Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Did anybody else back No Country for Old Kobolds? I figured it would be pretty simple to knock together an Apocalypse World hack about kobolds, but here I am, nine months later, still getting those "the book is almost done, and I'm gonna update every week from now on, for real this time!" e-mails.

He's definitely behind, I think it's clear he's got the Perfection bug, but I still free pretty confident about getting the print version within the next 4 months. This isn't one of the projects I've written off yet, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Sprawl looks like it's finally ready to come out at least, last update was a preview of the cover art.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Did anybody else back No Country for Old Kobolds?

Yeah, right here. I'm a teeny bit annoyed at the lateness, but not too bad. Yet.

He really needs to get this thing out the door, though. I guess I thought, based on the video I watched of him running the game, that it was a lot closer to finished than it actually turned out to be.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I tried to read through that game's rules and while it didn't sound "Heartbreaker-y", it did feel both too generic and too complicated at the same time.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KetLDW9Afzs
The best thing about this video is how after bitching about other people doing it, the creator of the video pimps his own lovely kickstarter at the end.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Man, that Tavern Tales guy makes me really sad. He's clearly put a lot of work into this, he's actually got some pretty nice production values, especially in his pitch video which is more than you can say for some long-time industry publishers. But then he says "you can play a paladin on a dragon, not like in those other games" and one of his stretch goals is "would you like to play a prince, or be rich at the start of the game?" It's worse to see someone who has their poo poo so together, relatively speaking, but they still have no clue what they're doing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

It's like if I was kickstarting a comic and said that mine isn't about superheroes as a selling point. Do people not research the industry they want to join?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lightning Lord posted:

Do people not research the industry they want to join?

No, some (possibly, most) don't research. If I had to hazzard a guess, most people assume that, as a member of the hobby, they know everything about it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
No Country For Old Kobolds is a fantastic name.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Kai Tave posted:

The Sprawl looks like it's finally ready to come out at least, last update was a preview of the cover art.

I played in a game of this run by the author over xmas, and it was pretty sweet. I love the way the corps you build are so ubiquitous - everything bad and good ties into them somehow which is a nice piece of fiction and mechanics working together.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Read this if you backed Posthuman!

I just received an email as one of (supposedly) 54 people who have not received their copy of Posthuman.

They way they gave me my new tracking number was via an attached spreadsheet.

The second and third tabs of the spreadsheet has EVERY BACKERS information. Name, phone number, emails, some phone numbers.

I've been contacting the runner of the kickstarter and letting him know that this is a huge information leak and he needs to send an update to every backer and let them know, but he wants to email just the 54 of us who received the info and get our assurances that we have deleted the information.

I find this unacceptable.

edit: he actually just emailed me back and said he will do a mass update AFTER he's talked to all 54 people.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

omnibobb posted:

Read this if you backed Posthuman!

I just received an email as one of (supposedly) 54 people who have not received their copy of Posthuman.

They way they gave me my new tracking number was via an attached spreadsheet.

The second and third tabs of the spreadsheet has EVERY BACKERS information. Name, phone number, emails, some phone numbers.

I've been contacting the runner of the kickstarter and letting him know that this is a huge information leak and he needs to send an update to every backer and let them know, but he wants to email just the 54 of us who received the info and get our assurances that we have deleted the information.

I find this unacceptable.

edit: he actually just emailed me back and said he will do a mass update AFTER he's talked to all 54 people.
:eyepop:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kwyndig posted:

To some people it's a big red flag that he's just using KS because no one in their right mind would fund him instead of because of a commitment to crowdfunding.

To other people it just means he's a cheap rear end bastard who probably doesn't know how to budget a project anyway.

Edit: And to me it just means he's a towering idiot who wants money for his heartbreaker.

It might be that he made a new account for another reason. When I ran my kickstarter, I made a new account so I could associate it with an email account I check every day while letting the projects I had previously backed continue to send their spam ads updates to an account I check less often.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

omnibobb posted:

Hahahawow.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That dude needs to get his head on straight and notify people immediately. He hosed up real bad. REAL bad.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Ember kickstarter just went live. Seems potentially interesting as a filler game? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1118172895/ember-the-magical-card-game-and-fantasy-playing-ca?ref=video

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

"But they promised they'd delete it" isn't an acceptable defence from a loving two-year-old.

I'm almost sad it's not a UK company (AFAICT), because showing more people just how to use the Data Protection Act in anger would be fun.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Did Last Stand: Reinforcements end up getting released?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That dude needs to get his head on straight and notify people immediately. He hosed up real bad. REAL bad.

I find this reaction interesting...I posted a similar (albiet smaller scale) issue a while back where CC was used instead of BCC to send out a bunch of e-mails, and I got told "Nope, no problem, just deal with it, it was a simple mistake".

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

I find this reaction interesting...I posted a similar (albiet smaller scale) issue a while back where CC was used instead of BCC to send out a bunch of e-mails, and I got told "Nope, no problem, just deal with it, it was a simple mistake".

As bad as that is, and it's still bad, there's an order of magnitude between accidentally letting a bunch of peoples' email addresses out into the wild and letting peoples' email addresses, real names, and phone numbers slip. I care a lot less about random people getting my email address than I do those other two things.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
War is Coming: Shieldmaidens vs Orcs was canceled after a week because they only made 40,000 of their 30,000k goal? Remind me not to back them because they have no idea what they are doing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LordAba posted:

War is Coming: Shieldmaidens vs Orcs was canceled after a week because they only made 40,000 of their 30,000k goal? Remind me not to back them because they have no idea what they are doing.

It's very much a "took our ball and went home" situation.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"We're sorry, but due to clerical error, we titled our game 'War is Coming'. The correct name is 'War is Going'. We hope our backers understand and support us on future projects."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

quote:

But couldn't you just keep on going with the current backers and see where this lead instead of cancelling the project?

No. Instead of doing what we wanted to in our KS-1 (where we opted for 5 armies at a single campaign), we decided to take it one step at a time, funding two full/complete armies in every KS and launching a single project every 12-14 months, so after a few years we could have a complete game!

If in this KS-2 we sufficed in only a couple of kits (when the competition funds 5-6 times over using the same platform), then it's a contest we are hopelessly entering to lose. We feel like we asked for support and we are very grateful to those of you that gave it to us, more than you can imagine maybe, but we feel like we are holding a knife, and the opponent gets to choose which type of assault rifle he's getting... :-(

Emphasis mine, but I really don't get their model. I mean I realize what they mean by "complete" game, but that's such a bad way of putting it. It also looks like a bit of sour grapes that they're not doing as well as CMON or Reaper or any of those other companies. I'm not even what "sure what "it's a contest we are hopelessly entering to lose" even means.

Was their last KS this unprofessionally written?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Sounds to me like they massively lowballed their target in order to try generate interest and early backers but actually needed a lot more for production, then had a panic when pledges slowed down.

Ah well, if they re-start it they'll at least have the chance to fix the bare midriffs. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?416257-quot-Shieldmaidens-vs-Orcs-quot-(plastics)-army-game-Kickstarter-is-LIVE! for context.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Fumaofthelake posted:

No. Still no firm signs it's going to either.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My take is that they assumed there'd be massive interest which would let them put a large number of new boxes of minis out for the two armies. So, by the end of the kickstarter, they'd have two "complete" armies ready, and could do another KS in a year or something to generate more "complete" armies. Where "complete" is something like, just as many different unit types as you find in a warhammer fantasy army.

E.g., they got their hopes up. Waaaaaay up. And then when the kickstarter actually funded, but slowed down a bit after a week (like they all do), they looked at their projections and were like, "oh, we'll succeed with this KS but only get to make five of the twenty boxes of minis we were hoping to make." Add in some serious sour grapes when they look at multi-million-dollar minis kickstarters from other companies. Maybe they thought they were no different from Mantic or something.

This is a massive fuckup though. They could have simply accepted that what their customers want is some boxes of minis and made those minis for those customers. They could have waited until much later in the campaign. They could have set the initial goal at a level they'd be comfortable with in the first place. The fact that this is their second try at a kickstarter, and they're already declaring it a failure, shows that these people are not emotionally equipped for this revenue model, or maybe for being in business at all.

It's fine with me, I was never going to back anyway. They were trying to attach their minis to a generic fantasy wargame ruleset, which was never going to work (basically nobody was pledging because they really wanted these rules). They were wildly overestimating what people would be willing to pay for a mammoth mini. They were structuring rewards so that you couldn't choose not to get items you didn't want, like the random dragon. And, as others mentioned, while it's fantastic to see anyone doing an all-women minis force that isn't blatant cheescake, they did pick "barbarians" complete with bare midriffs. An economically viable choice, but not what I'm looking for. Meanwhile their orks were just orks, I saw nothing even remotely inspired or fresh about this latest batch of orks.

These guys are not capable of doing what they want to do. Whether due to emotional fragility, inability to set realistic goals, or just a lack of awareness of the public image they've built, they are not going to succeed without someone a lot more experienced taking over.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Got my Twilight Struggle collector's edition today! Beautiful wooden box. Cruddy-appearing minis, Soviet tank's barrel snapped off prior to reaching me. I'll have to tear down and look at all the components this weekend before requesting replacements.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like they were planning a new plastic kit out every 30k. I'm sure they would have hit at least 60k... now they have nothing to show. Seems silly unless they majorly hosed up and 30k wasn't enough to fund the original stuff.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fumaofthelake posted:

Not to my knowledge. It's one of a handful of TG projects I'm still waiting on, including Rosemount Bay and of course Alas, Vegas. I guess technically Far West, too given that that was promised as one of the consolations for the extreme lateness of Alas, Vegas. but, uh...did not actually back that one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah they were counting on like a 600k final total and they literally couldn't stomach a slowdown in the second week while looking at best-case projections of maybe 100k or something.

Meanwhile most first-time kickstarters would murder a building full of orphans to be able to hit fully funded within a few days and maybe flirt with a hundred thousand dollars worth of seed money for their nerd project.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
To be fair, it's a known issue that kickstarter encourages wild lowballing of "needed funds" for a project. Yeah; it's because those companies have other revenue, either from investors or profits from other stuff they already funded, but you only have to look at how utterly horrid some people were to, for example, the Skullgirls kickstarter, for giving an up-front costing of their entire project, rather than going "We need 10k from you*! (*so we can convince investors to give us the remaining 290k/because we're hoping you're going to think it's great value and give us ten times that much)".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

InShaneee posted:

No. Still no firm signs it's going to either.

There was a mention that there'll be an upcoming update!

... three months ago. :sigh:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah that sounds really lovely of that company to hit their funding goal and then withdraw the entire project because they weren't making Bones money (because they're not Reaper). Definitely not professional.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I opened one of my MERCS: Recon boxes. It contained 3 bags of board game pieces you have to glue together. Quantity assurance in action.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

I opened one of my MERCS: Recon boxes. It contained 3 bags of board game pieces you have to glue together. Quantity assurance in action.

MERCs is from the Myth people, right? There you go.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

signalnoise posted:

They've been pretty clear for months now that you would have to assemble the minis, and that's pretty standard for miniature games outside the boardgame space, which is their core competency. I guess there's a quality ceiling on what you can do in single-piece minis. Of course, I also have no desire to do this and would not have backed Recon if that had been made clear at the time of the Kickstarter, so I do sympathize. I'm just glad one of my boardgaming friends is a minis hobbyist and is willing to help with assembly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

LordAba posted:

MERCs is from the Myth people, right? There you go.

I'm so glad my boner for kickstarters went down at the end of 2015

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
We played a round of Mercs: Recon tonight - after we had a couple of fairly important questions answered via official designer rulings that were not in the rulebook, we were able to proceed fairly smoothly through a game and all had pretty positive impressions of the game itself. Overall it seems a lot more together and functional than release-date Myth (though it's also not as complex), but the rulebook's still not great. You can read through it once and have a fairly good sense of how to play, although there's a few subsidiary things that are located in examples and whatnot that are important but not highlighted in the spots that they probably should be. But there are certain things it doesn't quite address and depending on your setup and events in the game they can be pretty key. The big things for me were:
1) Can you move into or through areas that are at maximum capacity? Official answer: no. (This is hinted at by a Khemvar Merc's special ability but otherwise unaddressed in the box.)
2) What are the stats on Workers? Officially, apparently 1 HP and 2 movement, but this isn't actually given anywhere in box.
3) How the gently caress do you read Breach and Clear setups (never explicitly addressed anywhere that I could find though they do give one example, and things can be extrapolated from that), and how do non-mission Objective markers interact with B&C? The latter was answered: you reveal the objective at the start, if it's the mission objective, you do the mission B&C setup, if not you do the generic one in the rulebook and you don't lose if you blow up the objective (and aren't supposed to), you just can't get its special bonus.

They also failed to include a card for one of the special employee types (Technician), but they put an image of it in the FAQ PDF and will ship them with wave 2 for KS backers getting stretch goals. And the dice are slightly hosed up in print quality, certain Agent cards list a "conditional" for black agents doing something "if the security level is at least 1", which is where it starts so that's not really a conditional, and there's a few mild, obvious errors in the rulebook (like saying "see page 11 for more details on this" on page 11 - the additional details are actually on page 12). Possibly other stuff I didn't notice.

But like I say...more issues than I'm okay with, per se, but certainly a lot better than Myth out of the gate and mostly pretty trivial or at least easily looked up. Also, frankly, I have read worse rulebooks. Robinson Crusoe and Arkham Horror come to mind. :psyduck:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Just wanted to let folks know that the latest Kickstarter campaign I'm involved in has launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Fun Shoe
That game looks really, truly terrible.

• Locked thread