Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The reason I assumed I don't see Burn as much is in my local meta is because it's not actually particularly fun to play and still costs like 800 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Angry Grimace posted:

it's not actually particularly fun to play and still costs like 800 dollars.

What is wrong with all of us.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you go first it does put a dent in infects plans, affinity is a bit too fast. It wrecks boggles though from what I have experienced.

My favorite infect win was when I dropped it turn two, they built for another turn and swung in with me untapped for 10 infect. Deflecting palm killed em.

If Bogles can slam a T3 Daybreak or Unflinching Courage it can laugh off Eidolon. Putting a Spirit Link on one is also pretty great. Palm on the other hand can turn into a 20 point swing and kill you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Voyager I posted:

The version I saw on Goldfish earlier is 900 actually

I still don't know how the gently caress WoTC gets away with banning T1 decks and also not printing enough additional supply for the format

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I do think they're going to have to do something more than $8 Modern Masters packs every other year to bolster supply. There are just too many expensive cards for it to do much to move the needle.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Voyager I posted:

It runs fetches and shocks.

If you guys want a cheap modern deck thats actually good play Living End. As a bonus it completely wrecks tron.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

It runs fetches and shocks.

If you guys want a cheap modern deck thats actually good play Living End. As a bonus it completely wrecks tron.

The market is now correcting for Fulminator Mages contained in that deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This sounds like the perfect time to put Abzan Company back together. With 4 Fulminators mainboard.

:getin:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

anglachel posted:

The market is now correcting for Fulminator Mages contained in that deck.

Oh come on they're not that expensive ye-*looks up price*

jesus tcg mid $36 already

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

At the rate its moving it will be 40 before the morning. Hell, the mm2 printing is already there.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Voyager I posted:

A lot. I think back on the past 2.5 years since i started playing and my goodness did I pick up a lot of stuff cheap. I'd guess I put in $5-8k in modern staples, but I think even at buylist I could cash out somewhere like 10-12k. The thought has crossed my head a few times watching all these crazy price spikes to do it and go buy a new car.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ordered my last one yesterday at $22. Yiss.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
That's it, magic is worse than Buttcoins. Good job mtgfinance.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just want to crack my MM2 boxes at this point but that's dumb.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
So yeah whoever was asking about how to predict this sort of thing, there's your primer.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

whydirt posted:

I do think they're going to have to do something more than $8 Modern Masters packs every other year to bolster supply. There are just too many expensive cards for it to do much to move the needle.
The other option is for MM16 to not have mythic rares and to decrease duds overall, like if Wizards just went to TCG and printed out a list of everything in Modern that's $5+ and put that at rare we'd be good to go.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

vanov posted:

The other option is for MM16 to not have mythic rares and to decrease duds overall, like if Wizards just went to TCG and printed out a list of everything in Modern that's $5+ and put that at rare we'd be good to go.

The more chase rares spread out over sets the more people buy. EV on MM1 was fantastic. EV on MM2 was pretty bad. They will hit the sweet spot for profits the next set and will keep doing it. MM2 was so bad I can still buy packs at my LGS. Which was unheard of with MM1.

They can't pack it all into one set or they will lose out. They have to spread it over all the sets to keep selling.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Voyager I posted:

I've really been digging this deck so far. It's an Aristocrats deck, which means it gains benefits from its own creatures dying, and it usually wins by throwing bodies in front of enemy attackers until it has ground out enough of an advantage to win the game. This particular build also has a lot of fun tricks it can play that give you ways to mess with your opponent's plans. Collected Company and Rally the Ancestors both let you slam creatures onto the board in the middle of your opponent's combat phase, and the threat of a mass pump on Nantuko Husk is something your opponent will always need to play around (though you should also be careful about feeding all your creatures to a Husk attack just to have it die to a removal spell). The other good news is that most of the cards in the list aren't really played in any other deck, so it's pretty cheap to put together as far as decks go. The only moderately expensive card that you really can't replace is Collected Company.

If you're a beginner, this also has the upside of training you on some of the mechanical nuances of the game. You have a ton of triggered effects that play into each other (be ready to have five things happen from one creature dying) and can do a lot of neat stuff at instant speed, so while it will take a bit to wrap your head around exactly what's going on, once you've got it you'll have a much better understanding of how to play the game.

An example of goofy stuff this deck can do, from a game I played the other day:

I had a Liliana, Heretical Healer on the table. She's a creature that turns into a Planeswalker when another creature I control dies. My opponent goes to cast a removal spell on her, which this something this deck doesn't have a straight answer for. I respond with a Collected Company, find a Fleshbag Marauder, and the sacrifice trigger causes Liliana to flip, dodging the removal spell.

It's a bit expensive for me right now, but I love the idea. Definitely going to have to try it out. Did you get a chance to look at those prebuilt decks Card Kingdom sells? Are those rubbish?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I like how this game being stupidly expensive for arbitrary reasons is this sort of revelation that occurs every few months, even though it's a thoroughly known fact by now.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Kilo147 posted:

It's a bit expensive for me right now, but I love the idea. Definitely going to have to try it out. Did you get a chance to look at those prebuilt decks Card Kingdom sells? Are those rubbish?

Based on your last several posts, you sound like an EDH player at heart.

You'll love it!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

https://www.change.org/p/mtgcommander-net-bring-back-prophet-of-kruphix

:captainpop:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

deftest posted:

Based on your last several posts, you sound like an EDH player at heart.

You'll love it!

Oh, I have something of a Boros EDH deck going on, but I want to try to make my Eldrazi work somehow, since that's the only really functional deck I have going on at the moment.
That and my prerelease Emrakul ain't worth poo poo in EDH, and I love that card too much to abandon.

And from what I have experienced, EDH is fun as gently caress, its casual, I can have a beer and some nachos, and pretty much relax. But I want to try to take in multiple formats, Promos and prize support always get my interest.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So apparently I shouldn't bother to draft non-blue decks in the MTGO Legacy Cube because I'm just going to open JTMS all the time:

Ended up taking the Jace over Ancient Tomb and Courser, and taking Edric into Show and Tell. My greed paid off - I wheeled Tomb and Courser (and took Courser based on how my deck was shaping up.) The moral of this story is to be as greedy as you possibly can at all times because you'll be rewarded:

Now to figure out how to build this piece of poo poo and then get smashed in round one to reanimated turn three Iona twice because mono-Green is secretly awful.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Isn't Green Lake Games the home store for one of our goons?

Are they having any issues at the store? Asking because I ordered a grip of scrabbling claws from them on the 3rd, they had like 18 copies, and usually I would have gotten my cards by the 9th from them.

They've jumped up to 3 bucks per card since then, and I really wanted to not deal with a refund.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

kizudarake posted:

Isn't Green Lake Games the home store for one of our goons?

Are they having any issues at the store? Asking because I ordered a grip of scrabbling claws from them on the 3rd, they had like 18 copies, and usually I would have gotten my cards by the 9th from them.

They've jumped up to 3 bucks per card since then, and I really wanted to not deal with a refund.

Haven't heard anything, but I'll ask around for you

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Kilo147 posted:

Haven't heard anything, but I'll ask around for you

I ordered via Amazon, and it cost like 2.08 for all four. They're usually pretty amazing for getting stuff to me fast, so I always leave great feedback.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kilo147 posted:

You can cut the price of that decklist in half without excessively impacting its quality by cutting the two copies of Liliana and replacing the Shambling Vents with whatever random common dual lands come to hand.

The Card Kingdom decks look decently composed for being ultra-budget theme decks, but they're probably not going to take a whole lot of games against real constructed decks and it looks like some of them have random cards that aren't legal in Standard. They'd probably make for good fun at a kitchen table, though.

If you want to look for other ideas, mtggoldfish.com runs a series called Budget Magic that comes up with cheap, nifty deck ideas, and you even get an entertaining video series to see if you like how they play.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The version I saw on Goldfish earlier is 900 actually

I still don't know how the gently caress WoTC gets away with banning T1 decks and also not printing enough additional supply for the format

Burn is basically Sligh these days and Sligh is fun to play

it is way too pricy though :(

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
What you seem to be looking for: cheap, competitive decks for FNM formats, basically do not exist. They especially do not exist if you don't want to use 4 ofs.

No one needs to look at 10 dollar precons to know that they're not going to be competitive.

You should do drafts.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Jesus. I'm feeling like I should sell my burn deck and buy something more fun to play. I had no idea Gobbo Guide had like doubled in price

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The more chase rares spread out over sets the more people buy. EV on MM1 was fantastic. EV on MM2 was pretty bad. They will hit the sweet spot for profits the next set and will keep doing it. MM2 was so bad I can still buy packs at my LGS. Which was unheard of with MM1.

They can't pack it all into one set or they will lose out. They have to spread it over all the sets to keep selling.

Looking at how certain things have shot up since MM2 was released (Karn, Eye, Fulminator Mage, Spellskite,, the EV of MM2 is not that bad. Its just that the stuff that was in MM1 but not in MM2 (Swords, Vial, Glimmervoid, Moon, Ravager, Pacts) have shot up even more. I mean, who the gently caress could have predicted Lava Spike being a 3 dollar card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

Burn is basically Sligh these days and Sligh is fun to play

it is way too pricy though :(

Sligh just had a mana curve. Every deck is like Sligh. Or no deck is like Sligh. Take your pick.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Sligh just had a mana curve. Every deck is like Sligh. Or no deck is like Sligh. Take your pick.

a bit of hyperbole in there but I meant in the spell/creature mix rather than being all spells.

You're right though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I really do appreciate that at one point in time "having a mana curve" was a revolutionary deck building strategy.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I really do appreciate that at one point in time "having a mana curve" was a revolutionary deck building strategy.

I was king of the kitchen table with my 80 card deck of Llanowar Elves, Wall of Ice and Craw wurms. Craw wurm was unbeatable! Until Hand of Death took him. :allears:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

There was a time before Card Advantage. Why would anyone pay 1 life to draw a card?! And you have to skip your draw step?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Deckit posted:

I was king of the kitchen table with my 80 card deck of Llanowar Elves, Wall of Ice and Craw wurms. Craw wurm was unbeatable! Until Hand of Death took him. :allears:

When I started playing I somehow missed the rule on having to tap to attack, and also assumed that damage persisted. Serra Angel was TRASH compared to the impossible to beat Sengir Vampire.

Carrion Ants and Killer Bees were a bit of a grey area. The basic kitchen table assumption was that damage had to kill them during that turn and went away. Whirling Dervish, Roc Hydra and any stupid regenerator like Uthden Troll were also very powerful in this format.

Hellsau posted:

There was a time before Card Advantage. Why would anyone pay 1 life to draw a card?! And you have to skip your draw step?

There's a weird revisionist history I have seen popping up denying this, but its absolutely the truth. Nobody had any loving idea about card advantage or a mana curve. Necro wasn't well regarded for quite some time. Even Brainstorm was regarded as largely useless initially, and I don't think anybody used Demonic Consultation. Even when combo decks first started to show up people ran their combo kill condition as a one of and just hoped to draw it and not be disrupted.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 19, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

There's a weird revisionist history I have seen popping up denying this, but its absolutely the truth. Nobody had any loving idea about card advantage or a mana curve. Necro wasn't well regarded for quite some time. Even Brainstorm was regarded as largely useless initially, and I don't think anybody used Demonic Consultation. Even when combo decks first started to show up people ran their combo kill condition as a one of and just hoped to draw it and not be disrupted.

I will actually argue that Brainstorm wasn't a particularly good card in Ice Age, since there were very few shuffle effects. It was probably better than people thought, but certainly far, far worse than it is now.

Necro and Consult though, yeah. Even when people figured out that Necro was good people would only run 3 sometimes because "what if I draw a second one? :ohdear: ". It took way longer than it should have before people just jammed 4 necro 4 consult.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Brainstorm wasn't good until Mirage when the original fetches were printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Brainstorm was a decent way to protect combo pieces from discard and pitched to FoW. But nobody cared to protect combo pieces.

• Locked thread