Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Don't give Taimi too much credit, it's Scruffy that really put in the legwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I dunno, the story is really crippled by the lack of interesting characters either way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Adhesive Gamin posted:

End Golem Slavery Now!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Warbler toad dude introduced in like the 2nd HoT mission is the new best character.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wrong, it's boring rear end poo poo.

Nah, for an MMO, it's actually pretty good. Does anyone really expect Shakespeare-level of storytelling in an MMO? I can't think of any MMOs that have better storytelling.

Edit: Some of the characters are a little boring, I do concede. I blame the voice acting.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 18, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

central dogma posted:

Nah, for an MMO, it's actually pretty good. Does anyone really expect Shakespeare-level of storytelling in an MMO? I can't think of any MMOs that have better storytelling.

Edit: Some of the characters are a little boring, I do concede. I blame the voice acting.

SWTOR, TSW, LOTRO, all significantly better storytelling and those just the ones I've played. GW2's living story is so boring I've stopped playing it halfway through, that never happened in any of those other games.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

SWTOR, TSW, LOTRO, all significantly better storytelling and those just the ones I've played. GW2's living story is so boring I've stopped playing it halfway through, that never happened in any of those other games.

I haven't played tsw, so that may be. The other two (which I have played) have the advantage of being borne from decades old billion-dollar franchises. I mean, you're right, their stories are great, but they did come out of the gate with a distinct advantage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

central dogma posted:

I haven't played tsw, so that may be. The other two (which I have played) have the advantage of being borne from decades old billion-dollar franchises. I mean, you're right, their stories are great, but they did come out of the gate with a distinct advantage.

GW2 was building off a very popular and deeply fleshed out decade old world. Not buying that as an excuse, to be fair.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CLAM DOWN posted:

GW2 was building off a very popular and deeply fleshed out decade old world. Not buying that as an excuse, to be fair.

I don't think it's fair to compare a single COORPG to the behemoths that are Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
"Good for an mmo" doesn't make it good.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

"Good for an mmo" doesn't make it good.

I was just trying to compare apples to apples. It's all subjective anyway. Some people like the storytelling, some hate it, some don't even care, and no one is wrong :toot: I'm glad I enjoy it, though, because I'd be a little miffed if I spent so much on the expansion and ended up hating the storytelling.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

central dogma posted:

I was just trying to compare apples to apples. It's all subjective anyway. Some people like the storytelling, some hate it, some don't even care, and no one is wrong :toot: I'm glad I enjoy it, though, because I'd be a little miffed if I spent so much on the expansion and ended up hating the storytelling.

For sure, I'm glad you enjoy it too. It really sucks how boring and unfun I find it. I think it's totally fair to compare to other AAA MMOs no matter what the background is, so it was a huge letdown as the MMO I played before GW2 was SWTOR, and TSW before that, and LOTRO before that. So yeah finding the story here lovely does suck.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the storytelling kinda took a nosedive when they trimmed everything down to the most boring continent: tyria

cool, fairly generic fantasy not-europe. this hasn't been explored before. Wow

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

For sure, I'm glad you enjoy it too. It really sucks how boring and unfun I find it. I think it's totally fair to compare to other AAA MMOs no matter what the background is, so it was a huge letdown as the MMO I played before GW2 was SWTOR, and TSW before that, and LOTRO before that. So yeah finding the story here lovely does suck.

At least the GW2 lifetime sub was significantly cheaper.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Meh, if I was playing a game for a story, I'd just play Hatoful Boyfriend. I play GW2 for the guild missions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

I play GW2 for the guild missions.

Do those have good voice acting?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

For sure, I'm glad you enjoy it too ... So yeah finding the story here lovely does suck.

Thank you. Hopefully for your sake and others' they will improve the storytelling in the next LS. For what it's worth, there is some optimism on the official forums from those who also found HoT lacking. Can't find the discussion thread atm.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think Taimi is adorable, but I'm one of those weirdos who found Tiny Tina hilarious because thirteen year olds are ridiculous creatures. Ones with a gift for explosives, doubly so.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

central dogma posted:

For what it's worth, there is some optimism on the official forums from those who also found HoT lacking. Can't find the discussion thread atm.

GW2 operates on a continuous cycle of optimism and disappointment. Did you hear about all the SAB assets that have been data-mined? It's coming any day now!

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Probad posted:

GW2 operates on a continuous cycle of optimism and disappointment. Did you hear about all the SAB assets that have been data-mined? It's coming any day now!

I'm optimistic that the announced revenant nerfs will be balanced by buffs in other areas (namely Ventari legend), but...yah, I don't know if I'm ready to face the disappointment.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

central dogma posted:

I'm optimistic that the announced revenant nerfs will be balanced by buffs in other areas (namely Ventari legend), but...yah, I don't know if I'm ready to face the disappointment.

Hey man, even rangers eventually got their day, so cheer up! At least you aren't thief.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Johnny Joestar posted:

the storytelling kinda took a nosedive when they trimmed everything down to the most boring continent: tyria

I've always felt that the Guild Wars world and the lore surrounding different things is much more interesting than the actual "here is some story for you" parts of it. This is an incredibly goony analogy, but it is in some ways similar to how I felt the Star Wars prequel movies filled in so many mysterious and cool parts of that universe with really inane stories and explanations. Even when it came to the other conteninents of GW1, I always felt like exploring the world and poking around was much more immersive and interesting than, say, the story of Generic Asian Demon Badguy. I will note that I never got very far into Nightfall or Eye of the North, though.

However in other ways I think GW2 improved a lot in storytelling. Mainly this comes from the more detailed world (i.e. zones and cities), the dynamic event system, and activities like jumping puzzles, fractals, and guild missions. These activities out in the world are a lot of fun to go find because, while at times hokey (both in terms of story and gameplay), they tell both self-contained stories and stories that relate to the world at large, and they often don't take themselves as seriously as the main personal story. They also don't contain ridiculous loads of "who gives a poo poo" expository dialogue.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

Hey now it used to be ruled by tattooed Sicilians(E: scratch that I can't actually think of what real world group they're meant to be, how's that for non-awful fantasy?) in bamboo fishing villages on the edge of the jungle :kryta:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I understand that they really wanted to fill out their content instead of having a huge amount of empty old gw1 areas. But now that kryta is starting to get all fleshed out, it'd be nice if we can start getting other areas. Sadly it appears that all the dragons live in kryta for some reason. Maybe we'll get palwala joko when the dragons are dead and gone.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Krytans are Mayans and Ascalonians are the Spanish, obviously

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sprite141 posted:

I understand that they really wanted to fill out their content instead of having a huge amount of empty old gw1 areas. But now that kryta is starting to get all fleshed out, it'd be nice if we can start getting other areas. Sadly it appears that all the dragons live in kryta for some reason. Maybe we'll get palwala joko when the dragons are dead and gone.

how did you manage to get so many things completely wrong in one paragraph :spergin:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

how did you manage to get so many things completely wrong in one paragraph :spergin:

Well, let's see, Zhaitan's in Orr, Jormag's in the Far Shiverpeaks, Mordremoth's in Maguuma/Magus Falls, Kralkatorrik's in the Crystal Desert, Selbbub is in the deep sea (where are those underwater dragon minions you said were springing up in rivers Anet), and Primordius is under the Shiverpeaks. Literally no elder dragons are in Kryta. So that's one thing.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also they're not fleshing out Kryta, HoT and all new zones are in Maguuma.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

TSW has really good writing and quest design in the beginning. The first zwo zones are superb if you just play them as an adventure-rpg.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I'd really like to give the Raid a shot, but I don't trust pubbies. Or myself.

Does Goon Squad usually run the Raid? If so, when?

I'm finally installing Mumble so that will be one hurdle jumped, I imagine. Anything else that would be required, other than on-hand alcohol?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Illuyankas posted:

(where are those underwater dragon minions you said were springing up in rivers Anet)

Well it's free content they can't monetize in the gem store, so even with good intentions there's your answer. Harsh but true.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

mind the walrus posted:

Well it's free content they can't monetize in the gem store, so even with good intentions there's your answer. Harsh but true.

Minis of those critters can be monetized. :smuggo: Checkmate.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Probad posted:

If it weren't for Taimi I never would have made it through the living story / expansion story.

Same, what a lil trooper. MMO story telling saved.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Gaile Gray came to visit Lion's Arch, I had a meaningful community exchange with her:

The screenshot with her nameplate has a huge fractal prompt in the middle, nice timing Agilus.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Softface posted:

The screenshot with her nameplate has a huge fractal prompt in the middle, nice timing Agilus.

Don't worry, I can back you up here.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also they're not fleshing out Kryta, HoT and all new zones are in Maguuma.

Yeah, more Maguuma, woohoo,

Remember in the original Guild Wars, after taking one or two characters through the jungle everyone just skipped it and never bothered with the annoying place ever again?

Or was that just me? 🤔

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Softface posted:

You're welcome. Also I did some spvp tonight. Apparently killing this guy made him mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

snograt posted:

Yeah, more Maguuma, woohoo,

Remember in the original Guild Wars, after taking one or two characters through the jungle everyone just skipped it and never bothered with the annoying place ever again?

Or was that just me? 🤔

Nope; the fact that the expansion was featuring Maguuma heavily was one of the reasons I wasn't too thrilled about it.

• Locked thread