Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also a blond chick with eye whites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Srice posted:

Katz is a good character

He's all about the perils of blind, uncritical hero worship

Katz is a very well written character who you are supposed to find incredibly annoying. His arc is fundamentally tragic but goddamn is he just the worst.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
To be fair to Katz, The AUEG has the weirdest security issues.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
To be even more fair to Katz, it worked for Amuro. And Kamille. And even Fa. It just didn't work for him, because the plot was against him. They were all in mobile suits and not core fighters though. Maybe that's the lesson in all this that Tomino wanted us to take away: core fighters suck balls on their own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

To be even more fair to Katz, it worked for Amuro. And Kamille. And even Fa. It just didn't work for him, because the plot was against him. They were all in mobile suits and not core fighters though. Maybe that's the lesson in all this that Tomino wanted us to take away: core fighters suck balls on their own.

Sayla piloted a Core Fighter and had the second highest kill count on White Base!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Difference with Katz is, he would get into robots out of a desire to be a hero, not out of necessity.

Poor guy only knew the Amuro that became a hero, not the Amuro who experienced some serious poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Difference with Katz is, he would get into robots out of a desire to be a hero, not out of necessity.

Poor guy only knew the Amuro that became a hero, not the Amuro who experienced some serious poo poo.

Katz saved Jaburo. He was already a hero and never realized it. :smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sayla piloted a Core Fighter and had the second highest kill count on White Base!

G-Fighter. Key difference - one of them actually has serviceable weaponry.

If Katz had been pulling those exact same moves in a G-Fighter, he would have obliterated Yazan rather than just scratching his paintwork.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

G-Fighter. Key difference - one of them actually has serviceable weaponry.

If Katz had been pulling those exact same moves in a G-Fighter, he would have obliterated Yazan rather than just scratching his paintwork.

Actually Katz's G-Defensor is a lot more comparable to the Core Booster Sayla was the retcon-pilot of! It's actually probably better than the G-Fighter was. Just... y'know, it's even better as the Super Gundam instead of with Katz's rear end piloting it. So Katz gets to ride around in the crappy ejected cockpit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Actually Katz's G-Defensor is a lot more comparable to the Core Booster Sayla was the retcon-pilot of! It's actually probably better than the G-Fighter was. Just... y'know, it's even better as the Super Gundam instead of with Katz's rear end piloting it. So Katz gets to ride around in the crappy ejected cockpit.

I was talking purely in the context of that scene, where he had given all the guns to Emma and was engaging Yazan in that tiny little Core Fighter. That certainly gave him much less firepower than Sayla carried around.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Pissing in the wind is more effective than most of the G-Fighter's abilities are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Pissing in the wind is more effective than most of the G-Fighter's abilities are.

The G-Fighter is effectively as well-armed as the Gundam and scores more on-screen kills than the Guncannon or Guntank does. Like it's stupid and toyetic but both its on-paper stats and in-series effectiveness are really high. Its beam cannon is the strongest weapon available to the White Base combat crew that isn't attached to the White Base.

(It can also combine with the Gundam but I'm perfectly happy to forget the G-Bull.)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The G-Fighter is effectively as well-armed as the Gundam and scores more on-screen kills than the Guncannon or Guntank does. Like it's stupid and toyetic but both its on-paper stats and in-series effectiveness are really high. Its beam cannon is the strongest weapon available to the White Base combat crew that isn't attached to the White Base.

(It can also combine with the Gundam but I'm perfectly happy to forget the G-Bull.)

It's a great aicraft fighter when Salya gets her skillz up to par and Sleggar gets one, but it's main selling point, the combinations, are utterly useless.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

closeted republican posted:

It's a great aicraft fighter when Salya gets her skillz up to par and Sleggar gets one, but it's main selling point, the combinations, are utterly useless.

It gets the Gundam from A to B quickly, and provides powerful fire support once it's there. That's all it needs to do. Everything else is just the White Base crew dicking around with their new toys.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sayla killed a Black Tri-Star I guess.

I laugh everytime Char has that scene when he's informed the Gundam is part of a combination, because the most feared villain in UC is afraid of the loving G-Bull.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The G-Fighter combination is also hilariously broken in SRW because it has all the advantages of a Gundam and a G-Fighter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I forgot the G-Bull even exists.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really liked the G-Bull in the Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam game.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I got around to watching the original series, in the movie trilogy form, and, holy poo poo, I can see why this kicked off a cultural phenomenon. It transforms, very quickly, from a kids adventure into a statement about war and its futility, the dangers of extremism, and how war transforms us all. It's really goddamn impressive. One of those things that was so far ahead of the curve it pretty much defined it. The most surprising thing to me was that the action scenes were not only well designed, but really non-patronising. No one yells out the name of their special move. No one explained every exchange (Oh, he did the super-jump, which cancels out flying kick. If only he'd used Desperate Housewife) it shows you what's happening, clearly, and trusts you to keep up.

So, I'm going to press on, but I would like to know what this thing is:
It's super goddamn pretty.

Also, is there any consensus on what the prettiest animated series is? 08th MS Team was gorgeous, is that the peak?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I got around to watching the original series, in the movie trilogy form, and, holy poo poo, I can see why this kicked off a cultural phenomenon. It transforms, very quickly, from a kids adventure into a statement about war and its futility, the dangers of extremism, and how war transforms us all. It's really goddamn impressive. One of those things that was so far ahead of the curve it pretty much defined it. The most surprising thing to me was that the action scenes were not only well designed, but really non-patronising. No one yells out the name of their special move. No one explained every exchange (Oh, he did the super-jump, which cancels out flying kick. If only he'd used Desperate Housewife) it shows you what's happening, clearly, and trusts you to keep up.

So, I'm going to press on, but I would like to know what this thing is:
It's super goddamn pretty.

Also, is there any consensus on what the prettiest animated series is? 08th MS Team was gorgeous, is that the peak?

prettiest animated series probably goes to either 0083:stardust memory or Unicorn. Unfortunately I don't really like the story of either.

Also that's a zaku ii someone's strapped a bunch of weapons to

edit: the guy below me is right, that's a gouf. The shoulders are zaku though

Droyer fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 19, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a kitbash of a gouf custom from 08th ms team and various weapons from other kits

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Turn-A or G-Reco are very pretty looking television series, though both in rather different ways. Turn-A has quite a muted color palette but is mostly hand animated and is just plain beautiful at times, featuring a lot of very idyllic pastoral scenery in the first half before the show transitions in to space where things get more science fiction flavored. G-Reco on the other hand has a more bright and vibrant color palette that is designed to be appealing to children but is good looking by most any standard, especially in combination with the fact that the show tends to be very dynamic in the way a lot of the shots are composed, with lots of little bits of expressive animation to keep things visually appealing.

They're not the most fluidly animated stuff and certainly can't stand up to the sheer time and budget of an OVA, but in some ways I think they're even prettier than the OVAs like 0083 and Unicorn.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
G-Reco has the best particle effects I've seen in an anime.
https://jii.moe/EkToG2IOx.webm

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Stupid question: What's G-Reco?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Stupid question: What's G-Reco?

Gundam reconguista in G. A 26 episode anime that aired from autumn 2014 to spring 2015. The latest (and probably last) gundam show directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino, the original creator of the franchise

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

Gundam reconguista in G. A 26 episode anime that aired from autumn 2014 to spring 2015. The latest (and probably last) gundam show directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino, the original creator of the franchise

Worth checking out? For what it's worth, I liked SEED. Why is it disliked here?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

It's very divisive. Personally I like it a lot. I can't speak for everyone but the reason some people dislike it is that it has very fast pacing and the characters act in ways some people find alien.

If you do watch it though i'll say this: it requires you to pay pretty close attention, important things are often mentioned in passing, among other things

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
G-Self may just be my favourite Gundam.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Reds posted:

G-Reco has the best particle effects I've seen in an anime.
https://jii.moe/EkToG2IOx.webm

I want a model of that loving monster engine suit.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turn A Episode 26-50

Nukes, Mass drivers, space! Moon Dolphins, space Samurai, People constantly screwing up from running Gambits. The Heroes don't get a very good end. One villain gets a horrifying end while almost all others escape unharmed. People from the 1920's don't react well to space. A Char is happy for once. The secret of Laura is revealed.

Droyer posted:

It's very divisive. Personally I like it a lot. I can't speak for everyone but the reason some people dislike it is that it has very fast pacing and the characters act in ways some people find alien.

The MC Belleri has functionally no character development. He is the same half formed construct(An Idiot) going in as he is going out. The only permanent thing that ever changes for him is that he stops hitting on his Sister. Has the worse A CHAR in Gundam history.

Snowman_McK posted:

The battles are anti-SEED. Everybody fights because fighting, not really for any solid goals most of the time(Not even for SALT at times), there aren't any clever plans unless you count hostage taking or proper limitations to produce tension. Gundam will literally pull out BS super power out of thin air to get out of a situation and it's never mentioned again. As much as everybody bags on Kira "Jesus" Yamato, he goes through a lot of character development to get to where he is, which is something you will not see in G-Reco for anybody. Watch G-Reco only if you like flashy lights, it is the only Gundam series I wouldn't recommend for anybody.

If you have seen Gundam, Zeta and ZZ, go watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfAUgZoN1Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK3ihHJDK34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEB_Px0bl4g

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Instead of G-Reco, I recommend watching Zeta, Turn-A or Iron-Blooded Orphans, all of which are significantly better. Iron-Blooded Orphans is currently airing and available to stream for free in a bunch of countries.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

The MC Belleri has functionally no character development. He is the same half formed construct(An Idiot) going in as he is going out. The only permanent thing that ever changes for him is that he stops hitting on his Sister.

It starts with him just blindly accepting his little slice of the world as it's presented to him, and ends with him going out to see the entire world with his own eyes

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've just started Zeta, and it's pretty goddamn prescient, managing to comment on the War on Terror 15 years before it happened.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Just watch 0080 first, the happiest and most heart-warming story in the UC.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Just watch 0080 first, the happiest and most heart-warming story in the UC.

I've seen that. Nice goddamn try.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

oohhboy posted:

The MC Belleri has functionally no character development. He is the same half formed construct(An Idiot) going in as he is going out. The only permanent thing that ever changes for him is that he stops hitting on his Sister. Has the worse A CHAR in Gundam history.

The battles are anti-SEED. Everybody fights because fighting, not really for any solid goals most of the time(Not even for SALT at times), there aren't any clever plans unless you count hostage taking or proper limitations to produce tension. Gundam will literally pull out BS super power out of thin air to get out of a situation and it's never mentioned again. As much as everybody bags on Kira "Jesus" Yamato, he goes through a lot of character development to get to where he is, which is something you will not see in G-Reco for anybody. Watch G-Reco only if you like flashy lights, it is the only Gundam series I wouldn't recommend for anybody.

None of this is remotely true if you actually watch the series and pay attention. Some of these are so plainly wrong I can't fathom how anyone could think them.

Edit: Like, all factions have clear stated goals, Bellri has a lot of character development, Mask is great and even if you don't like him he does plenty of stuff that puts him above the worst chars, there's quite a few clever plans and seriously are you just outright lying at this point?

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 19, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mask's motivations are pretty clear, and he doesnt even care Cumpa's basically winding him up and setting him off most of the time to further Cumpa's plans so long as he gets a shot at kicking Bellri's poo poo in for the last n+1 times Bellri soundly clowned him with the G-Self.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There's absolutely no competition for Worst Char as long as Chronicle exists. Maybe Zeheart, but at least Zeheart occasionally at least comes close to accomplishing things. Chronicle starts the series getting his rear end kicked by a 13 year old and it pretty much goes downhill from there until it ends with an audible clunk. The only thing that puts him above Jerid in how relatively pathetic he is is that the protagonist at least consistently remembers his name before tossing him in a dumpster.

This is the final epic conflict between Usso and Chronicle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4ewYRrv7s

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 19, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mask has a terrible backstory that doesn't make any sense. It would have been far better off if he was written as part of the slave class. He is angry at Bellri because he is Jelly and because Bellri is BS. After the final battle he just goes "Meh" I guess I have Manny now?. Mask never stood a chance as time and again G-self would just pull some BS move to get out of it. Ok you got me on Chronicle, at least Mask stays alive.

Most of the factions disappear half way through, new ones popup, then the old ones kill each other off, then more fighting and it ends. You could have tossed out half of the story and it wouldn't have made a difference. Did they have to spend so much time establishing there are space fleets in orbit? or that the Space Pope knows nothing? Monday does gently caress all and brain damage isn't character development. Who cares about all these other factions if you turn around and vaporize them with no consequences.

Then there is the asinine episode where everybody starts fighting over space trash. Everybody was trying to do their own little gambits, but it was just embarrassing. People died over space trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yelling about how things don't make sense doesn't make it true.