Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr Dog posted:

my laptop is an x1 carbon

the touchpad is indeed some giant synaptics piece of crap

i'm not too sure on the specifics but it has a ps/2 interface and an i2c interface.

holy loving lol, why would anyone engineer a touchpad that way

having two interface options is dumb enough, but those options being ps/2 and i2c is hilariously worse. the 1990s called, synaptics, there is a thing called usb you may have heard of???

thinkpads really are garbage aren't they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i2c takes a lot less power than ps/2 to run, that's why

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ps/2 is just for fallback so it works with generic drivers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

blowfish posted:

I would pay lenovo three thousand euros for a x350 with a decent keyboard+trackpoint in the old layout, an ultrabay, a 1080p ips screen in a clamshell/with a rupper lip and maybe a thinklight. An extra 200 if it's also dockable.

for that kind of money you can get an actually good laptop, a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, and use a ThunderBolt 2 dock to connect to a couple 4K displays, mechanical keyboard, gigabit Ethernet, and so on at your desk

has there been any update on Apple's market share among $1000+ computers? last I saw in the press was almost 10 years ago but at the time it was on the order of 90%

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

eschaton posted:

for that kind of money you can get an actually good laptop, a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, and use a ThunderBolt 2 dock to connect to a couple 4K displays, mechanical keyboard, gigabit Ethernet, and so on at your desk

has there been any update on Apple's market share among $1000+ computers? last I saw in the press was almost 10 years ago but at the time it was on the order of 90%

yeah but 10 years ago I paid like $2400 for a PowerBook G4

they were horribly overpriced

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they actually owned

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

craisins posted:

yeah but 10 years ago I paid like $2400 for a PowerBook G4

I think you'll find that

pram posted:

they actually owned

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

craisins posted:

yeah but 10 years ago I paid like $2400 for a P-P-P-PowerBook

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i wouldn't pay that much, given how good the retina macbookpro is these days.

but i would like to see them make one with a good keyboard and the top lip and the corner thinklight and battery that sticks out the back instead of the bottom

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why the hell would you want a light on the top of the display instead of a light under the keys

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

holy loving lol, why would anyone engineer a touchpad that way

having two interface options is dumb enough, but those options being ps/2 and i2c is hilariously worse. the 1990s called, synaptics, there is a thing called usb you may have heard of???

thinkpads really are garbage aren't they

hid over i2c is becoming more and more of a thing lately. probably because low power, yeah.

apparently dell's flagship shitboat uses i2c exclusively for keyboard and trackpad io

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mr Dog posted:

why the hell would you want a light on the top of the display instead of a light under the keys

because it's good for data entry and note taking and stuff where you're also looking at things other than the keyboard (if you're no touch typist you're a loving scrub by the way)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

blowfish posted:

because it's good for data entry and note taking and stuff where you're also looking at things other than the keyboard (if you're no touch typist you're a loving scrub by the way)

lmao

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The thinklight is a miniature table lamp. Think "USB attached LED light, except not on a USB port and not lovely".

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i had a work provided t420 and your characterization of 'not lovely' is profoundly incorrect

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

pram posted:

i had a work provided t420 and your characterization of 'not lovely' is profoundly incorrect

the *20 thinkpads are pretty meh :agreed:, apart from still retaining the keyboard and thinklight they're full of half-baked design decisions executed in brittle materials

basically after 2010 everything good about them got cut though lenovo finally seems to have reached a new equilibrium point of consistent semi-crappiness

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 17, 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my thinkpad has the print screen button between the windows key and the control key.

it's like, why? why is that there? i hit at all the time by accident. obviously i've remapped it by now but wtf?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr Dog posted:

hid over i2c is becoming more and more of a thing lately. probably because low power, yeah.

apparently dell's flagship shitboat uses i2c exclusively for keyboard and trackpad io

apple manages industry leading battery life with a usb keyboard/trackpad

this is probably because when your battery is measured in tens of watt-hours, the amount of power used to transmit poo poo at usb1 speeds is so tiny it just doesnt matter

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

my thinkpad has the print screen button between the windows key and the control key.

it's like, why? why is that there? i hit at all the time by accident. obviously i've remapped it by now but wtf?

It's because lenovo is a bad company full of idiots, hth

this is not the first time they tried to reinvent the wheel and ended up with a pile of junk, see e.g. the touchscreen/keyboard combination on the second x1 and two generations of touchpads full of nipples

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

just to add to this i2c discussion - it's the switch to i2c that forces you over to at least windows 8 on newer dells if you don't want a lovely generic non-adjustable touchpad with no palm-detection. i2c devices uses some new hid driver framework in windows that was first introduced with windows 8.

it took some time before these devices were supported by linux, but synaptics finally got their rmi4 driver in shape enough to be included in kernel 3.16, so it's been there a little while.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

they probably grabbed a focus group, looked at how many people pressed which key, cut every key in the bottom 10%, and kinda kludged anything left together

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BobHoward posted:

apple manages industry leading battery life with a usb keyboard/trackpad

this is probably because when your battery is measured in tens of watt-hours, the amount of power used to transmit poo poo at usb1 speeds is so tiny it just doesnt matter

that's because apple just builds things that work in the way apple wants them to work

gently caress excessive backwards compatibility,

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

blowfish posted:

gently caress excessive backwards compatibility,

Compatibility matrices for our Mac users are hilarious and depressing

Bonus points if you put the list of not-backported security fixes side by side

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
The c720 first shipped in 2013 with an i2c touch pad. I loled at the number of people who couldn't figure out they could plug in a USB mouse to do a graphical install of Linux. Shame about shipping with 2gb of ram. At least Pram rightfully educated me on the fact that they had already implemented my lovely idea of a swapfile on a compressed filesystem that existed on a ram-disk.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I vote pram best yosposter 2015.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

wonder if one could use old DEC workstation equipment with appropriate level conversion

(DEC's workstations used 12V I2C for keyboards and mice and stuff, my friend Peter worked on it)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

wonder if one could use old DEC workstation equipment with appropriate level conversion

(DEC's workstations used 12V I2C for keyboards and mice and stuff, my friend Peter worked on it)

linux already has a driver for DEC keyboards, and a separate one for mice, so it wouldn't be all that difficult to get either one working if you have the electrical part sorted out.

i never much liked dec keyboards, myself

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 18, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

My Logitech keyboard at work has an fn key where the menu key normally is and the menu key is probably fn+prntscr or something, who the gently caress cares, the menu key is more useless than scroll lock

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what's the menu key?

honestly my ideal keyboard would be 100 meta keys and one real key

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

what's the menu key?

it's the one that modern keyboards put where compose is supposed to be

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Soricidus posted:

it's the one that modern keyboards put where compose is supposed to be

I guess we should all just use Model Ms for the rest of our lives

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

nosl posted:

model M has the ctrl key in the wrong place

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i finally got touchegg + swiping working for me

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wheany posted:

the menu key is more useless than scroll lock

purge the heretic

the menu key is more useful than f6-f12/f24 in general and the most useful key of all if you are a member of the keyboard>mouse master race :c00lbutt:

nosl posted:

this is a good opinion

though in 2050 when model ms cost like $3500 we can probably start recommending unicomp knockoffs

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sice when is bottom left the wrong place

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

that's not the model m i have

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
lol if you can't tell thats a sun type 5.

:pray: please let it be a type 5

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress caps lock, the worst and most useless key ever invented

i'd post a picture of my modded type 6 with two left control keys but i don't want to inflict the shame of my filthy desk on the world.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

despite having rubber dome switches, the feel on my Sun Type 5 with UNIX layout is really nice

and those meta keys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

eschaton posted:

despite having rubber dome switches, the feel on my Sun Type 5 with UNIX layout is really nice

and those meta keys!

my favourite sun key is Com-
pose

shame the left function keys don't work in windows, i keep meaning to get round to writing a driver to fix that but :effort: