at the head of the table playing with his goddamn phone most of the time. We reiterate that our first method of contact is always phone, because during an outage it's the fastest way to get in touch. He tried dancing around the issue and kept stating that email is his main contact. So I ask how he expects us to contact him by mail in the event of a power outage or network problem, since they have an Exchange server on site. Typical deer-in-headlights staring at me like I grew a second head, until I explained that if power goes out, or network goes down, Exchange can't send or receive messages, period. Brought it up in simple terms, as "your car won't run without a battery, how would you expect your server to work without power or internet?" and he finally understood and agreed to keep his phone handy. We made sure he added us as contacts for the future too.

How are people this loving dense?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

KillHour posted:

Well, you heard wrong.

The guy that invented it wanted it to be pronounced sexy, but everyone at ANSI said "no loving way," so they changed it. :ssh:

And much like "gif" ignoring the creator's intent was the correct choice.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What's your opinion on the giga- prefix?
G as in Gigantic or G as in Giggle.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

"A less experienced technician comes to you for help. The Chief Engineer is cheap and doesn't want to buy new backup hardware. Buffalo Terastations are melting and catching fire in the server room. The technician is pretty sure his Chief Engineer has Tourette's, autism, severe paranoia and an addiction to huffing Sharpies and licking used toner cartridges. General Manager doesn't want to deal with the CE but wants the backups fixed, new access points bought and installed, new workstations quoted, new firewalls and switches, a budget of $373 and accounts already set up with CDW and TigerDirect. What is your course of action?"

There we go, tailored to fit almost any situation!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Giggle-bytes, duh. Or jiggly-bytes alternately. It can get tricky.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 18, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hard G sounds better, but soft G means I get to use the phrase "Jiggawatts of power," which is immensely funny to me. Tough choice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ten Jiggabytes of animated Jifs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ozz81 posted:

How are people this loving dense?

And he probably makes more than you :unsmith:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
JayFeg.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LRllx9RVDs

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

A ticket came in...

quote:

Getting messages my Cntrl is pressed down. Curser running across screen. Strange messages.
Since wireless I replaced the batteries last week in keyboard and made sure mouse charged.
Still getting messages and images poping up as if I hit a function key or manually did a Contrl / Alt command.
Would use some help here. Thanks.
By the way. It's totally inconsistent. So don't be surprised if it functions properly for you

Please forgive any typo errors; mans fingers were not made for PDA'S.

That last line is his email signature.

I couldn't replicate the issue when sitting at his computer but I could watch it happen to him. Hard reboot and replacing his wireless peripherals with wired equivalents didn't fix it. Then he took it upon himself to "borrow" a spare computer to hook up at his desk and still had the same issue. Eventually I tracked all the wires coming out of his computer and discovered that someone, maybe my idiot predecessor, maybe some prankster, had at some point put a second keyboard under his desk against the wall, run the cord up through his desk, and plugged it into his computer. When he leaned back or scooted up close, his feet would hit the modifier keys and cause erratic typing/clicking behavior. I couldn't replicate the issue originally because I am several inches shorter than he is.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We got power supplies out on the plant with the naming scheme _APS1, _BPS1, _CPS1, etc

I'm trying to get everyone to say it out as words instead of letters because I'm a loving child and want to see if I can get management to start saying "bepis". So far it's not working out but I'm going to keep trying :argh:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I think SQL should be pronounced "squeal"

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Mr. Fix It posted:

I would go for this because my biggest gripe about "sequel" is that it's not any faster than just reading the letters.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ugato posted:

I would go for this because my biggest gripe about "sequel" is that it's not any faster than just reading the letters.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

iRend posted:

"The client says their website is down and you have been called into the conference call. What do you do?"

Sigh loudly, log in to their VPS and start the service

Can I be hired?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wasn't there a brief attempt to get 'www' changed to 'web' like 15+ years ago because people were bored it reading it out on TV?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Mr. Fix It posted:

still better than "squirrel"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I had someone on phone support read this to me as "triple-w". That is faster, but it took me off guard because it sounds so weird, you never hear it!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Wasn't there a brief attempt to get 'www' changed to 'web' like 15+ years ago because people were bored it reading it out on TV?

I don't know but it's also completely superfluous so they should switch to non-www domains if they care

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

AlphaKretin posted:

I had someone on phone support read this to me as "triple-w". That is faster, but it took me off guard because it sounds so weird, you never hear it!

dub dub dub dot google dot com

i heard a newreader say that version once, i laughed

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Danith posted:

Sigh loudly, log in to their VPS and start the service

Can I be hired?

Sure!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&pagenumber=86&perpage=40#post454093288

In other news....

I'm sure lots of tickets are going somewhere. The company that hosts our courses forgot to renew their domain. Only $69! Tempted to buy it and link to disgruntled ex-employee reviews on glassdoor.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I know plenty of folks who just say "dub-dub-dub"

e:f;b

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

iRend posted:

The company that hosts our courses forgot to renew their domain. Only $69! Tempted to buy it and link to disgruntled ex-employee reviews on glassdoor.

I think we all know what we would do in a similar situation

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aunt Beth posted:

I know plenty of folks who just say "dub-dub-dub"

e:f;b

It's your own drat fault for speaking a language that uses a three syllable word to describe a single letter.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
my coworker accidentally said "weeweewee" once and it was the funniest poo poo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Did he run all the way home?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
unfortunately he did not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bobbilljim posted:

my coworker accidentally said "weeweewee" once and it was the funniest poo poo

One time I was on a call with a customer and did my impression of the Apple computer startup noise to let her know when to press a button.

You could practically hear the records scratch sound effect in the office as everybody stopped and stared at me.

• Locked thread