Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

KillHour posted:

At least elevate those speakers another foot so the woofer isn't below the glass.

Indeed, replacing the table is my next objective - planning to a much more narrow table, this one is 2 meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uxzuigal posted:

Indeed, replacing the table is my next objective - planning to a much more narrow table, this one is 2 meters.

I have basically the same setup. Elevating the speakers so the tweeters are at ear-level is the single most important thing I did for sound. Seriously, it makes a world of difference. Unless you bought a $4k pair of speakers primarily as furniture, it's really not optional.

My desk is usually cleaner than this, but I'm not bothering to tidy up just for you assholes.

Also, I'm literally using old speakers as speaker stands. Does that make me the alpha goon?

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
I approve of your setup KillHour :D Lovely!

From Sofa they are ear level, causual lurking position from PC its not, but then again - not that important either. They glass table does annoy me greatly however - so it is getting thrown out ASAP :) (but good god, finding a table fitting in the living room is *not* easy).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uxzuigal posted:

I approve of your setup KillHour :D Lovely!

From Sofa they are ear level, causual lurking position from PC its not, but then again - not that important either. They glass table does annoy me greatly however - so it is getting thrown out ASAP :) (but good god, finding a table fitting in the living room is *not* easy).

Can I have it? If that's solid aluminum, it's nice as gently caress (and probably quite expensive).

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Solid aluminum yeah, tempered glass - rated for ~~250kg :) Weights around 70-90kg I think, probably wont fit in plane cargo :P

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uxzuigal posted:

Solid aluminum yeah, tempered glass - rated for ~~250kg :) Weights around 70-90kg I think, probably wont fit in plane cargo :P

Probably cost almost as much as those speakers, then.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
I made a steal deal, paid 400$ :>

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uxzuigal posted:

I made a steal deal, paid 400$ :>

poo poo, mine cost about that much to make, and it's hollow aluminum tube.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Rabid Snake posted:

Unless you're a big audiophile, who cares? As long as it sounds good to you. Sweet set up.

And a guy with a NAD amp is what?

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
In addition to changing table, I am curious if adding some acoustic absorption plates behind the bass ports would gain me something, currently 40cm from the wall which is a bare minimum in my opinion. Sadly pulling them even further from the wall isn't an option unless I want a divorce :p

- - -

Slowhanded:
I enjoy good music and movies, wouldn't consider myself audiophile before there is Epicon 8's sitting in my living room :D (need some lottery luck for that). But ofcourse, I do care for how it sounds, making small improvements and tweaks along the way.

- - -
Edit:
Just ordered a new table, shorter and wood, will let my speakers become uninterrupted by glass/wooden boards :>

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 6, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I want y'all to know your desks are great and I like 'em all. Good job everyone.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

I want y'all to know your desks are great and I like 'em all. Good job everyone.

Pretty offtopic, but I think it's hilarious. Your comment reminds me of this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bg586-wl38

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

doctorfrog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHeP9Sve48

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Rabid Snake posted:

Unless you're a big audiophile, who cares? As long as it sounds good to you. Sweet set up.

Especially if there's a couch behind that set up and the user uses the big TV on top.

If I lived in a secluded neighborhood where neighbors couldn't hear a pair of floor standing speakers, I would own a pair too. My parents have one at home and they sound so much better then the pair of monitor speakers I have.

edit: just noticed the subwoofer. drat living in the city sucks.

because that isn't how large speakers work, they aren't intended to be used near-field, and at the volume levels you would use them at sitting directly in front of them they will sound far shittier than they should because you have them too quiet

i have medium towers (psb image T4) in my living room, big towers in my basement (psb goldi), and small bookshelves (psb imagine mini) at my computer desk.

the right tool for the job

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 8, 2016

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If the setup sounds good to him, what's the problem?

I run Tannoy Sensys DC1s on my desk (big dual concentric bookshelfs), they sound great to me, but I'm sure they'd sound better on stands, a bit further away than 3 ft.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Wibla posted:

I run Tannoy Sensys DC1s on my desk (big dual concentric bookshelfs), they sound great to me, but I'm sure they'd sound better on stands, a bit further away than 3 ft.

People can do whatever they like but if you post pictures of your arrangement to show strangers online you should expect feedback and or criticism

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Uxzuigal posted:

My throne.. (wife actualy lets me have this in the living room!) Got Dali Opticon 8's (speakers) for christmas from wife (no, she is not for sale, and she cannot be cloned), waiting for a NAD C275 to add in bridge mode with the NAD C375 Integrated amp here...

hahahahahahahahahhaaha living like poo poo knows no price

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

titaniumone posted:

People can do whatever they like but if you post pictures of your arrangement to show strangers online you should expect feedback and or criticism

Ofcourse, and I am always open to feedback. :)

New table is coming next week thankfuly. As for near field. The listening position is 3m/9.8feet away, the "PC" position shouldn't be considered a part of this, while they are being used with PC as well, this is/was never the idea behind the speakers - there is a sofa behind behind. Room is about 25m2/270 square feet.

Gotta admit in retrospect that the picture I chose was loving abyssmal though.

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 9, 2016

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Uxzuigal posted:

Ofcourse, and I am always open to feedback. :)

New table is coming next week thankfuly. As for near field. The listening position is 3m/9.8feet away, the "PC" position shouldn't be considered a part of this, while they are being used with PC as well, this is/was never the idea behind the speakers - there is a sofa behind behind. Room is about 25m2/270 square feet.

Gotta admit in retrospect that the picture I chose was loving abyssmal though.

Cool, that sounds better then. The speakers are toed in so far that I thought it was for the computer chair.

I'l try to remember to post my shithole later because what goes around is around.
edit: here's my retarded desk

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 9, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wibla posted:

i have m-audio bx5as right next to my face, hail satan.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

titaniumone posted:

Cool, that sounds better then. The speakers are toed in so far that I thought it was for the computer chair.

I'l try to remember to post my shithole later because what goes around is around.

Looks about the same as my old desk. :p

Just had a friend of mine who's a musician to do some acoustic work for me, setup a plan for some bass traps and other reflection traps - gonna be interesting to see the effect. Hopefuly I will be able to post a less lovely picture at the end of the week :D
I think it is easy to forget acoustic treatment when having speakers etc, maybe because its somewhat hard to do well without being invasive, especially in a living room... Wife got what she wanted now though: heavy hairy rear end carpet. :p

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

titaniumone posted:

Sorry sir, your set-up looks way too normie and your desk is lacking the obligatory 7 man-child figurines and obscure pop culture references. You are going to have to turn in your goon card.

Nice pony-wall - is that maple?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I keep losing my snapshots of my desk, With 3TB NAS underneath and Epson Full color laser to the side...
I have now added an oculus rift and a Rpi under the desk with setup for ssh login.

fake edit: never mind they are on my dropbox :)
edit: gah sa doesnt like drop box, onto imigur now

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 11, 2016

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

titaniumone posted:

How does a setup like that work, do you have to move your mouse in a reverse-L to get the cursor from the top right corner to the top left corner?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

I keep losing my snapshots of my desk, With 3TB NAS underneath and Epson Full color laser to the side...
I have now added an oculus rift and a Rpi under the desk with setup for ssh login.

What login method does your desktop support though?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

what is that thing next to your keyboard

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

what is that thing next to your keyboard

Leap motion,

the computer uses for login
either facial recognition,
voice recognition,
hand recognition through the leap motion,
pin
password
and now also rfid tag.

also i used to have a mouse with fingerprint recognition

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

Leap motion,

the computer uses for login
either facial recognition,
voice recognition,
hand recognition through the leap motion,
pin
password
and now also rfid tag.

also i used to have a mouse with fingerprint recognition

Pretty neat. Thanks.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

How does a setup like that work, do you have to move your mouse in a reverse-L to get the cursor from the top right corner to the top left corner?

Yes, trying to move between monitors from the right one to the left only works in the area where they meet. You stop noticing it very quickly and just do it without thinking about it.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
New table in.. Broadband acoustic absorption plates coming tomorrow I hope, and a drat cable screen. Too many loving cables.
http://i.imgur.com/fEYrI6O.jpg

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Uxzuigal posted:

New table in.. Broadband acoustic absorption plates coming tomorrow I hope, and a drat cable screen. Too many loving cables.

Yeesh, you weren't kidding about the cables. I quite like the floor, what kind of wood is that, if it's not coloured/stained?

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Odette posted:

Yeesh, you weren't kidding about the cables. I quite like the floor, what kind of wood is that, if it's not coloured/stained?

90% Oak, high pressure (class 34) laminate - needed something sturdy for dogs etc :> It does reflect quite abit of sound however, part of reason for the acoustic plating.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Uxzuigal posted:

please center your speakers/desk to the wall/TV

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

please center your speakers/desk to the wall/TV

As you command :D
http://i.imgur.com/3gLCCod.jpg

TV is abit off center and nothing I can do with it until I get a bigger one later this year. Brackets and stuff - if I moved it now, I would cause more issues later on with TV replacement.

Finaly everything is in place short of a tiny cleanup with cables. Very suprised at how much acousting broadband absorbers help, not just with music - but even talking and moving about the room feels alot more comfertable. Absolutely something Id recommend :)

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Put my new desk together tonight:

Components:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90252908/#/30252906
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60274964/#/20274961

I chose to set the frame 1" back from perfect center so that the front of the legs would sit slightly behind the front of the desk. This also gives me a bit of room to run cables and such between the desk and the wall.

From start to finish it took about two hours to take measurements, plan the layout, line everything up, mark the holes, drill, and mount.

All necessary hardware is included, but I'm planning to get some extra brackets to secure the frame a little better. The method the standard Bekant desk top uses is a plastic rivet thing which cannot expand into the hard wood. The press fit those give when half assembled is sturdy enough, so long as you don't lift up from the wood portion or torque the legs.

Overall I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. The solid wood countertop feels a lot nicer than the standard particle board crap and didn't really cost that much extra to get. It needs some sanding then a few coats of oil to finish the surface but otherwise it's ready to go.

concise fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 19, 2016

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Uxzuigal posted:

As you command :D
http://i.imgur.com/3gLCCod.jpg

TV is abit off center and nothing I can do with it until I get a bigger one later this year. Brackets and stuff - if I moved it now, I would cause more issues later on with TV replacement.

Finaly everything is in place short of a tiny cleanup with cables. Very suprised at how much acousting broadband absorbers help, not just with music - but even talking and moving about the room feels alot more comfertable. Absolutely something Id recommend :)

Nice :q:

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

This looks great, especially considering the price and hassle. Definitely going to consider something similar.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cross-posting from another thread,

Has anyone used one of these before?

Full Motion Dual Arm Desk Monitor Laptop Mount Stand

Was it worth it? I'm really curious if I could place my docking station on top then plug in my laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

concise posted:

Put my new desk together tonight:

Components:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90252908/#/30252906
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60274964/#/20274961

I chose to set the frame 1" back from perfect center so that the front of the legs would sit slightly behind the front of the desk. This also gives me a bit of room to run cables and such between the desk and the wall.

From start to finish it took about two hours to take measurements, plan the layout, line everything up, mark the holes, drill, and mount.

All necessary hardware is included, but I'm planning to get some extra brackets to secure the frame a little better. The method the standard Bekant desk top uses is a plastic rivet thing which cannot expand into the hard wood. The press fit those give when half assembled is sturdy enough, so long as you don't lift up from the wood portion or torque the legs.

Overall I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. The solid wood countertop feels a lot nicer than the standard particle board crap and didn't really cost that much extra to get. It needs some sanding then a few coats of oil to finish the surface but otherwise it's ready to go.

Could you elaborate on how you mounted that? I went with a standard Bekant top when I put mine together, but that what my exact idea if I scuff it up enough or just want to upgrade.