Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I've never really got it when somebody says "this anime looks/is old" as a negative. What's wrong with old anime? The cut-off line for what is and isn't too old that some people have seems kind of arbitrary.

Reds fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reds posted:

I've never really got it when somebody says "this anime looks/is old" as a negative. What's wrong with old anime? The cut-off line for what is and isn't too old that some people have seems kind of arbitrary.

Some animation holds up compared to newer stuff despite how old it is because of the effort put in, some just looks uproariously poo poo because other newer shows did the same thing a lot better and you just didn't know better at the time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

In broad strokes, style tends to follow trends of the time or accepted practices. As mentioned, this is a negative to people who aren't familiar with it, but it's more intellectually honest to just say you don't like a style rather than a whole era; For instance, some newer shows will make a conscious effort to ape those older styles and people will say it looks ' old' while actually meaning they just don't like that style (they are criminals, but what can you do).

For instance, there is some real garbage in the 90s 'style' that you could point to and say "man I hate the 90s" or whatever but then you find something that's in that style but is also animated very well and it holds up a lot better to scrutiny than the budget rear end shows of that time. There's cheap rear end stuff done in today's 'style' that people will point to in a decade and say they hated the style in the 2010s even when there are fantastically animated shows today.

Given how anime is a pretty arbitrary way to portray a person it being a little one way or a little another way is less important than the animation and care used in its production.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

A tip before starting Diebuster: Go into it with an open mind. It is not more gunbuster, do not expect it to be

Someone should have told me this before I tried the other day. I really tried. But I hated it so much.

Reds posted:

For me it's about what quality and style you're used to. For me, even early 2000's stuff was pretty trying because the style felt conspicuously weird and the overall animation quality is very different because analog was still the way to go back then. I don't think it was until IG pulled off Stand Alone Complex that things really started changing, though if I'm wrong on that please correct me. At the very least it was around that time.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 19, 2016

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Someone should have told me this before I tried the other day. I really tried. But I hated it so much.

Diebuster is good, you just have to take it as different than a normal sequel. Watching the whole thing also sets at easy the disparities between GB and DB. It's def not as face value pleasing as GB is. It takes a little head work to position it in contrast.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

For me it's about what quality and style you're used to. For me, even early 2000's stuff was pretty trying because the style felt conspicuously weird and the overall animation quality is very different because analog was still the way to go back then. I don't think it was until IG pulled off Stand Alone Complex that things really started changing, though if I'm wrong on that please correct me. At the very least it was around that time.

Early 2000s anime is kind of an odd duck. You have to take into account external circumstances to get the full picture. Animation has always been a tedious and expensive process. Back in the 80s and 90s, the Japanese economy was riding the bubble, and luxury expenditures like anime were having money thrown at them hand over fist. It was more common for a TV series to run 50+ episodes, or for an OVA to have a budget that translated directly into higher quality.

Then, in the late 90s, the bubble burst, and there's this brief period where anime budgets are slashed to the bone and the quality reflects it. Within a few years, studios begin to adapt, and they start to rely on newer tools like CGI and digital inbetweening. While they can't get the budgets they used to, they became able to do more with the budgets they were getting.

Age by itself has very little to do with the quality of a work. Disney's Fantasia or the Fleischer Studios' Superman cartoons are about as good as animation ever gets, and both of those are over 70 years old at this point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Redline took something like seven years to complete, and goddamn does the effort show.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Reds posted:

Nah, I definitely didn't mean it as a negative in Gunbuster's case. I wasn't too terribly impressed with some climactic scenes (parts of the end of episode 5, for instance), but it's mostly a matter of taste. I suppose this is because I was exposed to newer anime first, plain and simple.
For what it's worth, I consider Giant Robo one of the best-looking animations ever, so there's that :v:

I've only watched the first episode of Diebuster so far, but it already looks amazing for me - I mean, there's CGI that DOESN'T look like rear end, holy poo poo! I can see why it's something else than Gunbuster entirely already. It's cool. Let's see where it goes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Redline took something like seven years to complete, and goddamn does the effort show.

It's a great insane action race movie that is also a neverending series of amazing desktop backgrounds

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Early 2000s stuff has aged rather poorly in many cases since so many studios were trying out new tricks.

A lot of early digital coloring is the worst, it's so garish that everything feels wrong.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Early digital inking looks like absolute trash, a lot of early 2000s shows just have awful lineart and colouring that looks pretty bad as a result. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Whatever tech or technique they were using just didn't make pleasant lines. I find the early 2000s way worse than the eighties as a result. But that's not fair because I don't have a problem with the eighties and cel animation to begin with.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Old animation is usually pretty cool, but I still don't like all that junky limited animation studios like Filmation and Hanna-Barbera were producing in the 60s and 70s. Sorry Flintstones fans.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

Early 2000s anime is kind of an odd duck. You have to take into account external circumstances to get the full picture. Animation has always been a tedious and expensive process. Back in the 80s and 90s, the Japanese economy was riding the bubble, and luxury expenditures like anime were having money thrown at them hand over fist. It was more common for a TV series to run 50+ episodes, or for an OVA to have a budget that translated directly into higher quality.

Then, in the late 90s, the bubble burst, and there's this brief period where anime budgets are slashed to the bone and the quality reflects it. Within a few years, studios begin to adapt, and they start to rely on newer tools like CGI and digital inbetweening. While they can't get the budgets they used to, they became able to do more with the budgets they were getting.

Age by itself has very little to do with the quality of a work. Disney's Fantasia or the Fleischer Studios' Superman cartoons are about as good as animation ever gets, and both of those are over 70 years old at this point.

early 2000s gainax anime is IMO the best looking animation in anime? i guess 2004 isn't really early 2000s maybe but diebuster is what i mean

no, i don't think the bubble had anything to do with animation quality except in the most general sense of there not being a market for huge disney-like feature films, and by the way the bubble burst in 1992, not 'the late 90s'. declining budgets in some kind of vague linkage with GDP is commonly cited by people with vague, poorly sourced just-so explanations of why anime is bad but i don't think it's actually a thing. certainly i've never seen any hard numbers on budgets over time ever and i don't believe that the average direct-to-video TV anime in 1994 had a meaningfully bigger animation budget than today

part of the problem is how flooded with shows/productions the industry is. but that doesn't have anything directly to do with the size of the market or Japan's GDP or whatever

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 19, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I will fight anyone who doesn't think that The Wings of Honneamise is the best looking anime of all time.

Except Redline because gently caress

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

That launch.... :flashfap:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay so I watched all of Diebuster. It's good and I might actually like it more than Gunbuster. Action is sometimes a bit incomprehensible, but drat that is some good looking anime right there. Also, ridiculously awesome mechs. I don't like space that much as a setting as opposed to - I guess - ground-based mech action, but no complaints here. Also, no, I refuse to believe Nono's dead, she's out there somewhere crawling out of a singularity :qq:

Last comment:

littleorv posted:

I suggest you watch Gunbuster and then Diebuster because Diebuster has the cutest robot in anime.

You son of a bitch

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Okay so I watched all of Diebuster. It's good and I might actually like it more than Gunbuster. Action is sometimes a bit incomprehensible, but drat that is some good looking anime right there. Also, ridiculously awesome mechs. I don't like space that much as a setting as opposed to - I guess - ground-based mech action, but no complaints here. Also, no, I refuse to believe Nono's dead, she's out there somewhere crawling out of a singularity :qq:

Last comment:

You son of a bitch

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really love Diebuster's ending and how it ties in to Gunbuster

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
diebuster and gunbuster are both cool with lots of super rad animation, i think it just comes down to preference with both of them

also i haven't seen wings of honneamise yet but i don't know what i'd call the most beautiful movie i've seen, cause gently caress there are some really incredibly animated movies out there. i don't really even know if it would be possible for me to pick one as the most beautifully animated i've ever seen

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Colonel posted:

diebuster and gunbuster are both cool with lots of super rad animation, i think it just comes down to preference with both of them

also i haven't seen wings of honneamise yet but i don't know what i'd call the most beautiful movie i've seen, cause gently caress there are some really incredibly animated movies out there. i don't really even know if it would be possible for me to pick one as the most beautifully animated i've ever seen

I think I'm gonna give a cliche answer and say Akira, since there's hella detail in everything and lots of motion to boot.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wings of Honneamise is great and folks should watch it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Millennium Actress and Paprika are my favourite animes for visuals.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm just gonna say that tamako love story is my favorite feel-good movie of all time and i like it

my favorite movie in general is definitely mind game though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Redline motherfuckers

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What are the good anime movies that aren't studio ghibli/satoshi kon etc ones that everyone knows because I haven't watched many

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the good anime movies that aren't studio ghibli/satoshi kon etc ones that everyone knows because I haven't watched many

Captain Invictus posted:

Redline motherfuckers

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Oshii directed a bunch of cool films. Other movies that come to my mind are Akira, Mind Game and while I'm not a huge fan of the guy, Shinkai directed some movies that people quite like.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would say that's one of the ones everyone knows

I guess to be more specific since my request wasn't very helpful what are the good anime movies that aren't
- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- 5cm Per Second

(because those are the ones I've already seen)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess to be more specific since my request wasn't very helpful what are the good anime movies that aren't
- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- 5cm Per Second

Patlabor the Movie, and Patlabor the Movie 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
both of the patlabor and both of the ghost in the shell movies are ridiculously beautifully animated, or at least patlabor 1 is when it matters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- 5cm Per Second

tamako love story

it's technically a sequel movie to tamako market but it really stands on its own, tamako market is only even really worth watching for a handful of stand-out good episodes

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- 5cm Per Second

have you seen the other mamoru hosoda films?
a letter to momo?
mind game and other yuaasa anime?
the saint young men movie?
You Are Umasou?
tekkon kinkreet?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
metropolis is a good movie, also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAdqU7WBYg

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- 5cm Per Second

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Wings of Honneamise is great and folks should watch it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The actual movie isn't all that great but Garden of Words is easily what I would call the best looking anime film that I've seen.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I dunno how I forgot to put Mind Game on the list, it is probably the best one

I haven't seen any of the other suggestions though - thanks everyone. I dunno why movies aren't recommended more often because I'm too lazy to commit to 26 episodes of something

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Help Im Alive posted:

- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- 5cm Per Second

Angel's Egg.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

a letter to momo?
mind game and other yuaasa anime?
tekkon kinkreet?

This. I didn't like hosoda's other movies though.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- 5cm Per Second

Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is great, although requires having seen the series, and the Madoka movie was pretty good too. Haven't seen them, but I guess people like the Evangelion movies.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Memories and Neo-Tokyo are more collections of shorter films than features, but they are really dang good. Bonjour, Galaxy Express 999 and Adieu, Galaxy Express 999 are a really good pair to watch, I'd spread them about a week or a few days apart. Seconding Metropolis, as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I dunno how I forgot to put Mind Game on the list, it is probably the best one

I haven't seen any of the other suggestions though - thanks everyone. I dunno why movies aren't recommended more often because I'm too lazy to commit to 26 episodes of something

I think it's just that a ton of anime movies aren't available to stream legally and these days if it's not streaming it might as well not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wolf Children is a good movie