Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

1-1 at league night tonight.

Ran Poe and Red Ace tricked out about like you'd expect backed up by Katarn with TLT. Faced Vader, Whisper, and Crack Shot Scourge. Made some stupid moves and it came down to Poe vs. Whisper, Poe was outflown and riggidy wrecked.

Katarn went down embarassingly quick and I'm forced to concede I'd have been better off with a Fun Cop. Should be getting Most Wanted in the mail this week so next time I'll give it a try.

Second game I dropped Katarn and played a brand new guy running Epsilon Leader, Omega Ace, and Soontir right out of a freshly cracked Intercepter xpack. Having a surfeit of them, I just flat out gave him a PtL since Fel doesn't even make sense without it. Dropping Katarn put me a point under all that stuff. And I totally outflew the brand new guy running the starter plus one expansion with my regenerating T-70s.* :toot: I think I'll hook him up with a cheap/free extra Imperial Aces I have laying around if he turns up next week.

Went from zero turnout last week to five. Scheduled our store championship for Feb 6th. Exciting times!

*E: It's what I already had put together and I didn't want to keep him waiting while I built a different squad, lest ye judge.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I guess I missed it, what is fun police?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TaurusTorus posted:

I guess I missed it, what is fun police?

Another term for stress hog, usually when flying in conjunction with regenerating x-wings. Unless I'm using the term wrong.

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Total: 26

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
That's my understanding

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
After my first time at a game store X-Wing night ran into a 3PO Miranda/fun cop/K-Wing tactician build, I came back a second night to fight regen T70s and a fun cop, then Whisper/Omega/Vader. I had fun against the triple aces list!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I expect that regen aces will outlast stresshogs in the meta. Corran's been around for years, but ion hogs went out of style pretty quick.

Stress hurts the Imperial aces the most, as they are utterly reliant on their actions to survive incoming fire. An X-Wing (probably) won't die the first time it ends up in arc without a focus, but Soontir can (and does) if he gets caught without tokens.

Imperials are getting a bunch of low-cost, PS8ish aces in the next few shipments. We already got Omega Leader, soon we'll have the TIE Adv Prototype, and not long after that we'll have Imperial Veterans with Tomax Bren.

These guys, who you can kit out to be nasty at 25-30 points, are going to blow Imperial list making wide open. We'll see 4 ship Imperial builds, I guarantee, and that alone will start taking the need for stresshogs away. It simply hurts a lot less when 1/4th of your list can't take actions than it does when a primary pillar gets hosed.

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012

kingcom posted:

Guidance Chips, Guidance....Chimps.

Disappointed there's no edits to the text there to include something about bananas.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wanted to be able to use them while flyin' casual. Sorry. :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I really want to make a list built around this dumb Esege/Poe interaction. Garvin Dreis didn't get so much work done, alas.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

I expect that regen aces will outlast stresshogs in the meta. Corran's been around for years, but ion hogs went out of style pretty quick.

I tend to agree with you. Stressbots can also be outflown since they tend to rely strongly on hitting with attacks in-arc and in the case of Tactician at specific ranges, but a regenerating X-Wing or That One Corran Build remain strong regardless of circumstances.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Can I be the dumb noob who needs to ask what Chimps are

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm 0-2 now in my league, and I feel like I'll never get a hang of maneuvering correctly. I have no idea what I could have done to win. (not that I didn't make mistakes, but I just don't know what i could have done better). I guess not running into asteroids as much, but then I wouldn't have been in as good positioning to swarm attack, and I didn't get hurt by it much anyway so it didn't seem to really be that bad anyway. :shrug:

Being unlucky with shots didn't help me (my opponent rolled much better red dice than me, one shoting and nearly one-shotting all of my ships.).

For some reason I was having more fun with the RL games, even if I lost I just felt like I had a better grasp of space. If I wasn't having trouble with transportation I'd quit this and just start going to the local group again. oh well.

My swarm was two Academys with TL mods, two epsilon FOs and two sabre interceptors. One interceptors got killed on the approach, and I was just killed one by one, like I said sometimes with massive red rolls (3 hits and a crit). My opponent had a A-wing, a E-wing and Miranda TLT long ranging (like the last player, but thankfully not 3 of these bastards). I did get the A-wing, for a meager 100-15 loss.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Swarms are fairly difficult to fly anyway. So not being able to fly a swarm list while being new isn't exactly surprising.

This might be able to help you out

http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_do...43aacd6606bc134

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Floppychop posted:

Swarms are fairly difficult to fly anyway. So not being able to fly a swarm list while being new isn't exactly surprising.

This is the truth. When I was playing on Sunday this was basically a big part of how I won my second game, by baiting an otherwise skilled player who generally sticks to two- and three-ship lists into an asteroid patch, and then when everyone was playing bumper cars I had Dutch circle around bombing and TLTing everything while my X-Wings did the K-turn shuffle back and forth.

e; my inexpert opinion re: swarm lists is too many people get caught up in trying to formation fly constantly to their detriment. Like sure, fly in formation for that first pass, but when it looks like things are about to get dicey break people off in ones and twos and start, y'know, swarming.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 19, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Sabre Squadron interceptors is an interesting choice. That's 42 points in some pretty fragile ships. I would run 3 black Squadron TIE s in their place errday instead. Put Crack Shot on em and we are really in business.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Also on the list building tip (since that's a lot easier than flying advice), seems to me if you're running Academy with targeting computer, may as well pay one more point for epsilon squadron /FOs and get the shield and s/loops, too?
Alternately pay one more point and get Black Cracks, which will have initiative on other swarmers, immunity to the Predator kicker, a surprisingly scary EPT, and are generally my current go to for "swarming, but with some pinache."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
5x Alpha Squadron Interceptor w/Autothrusters or go home.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Floppychop posted:

This might be able to help you out

http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_do...43aacd6606bc134

The link is invalid/expired.

Kai Tave posted:

This is the truth. When I was playing on Sunday this was basically a big part of how I won my second game, by baiting an otherwise skilled player who generally sticks to two- and three-ship lists into an asteroid patch, and then when everyone was playing bumper cars I had Dutch circle around bombing and TLTing everything while my X-Wings did the K-turn shuffle back and forth.

e; my inexpert opinion re: swarm lists is too many people get caught up in trying to formation fly constantly to their detriment. Like sure, fly in formation for that first pass, but when it looks like things are about to get dicey break people off in ones and twos and start, y'know, swarming.
Yeah, I did break off fairly quickly (Actually I separated them at the beginning so the Ties and FOs were together and the interceptors were alone. After turning I peeled one tie or FO fatter the K-wing, but I couldn't keep up with it slaming.

Maybe I need to try doing non-swarms more. I did do a two ties + a bomber last time and that failed badly, though as I noted, it might be more the kind of obnoxious IMO list I played against, in additon to my lack of general skill.

canyoneer posted:

Sabre Squadron interceptors is an interesting choice. That's 42 points in some pretty fragile ships. I would run 3 black Squadron TIE s in their place errday instead. Put Crack Shot on em and we are really in business.

That's 88 points total then. So you're saying I should try for a bigger swarm (1 more academy to make it 100) for a total of 7 ships?

I'm wondering if my problem is trying to feild rookies and I should be using more named unique instead.

E:

Otisburg: Yeah. Sometimes the economy of those 1 points can help me with lists, but in this case maybe FOs would be better.

Kai Tave: That is definitely an idea. I do love interceptors.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 19, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Foolster41 posted:

The link is invalid/expired.
You need to have a BGG account to access BGG files.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Ah, I do, but I think I'm not logged in then.

E: No, I am logged in but it's not working.

E2: Is it this?
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87723/movement

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Foolster41 posted:

Ah, I do, but I think I'm not logged in then.

E: No, I am logged in but it's not working.

E2: Is it this?
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87723/movement
Yep, beat me to it:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87723/movement

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Foolster41 posted:

That's 88 points total then. So you're saying I should try for a bigger swarm (1 more academy to make it 100) for a total of 7 ships?

I'm wondering if my problem is trying to feild rookies and I should be using more named unique instead.

I agree with the suggestion that if you're going to go to the trouble of putting Targeting Computers on Academy Pilots then you might as well just carve out the extra points to make them Epsilon Squad TIE/fo's and get a TIE with target lock plus a shield and a better dial. Likewise I find generic Interceptors are generally difficult to justify pointswise as even at their cheapest they're 18 points which makes them poorly suited to a casual sprinkle. As an Imperial player you don't lack for cheap, maneuverable blockers.

Black Squadron TIEs with Crack Shot are 15 points a pop, the same cost as an unupgraded bottom-tier TIE/fo. They lose the shield and better dial but in exchange they get a PS that lets them outmaneuver other cheap swarmers/blockers, are more resistant to Predator, and get the benefits of Crack Shot which is a potent EPT. Three of those is a solid basis for any sort of swarm or makes a good mini-swarm on their own. That gives you 55 points left over to play with. Omega Leader is, for what he gives you, cheap as chips at 26 points with all the necessary upgrades (Juke and Comm Relay). That leaves you with 29 points remaining, which is enough to invest in a number of things. It could get you Howlrunner with a Stealth Device, a Stealth Device for OLeader, and 5 points left to spend on whatever. It's just enough to buy you a Palpshuttle. You could squeeze in a TIE Advanced ace...Mark Steel with VI and an ATC comes out to 29 points on the nose, or maybe Juno Eclipse with just the ATC instead. Or hell, you could just cram some more TIEs in there if you want, you could get one more Black Squad w/Crack Shot and one without.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 19, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Foolster41 posted:

Otisburg: Yeah. Sometimes the economy of those 1 points can help me with lists, but in this case maybe FOs would be better.

I just feel like either you're going for raw quantity, at which point you're fielding bare Academy Pilots, or you're going for a compromise that gives you some quality, at which point Black Cracks and Epsilons are going to give you a lot more bang for your buck. Adding the computers to the cheapest /lns feels like a weird half measure that isn't a good value for those 4 points. Those 4 points could turn one of your Sabers into Turr Phennir, or better yet if you can find 2 more points somewhere, maybe downgrading one of the Sabers to an alpha, you've got a Howlrunner potentially buffing the whole package.

E: also feeling what Kai said about generic interceptors, but I'm assuming you're working with a limited collection? In that case I guess most of this advice goes out the window anyway, so...

E2: Am I the only one who calls the S&V ace "Toblerone Cobra?" Pretend I lazily photoshopped a snake head onto the sweets bar here.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've seen people squeeze some decent use out of generic Royal Guard Interceptor pilots. At 22 points they're cheaper than several named Interceptor pilots with a better PS, but at the same time they sit in a weird middle ground of not having a high enough PS to compete with aces but not having a PS low enough to be a decent blocker (and in my opinion if blockers are what you're after then you probably shouldn't be using an expensive ship like an Interceptor to do it when you have perfectly serviceable Academy Pilots right over there). Really, Interceptors seem to be a strongly ace-oriented ship, moreso than even something like TIE Advanceds (4x Tempest Squad w/Accuracy Correctors and Cluster Missiles can be ridiculous). Though it should be said that you can get 4x Royal Guard Interceptors with VI and Autothrusters for exactly 100 points which is a slightly more serious version of the 5x Alpha Squad suggestion, and something I've been tempted to try.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So it turns out Omega leader and Soontir are a really good combo in a 60 point game.

It was a 3 round tournament and I won all 3 games, tabling my opponents each time without losing a single ship so I ended up with the maximum possible MOV.

The first match was against Miranda with an A-wing blocker. He chose to split up his two ships which I think was a mistake because I was deploying everything after him. I was able to make a pass on the A-wing before blowing past him and burning Miranda down. The A-wing by itself was not a significant threat and went down soon after.

The second match was against Torkil Mux and two Z-95s, one with a Homing Missile and the other with a Cluster Missile. My opponent had won 60-0 in his game too which is pretty impressive for that list. I used Omega leader as bait, running away after getting the enemy to commit to the asteroid field while Soontir got in behind them and got to work. Soontir did get hit by Torkil's Ion Cannon while he was stressed but my opponent didn't have ships in the right places and couldn't capitalise on it. By the end of the game he hadn't managed to fire a single missile because soontir is so good at managing range bands. He could boost into range one or barrel roll into range 3 depending on the situation every time.

The third and final match was against another undefeated player running Wedge and Luke. Wedge had crackshot, IA and the astromech that lets you cancel hits so there are only 2 remaining and gain stress for each one cancelled. Luke just had IA and the astromech that let's you ignore obstacles for a turn. The x-wings had an awkward approach and wedge couldn't turn in with Luke to face the ties because of a rock, he then had to take a bunch of stress after a couple of 4 hit shots from Soontir and never got another shot all game. It went downhill for my opponent very quickly after that. He only had a couple of chances to actually shoot the whole game but when he did he rolled a lot of blanks which was unfortunate. I won without taking a single point of damage.

I think I was fortunate to not lose a single ship but I don't think the outcome would have been significantly different if I had. None of the games were particularly close and in a 1v1 situation both my ships are more than capable of holding their own when it comes down to it.

I won a Tie/fo blister so I see more Juke in my future.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can someone make a guidance chimp squadron insignia? I might try to paint one on one of my bombers, along with a Ba-boom! graffiti of course.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Can someone make a guidance chimp squadron insignia? I might try to paint one on one of my bombers, along with a Ba-boom! graffiti of course.

Dontcha mean "Ba-boon!" ?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Dontcha mean "Ba-boon!" ?
The joke works better with 'Ba-boom' written.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Since we had cheater-talk a few pages ago with that K-Wing guy, this is relevant.

FFG now has a suspension policy for cheaters at official events.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/spolicy/

And it looks like it's in response to this.
http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/in...nd-semi-finals/

The World Champion for Conquest was caught--well afterthe matches--to be drawing extra cards on a regular basis. The forum thread above is hilarious, because the accused created a sockpuppet account to advocate for a measured response, and was posting as himself saying the extra cards were just an honest mistake (they stuck together!).

It was actually working; there were lots of people angry, but reasonable.

Then he fucks up and posts as himself under the puppet account. It's pretty hilarious.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ConfusedUs posted:

Since we had cheater-talk a few pages ago with that K-Wing guy, this is relevant.

FFG now has a suspension policy for cheaters at official events.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/spolicy/

And it looks like it's in response to this.
http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/in...nd-semi-finals/

The World Champion for Conquest was caught--well afterthe matches--to be drawing extra cards on a regular basis. The forum thread above is hilarious, because the accused created a sockpuppet account to advocate for a measured response, and was posting as himself saying the extra cards were just an honest mistake (they stuck together!).

It was actually working; there were lots of people angry, but reasonable.

Then he fucks up and posts as himself under the puppet account. It's pretty hilarious.

The hilarity starts on page 7.

I didn't know about this, so was reading the suspension article, then clicked the list, and laughed when I only saw one name on it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chill la Chill posted:

Might be a bit too tough to paint but you're welcome to it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

Might be a bit too tough to paint but you're welcome to it.

lol nope I'll add this to my stencil sheet and probably get around to it once I get my air compressor. :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I wonder if they will retroactively ban those guys from the NYC regional that used their hands to measure

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Has anyone tried a Whisper and 4 F/O list? I'm grabbing another F/O tonight to round out a TIE ace build but may try the mini-swarm this weekend depending on the verdict.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Foolster41 posted:

My swarm was two Academys with TL mods, two epsilon FOs and two sabre interceptors.
Same as the others I feel Academy with TComp isn't worth the points.
Also, crack shot is your friend on TIE Fighters as it allows them to hit Agility 3+ ships.

If you want to use the ships you have in your current list, I would consider a 5 ship PS-4 list.
Saber Squadron Pilot w/ PTL + Autothrusters x2
Black Squadron Pilot w/ Crack Shot x2
Omega Squadron Pilot w/ Crack Shot
(Actually this looks like fun, I might try this)

If you want to change completely, following Kai Tave's advise is a good idea.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Spiggy posted:

Has anyone tried a Whisper and 4 F/O list? I'm grabbing another F/O tonight to round out a TIE ace build but may try the mini-swarm this weekend depending on the verdict.

Not flown a Whisper and 4 F/O, but did do a Soontir and 4 Zeta Squandron F/O's a few weekends ago and it was pretty fun. Make your opponent choice between the mini-swarm or the ace. I won 2/3 matches with it, so there's that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spiggy posted:

How do you plan to round out the TIE/fo ships? I think that's the key point.

Whisper + Miniswarm is a good list, but you'll have a hard time against high-agility ships unless those TIEs come in large numbers or have upgrades to punch through damage.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

ConfusedUs posted:

How do you plan to round out the TIE/fo ships? I think that's the key point.

Whisper + Miniswarm is a good list, but you'll have a hard time against high-agility ships unless those TIEs come in large numbers or have upgrades to punch through damage.

I was planning on running four naked ones since Whisper with VI/FCS/ACD sits right at 39. My main concern was how they stack against high agility ships. I don't have the cards to put crackshot on them for tournaments so I may go with a few mini-aces instead.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:vince:

bunnyofdoom posted:

I didn't know about this, so was reading the suspension article, then clicked the list, and laughed when I only saw one name on it.

Until 2020 too. Stern but fair, FFG. Stern but fair.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

:perfect:

Week 3 of the store league is happening tonight, and my last opponent was a no-show last week (and I would not be surprised if they did not show up again this week), so I might default to 4-0, which is the worst possible way to get there. The good news is that I may get to play my first Epic game tonight despite knowing literally nothing about how Epic differs from normal games. Or, if that falls through, I can always try flying my XXY list against more varied competition.

I was also giving some thought today for goofy stuff they could add to a Resistance Aces/The Force Awakens expansion set that would, hypothetically, include a Black One repaint of the T-70, and this naturally got me to thinking about FFG including a "Black Leader" unique title for the T-70 X-Wing and, hypothetically, what it would be. Maybe something neat along the lines of BB-8 - a free Boost whenever you execute a green maneuver, so if you run Black Leader + BB-8 you can barrel roll, green move, free boost, Focus? Turn Poe into a more elusive, aggro-centric pilot instead of a regen Ace? The likelihood of a Black Leader title existing is pretty vanishing anyway, but it could be neat.

• Locked thread