Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have had numerous agencies contact me to ask me if I know anyone looking for work in my field in regional areas.

Like, literally asking me to do their job for them.

As suggested though they often get used by larger companies to filter their applicants. I still apply for the roles but I have a separate version of my resume which does not include the names of my references, managers, or contact information for any of the businesses I worked for, to prevent them using my details to contact my bosses if I am looking for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

McCloud posted:

So quick question. I've been called in for an interview for what is p. much a tech support job. They want me to do a presentation and one of the things I should include is "What is my approach to identify and deal with key challenges".

And I'm at a bit of a loss at what they're gunning for with that question. Any insight?

Oh also, they've said they're paying for travel and accommodation. Is it rude if I take a cab from the airport to there and bill them for thato r should I just take local transportation?

It sounds like a variation of "Tell me about a time when you were presented with and overcame a challenge". Pretty standard stuff unless I'm missing something. You should have some canned responses for typical behavioral questions and this seems like one of them.

Send them your Uber receipt or whatever, that's part of travel.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Laserface posted:

I have had numerous agencies contact me to ask me if I know anyone looking for work in my field in regional areas.

Like, literally asking me to do their job for them.

As suggested though they often get used by larger companies to filter their applicants. I still apply for the roles but I have a separate version of my resume which does not include the names of my references, managers, or contact information for any of the businesses I worked for, to prevent them using my details to contact my bosses if I am looking for work.

I "network" with IT people all the time, but generally try to be a bit tactful. "Hi, this is Dark Helmut and I'm looking to network with IT professionals in the area because I'm trying to fill xyz position. It looks like you might be happy where you are, but I was wondering if you know anyone with a similar skillset that might be interested? I offer a nice referral bonus if I can place them."

I try not to over do this, but it's pretty normal and I'm dangling a nice referral bonus as an incentive. It also opens the door for you to enter consideration too. If this is still bothersome to you (and I totally get it if it is) just ask them to remove you from their call list. At least in my agency, we don't want to have people going around telling how obnoxious we are, but YMMV with whoever is calling you.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

McCloud posted:

So quick question. I've been called in for an interview for what is p. much a tech support job. They want me to do a presentation and one of the things I should include is "What is my approach to identify and deal with key challenges".

And I'm at a bit of a loss at what they're gunning for with that question. Any insight?

Oh also, they've said they're paying for travel and accommodation. Is it rude if I take a cab from the airport to there and bill them for thato r should I just take local transportation?
They're asking what your general approach is to solving a technical problem. This question is so abstract that I completely bombed it on an interview for a senior-level position a few years ago, having internalized these things so thoroughly I forgot how to put them into words.

In general, that approach looks something like:

1. Understand what the user is trying to do. What are they doing, and what is the behavior they expect?
2. Gather more information about the hardware and software environment, and connectivity, to help you understand the scenario.
3. Build a mental model of the hardware and software components involved in the problem.
4. Consider external confounding factors that might impact the user's ability to get the expected behavior.
5. Using the information above, rank and prioritize the steps you will take to resolve the problem.
6. Have the user perform the next resolution steps. Verify that they are performing the steps in the same way that you expect.
7. Test to see whether the problem has resolved. If not, return to #6.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i applied for a DBA position at a museum two weeks ago. yesterday, the potential boss invited me in to interview with them and HR. they also want me to fill out their own application. the application asks for most things my resume already supplies. it also asks for my college gpa.

my college gpa is terrible. like...2.47 terrible. i battled depression in school, which killed the grades for my first 2.5 years. i ended up taking a year and a half off for it. after that stint i was fine. needless to say, i don't like giving my gpa, and i really don't like explaining why. should i still fill out this answer? i don't think any of these fields are required. But it'd certainly be suspicious if the gpa wasn't there. i feel like it's best to fill out the field, and just explain what happened should it come up. and if it doesn't come up, maybe i should be proactive and explain.

thoughts?

for reference, i'm eight years out of school. never thought i'd have to worry about gpa and telling a potential employer of my depression years again but uugghh.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 14, 2016

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Abel Wingnut posted:

i applied for a DBA position at a museum two weeks ago. yesterday, the potential boss invited me in to interview with them and HR. they also want me to fill out their own application. the application asks for most things my resume already supplies. it also asks for my college gpa.

my college gpa is terrible. like...2.47 terrible. i battled depression in school, which killed the grades for my first 2.5 years. i ended up taking a year and a half off for it. after that stint i was fine. needless to say, i don't like giving my gpa, and i really don't like explaining why. should i still fill out this answer? i don't think any of these fields are required. But it'd certainly be suspicious if the gpa wasn't there. i feel like it's best to fill out the field, and just explain what happened should it come up. and if it doesn't come up, maybe i should be proactive and explain.

thoughts?

for reference, i'm eight years out of school. never thought i'd have to worry about gpa and telling a potential employer of my depression years again but uugghh.
Don't say depression if you don't want to. Just say illness. They can't ask and you don't have to tell.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I have a similar problem in a depression driven 2.5 under grad GPA (but a 3.6 in grad school). Problem is my shittiest semesters are on top when I send out a transcript.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I'm applying in an industry where academics are important, and my academic history is unusual. I didn't go directly from high school to university. I worked retail full-time and did night school at a subpar uni known for its continuing education program. So I don't have the school pedigree or internship history of other candidates. Hopefully supporting myself while taking a full-time courseload and earning the top GPA in my program is impressive enough to get around that.

But I have a feeling somebody will eventually ask me why I did it that way. The real answer is something like "my mom kicked me out of the house because I was gay". How do I spin an answer without disclosing that?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Saeku posted:

I'm applying in an industry where academics are important, and my academic history is unusual. I didn't go directly from high school to university. I worked retail full-time and did night school at a subpar uni known for its continuing education program. So I don't have the school pedigree or internship history of other candidates. Hopefully supporting myself while taking a full-time courseload and earning the top GPA in my program is impressive enough to get around that.

But I have a feeling somebody will eventually ask me why I did it that way. The real answer is something like "my mom kicked me out of the house because I was gay". How do I spin an answer without disclosing that?

Just say your family wasn't able to help you get through college. Nobody will try to push any further, it's a really common situation for a wide variety of reasons.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Saeku posted:

Putting yourself through college by working your rear end off and taking maximum advantage of the scant few opportunities you had is an overwhelmingly positive thing in every industry. Stop viewing yourself as an underdog. You're the real deal.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've been applying for jobs now for about two months and feel like my resume and cover letters were bad so I took to rewriting my resume. I feel like this is much easier to read and all the information that should stand out does. Thoughts?

http://docdro.id/J7SaVwT

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Any tips for applying for two positions at the same company, where I know the same person will be reading both applications? They both have similar requirements, so I don't know what to do for the cover letters. Identical ones are going to look lazy, but its not like my skills & work experience is changing.

Do you write an entirely new cover letter for each or what?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

huhu posted:

I've been applying for jobs now for about two months and feel like my resume and cover letters were bad so I took to rewriting my resume. I feel like this is much easier to read and all the information that should stand out does. Thoughts?

http://docdro.id/J7SaVwT

You have two "volunteer experience" sections, though the first one sounds like professional experience.

It's also a little light for my tastes but that's a preference issue.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
I'm applying for a job and the posting has this:

"TO APPLY: Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: email@email.com"

How do I handle the salary requirements part? I don't want to ignore it for fear that they will toss my application for not following directions. Should I put a specific number, a range, or say something like "negotiable depending on benefits etc"? I think the third option is just dodging the question and wouldn't look good. Has anyone come across this before?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Do the third option.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Had an interview with a big recruiter company which went really well but also made clear that what I'm trying to do is going to be pretty difficult (unless I'm taking a 40-50% paycut).

I'm currently in the field of application performance monitoring / performance testing and am pretty good at what I do. The problem is that I don't see any grow potential in the near future which basically means My job is going to become more and more repetative (and will result in :shepicide: eventually).

So I'm taking a CCNA course and get certified. The problem is that I have almost no experience in networking (besides getting my applications loadbalanced / building reverse proxies and maintaining them). Taking an entry level Network job probably means taking a huge paycut. My current company already made it clear they dont really want me to grow into networking asthey are paying em to do something completely different now.

This is basically what happened during my interview, they really liked me/the interview but don't see any opportunities in the near future, if at all. I could see and try to get ajob that does both application administration and some networking but there arn't many.

Not sure if I should even try to make this happen or if I should just take the great paying but boring jobs :negative:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

Had an interview with a big recruiter company which went really well but also made clear that what I'm trying to do is going to be pretty difficult (unless I'm taking a 40-50% paycut).

I'm currently in the field of application performance monitoring / performance testing and am pretty good at what I do. The problem is that I don't see any grow potential in the near future which basically means My job is going to become more and more repetative (and will result in :shepicide: eventually).

So I'm taking a CCNA course and get certified. The problem is that I have almost no experience in networking (besides getting my applications loadbalanced / building reverse proxies and maintaining them). Taking an entry level Network job probably means taking a huge paycut. My current company already made it clear they dont really want me to grow into networking asthey are paying em to do something completely different now.

This is basically what happened during my interview, they really liked me/the interview but don't see any opportunities in the near future, if at all. I could see and try to get ajob that does both application administration and some networking but there arn't many.

Not sure if I should even try to make this happen or if I should just take the great paying but boring jobs :negative:
What kind of performance monitoring/testing? Mobile's only getting bigger, and the need for people who understand performance certainly isn't going down. Are you a non-developer using some archaic suite or something?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

What kind of performance monitoring/testing? Mobile's only getting bigger, and the need for people who understand performance certainly isn't going down. Are you a non-developer using some archaic suite or something?

I'm mainly using the HP suite (BSM, BPM, RUM, SiSc for monitoring, Loadrunner for load/stresstesting) but am familiar with others as well.

Maybe it's just my current employer but I'm lacking challenges at the moment.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So I accidentally sent a "thank you for interviewing me" email without a subject and with one of the sentences magically being a larger font size than the rest. How hosed am I, guys? :byodood:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Seriously?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Unfortunately, yes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Was it larger because it was copied and pasted into the email?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Come to think of it, that was probably the case. I had been fiddling with the email for much of the day trying to come across very eloquently and professionally, and there was a specific sentence I wanted to make sure I didn't forget, so I had it in the clipboard. It's so great how everything can be going so well through the process until you have to send one simple email and can't get it right... :(

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If it makes you feel any better, I sent an email that was just my attached resume and cover letter by mistake to the last place for which I applied. I immediately sent an email that had the body filled in right after, and got an interview.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah, it's possible I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but it's just a little nerve-wracking waiting for some kind of response. I'm just hoping that the message didn't go straight to the spam folder because it included inquiries as to what the time-line is like to hear something back. I'm hoping I get a response so I can just own up to the mistake and apologize for the lack of professional appearance on the email.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Gin_Rummy posted:

So I accidentally sent a "thank you for interviewing me" email without a subject and with one of the sentences magically being a larger font size than the rest. How hosed am I, guys? :byodood:

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/gmail-undo-send/

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I have a Skype interview this week. I thought I'd be sent an outlook invitation with instructions for joining the Skype call. However, the interview coordinator asked me to send the info for them to contact me over Skype.

Is there an etiquette for setting up Skype calls? Should I give them my username or work on linking up my mobile number to my existing Skype account? It's a panel interview so there will be around 5 people joining the call.

Thanks, thread!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Fireside Nut posted:

I have a Skype interview this week. I thought I'd be sent an outlook invitation with instructions for joining the Skype call. However, the interview coordinator asked me to send the info for them to contact me over Skype.

Is there an etiquette for setting up Skype calls? Should I give them my username or work on linking up my mobile number to my existing Skype account? It's a panel interview so there will be around 5 people joining the call.

Thanks, thread!

Just give them your user name. Make a new account if your current user name is something terrible.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Inept posted:

Just give them your user name. Make a new account if your current user name is something terrible.

Perfect! Thanks!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Well, it's been almost three days (excluding the weekend). When should I start to worry that my email was ignored for looking like poo poo/potentially sent to spam?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I still think that you're worrying about the wrong thing. If you haven't heard back from them it's not because part of the message was a different font size.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
That's always a possibility, but I did feel like I walked away from a pretty solid interview. I answered each of their questions at length and tried to apply it with a lesson I learned or a mistake it helped me avoid in the future. I feel like they seemed pretty impressed with my answers and they liked my background, and on top of that I seemed to have a really good understanding of the job when they asked me to describe it in my own words.

I think I'm just worrying so much because I really want this job. Especially over what I have now. Career related stuff is just annoying and stressful. :ohdear:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Remember that the people on the other end of whatever communication you're sending were once in your shoes (probably...) so don't stress out too much :)

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, I recognize that this is going to vary from field to field, but I'd like to get a feel for the response rate other job seeking goons are getting.

I've been applying for 'data analyst' type jobs for the last ~2 months, and I'm up to 36 applications at this point. So far I've only received 3 courtesy rejections, and the rest has seen no response. It's fairly frustrating - but I do know the positions I'm applying for are easily seeing >100 applicants. I thought I'd have at least gotten an interview by now.

I've got a (kind of) relevant education, some work experience, personal projects, and a decent looking resume. I'm starting to think that mentioning I'm currently a graduate student in my cover letters is a bad idea.

Is this normal? Or is there likely something seriously wrong with my cover letters/resume?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Trees and Squids posted:

So, I recognize that this is going to vary from field to field, but I'd like to get a feel for the response rate other job seeking goons are getting.

I've been applying for 'data analyst' type jobs for the last ~2 months, and I'm up to 36 applications at this point. So far I've only received 3 courtesy rejections, and the rest has seen no response. It's fairly frustrating - but I do know the positions I'm applying for are easily seeing >100 applicants. I thought I'd have at least gotten an interview by now.

I've got a (kind of) relevant education, some work experience, personal projects, and a decent looking resume. I'm starting to think that mentioning I'm currently a graduate student in my cover letters is a bad idea.

Is this normal? Or is there likely something seriously wrong with my cover letters/resume?

We can't judge you and snicker amongst ourselves if you don't share the resume/cover.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Trees and Squids posted:

I was an administrative assistant and head of a $1 million stockroom for seven years, and during my search I put out over 150 applications with about 15 rejection letters, 10 of which came after an interview (or two). This after I used a service that I thought was goon-run but turned out otherwise (I'm not mentioning the name here after the shitstorm that thread turned into) to help me with my résumés and cover letter framing.

The only offer I got (and had to take) was a temporary job with Pennsylvania Civil Service, which adds a two-hour commute to my day.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Trees and Squids posted:

I just changed from archives / librarianship to the super unrelated field of business / systems analysis. I got interviews for six positions after applying to about fifty and half of those resulted in offers. I think that's likely better than average, even in a high demand field; 5-8% return seems about right. My resume/CV is pretty solid, and I used the same cover letter for everyplace I applied and just swapped out the position/company name.

(Since accepting my current position, I've gotten another 3-4 interview requests -- saying "thanks but no thanks!" feels good, but waiting two months to get in touch for an interview is ridiculous).

A good friend worked in corporate recruitment for a large company and said you should aim to apply for 3-5 jobs/day and after the first month, to expect an interview/week on average. If nobody's biting, you likely need a resume or cover letter overhaul.

Also remember! Your job search is a huge priority for you, but whoever is processing applications is working (quite likely) on a very different time scale/urgency.

Job hunting is the worst, it can be so disheartening and discouraging. I hope something works out for you soon.

E: clarity.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 26, 2016

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Alright, here's my censored cover letter and resume for your entertainment. Going over it again, my cover letter is pretty garbage. I also just realized there's a programming interview/get a job megathread that this kind of material is probably better suited in.

Anyway, I really do appreciate any feedback.

http://imgur.com/a/HZWZH

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 26, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Trees and Squids posted:

Alright, here's my censored cover letter and resume for your entertainment. Going over it again, my cover letter is pretty garbage. I also just realized there's a programming interview/get a job megathread that this kind of material is probably better suited in.

Anyway, I really do appreciate any feedback.

http://imgur.com/a/HZWZH
What's your expected graduation? I see it in your cover letter but assume that won't get read and your resume will just get skimmed. Your first job out of school you might want to have GPA on there especially if it's noteworthy. Otherwise I guess don't offer it if they don't ask. Also it's weird to me to put stuff like Excel, Powerpoint, WinSCP, or PuTTy on your resume. That's fluff. An example of something that hiring managers might actually care about in that list would be something like version control like git. You somewhat mention that you're familiar with it by linking a Github, but if you're reaching for fluff better to fluff with something managers might care about.

And yeah I'd try the programming thread too. They'll happily shred this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Your job should put you directly in line with some serious pay. I've been doing the monitoring side and working *towards* CCNA and basically getting CCNA should make that 6 figures no question. Networking guy + monitoring guy = $$. Same path. Keep searching and don't settle. Revise your resume and see what careerbuilder/monster/indeed/etc gives you, and aim *higher* than you are making. Entry level networking is easily *below* your skillset and capability if you have CCNA, regardless of real world experience.