Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11574655

Matt Nippert is a business investigations reporter

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
it must really suck to be a journalist in new zealand. when do you ever get to do the important stories about fraudulent businesses or corrupt politicians or deceitful public figures? you just write up national party press releases and rework AP stories with a NZ spin

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lancelot posted:

it must really suck to be a journalist in new zealand. when do you ever get to do the important stories about fraudulent businesses or corrupt politicians or deceitful public figures? you just write up national party press releases and rework AP stories with a NZ spin

You can't, because otherwise you get cut off, and I guess they don't have the will and/or knowhow when it comes to finding the right spot to start digging. You also get flabbergasting situations like One and 3 reporters comparing notes to make sure their 6 o'clock news bulletins were consistent with each other.

Of course, you also run the risk of being cut off once you've used up your usefulness, like Glucina - although in her case the process was probably accelerated by the publication of Dirty Politics.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If you try and do real journalism in NZ you'll find cops going through your poo poo, illegally, then legally.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

If you try and do real journalism in NZ you'll find cops going through your poo poo, illegally, then legally.

so succinct

:(

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
So it is possible for a young person to own a house in Auckland?

All it takes is pulling yourself up by your bootstraps to become a Grammy winning, world-wide multiple platinum selling recording artist.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

That is not entirely true. You could probably also do it with a small loan of about a million dollars from your parents. Assuming you don't mind owning a rental in a less desirable neighbourhood.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Also it's not true because bootstraps implies doing all of the work yourself when she had producers and A&R and a label and and and

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/national/75919612/Skill-shortages-tipped-as-student-numbers-plummet

quote:

Data released to the Sunday Star-Times shows the number of people studying at tertiary level students has fallen 20 per cent over the past 10 years.

There were 453,000 students enrolled in tertiary institutes in 2005. By 2014, that had fallen to 363,000.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Studylink working as intended.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Vagabundo posted:

That's hosed up. Who was it, so we can all boycott those bastards?

Well it took longer than I thought, but I can finally talk about my redundancy now! My company (Core Technology) was bought by another company called certus (http://certussolutions.com/). Everyone was made redundant, and most of us were offered new contracts, but I wasn't. LAME.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

well if there's less tertiary students, how come we still have to fit four of them to a bedroom??

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

klen dool posted:

...another company called certus (http://certussolutions.com/).

BINGO!

I've never seen a website with so much leveraging synergistic paradigms gobbledegook on it.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Chalupa Joe posted:

BINGO!

I've never seen a website with so much leveraging synergistic paradigms gobbledegook on it.

loving yep. I don't think I would be a good cultural fit there. I read their "employee handbook" - which is referred to in their contracts - and my god, it was written in the 1920's I think. Business clothes all day every day, men have the dress code prescribed specifically but women are left to their own devices, "casual" Friday still means no jeans or tee-shirts. I could go on, anything you guess would be in something like that is there but worse. There is even a section which is basically "yeah I am gonna need you to come in Saturday"....

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Love the blurry upsized picture on the web solutions page. Really reassuring that they know what they're doing.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Love the blurry upsized picture on the web solutions page. Really reassuring that they know what they're doing.

That was the very first thing I noticed as well, and guess who else they got rid of? Our lead designer guy lol

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Replace the "man gifted deposit" one with "Gareth Morgan expresses a bad opinion" and this is pretty much spot on

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Twitter's reaction embedded in article on event in which people died tragically (FREE SPACE)

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Since it's necessary to read The Herald to play this game, the only way to win is not to play.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Where is the

And what is the Kiwi connection?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Bushmaori posted:

Where is the

And what is the Kiwi connection?

"Low-key xenophobic headline" kinda captures that.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The comments on the Dick Smith Facebook page are loving gold, especially the super obvious fake accounts made just to say DSE is actually sooooo good and cool!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How can you afford to pay astroturfers when your business has gone under?

I mean, other than with gift cards.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Free poo poo from around the back, come grab it in the PnS parking lot tho.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home-property/76058809/fence-builder-david-walmsley-tells-court-he-did-not-have-to-consider-neighbours

in other news from "Rich people take each other to court" :lol:

quote:

The man who built the four-metre-high fence blocking his neighbours' views of Wellington Harbour has told a court he felt no need to consider its effects on them.

what a dick.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

That fence is part of a loving play fort? From the looks of it his playhouse is the size of my family home.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Solus posted:

quote:

The man who runs the country and used the police to illegally bully journalists has told a court he felt no need to consider its effects on them.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Free poo poo from around the back, come grab it in the PnS parking lot tho.

Can I just show up and claim that I made posts

I'll totally make pro-DS posts if I get some free sweg out of it

I've got a friend who worked at one of them and he's a cool dude so I'm not even lying when I say at least one staff member that I talked to knew what he was doing

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Solus posted:

what a dick.

gently caress-you-Got-mine at its purest.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
What the actual gently caress?

quote:

MediaWorks announces the end of 3News

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Wow, I'm not sure wtf the wellington council was thinking when they approved that.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

What the actual gently caress?

They're just changing the name. It even has the same anchors. Nice to know they can't even report on themselves accurately.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Infotainment! posted:

They're just changing the name. It even has the same anchors. Nice to know they can't even report on themselves accurately.

Not a good time for Media Works to make jokes about ending shows.

Also, what the gently caress is up with New Zealand companies giving up loving primo namespace and recognisability for the sake of newness? [Channel] News is about as good as you can loving get. But then, Telecom New Zealand turned itself into Spark or whatever, and it seems to be hobbling along just fine, so what do I know

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Every one still calls Spark Telecom, except for a few who call it Xtra.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I don't know anyone who says Z over Shell.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Shut the gently caress up, Mike

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

Why is he such a oval office middle-class, middle-aged, rich white dude?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Well, he's right. It is full of abuse, anger and ignorance. Just look at Hosking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Exclamation Marx posted:

loving Christ did he melt?

• Locked thread