Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

HelloWinter posted:

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve one's sense of consistent proportion?
I think your character looks pretty consistent FWIW. The pillow is really distracting, though. When I cover up the hands and pillow, the shot reads fine.

Are you doing cleanup in order of frame hierarchy? (Keys-Extremes-Breakdowns-Inbetweens) It helps a ton. Also, the shift and trace trick is a serious protip. It can also help to have a model sheet or turnaround in your working file as a hidden layer. Look at it for reference when you tie down/clean up your keys and extremes to check against the model.

The other big thing for me is to analyze the proportions and express them in some kind of verbal standard, i.e., measure your good drawings and write yourself notes like "nose is 1/3 from bottom of chin" or "head is 5 eyes wide." A lot of model sheets on studio projects have these kind of notes and it's for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When his eyes and nose shifts down, the cheek doesn't seem to move the same amount. Try drawing guides on another layer of where the forms are so you can follow how they shift (alternatively sculpt a quick 3d version in Mudbox or Scuptris and use that as reference the way old-school Disney guys did with clay models.)

Anticipating the pillow move up would also probably really help. Right now it just seems to be shifting up instead of being motivated by the body action.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I can't draw so I won't comment on proportions, but during his head turn it's a good and pretty standard location to close the eyes and squash the head, so that they can open and the head can stretch big again once he has finished turning. Also right now if you follow the nose during the rotation it's a dead straight line motion, add some arc to it along with the squash/eyes and it'll have a lot more appeal.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Wow, such great feedback!! Thanks a lot guys! I should have checked up on the forums sooner before continuing my clean-up yesterday, haha... But I promise to edit it asap with the help of your comments. I've already cleaned up the head, hair and torso and I've tried to settle down the pillow squishing (to be less spazmatic), but I'll definitely go ahead and tweak with the head proportions, motion arcing, and the timing for proper anticipation. Again, thanks a lot for the feedback. It makes me super happy. :)

On that note, yeah, making a 3D mockup of this character would prove to be a very valuable asset for this... I'll dust off Mudbox/Zbrush and give it a whirl sometime soon.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Client work has been really slow recently, so I've been playing around with character animation in After Effects/DUIK, trying to get a hang of offsetting motions to make things a little more interesting. I would love to make real frame-by-frame stuff, but I don't think I have the patience.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm trying to decide which type of art style I should go with my animated short film.

I have the following:

1: http://i.imgur.com/KsrVEJL.jpg
2: http://i.imgur.com/mJyEseY.jpg
3: http://i.imgur.com/9Mi8tHA.jpg
4: http://i.imgur.com/k4YyBbQ.jpg
5 http://i.imgur.com/jmrYrlV.jpg
6: http://i.imgur.com/gVnKZEG.jpg
7: http://i.imgur.com/0wFA31E.jpg

FunkyAl posted:

Ayyyy I just "finished" an "animated short film" It's an epic of lust, starring rats.

https://vimeo.com/151856475

~enjoy~

Pretty interesting, though the story was a bit hard to follow.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Are you in animation school? If you are I'd recommend taking a year off and just working on your draftsmanship before attempting an animated short film. The painting style variety in your work looks mainly like just different photoshop filers/brushes applied to really rough lineart. I don't know how well you maintain those forms through motion in space, and it's hard to comment on a look-dev for animation without seeing a bit of how it would look in motion (just a head turn would be enough.)

Go with less garish, clashing colors though. Check out the Dam Keeper color scripts and more about color theory to understand which schemes look good together. Or use Adobe Kuler to generate a palette.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ccs posted:

Are you in animation school? If you are I'd recommend taking a year off and just working on your draftsmanship before attempting an animated short film. The painting style variety in your work looks mainly like just different photoshop filers/brushes applied to really rough lineart. I don't know how well you maintain those forms through motion in space, and it's hard to comment on a look-dev for animation without seeing a bit of how it would look in motion (just a head turn would be enough.)

Go with less garish, clashing colors though. Check out the Dam Keeper color scripts and more about color theory to understand which schemes look good together. Or use Adobe Kuler to generate a palette.

I'm not in school. I'm doing this just for fun. Yeah I've always been used to drawing more so than animating. This is the first time I am using actual painted backgrounds. And yeah that is exactly what I did for the character. I just covered her in with a specific brush.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

HelloWinter posted:

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve one's sense of consistent proportion?

become incredibly anal about construction lines, their relative proportions and horizontally flip every frame as you're drawing it. The sense of maintaining volume comes with flipping back and forth between keys religiously.

Looking a lot better! I'd suggest a more irregular "rhythm" between the key poses though, at the moment it feels very even, very regularly timed.

HelloWinter posted:

On that note, yeah, making a 3D mockup of this character would prove to be a very valuable asset for this... I'll dust off Mudbox/Zbrush and give it a whirl sometime soon.

WEAKNESSSSS

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

oh also hello I was 2d director and lead animator on seven volkswagen ads produced to a truly ridiculous schedule

http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8OSEy0q-LfeD_9gDHZQRRE4fNzVxOUpk

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

bitmap posted:

oh also hello I was 2d director and lead animator on seven volkswagen ads produced to a truly ridiculous schedule

http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8OSEy0q-LfeD_9gDHZQRRE4fNzVxOUpk
Really great work on these commercials!! It's a darn shame about the tight production schedule, but the overall style still looks pretty solid and entertaining! Could I ask which animation studio(s) took part in making these commercials? I'd love to see more stuff made from you lovely people!!

quote:

become incredibly anal about construction lines, their relative proportions and horizontally flip every frame as you're drawing it. The sense of maintaining volume comes with flipping back and forth between keys religiously.
That is definitely a trait that I need to motivate myself (or boldly strive towards) if I want to survive in the industry long enough after graduation. I say this to myself on a daily basis even... I've still got so much to improve on. I'm the kind of artist who's not very attention-oriented but that might be because I'm impatient to put down results that looks semi-presentable, but uh, that's definitely a dangerous habit I want to rid of haha. You're totally right though, and it's something I'm trying my best to get good at. Horizontally flipping drawings is a thing I do constantly when illustrating something, but I never realized that I might be able to do that with animation also. I'll have to look up on how to seamlessly do that through Adobe Flash (what I'm working with for my thesis film) but it should be possible with its transform tool.

quote:

Looking a lot better! I'd suggest a more irregular "rhythm" between the key poses though, at the moment it feels very even, very regularly timed.
Thanks a lot!! That is so true and I'm hitting myself on the head for that now because I'm really tempted to re-time and re-draw a lot of it, haha. I'll be utilizing a lot of timing charts on individual parts of the body to emphasize certain actions and (hopefully) make the motion much more pleasing and interesting... But that might be done later on after I complete more animation. I do not want to tie myself down to just one scene, just so I can afford to finish my film in time for the end of April.

quote:

WEAKNESSSSS
Hahaha, I don't know what you mean by this but I hear ya. :D

Here is another short scene from my film that I'm currently on track to finish cleaning up. For this thing I decided to experiment and not rough out the in-betweens, I'm basically tying down my key poses and breakdown poses, cleaning those up, time them with timing charts and then finally inbetweening them by using a mix of onion skinning and flipping. Now uh... This experiment was being done to see how quick the process would be compared to roughing up everything, but now I'm heavily concerned using this process just because of the way I'm doing the in-betweens. It has a high chance to look very evenly timed in terms of rhythm and thus not have an interesting, varied motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EUyPrmf-OM

Finally to end this post, here's my first attempt at making a live-stream session. My initial goal was to concentrate on animating and talking about light subjects but instead I kind of rattled a bit too much and didn't do much progress. Was just voicing my opinions about studying animation at Sheridan College (Canada) but most of that turned negative, unfortunately haha. Oh dear... Next attempt I'll just overlay music along with the animation without talking, I think.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I think those cleaned up drawings look pretty good. You could use a cushion into 33 and/or an overshoot and settle.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Any other opinions?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You really really need to improve your drawing fundamentals before you try to do anything else.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

You really really need to improve your drawing fundamentals before you try to do anything else.

Will do. Though can you be a bit more descriptive of what is wrong with my drawing?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Unfortunately there's so much that you need to work on that it's hard for me not to be harsh here. But here goes:

- Your lines are all "hairy," as if each one is made up of a bunch of tiny little strokes. This is a common feature of beginner's work. You have to learn to make decisive lines in one stroke. It's OK to make a few light practice lines before you commit to a darker line, but the overall point is that your lines should be smooth and continuous and not "petted" with a bunch of tiny little strokes.
- As a result, there's practically no consistency or believable depiction of form or tone. In the example drawing you posted, the door frame behind the character doesn't look like a door frame. It's lumpy and uneven as if it were made of mud daubs.
- Your perspective is completely wrong.
- The overall impression of the drawing is messy and crude. Other than the presence of some vaguely-recognizable shapes, it doesn't come across as a drawing of a human figure.
- To be extremely frank, it looks like a child's drawing.

If you are serious about learning how to draw, please put away any graphics tablets and go back to really basic fundamentals. Really ANY "how to draw" book would help you. Practice drawing basic forms with a confident hand. This can be difficult to do on a Wacom tablet if you don't already have pretty well-developed skills with traditional media. Good line is especially hard to do on a tablet even if you're great with a pencil. Practice drawing clean circles and straight lines, then progress gradually to three-dimensional forms like spheres and cubes. There's a fairly good free online course here: http://drawabox.com/.

Look very critically at your own work, then look at the level of work you'd like to be able to achieve. You have to do this continually and without flinching. I hope this helps.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

Unfortunately there's so much that you need to work on that it's hard for me not to be harsh here. But here goes:

- Your lines are all "hairy," as if each one is made up of a bunch of tiny little strokes. This is a common feature of beginner's work. You have to learn to make decisive lines in one stroke. It's OK to make a few light practice lines before you commit to a darker line, but the overall point is that your lines should be smooth and continuous and not "petted" with a bunch of tiny little strokes.
- As a result, there's practically no consistency or believable depiction of form or tone. In the example drawing you posted, the door frame behind the character doesn't look like a door frame. It's lumpy and uneven as if it were made of mud daubs.
- Your perspective is completely wrong.
- The overall impression of the drawing is messy and crude. Other than the presence of some vaguely-recognizable shapes, it doesn't come across as a drawing of a human figure.
- To be extremely frank, it looks like a child's drawing.

If you are serious about learning how to draw, please put away any graphics tablets and go back to really basic fundamentals. Really ANY "how to draw" book would help you. Practice drawing basic forms with a confident hand. This can be difficult to do on a Wacom tablet if you don't already have pretty well-developed skills with traditional media. Good line is especially hard to do on a tablet even if you're great with a pencil. Practice drawing clean circles and straight lines, then progress gradually to three-dimensional forms like spheres and cubes. There's a fairly good free online course here: http://drawabox.com/.

Look very critically at your own work, then look at the level of work you'd like to be able to achieve. You have to do this continually and without flinching. I hope this helps.
Thanks for being honest. I'll try out the course.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 28, 2016

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015
Hello everybody ,thought I would pop in and share a hobby project I have been working on

Nice thread you got going here some good reading and advice :) I enjoy learning and creating digital environments and animations when I have the time . Put a more detailed breakdown in the video feedback is always welcome.

Rumble In the Jungle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0mKNqrs590

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Whoa, awesome environment work moon raker!! Unfortunately I have almost no knowledge of realistic 3D rendering so I can't help you with proper feedback... I did feel like the animations seemed to be too static, or it lacked the kind of spontaneity that's to be expected from realistic 3D models. i'd avoid animating pose-to-pose and try to add a few breakdowns during the in-between process that can help to emphasize the main actions and to add a bit of variety to the movement. Another thing you could do is watch some footage online (youtube, etc) of wild animals and study their movements in order to incorporate it into your own animations.

Here's another gif of a coloured version of my animation. I've added some follow-thru with the cloth on the final key pose.

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015
Thanks for the feedback Winter I agree a few of the animations come of a bit robotic mainly the croc scene . And some times I just overloaded the engine and it skipped frames in the animation. First time I have tried to animate creature models it was good fun . I cant draw to safe my life so not one to give out advice , But nice work on your drawing , You planning to make a short animation ?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

moonraker posted:

Thanks for the feedback Winter I agree a few of the animations come of a bit robotic mainly the croc scene . And some times I just overloaded the engine and it skipped frames in the animation. First time I have tried to animate creature models it was good fun . I cant draw to safe my life so not one to give out advice , But nice work on your drawing , You planning to make a short animation ?
Ahh, I understand. It was definitely a good first try!! I'd love to see more stuff like this in the future from you. :) I'm currently working on my thesis animated film (about one minute in length) so that's where all of these gif animations are coming from. I'm currently posting my progress in a blog here: http://nicolemartinfilm.tumblr.com

Here's two comparison animations of a newly drawn scene in its rough stage. The first one was taken after timing out the action, and the second one was after fixing some positional issues along with adding a perspective cheat when the guy's running towards screen right.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ah, you're at Sheridan. Did you see this film by one of their graduating students this year? It's brilliant.

https://vimeo.com/141734077

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Ccs posted:

Ah, you're at Sheridan. Did you see this film by one of their graduating students this year? It's brilliant.

Yeah, absolutely! Taha was a pretty awesome student who specialized in life drawing. I saw his drawings hung on the hallway wall the majority of the time.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Ccs posted:

Oh my goodness, this is amazing.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

There is also Melody Wang's film that came out along with Taha's that people should check out! There is some rumour that it might turn into a televised series, which is some pretty exciting development! Both Taha's and Melody's film are Oscar nominees for short animated films this year. :)

https://vimeo.com/124256124

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Nice, yeah I saw that too. Though honestly I don't envy anyone going through the painful process of pitching to networks. A friend of mine from Sheridan has also been going through that process for around 3 years now, and getting nowhere. Studios in Canada are mostly focused on service work, and TV executives with the power to greenlight are some of the most fickle bastards out there.

Nickelodeon sometimes gets some Sheridan students and starts developing their films into series and flies them down to LA, but they partially do that because if you're a Canadian on a work permit in the US, you're likely to agree to much more favorable terms for the network when it comes to negotiating payment and the ownership of your IP. Same reason that Canada employs a lot of animators from Asia and India (and even the US) - if you can't leave the country and your work permit is tied to that studio, you will settle for what they'll give you instead of trying to bargain for more.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been working in TV animation for a short while now and already seen a lot of people get screwed over. Be cautious out there. And watch this talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtQQmmbvmGc

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Ccs posted:

Be cautious out there.

You aint kidding

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks again neonnoodle for recommending http://drawabox.com/.

I have so far completed lesson 1 and have improved a lot and realize how much I have been doing wrong. I have been drawing with my wrist rather than my shoulder for example. While drawing with my shoulder seemed initially weird, now it is almost second nature. I can also draw lines and shapes far easier.

I also realize how much I struggle to do certain things. Especially drawing cubes or working with perspective.

I probably won't work on my cartoon until I am done with the entire 15 lesson course. I'll probably post some before and after drawings some time of the previous scene I drew.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 5, 2016

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015

Ccs posted:

Wow, such talent what a great concept

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015

Ccs posted:

Nice, yeah I saw that too. Though honestly I don't envy anyone going through the painful process of pitching to networks. A friend of mine from Sheridan has also been going through that process for around 3 years now, and getting nowhere. Studios in Canada are mostly focused on service work, and TV executives with the power to greenlight are some of the most fickle bastards out there.

Nickelodeon sometimes gets some Sheridan students and starts developing their films into series and flies them down to LA, but they partially do that because if you're a Canadian on a work permit in the US, you're likely to agree to much more favorable terms for the network when it comes to negotiating payment and the ownership of your IP. Same reason that Canada employs a lot of animators from Asia and India (and even the US) - if you can't leave the country and your work permit is tied to that studio, you will settle for what they'll give you instead of trying to bargain for more.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been working in TV animation for a short while now and already seen a lot of people get screwed over. Be cautious out there. And watch this talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtQQmmbvmGc

Interesting video the man tells it how it is . Seems like a difficult environment to make a living .

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Made a final-ish composite on a scene, I'm thinking about sticking to this style for the rest of it. I also added a little camera effect and it helps so much.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
This looks terrific! Very Chuck-Jones-ish.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That's lovely. The little blink before the turn is a really nice touch.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Thanks a lot guys!! Is anyone else participating in this month's 11 Second Club contest? I'm having fun with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CVJ16h_tf4

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The cuts seem a little fast. I would cut the one shot where he looks over at the one fox who is reaching for something. Just make that a reaction shot from the big guy looking over at one of the animals next to him.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I know it's not on the same level as you guys but we've all got to start somewhere.

Original :

My tiny loop :

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Nice one, B.P.W.! The colour choices are quite pleasing. Don't be afraid to experiment more with animation!! It's lots of fun.

Ccs posted:

The cuts seem a little fast. I would cut the one shot where he looks over at the one fox who is reaching for something. Just make that a reaction shot from the big guy looking over at one of the animals next to him.
You're right, it's way too fast to read properly. I'm taking all three scenes and I'm going to merge them together so that it'll flow better. Thanks man!

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Have some gifs.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Wow that's so weird, I was just drawing food a few minutes ago.

I call this one hotdog freak child :

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Please post the full version of this clearly pornographic hot dog gif.