Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's a clear design progression in the prequels. Ep. I is the peak of 50s Art Deco stuff and form-over-function. You have the Gungan city which is a bunch of terraces encased in bubbles like Christmas ornaments, you've got the submarine which is made to look like an underwater creature, the Naboo starfighters are like classic cars as is the Queen's ship, and all of Coruscant is straight out of an Amazing Stories cover.

In Clones, and this is something the filmmakers actually talk about in one of the DVD featurettes, they start bringing in more of the "classic" Star Wars look, but it's a blend. You still have the retro-styled ships Amidala flies in (and her apartment which has similar contours), but we see some of the dirtier, seedier side of Coruscant, industrial neighborhoods and gaudy nightclubs and so on. Kamino, like Cloud City, is the beautiful antiseptic locale where danger and evil lurk under the surface. But they introduce the wedge shape in the Jedi starships, you have the more detailed hives and droid foundries of Geonosis, and when the clone calvary arrives they do so in ships that are VERY reminiscient of the OT. They're flying in on Star Destroyers, they have AT-ATs, and the lasers on the hoverships they have resemble little Death Star weapons. That's the point, the joke, the heroes are "saved" by the arrival of the Empire. That's pure visual storytelling through design.

In Revenge of the Sith things are very rapidly moving towards the aesthetic of the OT as War! overtakes the galaxy. More stuff is worn and chunky and sort of functional (not entirely functional since Star Wars has never been about actual logic). There's even an attempt to make some of the computer displays and such look like the clunky blinkenlights of the OT, at least the ones in the background. We get a few flashes of the old Art Deco beauty but it's on its way out.

Even when I was way saltier about the prequels than I am now, this was always something I really liked about them. I almost wish RotS had pushed it a BIT further, since all of the OT stuff appearing at the very end (Star Destroyer bridge, Tantive IV, etc.) felt a bit abrupt, but in general they really sold the way the elegant peacetime civilization you see in TPM falls away and reveals its utilitarian machine heart; Cloud City's duality writ large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Not everything in Cloud City is pristine and slick, though. It's got dirty junk rooms, dank interrogation rooms, dark smoky freezing chambers, dark and smoky corridors, a weird austere dull grey cylinder where Vader corners Luke, and the bottom which is studded with angular, sharp-looking antennae. Really, the only thing that's pristine and slick is its establishing shots of the outside, many of which were added in the special editions. The inner corridors aren't actually that smooth or clinical if you look at them without the unnecessary windows Lucas added:

I didn't say it wasn't. In fact, one of my main criticisms was that they took McQuarrie's designs and smoothed them over and the result looks like crap.

Well, that is from the The Phantom Menace, which was shot much less on green screen than the other two, and as a result does indeed have much less "it's so dense" bullet-hell diarrhea than the other two. Just stuff like this:

However, you said "the prequels" and not TPM specifically, soo:

To be fair most of those are action scenes so let's look at

Ok you're confusing me, all these look pretty good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgphpiO0L8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiIn2QM2sAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrNpgstVGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rYgURNeq0

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

"Movie" means "motion picture."

Yes! And you want this motion to service and not distract from the story. Watch someone play Touhou games on youtube if like a mindless primate all you care about is a lot of moving colorful shapes on a screen

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There are three jets of fire to show that there are many of them. The two in the background are both small and moving slowly, to show that they are far away and not very important.

The large glowing thing exploding in the center of the frame is, on the other hand, rather important. You should look at that area of the screen.

Coincidentally, that's where the characters are standing.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Here you go. Stay away from cinema as an artform, this should serve your purposes for the rest of your natural life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSzACGKNhSw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I wouldn't say all, that's pretty generous. Half are good, the other half (cloning planet, desert AotC planet, a billion lightsabres) are pretty bad. But half good half bad isn't too far off from what the prequels are.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

I wouldn't say all, that's pretty generous. Half are good, the other half (cloning planet, desert AotC planet, a billion lightsabres) are pretty bad. But half good half bad isn't too far off from what the prequels are.

I'd say most of them look good, as in "not bad". A sort of neutral good. There's some ugly ones though. The first one is a mess, the two with the clone troopship in the center of the frame are not pretty to look at.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'd say most of them look good, as in "not bad". A sort of neutral good. There's some ugly ones though. The first one is a mess, the two with the clone troopship in the center of the frame are not pretty to look at.

By the first one do you mean the one involving a large space battle? I did enjoy the opening shot of RotS as a context setting shot to show this large war and I think several of those context shots of the battles work that way, but then the scenes kinda devolve in to frantic choreographed action without a good emotional/character underpinning.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tezzor posted:

The addition of windows showing early-2000s video game cutscenes open up the sets, making them less catastrophic, thus undermining the "sense of dread" and "cleanness over grim reality" you correctly identify is supposed to be going on, especially in the scene. It also adds more "cleanness and smoothness" to the4 scene. The walls that were previously in the place of the pretend windows were actually textured and colorless

Of course the addition of window views opened up the sets. The sets weren't supposed to be claustrophobic. It's a City in the Goddamn Clouds. It's supposed to be expansive and dreamy and wonderful. Listen to the breezy, upbeat music that plays as they walk through the corridors. The sense of dread comes from how impossibly perfect and pleasant everything is. You're missing the entire point of what Cloud City is supposed to be because you're so hung up on a version of the film that was hampered by production limitations.

Kershner himself hated how claustrophobic the sets were. It wasn't supposed to be that way. It makes no sense. He tried to make Cloud City feel as expansive as he could by adding the occasional matte painting background and putting some chintzy-looking on-set background images behind some of the window portals, but there was only so much he could do with what he had.

Here, have some more Ralph McQuarrie. This is what Cloud City was supposed to be like:

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 19, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

By the first one do you mean the one involving a large space battle? I did enjoy the opening shot of RotS as a context setting shot to show this large war and I think several of those context shots of the battles work that way, but then the scenes kinda devolve in to frantic choreographed action without a good emotional/character underpinning.

Yeah that one. I just think that individual image is not much to look at. I like the intro space fight too. I recall it being a very chaotic scene and I think it was good. The anakin and obi wan and co space fighters were clearly the focus. It was cool.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah that one. I just think that individual image is not much to look at. I like the intro space fight too. I recall it being a very chaotic scene and I think it was good. The anakin and obi wan and co space fighters were clearly the focus. It was cool.

That scene is poop, the opening shot is good. It would have been nice to just have the opening chaotic shot to set the tone of the scene then have the two protagonists do their thing, but then there's also another 10 weird things to comment about along the way.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cnut the Great posted:

Of course the addition of window views opened up the sets. The sets weren't supposed to be claustrophobic. It's a City in the Goddamn Clouds. It's supposed to be expansive and dreamy and wonderful. Listen to the breezy, upbeat music that plays as they walk through the corridors. The sense of dread comes from how impossibly perfect and pleasant everything is. You're missing the entire point of what Cloud City is supposed to be because you're so hung up on a version of the film that was hampered by production limitations.

Kershner himself hated how claustrophobic the sets were. It wasn't supposed to be that way. It makes no sense. He tried to make Cloud City feel as expansive as he could by adding the occasional matte painting background and putting some chintzy-looking on-set background images behind some of the window portals, but there was only so much he could do with what he had.

But some of the scenes you quoted earlier, like Leia and Chewie running through corridors, are after the truth of cloud city is revealed,and thus opening those sets is, at best, confusing, if not counterproductive. While the author might have struggled against these limitations, they did not affect the quality of the end product, and in fact most everyone aside from five goons and severe Star Wars fanboys seems to agree that opening those sets made the film worse, not better. Are you really defending the Star Wars special editions? At long last, have you no sense of decency?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You seem to be arguing that shots are bad because of the film they appear in. This is a ridiculous thing to do.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Using the insight of the prequels, can we figure out whether Chewbacca has a penis that is a lipstick red rocket, a human-like phallus or something beyond our imagination?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Though I guess my ideal Luke at this point wouldn't even use a lightsaber now though and just walk around calmly as whatever's laying around slams into anyone trying to hurt him like how Vader completely clowns him at the end of Empire, hold out his hand to stop blaster fire cold like Vader does, looks at someone as they're about to hit him and they just miss, that kind of stuff.

yeah that dude who is all about being a jedi should totally be slaming people with the force, you know that whole thing jedi don't do and he should totally be like vader you know the bad guy. i mean i agree that he probably shouldn't be jumping everywhere but why the hell do people hate lightsabers so much? using the force to attack is dark it's evil it's perverting the power of life to cause harm.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

War is chaotic. That's what I like so much about the ROTS battle. It intentionally puts so much stuff in the background that it's impossible to keep track of it all at once, and in order to keep the audience grounded in some way, the camera stays locked on to the two Jedi interceptors weaving their way in near-perfect synchrony through all the violent pandemonium. We're just along for the ride with Anakin and Obi-Wan, trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on while staying alive.

This moment right here (at about 0:30 to 0:50) is particularly ingenious in the way it first cleverly hides, and then abruptly reveals, the full, unbelievable scale of the spectacular battle going on between the two fleets of warships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vD8uAGEQ&t=30s

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

:3:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Tezzor posted:

Here you go. Stay away from cinema as an artform, this should serve your purposes for the rest of your natural life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSzACGKNhSw

The reason this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qH2IaSjEU works so well and is loved by the entire thread is that it retains its story even after having been mirrored and multiplied in to an abstract play of lights. The song is funny, the voiceovers are funny, but it also highlights how rich the visuals are - they're interesting and compelling even stripped of their context. The shots still work even when literally cut apart!

As a lesser example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFRqsT61-k is another universally loved video. Again, the altered voiceovers and music make this great, but notice that they didn't change the story of the scenes: a tense and forced-polite verbal sparring session, then a space battle which Ewan loses. They didn't change the story because they couldn't have - the visuals wouldn't have supported anything else nearly as well.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

War is chaotic. That's what I like so much about the ROTS battle. It intentionally puts so much stuff in the background that it's impossible to keep track of it all at once, and in order to keep the audience grounded in some way, the camera stays locked on to the two Jedi interceptors weaving their way in near-perfect synchrony through all the violent pandemonium. We're just along for the ride with Anakin and Obi-Wan, trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on while staying alive.

This moment right here (at about 0:30 to 0:50) is particularly ingenious in the way it first cleverly hides, and then abruptly reveals, the full, unbelievable scale of the spectacular battle going on between the two fleets of warships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vD8uAGEQ&t=30s

Yeah I liked that.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The reason this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qH2IaSjEU works so well and is loved by the entire thread is that it retains its story even after having been mirrored and multiplied in to an abstract play of lights. The song is funny, the voiceovers are funny, but it also highlights how rich the visuals are - they're interesting and compelling even stripped of their context. The shots still work even when literally cut apart!

As a lesser example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFRqsT61-k is another universally loved video. Again, the altered voiceovers and music make this great, but notice that they didn't change the story of the scenes: a tense and forced-polite verbal sparring session, then a space battle which Ewan loses. They didn't change the story because they couldn't have - the visuals wouldn't have supported anything else nearly as well.

Oh my god

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

You could try to make an argument about how Auralnauts videos aren't good (good luck), or explain why you don't think there's a middle ground between "rotating fractal" and "static crane shot of person walking down an alley" in terms of how abstract an image can get before it's no longer comprehensible. Or you could just register your stupefaction, I guess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tezzor posted:

Oh my god

One day I decided to leave Attack of the Clones on in the background on mute. It was like 200x better, my brain just filled in the missing dialogue with better versions of the actual acting and story. I can't really say I disagree with the guy all that much.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tezzor posted:

But some of the scenes you quoted earlier, like Leia and Chewie running through corridors, are after the truth of cloud city is revealed,and thus opening those sets is, at best, confusing, if not counterproductive. While the author might have struggled against these limitations, they did not affect the quality of the end product, and in fact most everyone aside from five goons and severe Star Wars fanboys seems to agree that opening those sets made the film worse, not better. Are you really defending the Star Wars special editions? At long last, have you no sense of decency?

The truth of Cloud City is that there's a hell hiding within its bowels. That doesn't mean the heavenly facade suddenly crumbles away completely. The upper levels don't suddenly transmogrify themselves to conform to the aesthetic of the lower levels. That's just not the way the narrative is designed. The upper levels are still white, they're still sterile, and they're still open to beautiful, expansive views of the surrounding clouds. The heroes are escaping the same way they came in. There's an atmosphere of dreamy romanticism hanging over the entire sequence. It's impossible to miss it, even in the original version.

Anyway, you're really starting to reach in your arguments here, probably because I've pretty much definitively proven you wrong. You started out arguing that Cloud City obviously was never supposed to be that way. Now you seem to be conceding that it was supposed to be that way, but it doesn't matter, because you, Tezzor, personally don't like it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For all the business in some of the prequel action sequences, there was never a point where I couldn't tell what was going on and where everyone was.

This is a non-trivial thing. Action sequences, especially around 1999-2005, didn't always succeed at this- indeed, you could argue that there was a bit more of a move towards a kind of emotional expressionism, using shaky camera work and quick editing to try and make the viewer feel the chaos and uncertainty of a violent action scene. (The rise of 3D kinda put an end to this, Michael Bay specifically said when making Transformers 3 that he had to change his whole visual and editing style to something that would work and not give people motion sickness when viewed with glasses.) Shaky-cam and quick cuts aren't necessarily bad things but you do risk making a scene less comprehensible and this sometimes happened (Quantum of Solace is the chief offender which comes to mind.)

If the point is that Lucas and co. focused on filling the frame too much, then it clearly didn't get in the way of delivering coherent and easily followed action. It's always clear where the eye needs to be.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I just watched Playtime and based on the current discussion that movie seems like it'd be a real nightmare for some ppl in this thread

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Elfgames posted:

yeah that dude who is all about being a jedi should totally be slaming people with the force, you know that whole thing jedi don't do and he should totally be like vader you know the bad guy. i mean i agree that he probably shouldn't be jumping everywhere but why the hell do people hate lightsabers so much? using the force to attack is dark it's evil it's perverting the power of life to cause harm.

Excellent, now explain why using the force to mind control a person is a noble and good guy thing to do while throwing a rock at someone with the force is an evil perversion of the power of life.

This is important, there's a reason that Luke enters Return of the Jedi by opening Jabba's big door like it's nothing (Yoda's big trick), choking out two guys with no effort (Vader's big trick) and then also using the force to force Jabba's emcee to obey (Obi-Wan's big trick).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"Machines building machines...how perverse."

I love this line.

C-3PO was hand-made. He's basically arguing against sweatshop labour. That doesn't stop him from benefiting from a happy liberal status quo reliant on the slavery in a galaxy far, far away.

C-3PO is prudish. He finds the act of reproduction (and what is reproduction but like making like, machines building machines?) obscene. He's more disgusted by it than the violence the droids are being built for.

Both of these things make the scenes in which he swaps bodies with a battle droid all the more telling. "Die, Jedi dogs!"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The weirdest part about this SE change is that he didn't do it to Obi as well, like what the gently caress

So I guess being a horrible person earns you a younger immortal ghost? Or maybe he's like that because the force shows you at your best? But he's a hosed up child murderer for the vast majority of his pre-suit time? So maybe it should be him as a tiny ghost child shouting "Yipee!"? and if its all in Lukes head why would he specifically imagine Hayden? Isn't his only experience seeing his father is when he's a pale bald dude?

I seriously want to hear a personal reading on how this makes sense at all. Maybe before selling off Star Wars he should have inserted a scene with lookalikes where Ben hands luke a picture of young Vader and goes "this is your dad. He was wicked cool during this time. Maybe if in the future you start seeing ghosts you should imagine he looks like this. Remember me like this though; these are real comfy robes, 100% cashmere lining, have a feel"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Excellent, now explain why using the force to mind control a person is a noble and good guy thing to do while throwing a rock at someone with the force is an evil perversion of the power of life.

This is important, there's a reason that Luke enters Return of the Jedi by opening Jabba's big door like it's nothing (Yoda's big trick), choking out two guys with no effort (Vader's big trick) and then also using the force to force Jabba's emcee to obey (Obi-Wan's big trick).

A mind trick is just a simple sugestion it doesn't work on the strong willed for a reason in theory anything you can do with a mind trick you could do with a persuasive argument.

luke is literally cloaked in the dark side all of return of the jedi he goes to the death star intending to kill or stall the emperor and vader until they are all killed at the end he lets go of his attachment to his anger and tosses away his lightsaber.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

For all the business in some of the prequel action sequences, there was never a point where I couldn't tell what was going on and where everyone was.

I didn't either, but for me that was the result of early greenscreen tech making it look like they are fighting in front of the screen. I guess that fits the reading of the films heavily referencing The Time of Matte Paintings. Personally I can't really get into that; both for the generational gap, and it feels like paying homage to 'that camcorder I had a decade ago that had a faulty play button'.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Going back and looking at some of these McQuarrie concepts, it's cool to see where the Special Editions actually managed to translate his artwork to the screen more faithfully than the original versions:

Original:

Original:

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 19, 2016

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
George Lucas is a a genius, that's why Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had such a great hook.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
the best thing about the special editions is that they re-released them in the cinema so 12 year old me could go and watch them on the big screen

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
chewie, the heart is up and to the left, silly wookie.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Tezzor posted:

The biggest problem with the visual aesthetic of the prequels, and here we are not even talking about how poor a lot of the CGI and bluescreening looks, is that what happened is that Lucas went to several different artists and said "take this established Star Wars thing and re-interpret it, make it look smoother and more colorful and cleaner,"

Where are you getting this George Lucas quote from?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

If people find this annoying I'll stop but I totally dig stuff like this:

Attack of the Clones

Lawrence of Arabia

This aspect of Star Wars is dead and buried.
Wew! Thanks. This is a handy website https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sources_and_analogues

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Elfgames posted:

luke is literally cloaked in the dark side all of return of the jedi he goes to the death star intending to kill or stall the emperor and vader until they are all killed at the end he lets go of his attachment to his anger and tosses away his lightsaber.

No, he pretty explicitly goes to Vader because he believes there's good in him and that he can be saved. He says this a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I want to go back to McQuarrie's design work to explain to parakeets who just like bright moving colors why stuffing a ton of poo poo into frame is a bad idea.

I find this simple image amazing for how well it tells a story. There are only like three things in the frame. The pilot has recently crashed his speeder into the snow in a barren area. There is a walker in the background, and their relation to each other in the frame and his posture and body language all indicate that it sees him, is coming towards him, and is a threat. The pilot is not only center frame but also the only color at all in the image. I think the basic story happening here is clear even if one had never seen the film. He's clearly a pilot, that's clearly a flying machine that has recently crashed into the snow, and some kind of big sinister-looking robot is coming for him. With zero dialogue or motion we comprehend an emotional tone and grasp a story.

Now imagine that also in this frame there are the following, as there certainly could have been:

-Two star destroyers in the upper atmosphere shooting green lasers in all directions
-An ion cannon on the ridge in the background shooting blue lasers at the star destroyers
-Six starfighters dogfighting in the sky, shooting red and green lasers at each other. One is exploding.
-Three other walkers on the horizon to the left. One is shooting green lasers at a trench filled with rebel troops shooting red lasers back at it, in front of a glowing white shield generator
-Two other speeders zooming overhead toward the primary walker, shooting red lasers

Worse, now imagine that instead of a still image, you're looking at a moving picture. So even if the pilot is big and colorful and in center frame, all the superfluous motion and colors in the background tend to constantly distract the eye and thereby the mind from the pilot's story and emotional state.

Notice how all of that adds nothing to the simple and emotionally compelling story occurring in the image, other than perhaps to make the feeling more dissonant and confusing? You might say that you're trying to make the scene dissonant and confusing. There are certain times where that's a good idea. But when you do that constantly don't be surprised that the audience feels: emotionally distant and confused??

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 19, 2016

• Locked thread