Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

So I've got a modern Eldrazi ramp into Titans deck I've built since the BFZ prerelease. The only creatures in it are true colorless, and all of the Annihilator Eldrazi play a prominent role. It isn't great, but in the few times I've played it against someone else, it's done well. Will I get utterly stomped at FNM , or is it more casual than the GP scene?

Generally speaking, of course. I'm sure it varies on a store by store basis.

Are you running the Tron Lands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you running the Tron Lands?

not yet. Oh, its also singelton at the moment, for whatever its worth.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chairman Pow! posted:

So I appear to have missed the boat already on the new eldrazi deck. It looks cool, but especially the land for it is insane at the moment. When do you buy things in Modern for a deck?

It seems like the eldrazi deck went from unknown and dirt cheap to suddenly almost 700$ in the span of a few weeks. The market price jumps in this game are massive and sudden.

If a card is good in the playable sense, it can't be cheap because a lot of people will want it, because it is cheap. A low price card with high power becomes in high demand. The demand seems to have no limit, other than price. This isn't the first time this has happened, and it won't be the last.

It was only like 3 years ago GR Tron was a cheap deck. Jund was $2000 in 2013 and Tron was like $250-300. The only card in it that had value was Karn, and that was more EDH than anything else. Tron used to be good at beating Jund and UWR control and that was it. Jund at that time had Deathrite and was just the devil. Tron however couldn't do much else well, so it was a tier 2 Timmy deck more or less. The price of Tron has gone up like 2.5x in the past month, with Twin banned it is the 2nd most expensive deck in Modern behind Jund, and if it weren't for Goyf being Goyf, it would likely be the king of modern in terms of price right now.

The December price spike is a thing, but it isn't arbitrary #mtgfinance. Tron is a fantastic deck right now. It has been going up because Newlamog is that good in working over its worst matches (Twin and Infect) plus the general sense that Oath had more to offer Tron (and it sure does). It is exactly the right time for Tron to spike in price, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if post PT assuming it does well it doesn't see another spike.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 19, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jassi007 posted:

If a card is good in the playable sense, it can't be cheap because a lot of people will want it, because it is cheap. A low price card with high power becomes in high demand. The demand seems to have no limit, other than price. This isn't the first time this has happened, and it won't be the last.

Treasure Cruise was good in the playable sense and was always cheap.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Treasure Cruise was good in the playable sense and was always cheap.

You got me. :P The foil was crazy priced for a common foil $20. Also I think everyone knew that it was a dead man walking. There was no way ancestral recall was going to survive in modern. I played the hell out of UR Delver for those couple glorious months.

But you are correct. The better way to express what I'm trying to say is probably, if a deck is actually good, it won't remain cheap. A given part or parts of it might not be expensive, but as a whole there just isn't such a thing as a really good cheap deck. Even burn in modern saw price bumps when it showed it was a real deal and not just that EZ deck you'd lend a friend. Naya burn with all the fetches costs $900 in paper. Even if you take out the Arid Mesa's its still like $700.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 19, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

jassi007 posted:

You got me. :P The foil was crazy priced for a common foil $20. Also I think everyone knew that it was a dead man walking. There was no way ancestral recall was going to survive in modern. I played the hell out of UR Delver for those couple glorious months.

But you are correct. The better way to express what I'm trying to say is probably, if a deck is actually good, it won't remain cheap. A given part or parts of it might not be expensive, but as a whole there just isn't such a thing as a really good cheap deck. Even burn in modern saw price bumps when it showed it was a real deal and not just that EZ deck you'd lend a friend. Naya burn with all the fetches costs $900 in paper. Even if you take out the Arid Mesa's its still like $700.

Part of that is a grip of Goblin Guides being almost 140 bucks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
You just need to also factor in scarcity. Treasure Cruise was a common in a current block.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

kizudarake posted:

FNM is supposed to be more casual. The flatter the payout for the entry fee, the more casual it should be. If it's free entry and win a box prizing, it'll be full of grinders. If it's 5 dollar entry, everyone gets a pack, 1st gets 3 extra, second gets 2 extra, 3rd gets 1, it should be more casual.

But I wish this were true where I play. It's four dollar entry, usually a 16-20 pack split at top four and I don't remember the last time I didn't play either Jeskai Black or Abzan aggro rounds three and four.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
So sad feels today; currently have my whole collection back together, at least bar a few shocklands a friend is borrowing. Or at least that's what I thought. I had a box of cards at my parents place and some more that was in storage due to all the moving around I've been doing, and finally going through all them recently. I appear to be missing a bunch of cards I thought I had. Mainly playsets of the two Khans block Phoenixes, some of the new dual lands a couple of painful truths, and playsets of Chained to the Rocks and Stormbreath (never got around to trade them away, whoops)

Maybe they're all tucked into a different box or something, but I'm pretty sure I looked in all the boxes I'd kept MtG stuff at this point. I think someone must of pilfered them out of my bag at work or when I wasnt looking at the shop, probably months ago before I just plopped everything in storage too. Here I was all excited to get back into standard and all. :smith:

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 19, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

kizudarake posted:

Man when I bought into burn it was like... $400? Guides spiked last year and again this year and now even the common spells in the deck are all $3. I kept telling people to buy Eidolon when they were $3, now they're $10 and I'm convinced they'll make their way to $20 within a year. Magic feels more expensive than it ever has now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

not yet. Oh, its also singelton at the moment, for whatever its worth.

Singleton will be the thing that gives you the most losses

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Is the cantrip really that valuable for Modern Eldrazi? I've been eyeing 3 Relic of Progenitus and 4 Surgical Extraction. If any deck would want Surgical Extraction (or Extirpate, for that matter) this seems to be it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Singleton will be the thing that gives you the most losses

I've just learned to hate four-of. Every game is the exact same with those decks, its like reading the same lovely book over and over and over again until you're so goddamn sick of it you cant stand to even see the cover. At a certain point you might as well just stack the deck and play in a predetermined order. At least with a generally singleton deck, each time I play makes me react differently, think up new strategy, and respond to threats in previously unused ways. Id go Commander, but I couldn't use my Emrakul, so gently caress that noise.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Kilo147 posted:

I've just learned to hate four-of. Every game is the exact same with those decks, its like reading the same lovely book over and over and over again until you're so goddamn sick of it you cant stand to even see the cover. At a certain point you might as well just stack the deck and play in a predetermined order. At least with a generally singleton deck, each time I play makes me react differently, think up new strategy, and respond to threats in previously unused ways. Id go Commander, but I couldn't use my Emrakul, so gently caress that noise.

I don't think the competitive constructed formats are for you. Your deck would likely get crushed at FNM, even by people running what count as janky brews in the format.

Maybe your best bet is kitchen table magic with your buddies? Best to play in a way you can have fun.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Emerson Cod posted:

Is the cantrip really that valuable for Modern Eldrazi? I've been eyeing 3 Relic of Progenitus and 4 Surgical Extraction. If any deck would want Surgical Extraction (or Extirpate, for that matter) this seems to be it.

I main deck 2 Surgical and they've been handy. T1 Thoughtseize and Extraction on Twin is well worth 4 life To think we won't see that again...

Max out on Relic though, does a lot for you. Possibly even take some Skittering Claws after that.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

newtestleper posted:

I don't think the competitive constructed formats are for you. Your deck would likely get crushed at FNM, even by people running what count as janky brews in the format.

Maybe your best bet is kitchen table magic with your buddies? Best to play in a way you can have fun.

Yeah, it probably is. But I do want to hit up FNM, if only for the fact that there's a shitton of people to meet. I'm wondering if building a functional deck would be worth it, if only for that.

How are Zombies these days?

Actually, any of these a good start?

http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/view/2898

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Man when I bought into burn it was like... $400? Guides spiked last year and again this year and now even the common spells in the deck are all $3. I kept telling people to buy Eidolon when they were $3, now they're $10 and I'm convinced they'll make their way to $20 within a year. Magic feels more expensive than it ever has now.

Were you the one that was saying that they were criminally underpriced? I listened to you and bought two play sets at 4 dollars each and traded a playset for a Jace recently.

I also just traded two of my extra flooded strands for a playset of atarkas commands. I was tempted to say no but I had 7 stands so whatever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I wonder how long before Burn ends up on the chopping block.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think you can outright kill burn in the same way as you can kill decks that are heavily built around one card (like Twin and Pod). All the deck wants is "cheap creatures that do damage" and "cheap spells that do damage" and there are any number of slightly worse near-equivalents people could switch to if you ban any one card. The least replaceable effect is probably Eidolon but it was still a deck before that card was printed.

You could probably push it out of tier 1 though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Never, Burn is solid but there are some limits to it and nothing that could just push it right over the top.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
well you could ban lightning bolt but if they do that i will murder someone

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Would banning Lightning Bolt actually make burn a worse deck? It would power down the majority of the rest of the format as well and in particular would make it a lot harder to deal with Swiftspears and Nacatls in a reasonable timeframe.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

A Bolt ban would be as close to the straw that breaks the camel's back as you could possibly get in Modern.

I'd be done with it at that point, if they'd ban Bolt it'd be an awful sign for the format and what they want out of it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Never, Burn is solid but there are some limits to it and nothing that could just push it right over the top.

The deck gets upgrades more or less every block. Especially with the precedent they set with the twin ban, maybe there is a breaking point (of course, it can't be outright killed, I talking about weakening it).

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kilo147 posted:

Play decks that are more interactive or have more possible decisions to make while playing them. I don't usually care for aggro decks because they often feel like they could play themselves, but picking a more nuanced archetype that also cares a lot about your opponent's game can make the same deck stay fresher longer.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The deck gets upgrades more or less every block. Especially with the precedent they set with the twin ban, maybe there is a breaking point (of course, it can't be outright killed, I talking about weakening it).

Beyond adding things like Boros Charm and Swiftspear the deck hasn't gotten much better at counting to 20 (Atarka's was a big deal as well).

If they put more 4 for 2 cards in the format, or more copies of Swiftspear/Goblin Guide I could see Burn getting better at that to a dangerous degree, but you'd either need to up the efficiency of the burn or have more Guides printed.

If you want to weaken Burn, print a good sideboard card for it any color can run and you'll shut it down quick, and that's a thing that shouldn't be hard to do if WotC hypothetically wanted to.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 19, 2016

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Voyager I posted:

Play decks that are more interactive or have more possible decisions to make while playing them. I don't usually care for aggro decks because they often feel like they could play themselves, but picking a more nuanced archetype that also cares a lot about your opponent's game can make the same deck stay fresher longer.

any recommendations for someone still new to the game?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Beyond adding things like Boros Charm and Swiftspear the deck hasn't gotten much better at counting to 20 (Atarka's was a big deal as well).

Revelry + Eidolon as well (not that you were denying the overall point)

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Kilo147 posted:

Yeah, it probably is. But I do want to hit up FNM, if only for the fact that there's a shitton of people to meet.

Does your store play limited? No need to spend loads of money on a deck, and you get to pick up new cards for your kitchen table decks as you go.

Draft is the best format.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rinkles posted:

The only they could do is reprint price of progress then ban it.

Edit: oh and fireblast.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

Burn can never fail, it can only be failed by bad players.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I have just now noticed, and become appreciative of the beautiful curve that is the vertical cycle of colorless eldrazi rares. Kind of sad it stops at 7, but then again so does any other deck in a reasonable meta.

It makes a mono wastes Kozilek deck feel more viable/real.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Gensuki posted:

I have just now noticed, and become appreciative of the beautiful curve that is the vertical cycle of colorless eldrazi rares. Kind of sad it stops at 7, but then again so does any other deck in a reasonable meta.

It makes a mono wastes Kozilek deck feel more viable/real.

I'm already working on this deck. But I'm running lots of bane of bala ged and topping off with ulamog. It won't win ever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Eidolon was pretty big. In addition to just being efficient it helps gives you game against aggressive combo decks that would otherwise be too fast for you.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Eidolon was pretty big. In addition to just being efficient it helps gives you game against aggressive combo decks that would otherwise be too fast for you.

If you go first it does put a dent in infects plans, affinity is a bit too fast. It wrecks boggles though from what I have experienced.

My favorite infect win was when I dropped it turn two, they built for another turn and swung in with me untapped for 10 infect. Deflecting palm killed em.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kilo147 posted:

any recommendations for someone still new to the game?

I've really been digging this deck so far. It's an Aristocrats deck, which means it gains benefits from its own creatures dying, and it usually wins by throwing bodies in front of enemy attackers until it has ground out enough of an advantage to win the game. This particular build also has a lot of fun tricks it can play that give you ways to mess with your opponent's plans. Collected Company and Rally the Ancestors both let you slam creatures onto the board in the middle of your opponent's combat phase, and the threat of a mass pump on Nantuko Husk is something your opponent will always need to play around (though you should also be careful about feeding all your creatures to a Husk attack just to have it die to a removal spell). The other good news is that most of the cards in the list aren't really played in any other deck, so it's pretty cheap to put together as far as decks go. The only moderately expensive card that you really can't replace is Collected Company.

If you're a beginner, this also has the upside of training you on some of the mechanical nuances of the game. You have a ton of triggered effects that play into each other (be ready to have five things happen from one creature dying) and can do a lot of neat stuff at instant speed, so while it will take a bit to wrap your head around exactly what's going on, once you've got it you'll have a much better understanding of how to play the game.

An example of goofy stuff this deck can do, from a game I played the other day:

I had a Liliana, Heretical Healer on the table. She's a creature that turns into a Planeswalker when another creature I control dies. My opponent goes to cast a removal spell on her, which this something this deck doesn't have a straight answer for. I respond with a Collected Company, find a Fleshbag Marauder, and the sacrifice trigger causes Liliana to flip, dodging the removal spell.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 19, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

What the gently caress, don't tell me you quit modding. You were a great one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone got some B/W Eldrazi lists?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kizudarake posted:

I bought my playset at $7/card, and what's best of all is that I bought them to build a T2/3 Goblins deck for Modern :lol: The ultimate irony is that if I wanted to use them to their "full potential" in a Burn list I'd still be dropping 700 or so on a list since I don't own any other Burn cards besides the Bolts and Swiftspears.

All these cool decks I want to play and zero money to make them :sigh: Also my "land money" in Modern is tied up in Esper lands, with no good Esper deck currently out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The nice things about these price spikes is that tarmogoyf will soon be at the appropriate price for what it does. $150 for a dumb green creature that doesn't even have trample? Yeah sure I'll believe it when snapcasters, which can literally be any non-permanent spell in the game, hits $200. Someone please correct this grievous price mistake.

• Locked thread